Zauberheim - Kingdom of Magic RP

It's that time of year again for the Grad Academy tournament. What will this year have in store...

This is the place where one's fantasies can come true.
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Glyph Swordmaster
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Lizardman, Sea Bishop

Re: Zauberheim - Kingdom of Magic RP

Post by Phantom77 »

The swordsman new very well that name, Merlin Ambrosius the Archmage. Tales of his exploits in the Crusades say that his power rival even that of the Rayearth of Jormungandr. The mercenary was somewhat honored that he had the opportunity to meet and talk with the son of such a powerful man. "Ivadi, your name was? How interesting that I would me the son of that Archmage here today. Things keep getting more and more interesting. I take it your a senior here, as you mentioned the tournament. Why not participate in it? Afraid to fight Ms. Lisianthus?" The mercenary asked the question in a light-hearted, jovial manner. He waited for the boy's response as he chewed his meal.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Elemental Bomber
Favorite Monster Type: Wight

Post by hothead1021 »

the boy blushed a little at the swordsmans remark "I-it's not that i'm afraid to fight her, nor that i don't think i'm exactly strong enough to do well but...there are two things which prevent me from doing so. one is that i'm not very sure how to act around women. I feel my face flush and i don't really know what to say or do. Another...is well...i'm working on a project. one that might help me out more in battle but it's not completed yet." he explained.

Top 20 Mamono in no order
Spoiler: show
Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
Marthy and Mara: Thank you Minerva, for our bond with Megumi
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Phantom77 »

"A project you say? Huh, shame really, I would've like to face you." The swordsman takes a swallow of his drink before continuing. "If you don't mind me asking, what kind of project would you be working on? It must be very important if it takes precedence over the tournament."

The Iaidosai doesn't usually engage in open conversation like this. But somehow this boy, the son of the Archmage, caught his interest. He was different that most boys his age.
Last edited by Phantom77 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God
Creator_Drake
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Agent Planewalker
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Demon, Cyclops, Apophis,

Post by Creator_Drake »

------------------
Z. Magical R&D
------------------

Tibrus gave a nod to each student in kind when they responded, not taking any offence when young Ivadi and Peter left. He took a breath; they seemed to be doing well altogether which was good. Holding the package of rare sweets in hand he gazed at it a moment before placing it within his pocket, he wasn't one for sweets very often.

Looking back at Brandon he knew the boy had a question, and the Architect had a pretty good idea, given how unique Tibrus claimed the boy's ability was. Laying his hands on the table he gave a small huff through his nose.

"Well lad? While we've got the time, y'got any other questions for me?"
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor

Post by hothead1021 »

---------------------
Seraph Cafeteria
---------------------
"Well....I guess it wouldn't hurt to share with you. what i'm working on is an experimental Magic Battle Armor. it's basically a barrier of magic that can expand and retract based on the users thoughts. so far it's been good enough to deflect small things from arrow fire to being able to block a magic sword and deflect piercing weapons like lances. but what I found out was that it can absorb a portion of magic power."

He puts on a knuckle and focused. the swordsman saw a glowing blue circle on the back of Ivadi's palm. it started extending lines over his arm "for every magic attack i defend against with this magic armor, it's effectiveness seems to increase. and i can then utilize that stored mana for spells or focusing the magic armor on my legs and fists, making my hits stronger." he said as the magic armor is removed as he took off the knuckle "but like i said, it's still in the testing stages, i don't know how much mana this thing can absorb nor how strong exactly my defense or attack increases with this method. should the Magic Battle Armor break it takes about a full week to repair again. which is why I am so careful about this." he explained

Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Phantom77 »

The Iaidosai was intrigued by the knuckle the boy put on. He observed the glowing circle on the boy's palm. "So, you can absorb a finite amount of mana in your armor. And, you can use it to augment your physical and magical attacks, fascinating really." The mercenary takes another bite of his meat. "If you don't mind my suggestion, why not utilize a system of runic letters and glyphs in order to augment the armor. They can help increase the absorbing capabilities of the armor. Of course, you'll have to temper your physical attributes in order to effectively use the runes in that type of situation."

Despite his small stature, the power had a large amount of intelligence within him. The swordsman was impressed. While he continued to eat, he remembered the man he had spoken to earlier: Ventreus Allo, the Royal Court Mage. Perhaps he could help the boy more than he could, after all, the swordsman's application of runes was very esoteric and archaic.

The swordsman began to speak again. "Ivadi, if you don't like my ideas, what if I could introduce you to a man named Ventreus Allo. Do you know him? He's the man who can see the essence of all things."
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor

Post by hothead1021 »

"heh heh I doubt i'll have any trouble augmenting my physical abilities. I'm rather skilled in Martial Arts." he said as he was somewhat glad his father taught him that as well. "but i am interested in what you suggested. That might be a good idea, but the problem is finding which runes to do what.." he said as he then heard the swordsmans suggestion "hmm? yeah I know him. he took over as court mage after father left. if you think he can help, then sure." he said smiling

Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
EndZoner
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Zoner of The End

Post by EndZoner »

---
Z. Magical R&D
---

Brandon waved off his two fellow students as they left. He popped the candy star into his mouth before returning his attention back to Tibrus Heatherman. "Uh, yes actually. I'm curious about how unique my ability was when you mentioned it was the 3rd most unique. I was wondering what was the most unique ability you've seen so far.", he asked.

---
Cafe: Location of Annabelle and Rielle
---

As swift as the wind, the shadow had finally made it to the location of the two Orderites he found. Stopping just outside of the cafe, he slowly appear out of his shadow and stood on the familiar earth. Reaching for the badge with the word 'Nobody' on it, he pulled the badge off and toss it aside. With the spell now gone, everyone outside was now aware of his presence. Ignoring the stares he was receiving, he walked into the cafe. However, he pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote 'To The Place of The Future' on it. It's something that he may need in case of emergency. Always be ready! That out of the way, he entered the cafe.

The sound of the door opening, few people looked at his direction. The rest eventually became aware of him when the atmosphere change from peaceful to curiosity. His mask was visible for all to see and it made several uncomfortable. A waitress hesitantly walked up to him and greeted him. "H-hello! H-how may h-help you today?", she asked timidly.

Word Play finally spoke and his personality was a surprise. "Sorry, sorry! Heheheh. I'm just a customer with a mask!", he stated as if it was meant as a joke of some kind.

"I-I see. S-so what would you like?", she asked hesitantly as the atmosphere became awkward.

"I would like an Order! Two actually!", he stated as if nothing is wrong.

"B-but what kind of order?", she asked curiously.

"The Chief God kind!", he stated excitedly he pulled out a small slip of paper and a marker. Using the marker, he wrote the word 'Sealed' on it in kanji. Flicking the slip of paper aside, it fluttered over to the door of the cafe and sticked itself onto it. The symbol glowed as well as the exterior of the cafe. If one were to try to enter or leave, they would find that the door is locked tight. The windows became stronger than glass and shut tight as well. It's almost as if someone sealed the cafe from internal and external forces. Which was indeed the case.

Some of the customers attempted to leave the cafe verified that the cafe is sealed shut. Leading to a panic in the cafe. Assuming the worst case scenario, everyone believes Word Play had taken them hostage. Though, that is not the case. It was to make sure the two Orderites don't leave. Getting annoyed by the panic in the cafe, he used his marker and wrote 'Bang' on the table. Don't worry, it's washable! A loud 'bang' was heard in the cafe that caused everyone to be quiet.

"Yeesh, you people make it sound like I'm going to rob or kill you.", Word Play suggested to the horror of the costumers, "Though, I just want to kill two certain people really.", he muttered to himself as the atmosphere turn into dread. "Oh, don't worry! I just want to play a round of Shell with two Orderites! I have no desire of playing with the rest of you guys.", he reassured as the atmosphere lessened. "Now, which of you guys are Orderites? Come on, don't be shy! I'll even make it a reward game! Winner gets the die and loser gets paper!", he stated as he pulled out a large rolled up sheet of paper. He always enjoy playing around with The Order. It's so thrilling!
Creator_Drake
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Creator_Drake »

------------------
Z. Magical R&D
------------------

Tibrus gave an easy nod.

"Not surprised you picked up on that bit, lad. I'll restate what I said however, as it's my personal belief that to say something is unique is a matter of your point of view. Also, when I said that your ability was the 3rd most unique I've seen, I meant it as your ability is the 3rd unique ability I've found out about in sequence from the first. By that logic your ability is just as unique as the other 2 I know of, it's just 3rd down the list." Taking his arms from the table Tibrus closed his eyes and took a moment to gather his thoughts, which didn't take long.

"Right." Opening his eyes he gazed at Brandon. "One of the other 2 abilities comes from someone you might already know, given that he's a graduate of Seraph Academy from not too long ago and currently works for the King. You might know him as the Court Mage, Ventreus Allo. I found his ability unique not only based on what he could do, but his apparent perspective concerning it. From what he told me he can essentially see the essence of the things in life around us; you, me, the Academy, the ground, you name it. From what he describes this essence is made up little orbs he calls motes, which form various patterns. Not only can he see these 'motes' but can also manipulate them and create new patterns, and from that new and powerful spells. The Royal Families Venom Seeps from Shadows spell? That was his creation."
EndZoner
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Zoner of The End

Post by EndZoner »

---
Z.Magical R&D
---

"Woah.", Brandon simply responded to Tibrus' information. He had heard about a prodigy becoming a Court Mage before, but he never knew the details. To think that one with that ability made such a great name for themselves. Especially if they managed to impress the Royal Family to the point of making them a Court Mage. It makes Brandon feel hopeful that he can make a name for himself as well. He wonders who was the other one with a unique ability. Wait, why should he wonder? He could ask Tibrus himself!

"And what about the other? What was that person's ability?", he asked with curiosity.
Creator_Drake
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Creator_Drake »

------------------
Z. Magical R&D
------------------

Now here Tibrus did something that most would find surprising; he chuckled. Most knew him for his serious and no-nonsense attitude and highly focused mindset. Unlike most though, people like his kids and very close friends got to see this side on occasion. With a small ghost of a smile on his face he rested his chin on a fist while placing the other hand back on the table.

"Now this one is a bit interesting. It's an ability I've only seen once in my entire life, back when I was around your age, lad. Not many even know what this power is, considering the one who uses it hasn't been seen for a number of years and his appearances are far and few between, as strange as it sounds. Tell me lad, what do you know about the Cloaked Wanderer?"
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Supreme High ArchChancellor
Personal Title: Homeless Drunkard

Post by KillMoves »

Assassin was running, nay, sprinting across the Academy halls and towards the cafeteria. He had forgotten something. Something very, very important. Something he was too professional to not see. As he dashed, he silently scolded himself for making such an obvious but grievous mistake. Sweat began to flow downwards on his face from both fatigue and fear. He also hoped Peter would be still busy as it was not in his best interests to keep the boy waiting as he might wander off.

The hooded person burst into the cafeteria and saw a boy with snow-white hair chatting with the man who got in trouble with the Princess. He did not pay attention to them and saw the tables made the area hard to sprint to. Time was of the essence and climbed on top of one of the tables and there he ran and leaped from one table to another. The occupied table was near the counter and Assassin leaped, landing hand-first into the table and expertly not touching any of the student's sweets nor the stranger's food before using his hands to propel himself upwards and landing just behind the counter.

"Bilbo? Is there something wrong?" His Holstaur colleague asked but she was merely brushed off as Assassin walked into the kitchen. There he went to the last place he was and there it was. His secret weapon. Again he scolded himself for leaving the object behind and potentially letting anyone find it. But he sighed in relief and put the weapon where it belonged. "Umm, Bilbo? Is everything alright?" Assassin looked at the monster and nodded once for she was right.

Assassin then exited the kitchen and into the cafeteria, sitting on a table right in front of the occupied table. Panting and catching his breath.

ELSEWHERE

It appeared a man in a mask wearing a white clothes and a mask had just locked the place down by writing stuff. This did not go unnoticed by the two Orderites who did not panic but their interests' were piqued when the man asked for two Orderites. The two stood up and faced the man.

"Another person exacting revenge on the Order." Rielle said. "Tell me? What'd the Order do? Burn down your village, killed your family, waxed your lover? Or maybe you were tired of the suffering they caused?"
"Oh don't be like that Rielle. This man may just be lonely." Annabelle told her ally. "You can join as you know?" She told the man while holding her arms over her voluptuous breasts, emphasizing it. "I don't know what those other Order bastards did but this part of the Order is more accepting and a lot less brutal." The cannibal seductively told the man. "Because if we weren't, would we be inside Zauberheim mingling with monsters?"
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Phantom77 »

"Yes, I'm sure having him help would greatly assist in your project. You know, I was just talking with h-" The mercenary's cut his sentence short when he noticed someone bursting into the cafeteria. The person he saw appeared to be the hooded man he saw earlier today, the person who was going to the academy at the same time he was. While the cloaked figure's head was mostly obscured by the hood, the mercenary could something was amiss from the man's dripping sweat and labored breathing.

"Is something wrong?" By the time the swordsman realized that the hooded figure ignored his words, the man was suddenly jumping across tables. One after another he leaped across the room, even jumping on the table Ivadi and swordsman were eating at. He then witnessed the hooded man jump over the counter and storm into the kitchen, also ignoring the Holstaurus worker present. Thankfully, their food remained unscathed. The swordsman made a light sigh after that moment. "I witnessed that man's acrobatics earlier while traveling through the eastern city, before I reached the school. I wonder what could be wrong with him to display such feats while indoors?"

He then turned to see the man walk out of the kitchen, now calmer but still displaying heavy breathing. He sat down in a table in front of them to rest, trying to recover from his fatigue. He then began to speak to Ivadi. "You certainly have some....interesting characters here in the kingdom. And I thought I was the only strange one. At any rate, I was saying that I was just speaking with Ventreus about my business here. He should still be in the building, with luck you can talk with him right now.
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor

Post by hothead1021 »

Ivadi simply sipped some of his drink as he watched the assassin leap about table from table looking for something. when things have finally calmed down they talked again "well...yeah, this is a magic academy after all. and i'd love to. do you know where he might be?" he asked as then something in his mind is telling him that me might get into trouble with the princess again if he leaves him alone. but he then figured he could handle himself.

Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Phantom77 »

"We spoke not too long ago in the Head Master's office. I left after he told me what I needed to know, so I'm not entirely sure where he is at the moment. I assume that he only came to the school in order to meet with me, so he may have left already. However, I told him to inform the tournament officials of my acceptance in the competition, so you may find him going to meet with them."

The swordsman having finished his food takes one last sip of his beverage. After that he takes his tray glass and puts them in the dish stack. He then returns to the table to ask Ivadi one final question. "By the way, I was interested in the kingdom's magical R&D department, do you know a quick rout to get there?"
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor

Post by hothead1021 »

"well isn't this a surprise, I actually just came from there." he said as he pulls out a map of the academy and drew a path for him "just follow the path here, and you'll find yourself there." he said as the map was a standard issued to every student here on their first day so it was very detailed making it easy for the swordsman to reach his destination. he then got up once he finished his meal "thanks again for the information. i'll see if i can go find him." he said as he placed the tray away before bowing and heading off to find Ventreus

Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
DJ Pon3
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: The best damn DJ in the land.
Favorite Monster Type: 1: Dragon 2: Enchidna 3: Lamia

Post by DJ Pon3 »

----------------------------------------------
Seraph Academy Head Master's Office

Ventreus was now screwing around in the Head Master's office. He'd gotten this room for an hour on the idea that the negotiations would take at least that long, but they were not in here for more than a simple 5 minutes. So now he had the next 55 minutes in this room to himself. He sat back down in the Head Master's chair and looked around the office. At least now he knew why the Head Master always looked so agitated when he was sitting here...the flooring and the wallpaper were a terrible mix. Add in all the shelves full of awards and cheap-looking artifacts, and it really all was a subliminal eye-sore. Then again, maybe the Head Master always looked so grouchy because most of the time he himself was in here, he'd blew up, sunk, froze, or risen ghosts to haunt, another classroom. He'd had a very full experience in his days here.

He placed his hands on the desk in a serious manner, and put on his best unhappy face. With his best imitation voice, which was a bit overdone, he spoke. "Have you any idea what rule-breaking catastrophe infallibly seated you in my office today, Mr. Allo?" He waited a few seconds, and then smiled brightly, resisting the urge to laugh. 'That was kinda fun. No wonder he never yelled at kids. Using unnecessarily big words for the most simple of things was MUCH more intimidating.' He had quite a while left in here...what did he plan on doing though? A minute or two passed, and the idea struck him. Digging into his robe, he produced a smaller tome of sorts, and opened it nearer to the end, and set it on the desk, and while reading notes he'd taken earlier, begin to look from the book, back to the middle of the room, wave a hand around a little bit, look back to the book, look up, wave his other hand a bit, wave both hands a little bit, look back down to the book, into just a continuous cycle.
"Do I have to get my Bass Cannon, or will you be good?"
War is good. It stimulates the economy for both sides taking part in it; and as long as there's demand, I'll have a supply!
Naa, war is boring. There's never any good music made about war.
You realize I'm a merchant...not a DJ, right?
Oh, that's what you're doing wrong! I knew it was something, couldn't quite tell what.
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor

Post by hothead1021 »

Ivadi soon arrived at the headmasters office. Since the swordsman told him that Ventreus was talking to tournament officials, that would logically mean that the headmaster would know where he might find him. Ivadi relaxed a little, he had liked the headmaster despite his intimidating appearance and usually wouldn't mind doing some oddjobs when asked. but still he was intimidating so he was always on his best behavior. with a deep breath he opened the door. "Excuse me Head Master, do you have a moment?" he asked

Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Phantom77 »

"Ah I see, thank you for the map." The swordsman slightly raised his hand as a sign of farewell as the boy bowed to him and walked off to find the Court Mage he himself had spoken to not long ago. Before leaving, the swordsman took one last glance at the hooded man. The swordsman still wondered who the man was, but he decided not to pay it much mind. He then looks at the map. "My this map is quite detailed, it seems the boy is adept at many a task."

Using the map as a guide, he then makes his way to the Zauberheim Magical R&D Department. What he wants there is anyone's guess. However, little did he know that someone else was also headed toward the department as well. The person in question wanted to meet with Master Tibrus.

-----------------------------------
Z. Magical R&D Entrance Hall
-----------------------------------

The princess and a group of student council members had made there way to the research department. The reason for their visit was so that Lisia could obtain some information from a well-respected man within the kingdom, Tibrus Heatherman. Accompanying the princess were three other students: a Jinko, Vampire, and the son of a powerful noble family. The vampire girl begins to speak, "I still don't see why you admire that stuffy old man so much, he's not even of regal background." Lisia turns to the vampire with a displeased look on her face. " Felicie do not speak ill of Sir Heatherman, his family has done a great deal for the royal bloodline for generations, so what if he's not from a background of above average prestige." The vampire smirks and scoffs at the princess's retort. "Still not above praising the common folk I see, how droll. Honestly hon, need I remind you of the meaning of status?" The boy with them steps between them, slowly waving his hands as a means to calm the two bickering girls. "Now, now I believe the princess has a point. While the man is no high-class noble, he still has done alot for the kingdom. Such knowledge of magic and architect should be respected from someone of Sir Heatherman's rank.

While the young was trying to defend Lisia's point his statement was still belittled the architect, which only served to further upset Lisia. The Jinko remained silent, her face stoic and null of emotion. Though one could tell she was annoyed by the bickering of her fellow classmates. She eventually decides to break the argument by asking the student president a question about the man she confronted in the courtyard. "Hey, Lisia, who was that man you were talking to earlier today?" Lisia, about to tell off the vampire, stops as she hears the Jinko's question. "Oh him, apparently he's a wanderer who was hired by my father for some reason. Sir Allo was supposed to meet with him to discuss the terms of his contract. Find it all to be pack of lies, really." The vampire suddenly show a strange interest in the subject. "Oh that guy? Why do you care about some strange foreigner? Don't tell me you have the hots for him, Anri..." Anri looks at Felicie with a sharp glare while blushing. "No, I was just wondering because I couldn't pick up his scent. It's like he was masking it somehow." The vampire pauses for a moment, as she thought it was strange how only Lisia was able to spot his presence. "Come to think of it, it was weird how Lisia was the only one who was able to spot him. Even I couldn't sense his mana energy."

The young man now begins to speak, "That man has some impressive damping abilities for a mere wanderer, it took the princess's Shining Light just to sense's his energy signature." Lisia now calm, urges the others to get back to the matter at hand. "I suppose we can ask Sir Heatherman about it when we meet him, perhaps he'll know about the man once we describe him. But more importantly, we need to ask about how things are going at the Luminous Citadel." Lisia looks around for a moment and finally finds Tibrus speaking with another fellow classmate: Brandon Valiquette. "Ah. There he is, let's go talk with him."
DJ Pon3
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: The best damn DJ in the land.
Favorite Monster Type: 1: Dragon 2: Enchidna 3: Lamia

Post by DJ Pon3 »

Ventreus looked up from the Head Master's seat, and his mote arranging when he heard the door click open.
"Excuse me Head Master, do you have a moment?"
Ventreus blinked. And then blinked two more times. All of the motes were getting in the way, so it took a few blinks to disperse his vision. His hands were currently extended out, and were positioned as if he were holding a fireball, though the student could not actually see any type of magic within his grasp. Ventreus slowly lowered his hands to hover just above the desk, and slowly pulled them apart. Once they were about a foot away, his fingers tensed up, and his arms jerked slightly; the boy felt a powerful rush of magic energy sweep past him as it exited the door. There was no visual clue as to what had happened, but the strong magic that just left the room suggested that a particularly powerful spell had been in the middle of casting. The Court Mage put his elbows on the desk, intertwined his fingers, rested his chin on the finger bridge, and leaned forward. "He's currently out at the moment. Can I take a message?" There was a book that was open on one corner of the desk, but it looked more like a tome of notes than a school-approved text book, and a majority of its pictures were of differently colored orbs, but the text was illegible upside down.
"Do I have to get my Bass Cannon, or will you be good?"
War is good. It stimulates the economy for both sides taking part in it; and as long as there's demand, I'll have a supply!
Naa, war is boring. There's never any good music made about war.
You realize I'm a merchant...not a DJ, right?
Oh, that's what you're doing wrong! I knew it was something, couldn't quite tell what.