Ruins of the Ancients - Battlemamono RP

This is the place where one's fantasies can come true.
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Re: Ruins of the Ancients - Battlemamono RP

Post by DogKama »

Magnus, it doesn't take you long to run and get your weapon (though if you were in the cavalry, it would probably take even less time). In any case, when you arrive at the north gate, you see a squadron of Centaurions gallopping off (about half of them with riders). If you're not mistaken, Knight Crusader Flavia is leading them, so you can take a breath and make sure the main force is going out in good order.

It doesn't take long for the legionnaires to assemble - whatever you might think about the tendency of some of them to... interpret... discipline in a rather relaxed way (your new subordinates come to mind...), most of them do move very quickly when it's called for. And speaking of your new squad, Giovanni and Ilaria are close behind you. While they move towards the north gate (probably to get a better look at what's coming), Ylva appears behind you. With a quick salute (even she can observe the rules, she just usually gets a kick out of messing with you...), she reports, "Knight Crusader Flavia has taken her squadron out to protect the caravan, the 386th century is assembled and ready." After a moment's hesitation, she adds, "And one of the legionnaires saw two of your squad running off to the north."

"No wonder I shelved these." Magnus commented as he ran through the streets toward the front gate.

Being carried by his right arm was his standard issued body shield, roughly half his height and weighted way too much considering how thin it was. Hanging just off his belt was his custom made officer sword, the very one given to all newly minted officers as a gift; the blade itself is rather long and slim, closely resembling a long twig that curved slightly at the tip. When he first received the blade, it was a proud moment for him and Isadora since it meant relying less on the good graces their relatives and could finally start supporting themselves a bit better. Plus he had his own blade!

Growing up in a house closely tied to the Calvary had left Magnus continuously exposed to many facets of military life, especially to equipment they used. Magnus' father from time would let him hold the very sword his mother and father used, and to hold such a heavy piece had left an impression. He thought once more about his own blade and huffed in disappointment. The sword likely wasn't even meant for use, but it was all he had.

By the time he reached the gate, Magnus was feeling a bit winded but did his best to hide that fact as he double timed passed his century still forming up. As he jogged pass the forming rows, shouts of and yells covered in the powerfully deep clanks and thuds of hoof steps caught his attention and was surprised to see the Centaurions squadron in the distance. Magnus thought Flavia might be leading them given how the lead one did look like her and wore similar rank attire. Still, the fact they were still in sight filled him with pride knowing his century had responded far faster than expected.
"Knight Crusader Flavia has taken her squadron out to protect the caravan, the 386th century is assembled and ready."
Magnus quickly turned around to see his favorite trickster standing at attention. With how discipline and knowledgeable Ylva is its a mystery why she hasn't risen through the ranks faster. He could hazard a guess a reason for the lack of progress but surely acting slightly goofy wouldn't hurt her chances that much could they? Maybe after this matter was settled he would talk to the Perfect about Ylva's chances at a promotion, she's wasting that talent acting as his XO.
After a moment's hesitation, she adds, "And one of the legionnaires saw two of your squad running off to the north."
"You got to be kidding me..." Magnus once more turned around to look down the path that led through the gateway and over hill some distance way before looking back to Ylva.

"Just TWO!" He practicably screamed has he scanned the soldiers amassed behind them and for the life of him couldn't see any that stood out. All legionaries of his Century were present and accounted for. His gaze found Ylva's and waved off her salute, meaning she could fall to parade rest.

"Ylva, there's 100 legionnaires here not including us. I want you to assume command of squads 6-10 and follow my lead." He told her before suddenly yelling for squads 1-5 to double time on him as he ran out the gate.
Last edited by DogKama on Mon May 23, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Firedragon
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Master of Dragons
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Firedragon »

Magnus, you find a moment to wonder whether you should commission equipment more to your liking. Now that you're commanding a squad of 'special forces', the usual regulations concerning weapons and the like might not apply. And while your current sword is probably good enough for what the average officer usually uses it for (read: not much), if getting sent out to put out bushfires becomes a common event, a weapon you feel more comfortable with might come in real handy. Not to mention that it could probably be enchanted to add a little extra power to your attacks - Isadora's Ice magic comes to mind.

"Sir, yes, SIR!" Ylva barks at your command to take half the squads, though the glint in her eyes suggests she's making fun of you. Again...
In any case, you quickly lead your troops to the north where the caravan should be, where the Centaurions should do their 'cavalry to the rescue'-routine and where two of your subordinates have run to. Wait - TWO of your subordinates? Have you already lost half your new squad?!?

Itami, your arrow takes down the owlbeast in a prime example of expert marksmanship. Of course, since suddenly your new friend the legionnaire jumps onto its back and plunges his weapons into the loci beast, it's something of an overkill. Still, dead is dead. Now you'll only have to repeat this again. About five or six dozen times...

Of course, chances are you won't find time to worry about minor little details like that since several of the newly arrived owlbeasts split off from the main group and charge up the hill (a quick count tells you that you have seven problems aiming for you). This is definitely unusual behaviour for owlbeasts - or any other kind of loci beast, come to that. Hell, even highly trained soldiers would likely not react that quickly.
And your position on the hill isn't really great, either, though there are some large stones you should be able to climb so that you'll at least have a fighting chance (owlbeasts aren't exactly great climbers or jumpers, so trying to get to - and keep - the high ground is probably your best bet).

But why of all times do you have to think about Pauline now - and about how good it would be to have her at your back in this situation?

Xander, while you run after the Centaurions, you have time to remember one rather important detail about centaurs (or practically any tauric mamono, come to that). Excepting really unusual circumstances, most of them only accept their husband, a harem sister, or a child on their backs. And since you are neither, asking for a ride would probably be... unwise...

When you join the battle, you quickly realize that the best you can hope for is to somehow stay alive until reinforcements arrive. Reinforcements for your side, that is. Still, your shriek does seem to distract the owlbeasts momentarily, allowing the mamono with the caravan to drive them back a few paces, and your spell to help the Bouldacea seems to have worked, too, which is a surprise, since spells like that usually require much less distance or a much closer connection to the recipient.
Be that as it may, Itami's arrow and the sudden attack of the legionnaire and his wife you've just met do take down the owlbeast that was going for the mage down there, but it also alerts the other loci beasts to your presence, so now you'll have to come up with a way to survive seven of them coming for you. Can the day get any better?

Giovanni, just as your weapons sink into the loci beast, an arrow thuds into it. A quick look around tells you that your new friends are up on a hill and doing what they can, but seven owlbeasts are already on the way to do something about it. And quite a few more are coming straight for you and the few defenders.
The ogre and the inumimi manage to drive their attackers back for a moment, so you can grab the mage you've just saved and push him into a (slightly) safer position before forming a defensive line together with Ilaria and the two mamono. A very small and thin defensive line that's looking at several dozen owlbeasts. The two mamono and the other members of the caravan have already killed about twenty of the loci beasts, though everyone you see shows signs of fatigue and the two mamono are also sporting a few small wounds. Things could be worse, you suppose, though not by much...

Lumen, the sudden appearance of two legionnaires and an arrow suddenly sprouting from its neck save you from becoming an owlbeast snack. A quick shove pushes you behind the now four fighters where you should be at least a little safer (and not get in their way...). You stumble a little but manage to stay on your feet. Turning back around, you see that your situation hasn't really improved that much, but maybe you will actually see the sun go down today.
Wondering how you could help the four fighters, you suddenly notice a light rumbling that's more felt than heard. Unless a whole army is coming to your rescue (and how likely is that?), something big seems to be on its way. As if a horde of hungry owlbeasts wasn't enough...
TehDanimal1
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Stalker
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Dragon and many others

Post by TehDanimal1 »

I make a gratified motion towards where the arrow came from, well at least it seems they kept up. Seems the archer is pretty accurate with his shots, but no time to marvel at that, I looked at the mage. At a quick glance he might be exhausted, "You there, if you can move your legs get going to my companions back over there," I pointed towards where Itami's arrow came from. "Get going as soon as you can! We can cover the retreat," I pointed at Ilaria, the Bouldacea, the Wulfguard and myself. We needed to retreat, I looked at Ilaria, "Babe, whip up all the dust and dry grass around here I got an idea," she nodded. I shouted at the Boldacea and Wulfguard "Once it get's dust start pulling back to that spot on the hill!" I pointed to where I thought Itami and the mage was. If we're lucky this will be one explosive retreat signal.

Grass and dry debris started to swirl and make a kind of billowy, transluecent wall in front of us, just wide enough to cover our escape and just a bit taller than myself. "Now!" I shouted letting loose the fireball in my hand, Ilaria and I both started running to where we thought we told everyone to go. I hope I gave them enough time to run.
Animajunki123
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Baphomet lover
Favorite Monster Type: Baphomet.

Post by Animajunki123 »

I could only breath a temporary sigh of relief as the shriek did as it intended. However, it only lasted long enough to provide as a momentary distraction for the group down below before, surprise surprise, the group focused it's efforts on the asshole who wrecked their eardrums.

A.K.A me.

Thankfully, it seemed as if the roguish one of our group, Giovanni and his wife, had made an appearance down below. What I was not happy to see was that he had decided to come of his own accord. Meaning I still had no idea when backup was going to be here. I seriously had to ponder how a few dudes managed to outrun tauric type mamono, but that wasn't very important on my mental checklist so far. My current concern was how the owlbeasts managed to quickly figure out who it was that had sent out the sonic bomb. I'm pretty sure not even trained soldiers could react that fast. However, that was not my concern at the moment, the most pressing issue was Itami and myself where about to have 7 hungry and very angry owlbeasts on us if we didn't do something right quick. However, it seemed as if Giovanni had an idea of his own. I watched as his wife threw a dust storm of sorts up before he himself lobbed a fire ball into said dust. it took me a moment, but It hit me quickly what he was planning on doing.

However, there was no way that was going to last very long, if it worked at all. Remembering that owlbeasts where shitty climbers, I took a moment to see if I could find some kind of high reaching plateau of sorts that me and the rest of the caravan might be able to take cover on while Captain magnus and the Centurions made it here.

I'mma be realistic, outside of a wide scale suicidal attack from myself and the other mage, I don't see us fighting back such a large number of Loci beasts ourselves without some kind of help. For now, I take a moment and try to find another spot we can get a better advantage from. It takes me a moment, but I managed to find a decent spot we could use.

"Oi! Itami! I think I found a place further back we might be able to use! Owlbeasts can't climb very well right? this place might be able to help us with that!"
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Supreme High ArchChancellor
Personal Title: Homeless Drunkard

Post by KillMoves »

Our interference made the Owlbeasts a bit mad at us, sending some 7 of 'em after me and Xander. "Dammit all." I muttered under my breath. With so few enchanted arrows and so many Loci Beasts, our chances of survival dropped with each passing second. If only Pauline was here, she could mop these fools up with me watching her back. I'd give anything to have her by my side once more. But she was gone. Never to return. That was reality. A reality I sometimes rejected.
Animajunki123 wrote:"Oi! Itami! I think I found a place further back we might be able to use! Owlbeasts can't climb very well right? this place might be able to help us with that!"
Xander referred to a bunch of rocks we could climb and buy us time from getting eaten alive by the owl-bear monstrosities. "Alright! Let's go!" One of our guys, Giovanni I think his name was, put up some sort of fire wall between them and the Owlbeast, giving them enough time to form up and regroup. Meanwhile, I ran to the tall stones and got to climbing. Xander probably did the same but I was too busy scaling the rocks to notice.

Once I got to the top of one of the stones, I immediately readied my one and only Explosive arrow. I hoped these owl bastards grouped up so I can take a lot out in one shot. But when did things went my way? At the very least I could take two or three out and save us a bit of trouble. I still had three more enchanted arrows in my quiver but I doubt they can win this battle.
Zadocfish
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Zadocfish »

Something big was on the way; a rumbling shook the air. The battlefield was getting more and more chaotic. Lumen decided that following the directions of the soldier would be the best way he could help... They weren't as out of gas as he was, and they probably didn't need him getting in the way.

He would find somewhere he wouldn't be in the way, and start hurling some support fireballs. Again, he could at least divert some attention from a (relatively) safer position.
I am a Christian. I also really, really like fish.
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Magnus, you find a moment to wonder whether you should commission equipment more to your liking. Now that you're commanding a squad of 'special forces', the usual regulations concerning weapons and the like might not apply. And while your current sword is probably good enough for what the average officer usually uses it for (read: not much), if getting sent out to put out bushfires becomes a common event, a weapon you feel more comfortable with might come in real handy. Not to mention that it could probably be enchanted to add a little extra power to your attacks - Isadora's Ice magic comes to mind.

"Sir, yes, SIR!" Ylva barks at your command to take half the squads, though the glint in her eyes suggests she's making fun of you. Again...
In any case, you quickly lead your troops to the north where the caravan should be, where the Centaurions should do their 'cavalry to the rescue'-routine and where two of your subordinates have run to. Wait - TWO of your subordinates? Have you already lost half your new squad?!?

The double time did its job allowing Magnus and his Century to reach the sounds of fighting in a timely manner; he gave the order for the Century to descend into a normal march to give the legionnaires a chance to catch their breathes. The screeches of man and beast, sizzling of magic, clings and gurgles as steel met flesh.. all of this provided them entertainment as they casually followed the road up the hill. There in true to fashion rushing down the crest to the other side were two of this new command.

Magnus sighed. That was just two that Ylva mention seeing running off but that didn't account for the other two. Likely they were already in the fight making his Century once again the last to arrive.

The sounds of battle paused briefly as the recognizable sounds of fire reached their ears, followed by a loud scorching gust hitting their face.

"THAT'S OUR JOB!" someone called from the back, supported with murmurs of agreement.

Magnus looked over this shoulder and almost grinned at the eyebrows slanted downward in disappointment. The main culprits were the pyros of the unit and behind these pillars were their squad mates doing what they can to contain their raising infliction for battle. At least he wasn't the only one feeling the itch. The hill crest was fast approaching but not quick enough if aid was to be rendered or for certain itches for 'sparing' were to be sated and that was a problem.

Swooped up in the moment, Magnus did the unthinkable and that was breaking rank. There was no call for double time or barks of orders to draw weapons.. Magnus simply started walking a little faster. Unnoticed at first until he started pulling ahead of the formation and once he was maybe several yards out drew his sword and once more started gaining speed. No one said or did anything.. at first. The Squad leaders personally being led by Magnus mimicked the example only for their subordinates to follow their lead and so until the whole formation was sprinting to break the crest of the hill.

Like a beast pack they ran eager for the strain of the hunt to clutch their muscles before tasting the spoils. Magnus didn't know who did it, mostly likely one of the Inumimi by how naturally sounding it came, but soon(him included) were all howling together until they all broke the crest. Magnus and the 386th Fleetfoot Century had arrived.

Firedragon
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Master of Dragons

Post by Firedragon »

Giovanni, your tactic works perfectly well. The dust cloud slows down the loci beasts and the sudden explosion on top of it gives everyone in the beleaguered caravan enough time to get to the hill. Besides the Wulfguard and the Bouldacaea, there's also a foxgirl with two small children, two Aritects that could be twins (but then again, Aritects usually all look the same to most people anyway), a Bookwyrm, some kind of elf leading an old man, a small demon that's obviously trying to appear unfazed by the situation (and failing at it), another demon with a cloth wound around her head (Is she blind? But then again, she moves as if she can see...), and seven men (two of them have the look of mages, the others seem to be merchants or craftsmen). With a little luck - and some help from the faster and stronger mamono - all of them manage to scramble onto the rocks on top of the hill where Xander and Itami have already taken position.

When you finally get onto a large rock yourself, Ilaria is right behind you, grinning like mad. She gives you a quick kiss on the cheek and murmurs, "I like you hot for me, but you don't have to take that literally..." With that, she points at your smoldering tunic. A few sparks seem to have caught, though they are easy enough to put out.

Xander, together with Itami, you manage to get onto the rocks and fight off the loci beasts until your friends lower down on the hill set off a small dust storm and a sudden explosion (that seems to be more of a distraction than an actual attack). With the owlbeasts momentarily distracted, everyone scrambles up the hill and onto the rocks. You help where you can, but fortunately, some of the mamono seem to be more experienced and coordinate things.

Suddenly, a foxgirl carrying her two little daughters slips and you can only throw a quick (and, since you're already getting tired from channeling all this magic, rather weak) spell at the loci beast trying to take a bite out of her, but it is enough to stop it in its tracks for a moment, and a hearbeat later, the Wulfguard kills it and helps the foxgirl get up again.

However, your focus on this scene has distracted you and one owlbeast somehow found a way onto your rock. You see it jumping at you out of the corner of your eye and desperately try to dodge. You somehow manage to avoid the loci beast which sails over you and lands further down the hill with a screech that is cut short by a sharp crack (note to self: owlbeasts are not made for flying), but you also slip and start your own flight down the rock. Fortunately, your aborted flight ends up crashing against the Bouldacaea. Even more fortunately, your sudden stop is cushioned by her surprisingly soft front...
You feel yourself being hauled up the rock again and are now face to face with a grinning ogre. "While I rather like a guy who knows what he wants, don't you think this isn't the right moment?"

Itami, you manage to kill another loci beast and keep the remaining ones busy long enough for your legionnaire friend to set up his own distraction, after which everyone scrambles up the hill. There are quite a few people coming to join you in your somewhat dubious position, and you're forced to use your remaining arrows to keep back the loci beasts that still try to take them down, but somehow everyone manages to get onto the rocks in one piece.

For the moment, you're neither under attack nor required to do something stupid... err... heroic, so you take a moment to look around. The owlbeasts mill around the stones, growling obviously agitated. Even ignoring for a moment that you've never heard of that many owlbeasts forming a single pack (a normal pack consists of about half a dozen or so), as far as you know, they aren't exactly patient hunters. If their intended prey manages to get somewhere they can't easily follow, they'll usually go away on their own after a short while, but these owlbeasts seem to be willing to stay here for as long as it takes. Add to that the obvious coordination of the two groups of owlbeasts, and something is definitely off.
At the same time, you've never heard of anyone managing to actually control an owlbeast, let alone so many at once. As far as you know, even if a mage somehow managed to devise some kind of control spell, he'd either have to keep the loci beasts in sight all the time or somehow... bind... the spell to them...

Lumen, you get onto the rocks as soon as the legionnaires distract the loci beasts. You help the others get up there, too, and then you turn to the west, where you suddenly see a ruler-straight line of centaurs (some of them with riders) crest the hill on the other side of the caravan. With the sun glinting on their armour and weapons, they charge straight through the milling owlbeasts, trampling everything in their path. Once they reach the rocks on top of the hill where you are, they turn around and form a defensive line, with the riders dismounting and taking up position between the centaurs.

Unfortunately, there are too few of them to do more than hold the owlbeasts at bay, and even if your situation has changed from desperate to merely difficult, you don't really see how you're going to get out of this alive. And there's still the rumbling that seems to have grown in strength since you've last had time to pay attention to it.
Trying to determine where it's coming from, you think it might originate approximately in the direction the second pack of owlbeasts came from, and now that you're focusing on it, it seems to be more continuous than before, too. Almost as if someone (or something) had somehow... started it...

Be that as it may, the owlbeasts start attacking in earnest again, but then a large number of legionnaires on foot arrives at a run and charges straight at the owlbeasts, suddenly beginning to howl. Is that some kind of legion thing? You're not sure, but the bits and pieces you catch from the centaurs protecting you suggest they're as surprised as you are. Still, they quickly form up and charge the owlbeasts again, clearly intending to crush them between two charges from opposite directions.

Magnus, before your howling charge begins, you fleetingly notice that the members of the caravan you're here to protect are on the top of a hill on the other side of a large number of loci beasts, and the Centaurions are with them. In fact, you can see more than a few trampled loci beasts marking the way Flavia's squadron apparently took. As usual, she just charged straight at them, with no thought for more elaborate tactics.
But who are you to judge, charging straight at the loci beasts with your century following behind and everyone howling like mad? It's not as if your current tactics are any better...

Still, your strategy (if you want to call it that...) works perfectly fine, drawing the attention of the owlbeasts and giving the Centaurions the opportunity to begin their own charge. Caught between your infantry and Flavia's cavalry, the owlbeasts are quickly slaughtered, with only a few relatively minor wounds suffered by the mamono and men under your command.

Once the last owlbeast is dead, Flavia approaches you with a questioning look on her face. "Is howling during a charge normal in your century now, Magnus?" From behind you, Ylva (who else) replies, "Oh, if what Isadora told me is even remotely correct, he doesn't only howl in battle..." At this, Flavia is shaken by laughter, and the legionnaires who are nearby all suddenly turn away, trying to hide their chuckles. The Sulfurr, on the other hand, looks at you as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.
Too bad you have more important things to worry about now than putting your second-in-command on a leash. No, wait, scrap that mental image...
Animajunki123
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Animajunki123 »

Thankfully, the rest of the Caravan saw Itami and myself run for the outcropping rocks and had managed to follow us up here. I had to hand it to Giovanni, his idea worked quite well, though I was expecting more damage on the part of the owlbeasts. Beggars can't be choosers however, so I was happy enough with the mild distraction the explosion caused. Seeing as everyone was going to need help getting up here, I did what I could to assist getting everyone up on the rock we called a safezone. However, I could feel it in my body, I was slowing down and having trouble focusing. I channeled way to much today for what was normal for a graduating student. I was throwing around to much magic muscle, and it was really affecting me. Thankfully, the task of actual organizing and getting everyone up here fell to the more experienced of the caravan, so I wasn't expected to try to manage it.

However, my attention fell away from the group and to one foxwoman with her children trying her best to get her scared young up to the rock in time before the owlbeasts got to them. Or more specifically, one owlbeast that had pulled away from the pack and was running faster than the rest. Sadly, this fact struck home with me when the foxwoman fell down.

Fucking hell this day.

I quickly scan to see what could be done. thankfully, the Wulfguard had also noticed her plight and was quickly going to intercept the beast. Sadly, I could see that she wasn't going to make it in time at her current rate. I knew what needed to be done, and thus threw every it of magic I could (which was a very small amount by the way) into a fireball of sorts and chucked that fucker straight into the critters face.

Home run baby!

That small ball of flame gave the wulfguard enough time to kill the owlbeast and help the Kitsune up and rush her over.

However, my small victory was small lived since I had no power left and was literally fighting to stay conscious. But I had to stay awake, my life depended on it.

No, seriously. It did.

I had looked over to the side to see what I could, and lo and behold, one owlbeast had managed to scrabble it's way up here when I wasn't looking. Maters where made even worse when the Beast saw me in a particularly weakened state. Weak state= easy food last I remember. I couldn't focuse, I could hardly keep myself standing, but when that beast lunged at me, I put all my power into dodging magnificently(read as falling over cause I lost my balance due to 1/2 desperation and the other half out of the mentality of "fuck this shit!") out of the way. I watched it go sailing overhead and fall to the ground with loud screech that was cut short by a crunch. Note to self, Owlbeasts are not made to fly.

Sadly, I felt myself also taking a dive off the rock, my foot having gone ahead of me in it's excitement to get away. I felt the adrenaline pump through my body as I could see my death flash before my eyes.

No, it's not a man slaughtering owlbeast that kills me. It's not magical overexertion that does me in. NO! it's my fucking lack of grace and elegance to stop myself from falling off a fucking rock that gets me. Watch the Bards gloss over that little detail in the epic that was my pitifully short life.

I would have continued to curse the stupidity of my death, but I felt myself coming to a much gentler and much less lethal stop. I was somewhat confused by this sudden turn of events until I eventually mustered the strength to see that I had fallen into the bosom of the Bouldacaea who had fought so valiantly earlier.

I took a moment to process that.

Then I ran it through my head again.

I had fallen into the bosom of the Bouldacaea.

The Bouldacaea.

I would have panicked a bit, but sadly, the only thing I could do was look at her dead on as she carried me back up the rock and set me down in front of her, a big grin on her face as she looked on at me.
"While I rather like a guy who knows what he wants, don't you think this isn't the right moment?"
I would have mustered the strength to say something along the lines of 'I didn't do it on purpose!' The only thing that came out was a small and nervous laugh.

"Eh he he..."

I'll be honest, I was not sure how best to approach her company at the moment. It's not that I'm ungrateful for her timely rescue, I just don't know how best to deal with a Mamono who was so... vicious I suppose is the word. I had seen a Bouldacaea once before some years back and had been privy to see how she was. I could only attribute it to a vicious nature, and I didn't see myself wanting to associate with someone who was so crude and generally seemed to lack a kind of respect for others. However, this one before me didn't seem quite like that, but hey, I had just met her, maybe I was delusional right now.

My attention was diverted away when I heard the sound of charging hooves somewhere to my left.I quickly looked over and saw that the centurions had made it (Finally) and had run a good number of the owlbeasts down as the charged to the rock we were currently using as a base. It was a number, but it wasn't enough to fully turn the situation in our favor. That changed when Captain Magnus crested the hill and came charging to meet the owlbeasts in a pincer attack. I had to admit though, the howling was a bit odd to be hearing from a guy like him. Maybe it's a legion thing?
TehDanimal1
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by TehDanimal1 »

I felt pretty good, at least it worked out with as little flare ups as possible. Everyone looked wary, so much so seeing the mage trip and fall into the the Bouldacaea nearly had him laughing. The quick peck on the cheek from Ilaria turned into me grabbing and hugging her, with a little laugh and a light toss in the air, "Well that was fun!" I grinned holding Ilaria up. The cavalry and even Magnus finally showed up, cleaning up the surrounding Owlbeasts. Seemed even Magnus was going wild, howling in like some kind of mad Cubpup.

But now that we have some time to think I had some concerns. For a caravan the size that we saved, plus all those mages and bodyguards, could've easily taken care of small pack of Owlbeasts. Although not as many that had shown up, nor as organized as they were.

Wait how the hell do you organize Owlbeasts as well or better than the Legion? :hmm?: Let alone why attack this particular caravan? :hmm?: and who organizes Owlbeasts? :hmm?: Seems a waste of a talent, too many weird questions being asked and I bet you there were going to be no simple answers? "Love-fluff you ever known Owlbeasts to behave like Legionaries?" she just looked at me like I was telling one of my jokes, "Thought not, well means more fun stuff for us and Magnus I suppose," she just pouted a little after that.

"Hey, it's Itami right, that was a good shot but I was wondering if you or the mage noticed anything maybe even had some insight on those things?"
Zadocfish
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Zadocfish »

The owlbeasts were dead, and none of the caravan folk were. This was good. Some parties of the rescuers had already begun celebrating.

But there was still the rumbling noise. Lumen tried to get some of the others on the rock pile to stay where they were. The owlbeast assault was unusual for many reasons; the worst of it was probably not yet over. For the regular folk, being high up was probably the safest option.
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess

Post by KillMoves »

One fire arrow left and a s*** ton more Owlbeasts coming over for a bite or two. At least our efforts weren't entirely in vain, some people had gotten to the high ground and a little safe from the Loci bastards.

Now we and the Owlbeasts played the world-famous waiting game. I scanned the milling Owlbeasts again and again, waiting for one to make a move. I never really heard of these guys forming packs or teams, nor were they known for their patience waiting out their prey. These Owlbeasts were either incredibly smart or someone's pushing their buttons. I'd bet money on the latter. Whoever's pulling their strings, they must be worth their salt if they could bring these feathery beasts on heel.

Suddenly, the Owlbeasts tried their luck once more and my fire arrow was ready. I was ready to take down as much as I could with me.

However, the timely arrival of the Legion crushed the attacking Owlbeasts and inverted our chances of survival. They also howled as they charged and crushed the Loci beasts, probably making everyone wonder who the real beasts are in this little confrontation. But what's done was done and the Owlbeasts who were so lively earlier were nothing but dead meat lying in the ground.

I release a sigh and got down from the rock I was in. I surveyed the scene and found Xander sitting down with a woman who was more boulder than man. Magnus was busy with his fellow Legion people. I was ready to sit down and wait out for orders when the dude named Giovanni.
TehDanimal1 wrote:"Hey, it's Itami right, that was a good shot but I was wondering if you or the mage noticed anything maybe even had some insight on those things?"
"Well, they were organized that's for sure." I replied. "Unusual for them but I'm no expert, I can't say for certain."
TehDanimal1
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by TehDanimal1 »

KillMoves wrote:"Well, they were organized that's for sure." "Unusual for them but I'm no expert, I can't say for certain."
Unusual indeed. I looked and walked over at Xander, slapped his back, "Hah hah I see you found and interesting way of introducing yourself to the ladies!" I exclaimed with a shit eating grin, "but I need to pick your brain at the moment," took a breath, "You are relatively fresh out of the library, you wouldn't happen to have any knowledge on these creatures or how one could turn them into an army?" Those mages in their studies are always coming up with new ways of doing things, maybe a fresh one will let some light on our particular events.

I looked to the sky, wondering if a storm was rolling in
Animajunki123
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Animajunki123 »

During the middle of my flustered conversation with the Bouldacaea, I let my mind wander for a moment about the current situation going on around us. The level of coordination and pursuit that the owlbeasts had was above and beyond anything I knew of them to have, let alone implement against a guarded caravan. even then, as far as I knew, owl beasts did not hunt in packs, being a bit more territorial than that. which begs the question, what caused them to act this way?

Before I could start contemplating the answer, I felt a sharp slap on my back. I was so unprepared for it that I fell forward and right back into the ample bust of the woman in front of me. Quickly correcting myself (and trying rather hard to hide the blush on my face as I extracted myself from the generous bosom) I got to my feet, thankfully feeling a little more rested, and saw Giovanni. He apparently was asking me a question about if this attack was magical in nature or if I had any ideas about what may induce so many owlbeasts to attack. Putting my hand on my chin, I thought about it for a moment before I simply shrugged my shoulders at him.

"In answer to your question, yeah I know a bit about a number of Loci beasts in general. In answer to the second question, I'm unaware of anything that natural that might prompt a... heard? Horde? lets go with horde for now... a Horde of owlbeasts to attack in such a way. My only conclusion is them being controlled, but even then I'm sure you and Itami figured that much out. My question though is how. The only logical way to control so many minds at once is to either be a Mamono of outstanding power, or a large group of mages. Even then, I don't know of any real spells that allow one to control such a group with such precision... Actually, give me a second before I continue to theorize."

I turn my attention out toward the field and look at the bodies of the owlbeasts. If I'm going to find anything out, I'll need to check what kind of magic is in the area right now. Maybe that will tell me what I need to know. Thankfully, a simple detect magic can tell me something about the magic in the area, and it didn't require too much magical energy.

It's like the basic of the basic's after all.

Holding out my hands, I begin to move them about in arcane gestures, allowing me to feel the magical energy of the battlefield. However, I couldn't help but hear a small rumbling in the distance some ways off. Not thinking about it for a moment, I continue to examine what I can.
TehDanimal1
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by TehDanimal1 »

Animajunki123 wrote:"In answer to your question, yeah I know a bit about a number of Loci beasts in general. In answer to the second question, I'm unaware of anything that natural that might prompt a... heard? Horde? lets go with horde for now... a Horde of owlbeasts to attack in such a way. My only conclusion is them being controlled, but even then I'm sure you and Itami figured that much out. My question though is how. The only logical way to control so many minds at once is to either be a Mamono of outstanding power, or a large group of mages. Even then, I don't know of any real spells that allow one to control such a group with such precision... Actually, give me a second before I continue to theorize."
At least the mage was a little more informative, not exactly a how. Well maybe I can get a why, I walked over to the mage that an Owlbeast almost made a meal out of, "The name is Giovanni and over there," pointed to my wife, "is my wife Ilaria and we were wondering who you were and why anyone would go out of their way and control a 'Horde' of Owlbeasts to get to your caravan?"
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Magnus, before your howling charge begins, you fleetingly notice that the members of the caravan you're here to protect are on the top of a hill on the other side of a large number of loci beasts, and the Centaurions are with them. In fact, you can see more than a few trampled loci beasts marking the way Flavia's squadron apparently took. As usual, she just charged straight at them, with no thought for more elaborate tactics.
But who are you to judge, charging straight at the loci beasts with your century following behind and everyone howling like mad? It's not as if your current tactics are any better...

Still, your strategy (if you want to call it that...) works perfectly fine, drawing the attention of the owlbeasts and giving the Centaurions the opportunity to begin their own charge. Caught between your infantry and Flavia's cavalry, the owlbeasts are quickly slaughtered, with only a few relatively minor wounds suffered by the mamono and men under your command.

Once the last owlbeast is dead, Flavia approaches you with a questioning look on her face. "Is howling during a charge normal in your century now, Magnus?" From behind you, Ylva (who else) replies, "Oh, if what Isadora told me is even remotely correct, he doesn't only howl in battle..." At this, Flavia is shaken by laughter, and the legionnaires who are nearby all suddenly turn away, trying to hide their chuckles. The Sulfurr, on the other hand, looks at you as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.
Too bad you have more important things to worry about now than putting your second-in-command on a leash. No, wait, scrap that mental image...

Why Magnus started ever howling he couldn't put his finger on it.

He remembered clear as day it started with one of his subordinates giving into the throws and passion of a hunt and needing to vocalize this. Leading this Century composed mostly of Inumimi had effected him greatly; growing up on the family estate there was a similar, unseen feeling of bonds running between each member and Magnus felt traces of it here. Inumini have this family bond, a pack state of mind and it brought him the closest feeling of family since Isadora and him struck out on their own. He had tried for the first several months to cheer his wife up, with her feeling guilt about his 'temporary leave' from the house and thought it would be a surprise if her family were to show up and visit.

The only problem Magnus encountered was he shamefully didn't know much.. well anything about Isadora's family since the topic was always a mood killer. He had thoughts, concerns, and even desires to seek them out but would always put a blade to the throat it. Everyone's entailed to some privacy.

Since his generous promotion to Century lead and current rank, Magnus had been surprised non stop at how accepting and easy it was to assimilate with them. There were some normal trust issues and talk but after some ground rules and months of working together those were finally laid to rest. While its against protocol he couldn't help but occasional invite a member or two of his unit and their families over to his house for dinner. Usually it was for newer recruits or those needing a break from the problems nipping at their heels, and honestly it was for His and Isadora's welfare as well as theirs. A break for them as well.

His mind drifted to Ylva who understanding her, was likely enjoying this almost playful engagement with everybody else. She's a handful and surprised him how outspoken she could be given their line of work, one wrong word could end one's career. Still Magnus was gratefully for Ylva extending a paw to Isadora, it eased his anxieties knowing she had a female friend to speak with.

He moved swiftly to the right as a mighty winged paw crashed upon the ground next to him, Magnus and another legionnaire rushed the beast's side and rammed their swords between the ribs. It screeched horrifically as it swung its massive head side to side trying to grab one of the offenders, but failed as they matched its every turn. They were about to push their weapons in further when a riderless Centaurion ran by with her sword and sliced open the top of its neck, forcing the creature down for good.

Magnus quickly withdrew is sword from between its ribs and was thankful it hadn't broken. He took a pseudo stance ready to fend off another attack but found it faltering as he took in his surroundings. Most of his legionaries were like him lost at the sudden decline in beast, leaving many either standing where they stood or a few dashing toward the last few bastions of conflict. An orange fireball erupted further down the line in the direction nearest the caravan forcing most to shield their eyes from the heat, sending many running toward the bigger group.

The Knight Crusader spun around quickly to the clopping of hooves striking the harden earth; galloping toward him was a familiar sight he had seen earlier that day and on a regular basis. Flavia, an outstanding Centaurion commander, friend to his Isadora, and Magnus' childhood frenemy(friend and rival). Despite having lead the charge against the owlbeast twice she appeared unharmed with only a little spry of blood and sweat along her brow to show for the work.
"Is howling during a charge normal in your century now, Magnus?"
"Howling is something you do under the light of moon when the jug is out of reach and you're alone. No. We were informing our foe who exactly was coming to stop them." the Knight Crusader remarked even giving a single, amused chuckle.
From behind you, Ylva (who else) replies, "Oh, if what Isadora told me is even remotely correct, he doesn't only howl in battle..." At this, Flavia is shaken by laughter, and the legionnaires who are nearby all suddenly turn away, trying to hide their chuckles. The Sulfurr, on the other hand, looks at you as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth
The swiftness of it stunned Magnus as he briefly met everyone currently around him trying to see exactly who heard that obvious lie.. which was everyone in the immediate area. Swell. That was ONE time and that was strictly a request for the New Moons Festival because of something some mamono had mentioned. The fact Ylva knew about unsettled him greatly; it meant anything Isadora and him did, talked, or thought about was now potentially compromised.

Great, now he'll have to tread carefully at home as well.

Teasing and causal joke slinging is a typical art preformed in the military branches, even within the strictly discipline Calvary, but rarely if ever was Magnus ever on the receiving end. The act itself wasn't a bother or that if anything it would've been funny another soldier was on the receiving end but the matters of the home were meant to be private unless shared... damn it all. Magnus began looking around, trying to ignore the growing murmurs and stares directed toward him as he found his charges gathered around the various members of the caravan. The hammer in his mind began striking the anvil as the formation of a plan took shape.

First step would be to actually get to them, but that's simple enough.

"Oh, look! It's my squad who defied my orders and are now currently trying to hide among the merchants." Magnus suddenly said. There was a quickness in his movement and speech as he sheathed his officer's sword and started moving toward the small parting in their group.

"What leader would I be if I allowed their actions to go uncontested?"
Last edited by DogKama on Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zadocfish
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Zadocfish »

"The name is Giovanni and over there," pointed to my wife, "is my wife Ilaria and we were wondering who you were and why anyone would go out of their way and control a 'Horde' of Owlbeasts to get to your caravan?"
The question caught Lumen off-guard. He was listening intently to the rumbling noise, trying to ascertain what it could be. "Ah, uh, hello," he replied, quickly gathering his thoughts. "I'm Lumen. I've only been with the caravan since the last stop, so I don't know what kind of goods we might be carrying." It was as good an answer as he could provide, but his attention was also elsewhere.

Lumen said to the man in return, "Listen to that noise! It has to have something to do with the owlbeasts. Maybe it's some kind of... signal? What do you think?"
TehDanimal1
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by TehDanimal1 »

Zadocfish wrote:"I'm Lumen. I've only been with the caravan since the last stop, so I don't know what kind of goods we might be carrying."
Well that was less informative than I wanted, I furrowed my brow. A simple answer would've been nice.
Zadocfish wrote:"Listen to that noise! It has to have something to do with the owlbeasts. Maybe it's some kind of... signal? What do you think?"
And I guess I'm not hearing things, I looked up to see if there was cloud cover but there was nothing. I looked at my wife, her head was looking back and forth. She too was trying to find the source of the noise as well. I shrugged at Lumen, "Your guess is as good as mine."

Well we'll have some information for Magnus, when he shows up. As well as the good news that we somewhat saved the caravan with little harm done to them and ourselves.
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess

Post by KillMoves »

I saw Magnus coming over and boy did he look miffed. I don't blame him. Going off the rails doesn't exactly score points in any sort of hierarchy. Unless you were lucky, something I was lacking in.
DogKama wrote:"Oh, look! It's my squad who defied my orders and are now currently trying to hide among the merchants. What leader would I be if I allowed their actions to go uncontested?"
I let out a sigh before standing up and facing Our Dear Leader. "Yeeeaaahh, sorry about that. Not really used to this military thing you Legion guys do." I decided to take the fall. "I... uhh... dragged Xander in the... in the heat of the moment. If there's any sort of punishment, just put it on me." If anyone's getting kicked out of the team, it might as well be me. I wasn't exactly the most important cog in this machine. If not, then I guess I can just drink away anything Magnus throws at me. That's where I was good at anyway.
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

I let out a sigh before standing up and facing Our Dear Leader. "Yeeeaaahh, sorry about that. Not really used to this military thing you Legion guys do." I decided to take the fall. "I... uhh... dragged Xander in the... in the heat of the moment. If there's any sort of punishment, just put it on me." If anyone's getting kicked out of the team, it might as well be me. I wasn't exactly the most important cog in this machine. If not, then I guess I can just drink away anything Magnus throws at me. That's where I was good at anyway.
Magnus said nothing as he ventured closer to his collected team, even ignoring Itami's surprising willingness to take the fall. A noble trait on its own but a double edge sword in the field of battle, still it's an improvement hearing that then listening to him chug another bottle. No. Instead Magnus walked right pass them only stating "Follow." as he passed. You don't know it was directed at you or everyone but didn't get a chance as he kept moving toward the remains of the Caravan wagons.