30 day monstergirl challenge

General artwork and fan artwork may be shared and/or discussed in here.
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Tokusatsu Mastermind!
Favorite Monster Type: Kaiju

Re: 30 day monstergirl challenge

Post by AdventDestiny »

Yokai are Japanese spirits, usually very unpredictable and potentially dangerous. There are a LOT of different types of Yokai listed from actual folklore, but I knew right from the beginning that I was going to do a Kappa for the challenge. This version of the Kappa is based off of the combination of a frog and turtle, with an interesting twist; Kappa are described as having a cavity on their head that holds the water that gives them strength, but I reimagined it to be a very thin membrane over a semi translucent skull... which means what you're seeing his her brain through her skull! Her hair is the same as the external gills of tadpoles, and the front of her torso is also translucent, based off of a real species of frog with skin so thing you can see its internal organs! Finally, the "shell on her back has cavities that emit a noxious gas as a defense mechanism, calling back to the belief of Kappas being excessively flatulent.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

Ishirō Honda, director of the original Godzilla film
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Since I technically did several monster girls with multiple limbs, the focus here was creating a type of monster girl I haven't done before, so I settled on the Djinn, and Arabic spirit that is the source of the Genie in popular culture. This particular Djinn is heavily influenced by the mummy as well. Observant viewers may also notice that [besides the bandages, obviously] she's wearing the same outfit the Alien girl did. The reason for this is a recent decision to change the basic design and backstory of the Alien girl, and I found that her old original outfit worked very well here!

On a side note, I recently discovered that by doing multiple monster girls on the same day, then doing a bonus monster girl on the following spare day, that I'm actually going to hit the 30 day mark on monster girl 26! With this discovery, I've made the decision to actually add those extra days with more bonus girls, who will be counted as the missing days. I'll do one more bonus monster girl, that way I'll have a 35 Day Monster Girl Challenge, which to me sounds better than 34 days.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

For a while now I wanted to do my own interpretation of Medusa for the challenge, and now I finally have! I also wanted to go in a different direction with her, avoiding a supernatural nature for a biological one. She doesn't turn people to stone with her gaze, but blinds them by spitting venom like a spitting cobra. Her hair isn't made of snakes, but her tendrils with complex sensors capable of detecting motion, giving her a full 360 degree sensory network.

Going along this theme, I wondered how, if she was real, did Medusa become associated with turning people to stone? Then I realized, what if Medusa is a incredible sculptor! For the first time in this challenge, I may have finally created a character that aside from her physiology could otherwise pass as a normal character with a relatively normal lifestyle.

From day one, I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to fulfill the criteria of this challenge; originally I was going to use Medusa, since technically she's a defined character, but that felt like a cheat. I'm not really into the whole monster girl culture in general, so there weren't really any choices there, and the few western monster girls I knew of ultimately weren't appealing enough to be a favorite character. Finally I decided, well, all this particular challenge wants is your favorite monster girl character, but it didn't say that it couldn't be a monster girl from the challenge... I know, still kind of a cheat, so sue me!

My favorite monster girl from this challenge is the Siren I did as a bonus day, which is kind of fitting, as this is the last time I'm doing two monster girls in one day. I stayed mostly true to her original design, but modified her slightly, adding an extra digit on each limb, attaching the arm fin to the hand, and giving her an actual nose [her face just didn't see to work without it in any other angle]. It was also fitting that I did another sketch of her because of a new project I'm considering where you may see much more of her...

[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

Post by [BRindustries] »

Welp, looking over these i gotta say, nice work here! ^^ The drawing style is not my favourite, i gotta be honest, but the attention to detail is great! :3
(still not sure which one's my favourite, kinda torn between the ghost and the robot)
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

[BRindustries] wrote:Welp, looking over these i gotta say, nice work here! ^^ The drawing style is not my favourite, i gotta be honest, but the attention to detail is great! :3
(still not sure which one's my favourite, kinda torn between the ghost and the robot)
Thanks! I've been wondering if anyone's even noticed what I've been doing. I know my art's not high quality, but come on, I've been at this for almost an entire month!

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Strangely one of the easiest monster girls to do, obviously because it doesn't take much to turn something beautiful into something hideous. This is my idea for a Mimic, inspired by the RPG swords and sorcery monster combined with the shapeshifter from John Carpenter's The Thing. I thought, that while the RPG Mimic's habit of pretending to be chests was certainly an interesting dynamic, it doesn't take long before you walk up to all chests with your sword in hand, ready to slash and stab it to death.

But what if the Mimic could do more than imitate a chest? What if it could mimic anything, a chair, a bed, an animal, or even people? You get the paranoia from The Thing and dial it up to 11! After all, even the Thing could only mimic living creatures, imagining how much more terrifying that movie could have been if the Thing could literally been disguised as anything!

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Sorry, almost didn't finish this in time [hard to believe, considering how simple my works often are]! Again I took the easy route and used my beloved Siren for this, this time showing an entire group [the original that I've come to know as 'Mari' is in the background to the far left]. This gave me an opportunity to experiment with physical traits that would distinguish different individuals from each other, mainly through different skin patterns and the length of their 'hair'.

This also gave me another opportunity to rework the face again; first time around I experimented with trying to make an attractive but inhuman face, which I've been steadily working back into something more human and therefore easier to view as attractive.

Raet
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Reality Melder
Favorite Monster Type: Erumo, Bovi, Slime, Lamia

Post by Raet »

I second br industries! I love your attention to detail. Your mimic is great, mostly because it looks like an abomination that needs to be purged by a combined human aand mamonme effort
ImageImage
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Raet wrote:I second br industries! I love your attention to detail. Your mimic is great, mostly because it looks like an abomination that needs to be purged by a combined human aand mamonme effort
Thanks, I think. :^^;:

Damn those wings! Had to scan and rescan this several times to try and get it to fit, and it still looks off kilter. The idea was two angels, the Gemini Angels, representing light and darkness. The image of them holding hands with one wing on each side was inspired by the design of the Order Titan from the MOBA Smite.

Raet
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Reality Melder
Favorite Monster Type: Erumo, Bovi, Slime, Lamia

Post by Raet »

AdventDestiny wrote:
It means it's welldrawn, it looks like a resident evil boss!
ImageImage
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Raet wrote:
AdventDestiny wrote:
It means it's welldrawn, it looks like a resident evil boss!
Well that's what I was going for, thanks!

I know it may seem like it's not over, but officially it's been 30 days since I began the challenge on July 4th, so the 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge is complete... mostly! I do feel that because of my habit of not counting the bonus monster girls I did whenever I did two monster girls a day, there are still technically four days to do, which I intend to do at some point, but I no longer have the need to complete them on a time schedule, besides I honestly have no idea of what kind of monster girls I want to add to the list, sort of ran out of ideas at the Ogress bonus character. I'll fill in the remaining days sometime, but at the moment I have another time sensitive project I need to prioritize, which I will announce shortly.

This is Jira, an OC that I feel perfectly captures what, in my opinion, is the true definition of a monster girl, a being neither fully monster nor fully human. She began her existence as a fan-fic character that was effectively a feminized version of Godzilla, but since then she has evolved in a totally different direction, though maintaining some aspects of the source material in her physiology. The idea is originally Jira was a traditional kaiju-like monster, very powerful and intelligent, but now she has found herself confined to a mostly humanoid form, only possessing the ability to morph into several different monstrous forms for short periods of time, each form possessing different abilities and advantages in different situations. Jira is planned to be a significant character in a storyline I'm planning to create called The Menagerie.

[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

Post by [BRindustries] »

Gratz on completing all of the entries man! That's pretty darn amazing. :3 The group and Jira look very nice indeed :D
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

[BRindustries] wrote:Gratz on completing all of the entries man! That's pretty darn amazing. :3 The group and Jira look very nice indeed :D
Thanks, it was a true endeavor, but well worth it! Thanks to this I have almost forty new characters that I can spend years modifying and improving over time.

DecafPirate
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Professional Slacker
Favorite Monster Type: Kitsune, Lamia, Cheshire Cat

Post by DecafPirate »

1506926168443.jpg
Hey all, I'm doing my own 30 day challenge from here. I didn't know if it was appropriate for me to start my own thread, so I'm just gonna put it here. I still really suck, but here goes. I swear I finished this in the first day.
Edit: I kept having issues getting it to show, but I think I finally got it. Sorry about that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Haven't you ever seen a skeleton before? I'm always smiling on the inside."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

If it's the same challenge as the original it goes here. Other challenges would probably be better in it's own thread. I'm fine either way though.

That being said, I think it could use some more shading, because, to be honest, I can't make out a lot of the pic's detail. I take it your Monster Persona is some kind of fox?
DecafPirate
Magician
Magician

Post by DecafPirate »

Well, as long as you say it's fine, I think I'll leave it here. I don't think mine deserves a whole new thread, but if anyone else thinks I should, I'll go ahead and make one.

Yeah, it's pretty unfinished. I kinda rushed it because I got home from work late and I wanted to make sure I had at least something to show my friend before midnight. Plus I know jack shit about shading, goddamn am I holding myself back.

And yes, it's supposed to be some kind of kitsune. Decaf loves his foxes. Fluffy tails give me life.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

It's still better than what a lot of people can do (I can't draw for crap lol) That's cool you have a design going though! I'd like to see a different pose next time to get a good look of the clothes design.
DecafPirate
Magician
Magician

Post by DecafPirate »

Phew, just barely finished this before midnight. Day 2, werewolf. She's a punk. Wish I knew what anatomy is.
20171002_234443.jpg
Edit: I can't figure out why it keeps wanting to rotate the image and its really irritating me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DecafPirate
Magician
Magician

Post by DecafPirate »

Day 3, Vampire. Went with something cuter this time. Still can't figure out why the goddamn picture turns horizontal when it's vertical when I look at it on my phone.
1507101186637247651555.jpg
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Lol that's weird when I click on it, it's verticle too. ^^;

Vampire chibi is cute. :3