30 day monstergirl challenge

General artwork and fan artwork may be shared and/or discussed in here.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

30 day monstergirl challenge

Post by Flare »

Basically, draw 30 monstergirls, in a theme per day. Anyone feel like giving it a shot?
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Re: 30 day monstergirl challange

Post by Pierce »

I wish, if I wasn't so busy with other things...
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: 30 day monstergirl challenge

Post by Feathers »

I've been enjoying the influx of harpies thanks to this challenge. Day 1 FTW! My luck that the first day was for harpies! :mrgreen: A lot of them are admittedly not very good, but I've found some really nice ones at least. :D
Danimarion
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Snake Lover

Post by Danimarion »

This actually sounds pretty interesting. I might give it a go someday. :)
My deviantART-userpage: http://danimarion.deviantart.com/
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Tokusatsu Mastermind!
Favorite Monster Type: Kaiju

Post by AdventDestiny »

I know it's been a while since I last posted anything, but I figure I'm pretty much ready to get back into the artistic saddle, so to speak! I was glad to find that someone else here has heard of the 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge [though it's a bit disappointing to find so little interest in it], and though this topic may be dead I wanted to go ahead and announce my plans to take the challenge soon!

I've been interested in taking this thing for a while, but I've been hestitating because of self-doubt in my own artistic skills, something which I've decided to try and overcome here! I've also been planning on trying to create a couple new versions of the challenge myself [it shouldn't be too hard to build a second list, though I seriously doubt there'd be enough unused monster girl concepts left for a third!]

I decided to model any new list I create off of the basic format I interpreted from the original list...
Legend: Confined; has a very clear expectation of form that's pretty hard to reinterpret, though it's not totally limiting creativity wise, Semi-Confined; though still confined to a basic guideline of expected form, there's more room for creative interpretation in design, and Non-Confined; the only limitation is the guideline, and the definition of said guideline is completely up to whatever the artist thinks it means.
Spoiler: show
1. Harpy: Confined
2. Centaur: Confined
3. Slime: Confined
4. Naga: Confined
5. Mermaid: Confined
6. Spider Girl: Semi-Confined
7. Plant Girl: Semi-Confined
8. Octomaid: Semi-Confined
9. Demon: Semi-Confined
10. Succubus: Semi-Confined
11. True Monster: Non-Confined
12. Zombie: Semi-Confined
13. Insect Girl: Semi-Confined
14. Dullahan: Confined
15. Dragon/Reptile Girl: Semi-Confined
16. Ghost: Semi-Confined
17. Robot: Semi-Confined
18. Alien: Semi-Confined
19. Cyclops: Confined
20. Satyr: Confined
21. Canine Girl: Semi-Confined
22. Feline Girl: Semi-Confined
23. Yōkai: Semi-Confined
24. Multiple Limbs: Non-Confined
25. Favorite Monster Girl Type: Non-Confined
26. Favorite Monster Girl Character: Semi-Confined
27. A Truly Gruesome Girl: Non-Confined
28. A Group of Monster Girls Together: Non-Confined
29. A Monster Girl and Her Significant Other: Non-Confined
30. Celebrate Monster Girls!: Non-Confined

Semi-Confined Total: 15 = 50%
Confined Total: 8 = [rounded up] 27%
Non-Confined Total: 7 = [rounded down] 23%
Since this topic might not be the right place for it, I'll start a new topic in the Custom Monster Profiles & Canon thread when I'm ready to start drawing monster girls for the original challenge, but I'll probably post anything relating to the second [and possibly third] 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge list I'm going to try and develop here, and anyone interested in this with the time might consider trying to take the challenge themselves, and maybe even try their hand at creating their own version of the 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge list!
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

Ishirō Honda, director of the original Godzilla film
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Here's a preliminary draft for my version of the 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge list; I emphasize preliminary because as it turns out it wasn't as easy to assemble a new set of monster girls that could provide an equal artistic challenge as I first thought [which pretty much screwed any hopes of making a third list, oh well! :ahaha: ]

1. Siren: Semi-Confined
2. Golem: Semi-Confined
3. Vampire: Confined
4. Giantess: Confined
5. Gorgon: Confined
6. Frankenstein's Bride: Semi-Confined
7. Amazon: Confined
8. Genie: Semi-Confined
9. Fairy: Semi-Confined
10. Mummy: Confined
11. Slasher: Semi-Confined
12. Goblin: Confined
13. Troll: Confined
14. Banshee: Semi-Confined
15. Sphinx: Confined
16. Mutant Girl: Non-Confined
17. Cryptid Girl: Semi-Confined
18. Swamp Creature Girl: Semi-Confined
19. Angel: Semi-Confined
20. Possessed Doll: Confined
21. Nightmare: Non-Confined
22. The Four Elements... Gnomid, Salamander, Undine, and Slyph: Semi-Confined
23. Favorite Rule 63 Monster: Semi-Confined
24. Pregnant Monster Girl: Non-Confined
25. Esoteric Girl: Semi-Confined
26. WereBeast... based off your favorite animal: Non-Confined
27. Scarecrow: Confined
28. Genetic Hybrid... Combine Three or More Creatures Together: Non-Confined
29. Kaiju Girl: Non-Confined
30. Echidna, Mother of All Monsters!: Non-Confined

EDIT: I finished my list! It's not a perfect emulation of the original, but I think it's pretty close. I think I'm going to sit on this for a couple days, take another look at it with fresh eyes, decide whether or not my choices really are worthwhile. Unless anyone here has some suggestions of their own that didn't make it here.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Well this may be a bit unexpected, more for me than everyone here who are probably used to my last minute changes in plans, but I decided to go ahead and develop a third 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge list!!!

I've looked at my first new list, and I felt that all the individual categories were worthwhile, and I thought I was done... until I watched the latest episode of the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which was a subtle tribute to the movie Christine [Stephen King's story of an evil possessed car; so far this season of TMNT has been one horror film tribute after another!], and served as the inspiration for the beginning of the third list I never thought I'd be able to make:

1. Possessed Car
2. Ghoul
3. Dökkálfr & Ljósálfr [Norse Dark and Light Elves]
4. Goddess
5. Titaness
6. Evolving Monster Girl [a monster girl going through at least three distinct life cycles, sort of group pic I guess]
7. Lamia [not to be confused with the Naga; some stories describe Lamia as looking like a scaly lioness with a woman's head and boobs!]
8. Gargoyle
9. Erinyes
10. Nymphs
11. Inbred Freak Girl [like the killer freaks from The Hills Have Eyes or Wrong Turn]
12. Fish(Wo)man [Creature From the Black Lagoon]
13. Nanomachine Girl
14. Cyborg
15. Wendigo [may be redundant, because of the ghoul; sometimes the Wendigo is a possessor spirit, other times it can be an emaciated giant!]
16. Shapeshifter
17. Homunculus
18. Selkie
19. Mandrake
20. Ogress
21. Empusa
22. Poltergeist
23. Valkyrie
24. Evil Clown
25. Haunted House [aka Living or Monster House]
26. Subhumanoid [not a mutant or inbred freak, but a humanoid that evolved underground, like from The Descent]
27. Parasite Girl
28. Artificial Intelligence [not so much a robot as an AI, like HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey]
29. ID Monster Girl [a monster girl born from the mind, like the monster from Forbidden Planet]
30. DO WHATEVER YOU F%^#ING WANT! [because after almost THREE MONTHS of drawing monster girls from lists, anyone would want to take the opportunity to just do whatever comes to their head!

EDIT: So I've completed this list too, I was shocked how easy it was to find inspiration online! Now the question is whether or not anything here is worth keeping, or should be replaced; I'm still undecided in regards to the Haunted House, would really appreciate some critique on that or anything else here.
EDIT 2: Made my decesion to keep it.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Well after going stagnant for a while, I've decided to renew this topic. Recently, while just browsing around online, I came across a second monster girl challenge list. It's unofficial, but was interesting, as quite a few ideas I came up with on there too, and that encouraged me to go ahead and make a new list of my own. Here are all three lists, with the names of the individuals who wrote the lists included [at least as they are on the lists in question]: Spoilers are for the sake of keeping this post small.

30 Day Monster Girl Challenge

List 01: By DarkChibiShadow a.k.a. dscart
01: Harpy
02: Centaur
03: Slime
04: Naga
05: Mermaid
06: Spider Girl
07: Plant Girl
08: Octomaid
09: Demon
10: Succubus
11: True Monster
12: Zombie
13: Insect Girl
14: Dullahan
15: Dragon/Reptile Girl
16: Ghost
17: Robot
18: Alien
19: Cyclops
20: Satyr
21: Canine Girl
22: Feline Girl
23: Yokai
24: Multiple Limbs
25: Favorite Monster Girl Types
26: Favorite Monster Girl Character
27: A Truly Gruesome Girl
28: A Group of Monster Girls Together
29: A Monster Girl and Her Significant Other
30: Celebrate Monster Girls!
List 2: By Le Caillou Vaudou and Coda Leia
01: Nymph
02: Werewolf
03: Yeti
04: Minotaur
05: Gorgon
06: Golem
07: Selkie
08: Witch
09: Ghoul
10: Reaper
11: Banshee
12: Maenad
13: Sphinx
14: Djinn
15: Will-O-Wisp
16: Gargoyle
17: Tengu
18: Troll
19: Ogre
20: Vampire
21: Bogeyman
22: Lamasu
23: Kami
24: Lorialet/Lunatic?
25: Chimera
26: Mummy
27: Phoenix
28: Goblin
29: Monster Girl Family
30: Celebrate Monster Girls 2!
List 3: By Geoffrey J Smith [That's Me! :D ]
Minor Edit: Replaced Shapeshifter, Aswang, and Pontiak with Mimic Girl, Kaiju Girl, and Siren.
01: Giantess
02: Goddess
03: Angel
04: Fallen Angel
05: Mimic Girl
06: Living Doll
07: Wendigo
08: Air Elemental
09: Earth Elemental
10: Fire Elemental
11: Water Elemental
12: Glaistig
13: Amazon
14: Slasher Girl
15: Erinyes
16: Kaiju Girl
17: Rusalka
18: Lamia
19: Siren
20: Monster Girl Twins
21: Non-Wolf Werebeast
22: Mandrake
23: Dziwozona
24: Valkyrie
25: Frankenstein's Bride
26: Your Personal Fear as a Monster Girl
27: Your Personal Desire as a Monster Girl
28: Favorite Movie Monster Turned Monster Girl
29: Favorite Video Game Monster Turned Monster Girl
30: Celebrate Monster Girls 3!
I've always planned to do the Monster Girl Challenge one day, and this now presents the even ambitious goal of doing all three. Also, I figure there's nothing stopping anyone from trying to create their own custom challenge by mixing in monster girls from all three lists. For now though, I plan on just using these lists as inspiration for monster girl designs and characters in the future, probably relating to Daughters of Pandora in one way or another.
Last edited by AdventDestiny on Fri May 20, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Bout time someone updated that ancient list! Are you really going to draw all that?
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Yes... though it may not be any time soon. I always like designing new characters, and these lists give me a lot of guidelines that make the whole process a lot easier!

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Nice to see you back in action, I'll be watching. ;)
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

I'll try and post some sketches and art here on a more regular basis [if I'm really lucky, I may be able to post some ZBrush designs, assuming I can put together a model that doesn't end up looking butt ugly!]. While you're at it, might want to keep an eye on Daughters of Pandora, I plan on trying to get back to that, with my current goal being to put together a prototype game environment in Unreal Engine 4 within the month.

But since this is a general thread, anyone else here should feel free to post their own 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge designs, I honestly don't think it matters whether or not you actually accomplish any of it within 30 days any more.

[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 1: Harpy

Post by [BRindustries] »

Fuck it, i'm doin' it. Dunno if i'll be able to pump one out everyday, but i sure am gonna try. I'll be sticking to the original list, because those other ones made me go "Wut?"
30D_MGC_1.jpg
Started off easy by drawing my OC Juditt. Since i've drawn her before, i figured this was an exellent opportunity to flesh out some more details here and there that i previously couldn't. (i finally gave her her tailfeathers, 'twas about time) While there's still some little flaws here and there, i'm pleased with the result.^^
I already have a concept for day 2 in my head, so be sure to look forward to that. :3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by [BRindustries] on Tue May 03, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Nice one, still so surprised you made up a harpy! :D I can't fawn over her though, since she's yours! :lol: May want to shrink that image down though, it's kind of YUUUUUUGE!
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 2: Centaur

Post by [BRindustries] »

Hehe, thanks man.^^ I don't mind you fawning over her though, she's pretty great. :3
Shrinked the image own too, looks like it fixed the placement issue.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyways, time for day 2, the day of the Centaur!
Most centaur gals are often portrayed as knights, nobles, or otherwise elegant or well-mannered individuals, most notable examples being Cerea and the centaur girl from Sei Monmusu Gakuen. While that's nice and all, making another one of those would be kinda boring, so for day 2 i drew a centaur as a Japanese highscool themed delinquent:
30D_MGC_2.jpg
(accidentally turned her hockey stick into a candy cane :p)
When i came up with this gal i couldn't help but imagine her picking on some little guy that really looks up to her, but kinda goes easy on him because she secretly finds him super adorable and just wants to make him hers. (i.e. hyper tsundere)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

I wonder how Judy would react to me? No worries though I would be polite. She looks classy so I'd definitely keep it classy. ;) I really liked the stance you chose for her, gives her a real sophisticated look.

--

Kicking ass and chewing bubble gum? hehehe . The fine detail on her clothes and tail are what caught my eye the most on this one.

Man you are chucking out arts pretty fast, must be nice to be able to draw so fast. I'm trying to learn again, but as always, perspective is killing me. For some reason too, I get very tired when I draw. Then I get frustrated! I can't decide on digital or analog. I have to erase/udon a lot because I never can get my lines right. :( I figure I can save money on erasers and paper so digital may be the better way to go..

Oh, and new avatar! Nice symmetry on it. :) What's it mean?
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

Post by [BRindustries] »

Thanks mate.^^ As she plays a rather important role in the company, she prefers to keep a somewhat cool and strict appearance around most other people, but she gets along with pretty much everyone. Being a top graduate from Harpy College, she's a bit of a fan of yours, though she won't admit it that easily. :3
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I put most of the detail on her hairstyle and jacket, since there wasn't much to do with the skirt, and i'm not very good at drawing horese bodies. (the skirt serves as a workaround for that :P) All in all i've spent around 3 to 3,5 hours on this one.

I personally find it easier to improve on existing lines than to draw them from scratch, so for these drawings i start out with a simple stick figure, and then i draw a very light shilouette around that. I complete it for the most part before i make any changes to it, so i can get a better view. If a certain spot doesn't look right, i draw a better line over it, slightly harder, and then remove the old one. (my perfectionistic urges make this a bit tedious sometimes)

After that it's drawing in light sketch lines for the details, like sleeves, buttons, acessories and such, and repeating the same proces of fixing the lines up. After that i start looking into different shades and such, to bring a bit of colour into it. For things like hair i try to match the pencil strokes with the flow of the hair, while skin and fabric are done in a more crosshatch manner, to get a more even look.

I drew this with a 0,5 mm mechanical pencil. (that's over 20 years old lol) I prefer mechanical ones since they don't get shorter as you use them, so you can use them equally well all the time, and the tip stays relatively sharp regardless of how long you draw with it. (since it's so tiny to begin with) This makes it easier to make light but sharp lines, which is good for sketching.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hehe, i've been using this avatar on the Robocraft forums for a while now. It originally comes from a type of avatars called "Jammatars", a kind of avatar originally used by the game's dev team. Examples:
ImageImageImage

These became so popular overtime that for a while, everyone and their mum used them. The clan i'm part of, ArtBots United has created it's own version with orange/blue instead of green, in a rather minimalistic style. The one you see here is mine, with my trademark sideburns and glasses. :P
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 3: Slime

Post by [BRindustries] »

*boop*

Maybe this was somewhat predictable, but nevertheless, i present to you the girl for day 3: good ol' Marina. :3
30D_MGC_3.jpg
Not super pleased with how some of the proportions came out, but it's not a big problem. :P
Now i'm a bit stuck on what i should draw for day 4, i'm not very experienced with naga's/lamia's. :/
Anyways, i hope y'all like it.^^
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 4: Naga/Lamia

Post by [BRindustries] »

So yeah, i had no idea what to draw for day 4, but then i remembered something a wise man once said...
"When bored, draw Flare to pass the time..."
So i did.^^I took some artistic liberties with the outfit, but i think it came out nicely. The foreshortening on the arm and spear was a bit tricky though. :/
30D_MGC_4.jpg
I didn't add any fire effects, since i have no idea how to make that look good in a pencil drawing. :/
Also, a completely random question: Would you consider a Clockwork automaton a Robot?
Last edited by [BRindustries] on Fri May 06, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

Oh my, I look like I came from a FF game there. :P

And I would consider it a subtype of robot. :)
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!