30 day monstergirl challenge

General artwork and fan artwork may be shared and/or discussed in here.
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Tokusatsu Mastermind!
Favorite Monster Type: Kaiju

Re: 30 day monstergirl challenge

Post by AdventDestiny »

For a long while I've made overly ambitious announcements about planned artistic projects and other endeavors [made most apparent by my many dormant Daughters of Pandora topics], but finally I decided to go ahead and do something I've been hesitating for a long while. I have officially begun the 30 Day Monster Girl Challenge... technically I began it five days ago, so here are the results of those five days!

I plan to start posting these on a daily basis, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the process and inspiration for all of the monster girls I create.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

Ishirō Honda, director of the original Godzilla film
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

Post by [BRindustries] »

Oh crap........ i totally forgot...... ISTILL HAVE TO DRAW DAY 29 AND 30!!!! D8 IT'S ALMOST BEEN A MONTH SINCE THE LAST ONE!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!!!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Not a bad harpy there Advent! The pencil though, the PENCIL! X_X Such potential though.

Awww, better luck next time. :(
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Very tricky trying to settle on the legs, with the largest pair being almost twice the size of what you're seeing now when I started. I went through quite a few different ideas for the structure of her body before settling with a mostly humanoid body with an extra set of limbs. Her body patterns are modeled after the Japanese Joro Spider, and though not really noticeable here, her face is meant to evoke the image of a geisha's facepaint.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

For the first time I had a real challenge coming up with this gal! I had an idea of a plant girl that was like a colony of interconnected bodies sharing a single mind, but there was no way for me to illustrate this with one picture. So I changed it to a venus fly trap themed plant girl, then I had the challenge of trying to get her posture right, then I tried to have her arms crossed strategically over her chest, but had to settle for just one arm. The patterns on her body I placed to indicate something inhuman about her besides her leafy hair and elf ears.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Probably my favorite design I've done for this challenge so far! I didn't want to stick with the whole "mermaid with octopus tentacles instead of a fish tale", so I instead went for a Lovecraftian deep sea creature. She has a mouth in her stomach, gills on her chest, and a pair of I have no idea what on the sides of her cheeks. This is also the first time in the challenge were I had to abandon my first drawing and start over, because I felt she was too stiff in the original.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Well this was unexpected. During art class today I went ahead and did the next monster girl on the list, despite having already done a monster girl earlier today. The theme of this evolved as I drew her, beginning with simply a demonic girl, then a human girl possessed and half-way through a demonic transformation, to a possessed nun [bonus detail, this is the first monster girl I've done for the challenge that's wearing clothes]!

Now I could just take a break tomorrow, but what's the fun in that? I plan on doing a bonus monster girl tomorrow, one not on the list, making this a 31 Day Monster Girl Challenge. Any time I do more than one monster girl a day, I'll add another monster girl to the list to do the subsequent day.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Yesterday I did two monster girls in one day, so I decided to add a bonus day to the challenge, and today I did a monster girl I've always been planning to do in the challenge. A Kaiju Girl! The head crest was loosely inspired by the Kaiju from Pacific Rim, but her size is based off the size of the kaiju during the Showa era of Godzilla and Ultraman, back when they didn't need to be as big to tower over buildings.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

One Hell of an endeavor, mainly because I'm sick, and just praying I'll have enough energy to do the next few days on schedule. The idea here was to go the opposite route of the previous Demon entry, making her as appealing as possible, while keeping true to the demonic nature of the succubus. Another guiding principle was to model the black markings to make it appear that she is clothed in some way, even if she really isn't.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

So yeah, turns out I was a sick as a dog yesterday, just couldn't concentrate enough to finish the drawing in one day, so I finished it today, then did this day's as well [thankfully the second monster girl was actually very easy to do].

I've long pondered what the meaning of True Monster meant in the challenge, and ultimately interpreted it as meaning a legitimate monster, something you'd see in a mainstream monster movie, whiling still being recognizably female. I believe that this was supposed to be based on the Wendigo, but she's since evolved into more of a mutant that has become monstrous through years of neglect and inhuman experimentation... I like my monsters, regardless of how bad they are, to have an element of sympathy in their backstory.

I was sick as S%^$ yesterday, so though technically I did 75% of the previous entry yesterday, I only completed it today. This character was very easy to put together, and in fact she may be my best human[ish] character I've ever drawn! With how easy it was to create her, I instead focused on using her appearance to tell a story about her tragic origins. One look tells you everything you need to know about what happened... at least I hope it does.

Even though technically I did two in one day, yesterday I consider a sick day, so I don't think I'll be doing a bonus monster girl, and I may actually reserve any bonus days to be done near the end of the challenge.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

A bit last minute, but still managed to pull it off! I struggled between making her more insectoid or staying true to the source material of fairies and pixies. I decided that she's a little more relatable without too many bug like attributes.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Another rushed design that turned out really good, though in this case I've had the idea for this in my head for quite a while! Of all my monster girls, this one strays the farthest from her source material, as I imagined her as a life sized doll possessed by a strange being from another dimension.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Probably the most detailed monster girl I've created so far [though the fact that you can see the previous drawing through her sort of irks me]. Before I started the challenge, I did a test run with the dragon girl first, which wasn't too different from this version, other than her arms being actual wings with more prominent tail spikes. From now on I think I'll avoid doing two drawings on the same piece of paper.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

An experiment in trying to create a easily identifiable ghost [without having an object in the background that could be seen through her]. I was trying to strike a balance in design between the wild and often cartooning nature of Ghostbusters with the more realistic and horrifying designs of Thir13teen Ghosts... not sure that came across, although this is probably my most macabre work yet.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Another subtle design, which mostly has to do with the backstory in my head when designing her; she's an android [technically a gynoid, actually] who thinks she's human, complete with memories from a now deceased woman she was modeled after. In complete denial, her delicate mental state combined with a virus in her operating system leaves her prone to sudden psychotic episodes. Since she's supposed to believe she's human, her body had to be fairly understated when it comes to mechanical parts.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

For awhile I was going to do an alien monster girl themed off of the Xenomorph from the ALIEN films, but instead I thought it would be better to go with something more Star Wars/Star Trek inspired. She has the appearance of an elegant exotic dancer, but is in fact a extremely fierce and efficient assassin. This is probably the most extreme pose of any I've done so far.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Of all the monster girls on the list, this was the one I forward to doing the least. I honestly had no idea how to make a girl with a single cyclopean eye look attractive, while still maintaining the "stylized reality" that I tried to imbue into all of my creations. I combined the cyclops with qualities I had planned for a giantess character [a sketch of which still resides in my Daughters of Pandora gallery], which basically combined attributes of a rhino with the pebbly armor found on the back of a species of sauropod dinosaur called Saltasaurus.

I wanted the chance to do another bonus monster girl this challenge, so I decided to do the Satyr on the same day as the Cyclops. I had a real strong idea of where I wanted to go with this design. This is my interpretation of the Deer Woman, a Native American spirit that essentially was the classic "sex = death" story to men that don't settle down with a nice girl. Having her wear a deer skull as a mask was inspired by a piece of concept art for a video game I saw, and the upper back vertebrae from a deer as a crude cudgel was just a natural extension of the deer skull motif.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Well this was quite an endeavor, not because it was hard to do, but ultimately it took me so long to just settle down and finish this; seriously I was working on and off of this thing for well over six hours! I was inspired specifically by the fact I wanted to do a proper fish girl [my mermaid ended up being built off of dolphins and whales], so I decided to do a Siren. I've also been binge watching episodes of Face Off for a while, and that made me realize this whole challenge I never put much effort into making the monster girls faces feel more than human. I've blended the human form with animals, but not the face, at least not often. This was a big experiment, which I hope ultimately turns out well.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Another experiment in making a monster girl character with a slightly inhuman face, though not as much as a traditional anthro character. The theme was a wolf girl [specifically based on a maned wolf], but instead of making a werewolf, I went for a human/wolf genetic hybrid inspired by The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Wanted to do some more bonus monster girls, so I went ahead and did the Feline Girl the same time as the Canine Girl. She's a Sphinx, combining attributes of the Greek Sphinx with the Egyptian Sphinx, all built around the theme of a animated statue.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

I find that the name Nightmare is very fitting for this bonus monster girl, as it was a real pain in the ass putting her together. The first pose didn't work, and it took me twice as long as I should have, but at least once done I came up with quite a spectacular character. She's something of a hybrid between a vampire and a night stalking spirit called the mare, from which the term nightmare was first coined. That hood and cloak are actually a part of her physiology, capable of being retracted completely into her body when not of use.

Ever since I got sick a couple weeks ago, it's been bugging me that I didn't do a bonus monster girl for the day I missed, so I decided to do a second monster girl on the bonus day today. Honestly, I'm not as happy with this as with the others, not because of the design, but because of how static her pose is, when compared to the other monster girls I've done. I've had an old design for a Frankenstein girl lying around for years now, and this was my opportunity to update her. I figured that if someone was trying to put together a bunch of body parts from different corpses, not all those parts would work... so some of her parts had to be mechanical, and are powered by a built in electrical generator where her heart used to be.