30 day monstergirl challenge

General artwork and fan artwork may be shared and/or discussed in here.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Re: 30 day monstergirl challenge

Post by Blake81 »

Hm, she looks familiar, yet I can't quite put my finger on from where....
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Your detail is good on everything, but the eyes always seem to be lacking. Some eyelid shadow (you know, how it's slightly darker on just below the lashes) on the top of the eyes and some eye shadow could probably do you wonders. You seem to have a tendency to avoid eye detail (which, in my opinion, is a very important part of the manga style). This is surprising since your favorite monster girl has one gigantic eye.
Raet
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Reality Melder
Favorite Monster Type: Erumo, Bovi, Slime, Lamia

Post by Raet »

She reminds me of Ashlotte from Soul Calibre 4! Problems I noticed:

1: Her eyes need more spacing and eyelashes. (I typically put just under an eye's space between the eyes, it looks more feminine)
2: Eyelids and eyebrows
3: Draw her body softly in pencil and work on it until the shape is correct, then draw the dress over it.
4: Try to give her legs a bit more shape (the ankles and knees should typically be more slender.)
5: If you want to make her eyes pop, give her a dark tone at the top of the iris and give them highlights.
ImageImage
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

Post by [BRindustries] »

Blake81 wrote:Hm, she looks familiar, yet I can't quite put my finger on from where....
Raet wrote:She reminds me of Ashlotte from Soul Calibre 4!
You know, now that you mention it, her general shilouette and hairstyle are kinda reminiscent of Saber. :J
Feathers wrote:Your detail is good on everything, but the eyes always seem to be lacking. Some eyelid shadow (you know, how it's slightly darker on just below the lashes) on the top of the eyes and some eye shadow could probably do you wonders. You seem to have a tendency to avoid eye detail (which, in my opinion, is a very important part of the manga style). This is surprising since your favorite monster girl has one gigantic eye.
Yeah, i know. Eyes are one of the things i still struggle with. (i often have to redo them 3 or 4 times to get them right) Though i am much more comfortable with drawing monoeyes than two eyes. :P Probably because two eyes are smaller than one, making it harder to detail properly. :/
Raet wrote:Problems I noticed:
1: Her eyes need more spacing and eyelashes. (I typically put just under an eye's space between the eyes, it looks more feminine)
Agreed, though like i said above, eyes are still a big point of improvement for me. The spacing tip is helpful though.^^ The eyes will become a bit smaller like that though, making it harder for me to do them right, will have to practice that some more.
Hmm, i get the eyebrows part, but i'm not entirely sure what you mean by eyelids. You mean give the lines around the eye more curves to make them look more lifelike?
3: Draw her body softly in pencil and work on it until the shape is correct, then draw the dress over it.
Actually, that's exactly what i did for this gal, as well as the others. I always start with the face, draw a stick figure from there, do the body contours, and then the clothing/hair/details etc. Though i'll agree that the angle and odd knee joint make it look a bit wonky.
4: Try to give her legs a bit more shape (the ankles and knees should typically be more slender.)
Hmm, i'll try. I didn't want to make them too slender, not a big fan of that look. (i prefer my girls sturdy :3)
5: If you want to make her eyes pop, give her a dark tone at the top of the iris and give them highlights.
Hmm, noted.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

But anyways, thime for another post.^^
For day 18, the day of the Alien, i drew Aizawa nagisa, the unexpected visitor from Jistu wa Watashi wa.^^ I'll admit it was a bit of a rushjob, but despite that i think it came out alright.^^ (not pleased with how the rifle came out though) The eyes are slightly more detailed than the others, but not that much.
Spoiler: show
30D_MGC_18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raet
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Raet »

[BRindustries] wrote:
Raet wrote:Problems I noticed:
Agreed, though like i said above, eyes are still a big point of improvement for me. The spacing tip is helpful though.^^ The eyes will become a bit smaller like that though, making it harder for me to do them right, will have to practice that some more.
Hmm, i get the eyebrows part, but i'm not entirely sure what you mean by eyelids. You mean give the lines around the eye more curves to make them look more lifelike?
Actually, that's exactly what i did for this gal, as well as the others. I always start with the face, draw a stick figure from there, do the body contours, and then the clothing/hair/details etc. Though i'll agree that the angle and odd knee joint make it look a bit wonky.
Hmm, i'll try. I didn't want to make them too slender, not a big fan of that look. (i prefer my girls sturdy :3)
Here is an example, I drew of your clockwork girl:
clockwrk.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

Post by [BRindustries] »

Ah okay, i see what you mean now, those indeed look a lot better. Thanks.^^
Since today's entry just happens to be the cyclops, i'll try and use some of these tips on her. (bigger eye is easier to practice :P)
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Yea pretty much what I was talking about.
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 19: Cyclops <3

Post by [BRindustries] »

Alright folks, how's this?
30D_MGC_19.jpg
Of course i had to draw Deborah, why wouldn't i? :P
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Eye see you made some improvements on the eye!
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

I do wonder, what's easier to draw? One big monoeye or a pair of normal eyes?

And also...
Feathers wrote:Eye see you made some improvements on the eye!
[youtube]cG1jPSs5deU[/youtube]
Raet
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Raet »

I would say normal eyes, nice improvement by the way!

Some recommendations:
30D_MGC_19.jpg
30D_MGC_19.jpg
ImageImage
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Blake81 wrote:I do wonder, what's easier to draw? One big monoeye or a pair of normal eyes?

And also...
[youtube]cG1jPSs5deU[/youtube]
You are making me want to play that game, if only the battles weren't so tedious...!
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

Post by [BRindustries] »

Huehuehue.
Blake81 wrote:I do wonder, what's easier to draw? One big monoeye or a pair of normal eyes?
For me it's definately one single eye.^^ (wonder why that is :P)
Raet wrote:I would say normal eyes, nice improvement by the way!

Some recommendations:
30D_MGC_19.jpg
30D_MGC_19.jpg
Thanks.^^
I'd agree with most of them, except maybe for the head, hair and eyebrow parts.
While those work great for your style , they don't really suit mine, i like to steer a bit more towards the realistic kind. As such i don't want to give my characters too much hair, and prefer to let it sit closer to the scalp.

*rant mode triggered*
Also, the fact that a lot of people think that monoeye gals cannot have two eyebrows is one of the very few things that genuinely irritate me. I mean, i get the reasoning behind it and i do like the look of only one eyebrow, but in almost every comment section of any booru with a manako pic there's at least 1/3rds going "wtf two eyebrows?", "y two eyebrows m8?", "were two eyebrows really necessarry?", she should have one eyebrow...just saying...", 'un-shave that unibrow right now, missy!" and a lot more like that. Stuff like that genuinely triggers me. :evil: (not hating on you Raet, you're cool^^-b)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, i forgot to post these yesterday, but i did take some pics during the proces, to show how i make these.
WIP1 30D_MGC_19.jpg
WIP2 30D_MGC_19.jpg
WIP3 30D_MGC_19.jpg
Tbh, i really liked the look in the 2nd pic, i just made a few mistakes in the lining here and there. :(
Raet
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Raet »

Well, they can be applied to realistic art, the fact is you should always draw the bald outline of your head before you add the hair. It is an anatomical issue. Even if it is close to the scalp, it should at least be a centimetre or two higher(or a few millimetres higher), but the main point is her hairstyle is the type which stands out from the scalp.
The eyebrow is because she only has one eye, we have two which is why we have two eyebrows. Also a woman's eyebrow is higher above the eye than a man's, this is an anatomical fact.
ImageImage
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

Post by [BRindustries] »

Raet wrote:Well, they can be applied to realistic art, the fact is you should always draw the bald outline of your head before you add the hair. It is an anatomical issue. Even if it is close to the scalp, it should at least be a centimetre or two higher(or a few millimetres higher), but the main point is her hairstyle is the type which stands out from the scalp.
Yeah, that's what i did for her, as well as the others. It shows in those WIP shots i put up there.
From the examples you provided the third is the closest to what i intended it to be, sleek with some rounded lower edges.
When get to the digital version of this pic i'll touch up the lines to make it more refined.^^
Raet wrote:Also a woman's eyebrow is higher above the eye than a man's, this is an anatomical fact.
Hmm, didn't know about that one, interesting. :3
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyhow, it's time for the Satyr post.^^ Satyrs are often shown with a pan flute of some sort, which is nice aand all, but it's a little old-fashioned, don't ya think? So, i went and modernized it a little, with her overall theme being inspired by one of the most magnificent bastards the internet has ever known.^^
30D_MGC_20.jpg
Epic sax goat. 8-)
I was listening to epic sax guy for the entirety of the "colouring" proces, i swear i'll be hearing that sh!t in my dreams now. :?
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 21 + 22: Canine & Feline Girl

Post by [BRindustries] »

Alright, i finally finished the Canine and Feline girls for day 21 and 22 of the challenge, watch them frollick around as they get ready for some poolside playtime. :3
30D_MGC_21.jpg
30D_MGC_22.jpg
30D_MGC_21&22.jpg
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

Post by [BRindustries] »

*chew*
Day 23: time for a Yõkai.^^ I think y'all can guess where i got the idea from. :P
30D_MGC_23.jpg
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

Ahh, the classic Blanket Girl. :P
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Haha that one must of been the easiest to draw yet, right? I wonder how she feels about being tossed into a washing machine. Does she self clean? I can see her getting very dirty..
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess

BR's 30 day MG challenge - Day 24: Multiple limbs

Post by [BRindustries] »

Flare wrote:Ahh, the classic Blanket Girl. :P
Gotta love the classics.^^ I'm quite surprised there haven't been more gals like her. :whatever:
Feathers wrote:Haha that one must of been the easiest to draw yet, right? I wonder how she feels about being tossed into a washing machine. Does she self clean? I can see her getting very dirty..
Funny enough she was actually quite challenging. I had a hard time getting a good pose for her, and i had to pick the points where the contours of her body merge into the blanket.^^ It took a few attempts, but it worked out in the end.

Whilst drawing her i was thinking about how such a blanketgal would work, maybe she would feed off of evaporated sweat? (and therefore not get that dirty from said sweat) What would she actually feel like to the touch? What does she do when you're not sleeping/snuggling/nuzzled up? Would she get embarassed if you were to remove the blanket cover for washing? Would she prefer to go in as well? If she has the need to breathe to an extent, she'd only be hand washable. (i.e. bath time with blanketfriend) Lots of that stuff.
Personally i think it'd feel as heavy as a normal blanket, but when you touch it it'd feel like theres an actual body just under the top layer, that moves around underneath it. (it would be super comfy regardless, think she likes spooning?)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For day 24 i wanted to do something different. (again :p) I've noticed that, while i have drawn a lot of cool, cute, classy and smexy stuff already, i haven't done any real toned gals. Since i started this challenge partially to test/improve my skills, i tried to give her a bit more "oomph', and made her a more toned and fit girl.
30D_MGC_24.jpg