[Nintendo] Pokémon Franchise

The place to go for all pokemon game info.

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Pokémon Ultra Sigh and Ultra Meh!

Post by Kaijin »

I don't know (rather I don't care) if someone's actually looking forward to or in the hype bandwagon for these remakes? reimaginations? retellings? expansions? but if there's someone who is... well then, have at you.

[youtube]8rQLqeX_LcQ[/youtube]
Wow... I'm so thrilled...¬¬

So what do we have so far?

-A code (and limited at that) exclusive and unattainable otherwise evolution.
-A carbon copy of Kyruem's powered up forms (as it worked so well the first time...)
-A rejected design for a Megaman's robot master.
-And.. last but sadly not least... a... walking game of Jenga...

The only thing worth saving is Lycanroc's new and exclusive Z-Move... but it wasn't that vital to give it one (as it was good enough without it...).

.P.S.: Maybe it's just me but I refuse to consider this a fair trade-off for not getting the 4th Gen remakes...
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Incubus
Favorite Monster Type: None

Re: [3DS] Pokemon

Post by Perentie »

Really? It was my impression that the Lycanrocs are regarded by many as underwhelming, at least in competitive battles, owing to their limited movepools, frailty, and abilities they have difficulty taking advantage of (i.e. No Guard is a great ability for Midnight Lycanroc except Stone Edge is the only move that really benefits from it and its slower than Midday, and Stoutland is a better Sand Rush user in most respects than Midday). Being able to cancel out terrain effects could give them some sort of niche.

But either way, I'm more looking forward to Kommo-o's Z-Move. And hopefully some useful move tutors.
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Post by DogKama »

I'm more than likely skipping these games(for now anyway) since they don't look all that different than sun and moon. Currently I'm more interested in that pokeball 2ds, but up in the air of if I should spend the money on it; the only reason I would is if it's some very limited edition and Ill never find it again.

Besides that the gold and silver eshop lunches are the only pokemon game I'm interested in but a month prior i managed to pick up Soul Silver for a fair along with White and Silver had a Celibi on it. If any of you pick up Ultra Sun/Moon let us know if the changes are worth the money, because as it stands it looks more like a remix with added dlc than a new experience.

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Yeah, I'm switchin over to Yokai Watch 2.5 (Psychic) until Pokémon actually does something new, like make a SWITCH game. Pokémon isn't even about trading anymore I have no fun with it anymore. Everyone just cheats with Pokémon generators anyway or uses Poke global network to cheese the dex which keeps getting bigger anyway. Nintendo said they'd try to cater more to Pokémon vets in the future, I'm still waiting. And Pokken = nope Idwhy they even make legendaries anyway, they are op and always banned..I can complain a lot about Pokémon lol
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

I can't help but thinking... Are you trying to pick a fight with me by any chance? Not that it matters though...^^U

Even if Lycanroc's is as an utterly shitty choice as you make it look (which then again is NOT NEARLY AS UNVIABLE AS YOU'RE CLAIMING), the solution to that problem is not a one time per battle move, or at the very least... it shouldn't. A simple stat rebalance/redistribution, a secondary or hidden ability (Beartic became way more viable after getting Slush Rush), or even access to some moves that for odd reason had been unattainable for the critter (like Flygon gaining access to Dragon Dance) would have been better solutions in the long run...

...But screw it... Let's bring out the Poké BFG 9000.

.P.S.:
Pokémon isn't even about trading anymore I have no fun with it anymore.
You're looking in the wrong direction I'm afraid...
That was known as Pokémon Uranium, but sadly it was unofficial and cancelled by the "big red N"... Yet still superior in almost every aspect (only losing when it comes to graphics and music) to the 7th Gen.

(If all the effort they put into pointless censorship jobs and inquisionital-esque fangame hunts was meant to be put in their actual games, Nintendo would have no actual opposition in the gaming world).
Last edited by Kaijin on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

Kaijin wrote:I can't help but thinking... Are you trying to pick a fight with me by any chance?
Nope, just giving input.
Yeah, specially the part when it dies BECAUSE OF the sandstorm that it's meant to speed it up is downright vital.
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your point, but Sand Rush makes the pokemon immune to damage from Sandstorm regardless of its typing. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki ... _(Ability)
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

Nope
So... You're just a natural in that regard then... Wow.

As for the last part... Yes, I regret admitting that you're (sadly) right on that one, but that's just my right desserts for trying to do three things at the same time (booking for both a fight and accomodation and trying to fend you off (because your timing is always "impeccable")... despite knowing that it's pretty much ineffective and counterproductive), so feel free to enjoy your victory... You definitely earned it. ¬¬
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

Kaijin wrote:So... You're just a natural in that regard then... Wow.
You just happen to be a user who posts a lot on subjects that interest me/things I like, so I end up commenting on your comments. No need to read anything more into it than interest.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

No need to read anything more into it than interest.
I would if I could.

Anyway... The only thing I consider worth mentioning after all the "thrilling" and "exciting" news, teasers and the like we had so far is... Moon/Mizuki's new look. The look they gave to the poor lass in Sun/Moon was... simply ridiculous, the poor thing looked more like Billy Hatcher than a Pokémon protagonist (I spent my first steps of my Sun adventure by pushing "A" like a maniac until I got to the first boutique where I could remove that abomination from her head forever) at the very least she looks... decent now.

But who knows... Maybe they'll add something interesting, like getting rid of that silly, boring and disappointingly easy "challenge" system and return to the good ol' league system (that with the exception of Gen VI it posed more of a challenge than this strike of genius), or things like new Pokémon (or evolutions for already existing Pokémon that need said boost), or Alola forms for Pokémon from Gen II and onward (like a Grass/Fire Sunflora, an Electric/Dark Luxray or a Bug/Dragon Flygon).

.P.S.: By the way... We got yet another pathetic attempt to canonise the anime (and more specifically everyone's "favourite" loser Ash/Satoshi) into the games' canon.
They should take notes and learn from Bandai and their Digimon franchise: everything released by us is canon... but our canon is a multiverse.

More info here (as if wasn't enough with the league losing Greninja...).
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Ha, our opinions on Pokémon are very much aligned, Kaijin. :) I don't have much more for Pokémon anymore, but they will probably keep carrying on easily enough with their monster enslaving/capturing trainers appealing nature, especially the cute collectable merchandise.
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

It may end up just being a mini game that I'll grow tired of eventually, but I have to admit surfing between the islands on a mantine looks gorgeous.

[youtube]47-xOiNGzgw[/youtube]
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

No new mon (returning mon yes, but not anything we didn't know before), no more new evos, no more Alolan forms confirmed... Although the most useless and pointless character in the whole franchise (Mina the dauber) will be doing something "useful" (I guess the competent yet untrained dragons went on strike or something).

On a more important sidenote...

[youtube]g8IVI0sZ6F8[/youtube]
What he said

Gen II has been officially released (worldwide... and Europe got it first... FOR ONCE) in the Virtual Console (Gold and Silver only, no Crystal strangely enough), the generation that had the only postgame that wasn't rushed and actually felt worth playing, I've been waiting this moment for ages (a good and challenging pokémon game to offer to my 3DS).

Although I'm torn between picking Gold and Silver... Gold has better exclusive mon (Growlithe and Phanpy lines included), but Silver has Skarmory who was Gen II's best flying type (and the best non-trading Steel type too)...
...not to mention that Lugia's event is a major pain in the a*** compared to Ho-oh's...

I have to mull it over well before buying since the choice will clearly affect my team.

Soon my dear fluffball, you'll be settin' Johto ablaze once again...<3
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Protector of Lolis

Post by Jinouga87 »

I'm hyped for the new Ultra Beasts and the new Surfing mini-game. The funny thing about Ash Hat Pikachu and Battle Bond Greninja is there's no way they can confirm the anime as Ash let Greninja go so he couldn't trade it and why would he trade his partner with his one of a kind hat? It makes no sense.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

[youtube]bucxOT8zudk[/youtube]

...Well, at least they're trying to add in some new stuff... also, that one guy's mustache.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
DecafPirate
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Professional Slacker
Favorite Monster Type: Kitsune, Lamia, Cheshire Cat

Post by DecafPirate »

I think I was initially planning in skipping Ultra Sun & Moon, but I feel like I might pick it up just to see what they've added. I can't help wishing they had just delayed the initial games to include all these big new features and stuff. But I guess it's Pokemon, so they're gonna sell like crazy no matter what they do.
And the Ultra Beasts, like them or hate them, I at least commend Game Freak for introducing the concept of them. It allows them to design weird and crazy Pokemon that wouldn't otherwise "fit in" with the Pokemon world.
"Haven't you ever seen a skeleton before? I'm always smiling on the inside."
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

Kingdom Hearts's space travel system (although could and should be regarded as Sonic half-pipe special stages' knockoff too), not-so-Tron's world, Parasitic Cage (even if that one was introduced in the previous games)...

...Hey, I finally found a reason to start considering to buy this "revolutionary masterpiece": it's the only Kingdom Hearts released on 3DS that doesn't suck.

Because the more I see about this "reimagination" the less Pokémon-ish it feels (and no, a purple coloured Marshadow doesn't do the trick).
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jinouga87 »

New stuff dropped. Necrozma new forms have thier own Z-Moves that Solgaleo and Lunala can also use as well as a new move called Photon Geyser. The RotomDex is also going to have more stuff this time. As for the new Ultra Space stuff I'm hyped for it. I want to see where Buzzwole lives.
DecafPirate
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Professional Slacker
Favorite Monster Type: Kitsune, Lamia, Cheshire Cat

Post by DecafPirate »

Buzzwole is one of my favorite Ultra Beast because of the sheer ridiculousness of it. It's a giant buff bug that literally has 'swole' in its name, I love it. XD
"Haven't you ever seen a skeleton before? I'm always smiling on the inside."
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jinouga87 »

More minor news. Mimikyu will be getting a Z-Move.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

Well... if it's a Ghost type Z-move could be a welcome addition to its repertoire as its most damaging Ghost type move is Shadow Claw, but then again this could have been easily solved by granting Mimikyu access to a stronger Ghost STAB move like for instance Phantom Force...

I know and I fully understand that Pokémon Sun and Moon were incomplete games (and poorly designed at that) and the expansion is pretty much "needed" (although it shouldn't be needed at all if they just decided to take their time at developing instead of releasing it when they did... or if the effort put into cancelling Pokémon Uranium and trampling the dreams and 9 years of hard fan work was directed into improving the original Sun and Moon), but the more I see of this game the more I'm convinced that all this should be included as a 15€ (18$) DLC patch tops rather than a 40€ (47$) brand new game.

Oh well... There's still time to see if something worth's being regarded as a full fledged game is added, there's still some time (and for once I'm not blinded by hype).