Your favorite RPG Battle System!

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Your favorite RPG Battle System!

Post by Feathers »

There is many, like the old school turn based (Final Fantasy), the tactical (Fire Emblem), the real time (Star Ocean) etc. and many more!

Do you have a personal favorite?

Mine would be the Star Ocean battle system, real time and lots of flashy fun moves to spam. :mrgreen:
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

Re: Your favorite RPG Battle System!

Post by Pokemonaces »

Mine would be the simple, yet unique Fire emblem system. Easy to get into, but can be expansive
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

Tactical turn-based: Front Mission 4 (Until they went "Evolved" which looked like an AC knockoff..)
As for FF games, only 3,4,5,7,10 and X-2.
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

Hmmmm.....

I like some turn based (FF, FF2) and Quasi-turn based (FF4,6, FFT, Grandia) the best
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Real time hack and slash with slow down menu for choosing magic or item
Kmon13
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lv. 124 Dark Knight and Bard
Favorite Monster Type: Amazoness, Alp, Kunoichi,
Location: Royce, Capital of the Black Rose Republic (What once started an small inn grew into a nation)

Post by Kmon13 »

I'm actually playing Alpha Protocol right now and since it's made by the Obsidian Studios (Knights of the Old Republic) I've enjoyed it unique battle system and Choice of how to interact with the characters.... :nerd:

Especially with the women... like SIE :nosebleed:

In other words kind conversion with a person could prevent your character from being shot in the back or get your laid more than once.

The right to live free without fear of death should be granted and enjoyed by all beings Mamono, human, or Otherwise.

Least liked Mamono:Mamono who rape!

Tales of the Black Rose Inn...
Destined Paths Of Eden
Lilith Academy Chronicles
Monster Girl Apocalypse Journals
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

Real time skill based.
With cancels and all of that other jazz that takes months to master.

Second favorite is real time turn based, where you don't have an eternity to make a decision.
Spoiler: show
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
BaroqueSieben
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Crash Pilotsky, Plane Lander
Favorite Monster Type: Sahuagin

Post by BaroqueSieben »

Etrian Odyssey holds the style that holds my heart.

You've got room to take up to five dudes out to fight, leaving one space for any guests (either via your own skills, like in EOIII, or actual guest adventurers like in EOIII's sea quests and certain story segments and quests in EOIV) if you bring the maximum party size, your party's split into two rows (of up to 3 dudes) of strategic significance (back row takes less damage but has to use magic or ranged weapons if they want to not take a damage penalty, but certain skills are based on the line they're in [e.g., EOIV's Dancers' dances, Front Mortar in EOIII, etc.]).

And after you input each character's tasks for that turn, the turn plays out with your guys' actions interspersed with the enemies' based on speed (so faster enemies might fire attacks off before slower party members get to act, but some party members can outspeed other enemies), meaning you have to factor that into your decisions . . . and, last but not least, in EOIV the enemy monsters can now end up having the same sort of line dynamics that your party of dudes has -- for even more tactical decisions.

There's a lot to love. Even amidst some of the piss-all annoying postgame mooks like the Muskoids I'm fighting (they love Petrify status way too damn much).

(Interestingly enough, by the by, EOIV's actually got some playable characters in unlockable classes that fit the criteria of 'monster girl' -- both of the 'Our Elves Are Different' and 'Petting Zoo People' varieties! Recommend getting it for your 3DS even if that news doesn't immediately pique your interest, though, as the battle system's just one of the many virtues it has.)
Any landing you can walk away from . . .
Avatar art was found on Pixiv and is by cahf. Link to original.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

I've heard a lot of good things about Etrian Odyssey 4. I have 3 and it did look like a great game on the surface, but once I found out there is no characters (all blank slates) I sort of lost interest and stopped playing it. No doubt it's an amazing game with it's map maker and exciting air ship gimmick, but I'm upset about the lack of character dev. :( The thing I like most about RPGs is watching the characters grow and converse amongst each other. I may give it a try in the future after I finish Unchained Blades.

Now Unchained Blades (also recently on the 3DS), it seems to be exactly what I was looking for- a dungeon crawler RPG with a monster catching system, with colorful monster people characters (Phoenix, harpy, dragon, medusa, golem, kitsune, etc.). This game brought out a new RPG style that I came to appreciate even more- dungeon crawlers. I never thought I could like another besides SMT Strange Journey, but I think I may becoming an DC addict. ^^:
inc1013
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Meh
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by inc1013 »

Mine would have to be the Turn Press from SMT Nocturne (Which I have yet to play) and SMT IV (Which I have) or Alternatively: The Position based battle system From Chrono Trigger.
Men do, through the roads they walk.
Men born by pain and anguish find compassion; by compassion find pain and anguish
The roads we walk must be walked upon, so our legends and history will not go untold.
May we find tomorrow is as bright as we dream, and our past forgotten about ebony roads.
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Protector of Lolis

Post by Jinouga87 »

I like the ATB or Active Time Battle System from FF4-FF7. The characters have ATB gauges that fill and allow them to act. I also prefer turn-based and real time battle as well.
L337 m4n
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lord Shadow
Favorite Monster Type: Imps and kunoichi

Post by L337 m4n »

Turn-based and the ATB system of FF7-13 as well as real time battle is what I'm for.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

inc1013 wrote:Mine would have to be the Turn Press from SMT Nocturne (Which I have yet to play) and SMT IV (Which I have) or Alternatively: The Position based battle system From Chrono Trigger.
Hmm I'd have to agree, I loved those 2 battle systems as well. When it comes to turn based, they would be my picks. You really have to plan out your fights in them. I miss the Nocturne battle style a lot. The games feel like they have been simplified down since then (along with Persona 3/4). I miss watching the MC punch huge demons in the face..
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jinouga87 »

L337 m4n wrote:Turn-based and the ATB system of FF7-13 as well as real time battle is what I'm for.
FF10 doesn't use the ATB system. 11 qns 12 are both real time and 13 uses the Command Synergy Battle. FF13 is okay but it isn't true ATB in that you don't really control much of anything.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

And the ATB system was actually introduiced in FF4, and used in FF5 and 6 as well. 10-2 also had it, but in a slightly modified form.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
L337 m4n
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lord Shadow
Favorite Monster Type: Imps and kunoichi

Post by L337 m4n »

Jinouga87 wrote:
L337 m4n wrote:Turn-based and the ATB system of FF7-13 as well as real time battle is what I'm for.
FF10 doesn't use the ATB system. 11 qns 12 are both real time and 13 uses the Command Synergy Battle. FF13 is okay but it isn't true ATB in that you don't really control much of anything.
Well yeah but I guess in FF13:Lightning Returns you have to switch outfits while planning your attacks. Kinda like that in Bravely Default as the outfit you use could make or break a battle.
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Jinouga87 »

L337 m4n wrote:
Jinouga87 wrote:
Well yeah but I guess in FF13:Lightning Returns you have to switch outfits while planning your attacks. Kinda like that in Bravely Default as the outfit you use could make or break a battle.
Yeah every outfit has an ATB Gauge that recharges. It's an interesting system.