[3DS/WIIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Tri G)

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

[3DS/WIIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Tri G)

Post by Pokemonaces »

Coincidentally, I never originally intended to pick up Monster hunter as a game. I came one day and bought fire emblem Awakening, then the cashier asked if I wanted to reserve the game. And so I did. When I got the game, I played for a bit, but didn't really play it until I got ahead of my friends in Fire emblem. When that happened, I'm glad I reserved it because this game is f***ing Awesome! :supersayan:

Intro:
Spoiler: show
[youtube]4XvxNCyUGJk[/youtube]
You start out as a hunter at a Village called the Moga village. The game nicely provides you with all 12 weapon types, 9 being Blademaster weapons, and 3 being Gunner weapons. The game allows you to create your own hunter, which is fun since there is a decent amount of customizable option to make your hunter unique. You also start with a generous 50 defense since in past Monster hunter games you start out with 0. All you do is as the game's title implies, Hunt down huge f***ing monsters.

Gameplay:
[youtube]_WwyNSB7mVU[/youtube]
Gameplay is very fun, it's very easy to get sucked into the game. Many people say it is an RPG game, but it's not, you don't get experience points or level up, you just get stronger depending on what monsters you kill and what weapons/armor you can carve out of them. And before I forget, for the obvious, the stronger the monster you hunt down, the better armor and weapons you can get out of it. Now there are 5 element types to the game

- Fire
- Water
- Lightning
- Ice
- Dragon

Each monster has a weakness or two from any of these elements. After defeating them, you can carve them for parts to make weapons and armor. This makes hunting much easier since you become more durable. Now about hunter types

Blademasters:
[youtube]NCw9sR2ivoo[/youtube]
Blademasters are hunters who attack monster from up close, because of this, they need strong armor to defend from attacks. There are 9 Blademaster weapon types

- Great Sword: A slow, but very strong sword. It can charge for increased attack power. It can also shield, this is recommended for heavy hitters
- Long Sword: A moderately agile, and strong sword. It is a well balanced weapon type that allows for strong hits and agile dodges. It has a spirit gauge that when using a spirit combo, can increase your attack power to 3 levels per each successful hit
- Sword and Shield: A fast, and moderately strong weapon. It allows for quick strikes and can use shield to defend from attacks
- Dual Blades: A very fast, and slice and dice weapon. It has a demon gauge which allows you to go to demon mode, which increases attack and speed for a short amount of time.
- Hammer: A very slow, but very strong hammer. It has great power and as a special command that allows you to charge an attack, and the attack varies if you are standing still or moving
- Hunting Horn: A slow, but useful weapon. The hunting horn allows hunter to accumulate colored notes depending on the attack, once a certain order of colored notes are lined up, they can play the melody to increase the hunters stats
- Lance and Shield: A moderately slow, but versatile weapon. The lance is a simple weapon that allows hunters to use a charge strike attack which uses stamina, but can deal massive damage of the monster is staying still. It can also block attacks
- Gun Lance and Shield: A slow, but strong lance. The gun lance can thrust as well as fire blast like shots at monsters. It also allows combo's even while blocking to allow counter attacks. It also has a very powerful single burst shot that deals great damage of it successfully hits
- Switch axe: A slow, but strong and unique switch axe. The weapon can morph into a sword mode and axe mode. In axe mode, it is slow and can deal strong damage and even use a special attack that continuously swings the axe for serious damage. In sword mode, the axe can deal damage depending on the phial type. There is Power, Exhaust, and Element Phial. It can use a special charge attack that can deal massive damage

Gunners:
[youtube]exWAUDeO41w[/youtube]
Gunners are hunters who use ranged weapons to take down monsters. Because they can attack from a distance, their armor is less bulky to allow more mobility and to carry around ammo. There are 3 Gunner based weapons

- Light Bowgun: Light bowguns are light and easy to use bows that shoot at monsters, depending on the type of gun is what ammo it can fire.
- Heavy Bowgun: Heavy bowguns are heavy and somewhat difficult to use bows that can fire strong ammo at monsters. Their ammo is similar to light bowguns
- Bow: Bows are easy to use bows that uses coatings instead of ammo. They have the ability to attack close range, but their attack is limited and only used to repel small monsters.

Multiplayer:
[youtube]hpMiDihHtarM[/youtube]
Multiplayer accessibility depends on the console. If played on the 3DS, people can hunt together locally with up to 4 friends, but it has no online multiplayer. The WIIU Version has online multiplayer. In which case, both consoles can also play together, with up to 3 3DS and one WIIU to play. Lag is uncommon and hunting with friends is a fun and fresh experience.

Graphics: Graphics aren't emphasized in Monster hunter, so even with the HD version, there are some noticeable textures, but as I would personally say, graphics mean shit against fighting such cool looking monsters Like these
[youtube]FaFzKLinHnM[/youtube]
Music:
[youtube]QIPb7cR-DTA[/youtube]
All I can say about the music is that the soundtrack is quiet amazing. Many monsters have their own unique backround music that plays when fighting them. And if fighting a monster with that kind of music playing in the backround isn't bad ass enough, you get the satisfying victory chime when you kill it

Verdict: In my personal Opinion and honest experience, Monster hunter is one of the best games I have ever played that got me so hooked into it that its hard for me to put down, this is a game that really deserves recognition and should be more popular in the US than Japan. Overall. This game gets a 9/10 for me
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Oersted
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Expert Blue Mage
Favorite Monster Type: Too many to list here. DX

Re: [3DS/WIIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Tri G)

Post by Oersted »

I have to agree on it being awesome, and it got me hooked. I have the 3DS version, btw.
:^^:
My character is currently wearing the Royal Ludroth set of armor, endless oxygen and immunity to heat damage (Desert and Volcano) is nice to have.
I use long swords and am actually using two or three at once, I find it easier to upgrade them that way. Now I'm looking for some isisium to forge a Rimeblade. Unfortunately, from what I looked up, you can only get those in the tundra and I dislike that place.
And if you wanted to know what swords I use they are: Drowning Shaft, Chainslaughter and Ananta Boneblade.

Also Cha-Cha and Kayamba are funny little guys, although they tend to be a bit...uh, dumb.
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun

Post by Pokemonaces »

I am currently an HR4 Hunter that has Vangis armor. I also currently use Tenebra, a DLC longsword. It isn't very strong, but the 3 empty slots on it let me put decorations on it that otherwise make it stronger. I have longswords from Rime and Treason, Reaver "Cruelty", Dios Katana+, Wyvern blade "Flame", Barbarian blade "Sharq", Zephr, Hidden Saber+, Despot's Boltbreaker, Rising Soul, Mephitic Katana, and Thunderclap. Having Vangis Armor lets me consume items twice as fast and gives me a large attack boost, the only problem with the armor is that the duration of my stamina is halved because of Raise Hunger.

And Chacha or Kayamba using the False Felyne mask is nice since the bombs often flinch monsters (Specially the Lagiacrus) But damn they suck at aiming, half the time the bomb either hits me or is near me and stops my combo's
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

ShadowTengu
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Sky Pirate
Favorite Monster Type: Sylph, Bicorn

Post by ShadowTengu »

Right now I'm trying to build the Motor Switch axe. It's an upper guild Uragaan thing. And I'm only HR 4... I think. I'd need to check.

As for Kayamba and Chacha, I have Kayamba in the ancient mask with a lot of offense skills. It turns him into a damn killing machine(He finished off a random... Crap, those monsters with the huge swingy tail hammer. The thing you have to fight to get Kayamba. Point is, he killed one. It was hilarious.) And I have the Nulberry mask on chacha. Which not only fits but makes status effect monsters hilariously easy. Just ping and ye shall be cured. I also have a dance set up that heals a lot on Chacha.
Oersted
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Oersted »

Pokemonaces wrote:HR4
I'm still at HR1...
:lonely:
ShadowTengu wrote:those monsters with the huge swingy tail hammer.
They're called Duramboros, and wow, for a skakalaka to kill it, just wow.
:XD:

Anyway, I finally got my isisiums and forged that rimeblade, the next thing I'll do is the missions to kill a Rathalos, for the second one its a Barioth and the last one pits me against a Diablos...I know what to expect from the Rathalos, not sure about the Diablos and I'm not looking forward to fighting the Barioth, I really hate that thing. >_>

As for shakalaka related matters, I don't have many masks yet so I haven't really thought about what to put on who. The masks I have now, excluding defaults are: Lamp, Ancient, Grill and Fluffy. Right now I just have Cha-Cha wear the fluffy(with def up) and Kayamba gets the lamp.(with atk up and affinity boost.)
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun

Post by Pokemonaces »

I am currently HR6, so yes, I'm officially a G-Rank Hunter! The only G-rank Armor I have right no is a Helios Z Armor set, which you can get from a Goldbeard Ceadeus. The strongest weapon I have right now is "Reaver" Calamity, which has a good sharpness thanks to handicraft skill, but at the same time, I also have the blunt edge skill so that doubles the rate of my weapons dulling during a fight. Which can rather be inconvenient

Oersted
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Oersted »

Well, I haven't played MH3U for some time now but I'd like to share a weird event that happened when I was hunting some small fries for a quest. I kinda forgot about it until now so here.

As I was saying, I was minding my own business hunting some small monsters and then this Deviljho, I think it was the sub-species, comes up and tries to make a chew toy out of me, nothing weird there, right? What's weird is that after half a minute or so of trying to eat me...well, it just left, seriously the Deviljho just decided to change area for no apparent reason(while I was standing next to it, no less) and left me alone for the rest of the quest, weird, huh?
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun

Post by Pokemonaces »

It does that, and I think the Deviljho you meet there is the normal one since the subspecies Deviljho looks like a normal DEviljho in rage mode, and when it's in rage mode it looks like the one on my sig

hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Elemental Bomber
Favorite Monster Type: Wight

Post by hothead1021 »

Alright i REALLY need hep here, im stuck on the Barroth hunting mission and cant seem to win cause he hits REALLY hard and his mud is a bit to taxing on me, I need to know what armor i should wear, what makes a cleaner, and what traps should i use?

(Edit you know, i think i shoud get into the habit of READING my armor and weapon abilities x.x)

Top 20 Mamono in no order
Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
Marthy and Mara: Thank you Minerva, for our bond with Megumi
kukuruyo
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Evil Artist
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by kukuruyo »

I'm trying to finish my G rank armor now, i hope i get it before MH4 cames out xD
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun

Post by Pokemonaces »

So just a quick update on my progress in this game on my WIIU

I have played this game for 1481:21 (Roughly two months if played nonstop.)

I often max out my Zenny to 9 Mil, but it often decreases since I buy armor, weapons, items, etc

and my HR is 386. I'm still marginally low compared to more dedicated monster hunters out there, I've met some who have HR 999 O.o

When MH4 comes out, I'm gonna try and gather the best (Or worst :p) Monster hunting team XD