Dragon's Crown

New Gen yet old school flavored beat'em up

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Dragon's Crown

Post by Kaijin »

Someone mentioned the lack of a Dragon's Crown topic (I don't remember who, nor does it really matter I guess), so here it is ^^

I finally got my hands on an American copy (because I didn't nor couldn't wait till October for the PAL release), which proved to be quite a hellish ordeal... Importing from American territory (Canada also counts) and other countries like China is incredibly expensive in Spain, a brand new game which costs around 60 € at best (80,27 US $, 83,8 CAN $) while importing it from American territory ends up costing more than 100 € (133,71 US $, 139,66 CAN $).

Luckily (after a failed attempt at amazon.uk) I found that a Spanish online store I usually visit had it in stock (sells import games from time to time) and a with a decent price. One day later I already had it at home <3

I haven't touched that much so far (since I'm in no condition for long gaming sessions much to my chagrin) a couple of story mode missions and side quests, so these are basically first impressions so far.

The first thing to mention is that the game has NO Japanese voice, the playable characters keep both English and Japanese voices, but that's it... the rest is ALL in English: Narrator (English narrator is cool, but the option to switch between both would have been appreciated), NPCs (that includes Rannie and all the AI controlled partners you find and resurrect in your journeys)...
Atlus is already messing with gamers again... They took the Japanese voices (but for the main characters thankfully) out of the American version (Japanese version has both voice sets) in order to make sure that Japanese gamers wouldn't go and buy the American version... Those of Atlus will never learn ¬¬

The gameplay takes a little to get used to. You need both joysticks and the D-Pad in order to control the whole experience, the left joystick to move your character, the D-Pad to select/use items and the right joystick to interact with scenario (send Rannie to open chests and doors, use runes, etc...).
One thing I LOATHE about the gameplay mechanic is that in order to run it's not enough with just tilting the joystick (or double tapping the D-Pad, since the left joystick and D-pad functions can be switched in the options menu) but you must also hold the melee button... which is a hassle when you try to use running attacks... (Or you make a running attack unwillingly in middle of town because of how it was implemented and end up in jail...)
But once you catch the gist of it is pretty funny, and thankfully there's a tutorial.

The character I've used most so far is the elf, she's quick, nimble and not as frail as it may seem at first.
Her personal action (every character has one: melee have a power smash that affect anything in a short radius but at cost of being disarmed for a short time, magic users have the heavy spells as personal action) is her archery she can shoot in the ground and airbone, she can even charge them...but arrows are limited (you start with 10) so you can't go in a shooting spree.
Her melee atacks are all kicks, heck she can even do the Genocide Cutter.

Elf can do this

Graphic wise the game is visually stunning as expected of a Vanillaware game and the game's OST has that fantasy/middle age feel that they were trying to achieve.
As for plot... Well... pretty simple yet effective: Adventurer arrives to new land in search of profit, adventurer joins guild, adventurer hacks and slash everywhere.

If you used to enjoy games like Golden Axe, the arcade Dungeons & Dragons games and other old school beat em' ups, you'll probably love this game. Also it's one of those game that is better to play it with someone else (I can't tell about online gaming yet since the option unlocks once you've beaten 9 stages).

.P.S.: Fun fact-> The Amazon puts that ass of her to good use (She uses a butt slam as a diving attack when disarmed).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Hood
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Succubi Pimp
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi,Slimes,Centaurs,Lamias

Re: Dragon's Crown

Post by Hood »

Kaijin wrote:Fun fact-> The Amazon puts that ass of her to good use (She uses a butt slam as a diving attack when disarmed).
Indeed
Spoiler: show
531.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are those who would scorn good-natured people. Even if God himself will
not show his face, a heartful person will one day take God's place in
visiting Judgement upon them. This is what is known as "Divine Retribution"
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

To be honest that Amazon's appearance is very unattractive to me. I've asked females and they think she is worse than the Sorceress design wise (who was actually called cute). I'll stick to the Archer...she's beautiful. ^_^ I'm impressed with the Mermaid and Fairy artworks too, can't say I liked the harpy design too much though, but eh, she's fine, I just know the artist could of done better.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Just leaving this here:

http://nichegamer.com/2015/10/vanillawa ... mes-to-pc/

It might be a few months old, but hey, it was more than enough to give me a hype boner, hehe. :hehe:
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

I've noticed a lot of games getting PC ports for the past couple of months. Not complaining.
Spoiler: show
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Yeah, good old Steam bringing in the Japan well lately.