[Multiplatform] Mighty No. 9

Megaman's "Spiritual Successor"

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: [Multiplatform] Mighty No. 9

Post by Feathers »

Yeah the "like an anime fan on prom night" comment really ignited a lot of tempers too.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Well, this game got pummeled by reviewers and gamers alike. Curious what the ones on here think about it. I'm guessing Kaijin, Helios, and Blake will have a lot to say about this. Sounds like Shovel Knight is worth a look though. I see a lot of people saying that game does 2D platforming proud.

Overall, from the reviews, it sounds like the biggest $4,000,000 funded failure on Kickstarter though. I watched the gameplay, and it does look pretty dull though. They banned all of their critics on their forums, no wonder it failed so hard. Why ban the people paying your wages? Geez..
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Feathers wrote:Well, this game got pummeled by reviewers and gamers alike. Curious what the ones on here think about it. I'm guessing Kaijin, Helios, and Blake will have a lot to say about this.
Feathers wrote:Overall, from the reviews, it sounds like the biggest $4,000,000 funded failure on Kickstarter though. I watched the gameplay, and it does look pretty dull though. They banned all of their critics on their forums, no wonder it failed so hard. Why ban the people paying your wages? Geez..
I will, although honestly, unless some miracle happens in these few months until the release, I can already see it smashing against the spiked floor of reviews; becoming a sterling example that even legendary developers can fall.

The biggest problem is that, for what I've heard, that their ''Favorite Feminazi Moderator'' gave the B&Hammer to anyone who criticized even the smallest thing, leaving only the cheering yaysayers to continue saying YES!YES!YES! to every bad decision the Dev Team keep making. And that ''anime fan on prom night'' thing was the last nail on the coffin of its public opinion.

It really makes an interesting point of comparison when you look at other KS-funded games with Legendary Developers behind them like IGA's Bloodstained. As someone who donated to them, I can tell you the guy REALLY takes the to heart the opinion of his fans. I mean, heck, he overhauled his graphical engine because the fans said the colors didn't look right, and then even gave 4 different options for the engine to its fans to vote for and decide the best. THAT is a KS done right...
Feathers wrote:Sounds like Shovel Knight is worth a look though. I see a lot of people saying that game does 2D platforming proud.
Oh man, it is. Shovel Knight is essentially a love letter to the NES era's Masterpieces that was polished to such a mirror shine that it stood out on its own. It combines elements from the NES's Finest Five (Zelda, Megaman, Castlevania, Mario and Duck Tales) and creates a game so simple yet so unique and enjoyable both Ol' Skool Veterans and newcomers to the genre will be able to enjoy.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

Shovel Knight was awesome. Quite an enjoyable play. :)

And regarding Mighty No.9.... I'd rate it "Ok, very vanilla" if it wasn't for Countershade's stage... ugh.
Spoiler: show
I mean seriously!? A long, looping level with insta-kill traps, no checkpoints, and if you die, you have to do the whole damn thing over from the beginning!?
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

Well, this game got pummeled by reviewers and gamers alike. Curious what the ones on here think about it. I'm guessing Kaijin, Helios, and Blake will have a lot to say about this.
I can't tell anything yet... European gamer, so the game hasn't been released here yet (I do have the code though, but I'm sure nothing will happen if I input it on PSN before friday).
But taking into consideration what I've seen (and tried since I got the beta) so far... I'm bracing myself for one hell of an impact.
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

I couldn't resist posting this:
3aab8226090155047eb7c02a31d9ad78.jpeg
Guess the internet already knows what's coming....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Yep, let the troll facing Megamans begin. Capcom is probably laughing their butts off right now. Sucks how the paying loyal customers got the shaft though..
lv27_robothero
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Ally of Anon Jr. and time god

Post by lv27_robothero »

I haven't bought Mighty Number 9 yet, but it looks a lot like its inspired by Mega Man 8 more then anything else and I love Mega Man 8 more then 2. Call me crazy but it seems most were expecting MM2 or MMX, not MM5-8 or X8. And I guess taking this into consideration a 5 or 6 out of ten is still a good game but has flaws or features that doesn't let itself shine as well.
My wives
Yuri the Ryu ,Sally the Wurm, Lisa the Dragon, Asterius the Minotaur, Freya the Valkyrie, and Teffy the Pharaoh
My Children
Kira the Holy Dragon, from Lisa.
Meiling the Ryu, from Yuri.
Bath Kol the Valkyrie From Freya
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Oh man, MMX5, the terrible memories...that was my last MM game played.

The main gripes in MN9 were atrocious level designs and terrible special abilities. It's sad really, such a waste of characters.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

I have one more thing to add.

No autosave.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
kukuruyo
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Evil Artist

Post by kukuruyo »

What i've seen public opinion is so far http://kukuruyo.com/comic/gamergate-life-82-english/
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

kukuruyo wrote:What i've seen public opinion is so far http://kukuruyo.com/comic/gamergate-life-82-english/
LOL, I really hope this serves as a lesson for both Indie and AAA Developers about letting self-victimizing feminazies have even the smallest ounce of power within anything...
SIERRA-116
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: MCPO Jason-116
Favorite Monster Type: Snakes, slimes, Alraunes, bugs
Location: Installation 05 "Green Zone" (Codename: Delta Halo GZ)

Post by SIERRA-116 »

Blake81 wrote:
kukuruyo wrote:What i've seen public opinion is so far http://kukuruyo.com/comic/gamergate-life-82-english/
LOL, I really hope this serves as a lesson for both Indie and AAA Developers about letting self-victimizing feminazies have even the smallest ounce of power within anything...
I think that could serve as an example for all walks of life.
To find him, you must forget the stories...

Forget the legends...

You have to do more than walk in his footsteps...

For he is more than the sum of his actions...

I tell you this, not because I trust you...

But because all our lives are at stake...

Because the seeds of our future... are sown in his past...
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

You read an article with "Gamergate" in it Blake? O_O

Opinions

I don't think it was entirely the moderator's fault (though she definitely hurt the community). Inafune failed on his own and he even admitted that he is the bearer of that title of failure. He's just irrelevant now, and seemingly out of touch with today's popular platformer games. He still has great character design ideas though. Dude should just sell his characters and let real devs use them as they see fit.
lv27_robothero
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Ally of Anon Jr. and time god

Post by lv27_robothero »

Having just beaten the game blind, I actually really like the game, it's around in the top 10 mega man games for me. Sure the game has a lot of major flaws. At first I disliked the dashing to kill foes and damage bosses but it grew on me and I enjoyed the weapons in this game. The placement of spikes and instant death pits is bit obsessive but no where as much as AVGN Adventures. Only had the game bug out on me twice on the PS4 with one actually making the endboss a piece of cake, and the other was probably just my PS4 freezing like how it usually does 3 times a week.

The Graphics while on the bland side especially cut scenes make some sense that they probably spent too much money trying to be ambitious. I also found the voices too be way to loud with the music too low or bland. A few tracks are actually are good but the low sound quality makes me only hear Becks jumps. The corny english voice acting is quite charming reminding me of 80's and 90's cartoons. The Levels seem like they came straight out of X-6 I'll admit with little room for trail and error, but once I mastered and memorized the levels I had a blast playing them. The boss's are probably the best thing about this game. Fighting them is great and fun but when you actually see them interact with each other they actually feel like a family and the dialog wasn't too distracting as I didn't need to pause to just read what's going on. I'm a hardcore Mega Man fan, but I can also the flaws this game carries.

I would place this at number 7 of my favorite Mega Man games. With my list being
01. Mega Man X2
02. Mega Man 5
03. Mega Man 10
04. Mega Man 8
05. Mega Man X
06. Mega Man 7
07. Mighty Number 9
08. Mega Man X6 (the music makes me forgive a lot of this game)
09. Mega Man V (game boy)
10. Mega Man X Command Mission
My wives
Yuri the Ryu ,Sally the Wurm, Lisa the Dragon, Asterius the Minotaur, Freya the Valkyrie, and Teffy the Pharaoh
My Children
Kira the Holy Dragon, from Lisa.
Meiling the Ryu, from Yuri.
Bath Kol the Valkyrie From Freya
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

Mega Man X6 (the music makes me forgive a lot of this game)
The OST and Norio Wakamoto (he voices High Max) are the only redeeming qualities that game has...

Anyway...
I did receive the code, but I haven't tried the game yet... As I'm spending most of my PS3 time training for a tournament held in November (in order to have the privilege of representing your country on international tournaments you must do some sacrifices...).

Besides that this game gives me a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" vibe...
I paid for this game and I'll end up playing it eventually, but... do I really want to? Everything I've seen (and tried thanks to the demo) so far makes me cringe. x_X
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.

Post by Scrapmaster »

Megaman X command mission...God I miss that game.

It was such an underrated gem of an RPG...
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Nice to hear one person had a good experience with it. I know I'll eventually buy it, once it's very very cheap.

I liked MX4 and MM4 best myself, after those would be MMX and MMX3. They had my favorite powers and characters (Freaking Storm Eagle, man!). The introduction to the mega buster in 4 and a Zero campaign were finally fun and fresh experience. Also, Iris would be my first gynoid/robo-girl crush, and it didn't last long thanks to her fate. X_X Once I heard her REAL voice (being a kid, I had no idea about the world of bad dubs yet) the crush grew larger. :)