Video Game News

A good place to dump gaming based news.

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Re: Video Game News

Post by Flare »

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/12/18222 ... ruary-2019

Oh man... that just...wow. 800 laid off...
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

So, Reggie retires, and already has a replacement...

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/21/18235 ... -president

Because in real life, the best jokes write themselves.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

He is already embracing the birthgiven surname of Bowser! We finally get a evil overlord at the helm.
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/ ... s-so-much/

Very good, Nintendo. Now, if you could turn that magnificent school of thought into a red hot brand and sear it into the minds of all other AAA-Developers, the world would be a better place...
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Coming from Nintendo the gimmick gods, I can't help but laugh at that statement. They gouge (with hardware, Amiibos, software, etc..) more than any other game company I know! The Wii U's complete failure left me bruised badly though. And all the 3DS remakes and (basically) forced hardware upgrades to even play some the newest 3DS games.Then they re-release Wii U games on the Switch and people go nuts for some reason...Gonna take me a long time to recover.

I'm just as disappointed with Sony though, the PS4 was extremely disappointing in every way possible for me. The Vita was abandoned way too early and way overpriced memory cards.

Even the PC scene is pissing me off with this near $1000 graphics cards just to get decent FPS. Hell, back in 2008 I thought $400 was a lot for the 9800 GT which was very good, now $400 will barely get you a decent 5 year old graphics card.. Mobile games are just as bad with the insane hardware requirements. Need a freaking $800 phone to play some of them! Gaming scene in general is just way too expensive for the hardware and it's depressing. Alternatively, we have endless "retro" games rehashing 90s Nintendo games. >_< *sigh*

----

Just in!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18254 ... kit-switch
Spoiler: show
I admit I love my modified Switch though. ;)
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

I was wondering why buyers always asked for the serial number for my Switches sold. All said 2019 models aren't jailbreakable (For now).
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Pierce wrote:I was wondering why buyers always asked for the serial number for my Switches sold. All said 2019 models aren't jailbreakable (For now).
Haha, they never will be. The NVIDIA Tegra chip exploit was patched in the newer Switches.

The fault wasn't with Nintendo, but the third party NVIDIA. Nintendo's new security is unbreakable.

https://hackinformer.com/2018/07/18/how ... do-switch/

Still very easy to find old XAW100 Serialed Switches from 2017 at Best Buy though. I was surprised since I just checked yesterday for laughs. My friend bought it lol
Flare
Sun
Sun

Post by Flare »

So, Chip's Challenge is free on Steam now. :D
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Somehow I never heard of that one. I think I was busy no life-ing Super Mario around that time. I did play Lemmings, Simcity, Duke Nukem (1), Prince of Persia, Commander Keen, a lot on the IBM back then though. Must of not been popular in my area. Back then in my area they had HAM festivals that my dad took my to, and they were selling copied games for a few backs heh.
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

So... Microsoft just gobbled up Bethesda (actually Zenimax; its parent company, but still the same), and ho boy! Talk about a plot twist-

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/micro ... 0-6482406/

Now, a lot of folks are worried about this; a big fish like Microsoft (who's not know being the best of companies) suddenly devouring one of the other big fishes like this has made many think of when Disney bought FOX. However, I for one, am not worried...

A long while back, when Microsoft acquired Obsidian, I was really worried that'd be the end of it; that they would just make them sequelize their games into oblivion to make a quick buck. But instead, Obsidian has been pumping out quality content like Outer Worlds, and recently have been working on a new game called Avowed, which is positioning itself as a "Skyrim Killer". Heck, even Mojang (Minecraft company) has been doing great since Microsoft go it.

So, with Bethesda's less-than-good recent track (Mainly F76, which I no longer play, as these last few months of patches have slowly removed every single thing I enjoyed on it...), the idea of them being purchased, and maybe getting some kind of quality control requirements that will force Lying Todd to drop the "It Just Works" mentality in exchange for some actual good quality, is something I see as a good thing. Plus, with them sharing owner with Obsidian, it means that Microsoft could even force Bethesda to let Obsidian work on a Fallout game again, or even straight out rip the entire Fallout IP out of Bethesda's hands and RETURN IT to the people who originally CREATED the entire setting, and that now make up most of Obsidian senior devs.

So, yes, despite my usual dislike of Microsoft, I fully endorse this.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

To be honest I thought the acquisition was good news as well, for Beth since they have been doing so awfully with 76 as you said. WAAAY better than someone like Tencent getting their tendrils on it! Tencent is, in my book, the new big bad. I'm softening on M$ a lot lately. I just hate Windows 10 Updates LOL but I got Pro now so I can block that sheet if I want.
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Feathers wrote:To be honest I thought the acquisition was good news as well, for Beth since they have been doing so awfully with 76 as you said. WAAAY better than someone like Tencent getting their tendrils on it! Tencent is, in my book, the new big bad. I'm softening on M$ a lot lately. I just hate Windows 10 Updates LOL but I got Pro now so I can block that sheet if I want.
Oh yeah; had it been Tencent or EA, I would've weeped as I know those two Evil Megacorps would only add Lootboxes to the games. Microsoft, on the other hand, doesn't have a reputation for Lootboxes like EA, and doesn't belong to the CCP's Propaganda Branch like Tencent.

And btw, if you want a Win10 that's got 90% of the shit cut off, check out Win10 LTSC (Long-Term Service Branch), which is basically Windows Server for the new generation; a no-nonsense OS with only the TRULY IMPORTANT UPDATES, and with full control of what they do and don't. Like a Pro, but Pro-er.

Me, for my part, I am trying to get into Linux; to create a KVM-QEMU Machine that will allow me to have both Win10 AND Win7 at the same time... But HOLEY HELL, Linux is truly the stuff of Elder Hackers. I feel like a grandma with her first laptop...
Flare
Sun
Sun

Post by Flare »

So, Left 4 Dead 2 got it's final major update. The Last Stand update.

Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

Post by Pokemonaces »

Played with the update just last night. The differences were subtle, but nice.

Some new weapons were cool to see, and I think some new guns since there was one gun I don't remember being in the game there before.
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Flare
Sun
Sun

Post by Flare »

I didn't see any new guns in the update news, but there was the shovel and the pitchfork.

And man I am RUSTY at L4D2... granted my last game was in 2012...

EDIT: Ok, now I see what they did, they made weapons that were only in the German version available to all players.

Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun

Post by Pokemonaces »

Ah alright. And yea don't worry I was rusty (Or I just suck at general) too.

Died at the 3rd phase of the swamp level. Damn charger and Tank came at the wrong place at the wrong time >_<
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Flare
Sun
Sun

Post by Flare »

At least I still got my touch when it comes to Witches. They like me, and not in the "RAR KILL!" way, but the "You can live." way.

Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

f68ab74c63.png
Just a friendly PSA for Switch owners, that's all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun

Post by Pokemonaces »

Appreciated reminder thanks. Though by now knowing how much google knows about me due to my careless frolicking of the internet, I doubt it'll change much XD

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Lol, assholes. Makin money off my free time? Nope! My Switch NEVER goes online anyway.