City Builders and other Sim Games

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Observer
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Stranger
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Arachne and Scylla

City Builders and other Sim Games

Post by Observer »

Does anyone here play these types of games? The SimCiy series, Stronghold, Impression Games' historical city-builders (Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus: Master of Olympus, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom), Cities XL, the Tropico series, etc. Since I said "and other Sim Games", The Sims series also counts alsong with Will Wright's other Sim games. And maybe vehicle simulators too.

City-building, along with strategy, is my favourite genre. Although these days I'm more concerned with making visually appealing cities. Which is why SimCity 4 is my favourite game right now. The mods allow a great deal of variety for buildings and scenery (although they will clutter up your building menus). Currently I have about 2.3 GB worth of mods installed in my plugins folder. Here's a few cities I've been working on:
Nuer-Jul. 16, 551393590092.png
New Sanctuary-Jan. 28, 1731393608035.png
New Sanctuary-Feb. 1, 1731393608069.png
I'll probably also post about other games that I found out about.

Does anyone else have any stories to share? Know of any games we don't know about?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: City Builders and other Sim Games

Post by Feathers »

I used to play SimCity for hours on end the SNES. After SC2003 I haven't looked into it much, though the newest game does look pretty good. The DRM fiasco shied me away from Maxis in general.

I could never get into the Sims though, it felt too linear for me since the entire game was based on "Wishes".
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

Post by [BRindustries] »

A while back I occasionally played the sims, but the most interesting part for me was designing the houses themselves. Anything that happended after that wasn't all that interesting to me. (wich is probably why I came to like minecraft so much)
Though I do enjoy strategy games from time to time, it would be no overstatement to say that I totally suck at them.
(i'm a terrible multitasker you see) :^^;:
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

If you ask me, the best one was SimCity 2000, though I also played quite a bit of the original SimCity, as well as SimFarm, and SimEarth as well.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Yeah SC2K was the best in my opinion too. Nowadays I'm simply too impatient to play them though. >_<
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

Oh yeah, I also got the MLP Gameloft game, sorta like SimCity light... but not a bad time passer.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

Well, I did say I'd post about games I found out about, while lurking on /cbg/.

For starters, there's ... uh, well there's Space Pioneer.

[youtube]VJbtnpabGJc[/youtube]
Spoiler: show
I recognize the footage from National Geographic's Journey to the Edge of the Universe
Basically a space exploration and colony building sim. Fully customizable spacecraft, RTS elements, interacting with aliens. I'm interested in that kind of gameplay.
Seems like it's barely one fifth funded with 6 days to go. Bummer. It was a nice setting too. But I don't think anything can save it now.
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

The gameplay does sound fun and I'd love a space colony builder, but knowing its a kickstarter game lowers my expectations. Has there been a successful Kickstarter game yet that actually has delivered on its promises? I currently know of none.
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

I did want to post about some other games that I found out about, that I found interesting, but, obviously, I never got around to that, so I'm 6 months late.

So, I'll just mention Forsaken Fortress. Because I thought it was pretty interesting.
[youtube]ETzhyKwFCDQ[/youtube]
Postapocalyptic sim/rpg game. Build apocalypse shelter/fortress, manage your team, fend off mutants/zombies, scavenge. Successful Kickstarter. Not much in the way of updates.

http://www.forsakenfortress.com/

Now for something more recent.
[youtube]lxfeBpagvQw[/youtube]
Cities: Skylines is a new game being developed by the makers of the Cities in Motion games and published by Paradox. It kind of looks like your usual city builder, still there are some attractive features. Modding will be there. Also, "Play offline". A nice take that on EA. Graphics look pretty good for an alpha.
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Forsaken Fortress sounds quite fun. If only I could load the website.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Ever tried Anno 2070? It's really fun, probably my favorite city builder of all time. Great graphics, deep gameplay, fun (imo) story line, and hours go by so quickly while I play it. Uplay WAS a hassle though, I admit, but the game is great!