Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Arcade - "Tengu'd or Alive"

Beware, now sexiness comes from above

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Arcade - "Tengu'd or Alive"

Post by Kaijin »

(While I'm aware that the game itself doesn't revolve around monster girls, the inclusion of a character that fits the theme into the roster makes this thread pretty much worthy of being posted in this very subforum)

After the inclusion of Marie Rose (a young Gothic Lolita styled Swedish girl known for being the first flat chested and petite character ever appeared on Dead or Alive) and Phase 4 (yet another Kasumi clone (hooray) that has yet to be included in the console version as DLC), Team Ninja has shown the intent of keep increasing their roster (and depleting our wallets) and a third new character that will be hitting the arcades pretty soon: Nyo-Tengu

Nyo-Tengu (or Nyotengu) is a 1018 years old character, who is a clanswoman of Bankotsubo (Dead or Alive 2's final boss), is known for being a practicioner of Tengu-Do (Fictional martial art whose name could be translated as either "path of the tengu" or "way of the tengu").
Her name literally means "female tengu", which has lead Team Ninja to consider changing her name in Western territory once she gets released in the cosnole version of the game (since apparently they have already begun to have show of displeasement from Western gamers over such a matter).

Stunning, simply stunning

[youtube]WBZGzmVNrZs[/youtube]
She looks pretty funny to use. While she still seems to share some of Bankotsubo's silly moves and mannerisms (which could be pretty much a common trend among Tengu-folk in DoA's universe), she seems faster and swifter than her male clansman, and her focus on aerial moves makes her a neat addition to the roster.

She will be released on Arcades on late June, and while a date for her DLC appearance she will not be taking that long to make her jump into consoles (early 2014 3rd Trimester possibly)

.P.S.: Dat spinning pile driver...<3
Last edited by Feathers on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adjusted title name.
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Arcade - "Tengu'd or Alive"

Post by Feathers »

After reading she is just a gender swapped version of a past male character in the series, I feel less interested. :^^;:
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Glyph Swordmaster
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Lizardman, Sea Bishop

Post by Phantom77 »

I know about her. I thought she was kind of interesting. She's like a slow power character. But she can be deadly if used by an experienced player, plus she can move in the air. i wouldn't go as far to say she's nothing more than a swap for Tengu from DOA 2. She's got her own uniqueness, you know?

I downloaded core fighters not too long ago. Should probably get the whole game, but I also want Under Night-in Birth Exe-Late.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

She's got her own uniqueness, you know?
I don't know (she hasn't been released on consoles yet), but I sure hope so...
Bankotsubo Tengu was one of the most hateful, annoying, pointless and dumb characters I've ever seen in a fighting videogame (and considering that I've spent more than half of my life playing fighting games that's saying a lot), the less she has in common with Bankotsubo the better for everyone (monstergirl lovers, fighting game fans and DOA fans).
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

There's release date on her console appearance and it's meant to be way sooner than I had anticipated.
She will make her console debut on September 2nd (NA, JP) and 3rd (EU), so I'll tell you how she turns out to be in a month or so.

here's the link (Necessary to avoid blatant, harsh and rule breaking abuse like it happened on the Smash thread)
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

Well, I finally could lay my hands on her and here are my two cents:

-Unlike what could be expected she retained her original name (Since Team Ninja/Tecmo got a fair share of complaints about her name the choice of them changing her name was quite real)
-If you're planning to use her... Switch the voices to Japanese, seriously ^^U (DOA 5's English voice acting is great... but Nyotengu's voice is a HUGE flop in English, it doesn't manage to capture Nyo's teasing and playful nature at all... It's just meh (as if the voice actress limited only to read it and call it a day)).
-Nyotengu's playstile is near identical to DOA 2's Bankotsubo Tengu, but she's not nearly as overpowered as him (He was a final boss after all).
She's got her own uniqueness, you know?
...Indeed she has...

The first thing that comes to mind is that she isn't nearly as swift nor agile as the videos showed (or what people could expect from a "wind based" monster girl), as it happened to Bankotsubo, her moves are way too open and sluggish, not to mention that most of them have a high amount of recovery time... So if you miss your foe will have a lot of margin to punish you...

However she can pack quite a major punch and has a huge array of throws at her disposal, which make her quite deadly at close range... She even has both an anti-air throw and a launcher throw (which looks way more damaging than it really is, but hey...) and can use flying/soaring in some moves which is a nice touch.

The most unique trait about her? Taunts... lots of them, seriously... she's the taunt queen, she even has a taunt when she's knocked down where she begs the opponent for mercy.

Also she's the DLC character with more in game outfits of all, which is a really nice touch, and her DLC outfits change her maple leaf fan for another item fitting to them if needed (the cheerleader one wears a baton and the towel wears a paper fan).

All in all, she's a pretty fun choice to have in the roster so if you have the game and a few dollars/euros to spare give her a chance ^^
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Glyph Swordmaster
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Lizardman, Sea Bishop

Post by Phantom77 »

I told you she would. ^^ And yeah, she's not a character for beginners. She more suited for more intermediate players, as her moves are slow but they're very damaging. While she does have many in-game costumes, half of them are just re-skins of her default outfits. At least that's how I feel.

I'll definitely think about picking her up whenever I decide to upgrade Core-Fighters.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God