Your Favourite Game Endings

When a game ends on a high note or in good fashion

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Azrael
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Historian Mad Nut Head
Favorite Monster Type: Echidna, Lamia, Ryu
Location: Deep in a large underground home making untold mad creations

Your Favourite Game Endings

Post by Azrael »

Hey all

From looking back at some old games and new ones I've come to either hate some endings to games (let's not mention the Mass effect issue its been done enough already) but sometimes game endings can be in my opinion the highlight of the game experience.

Well here is a place for you to talk about your favorite game endings and why, as well as game ending aspects you enjoy. Simply post a video of that ending if you can and explain why you like it, and also what you like about the build up to the ending. however if you don't like to know about the ending simply don't click the video :)

I'll start with a revived classic I like "Deus Ex"
[youtube]Qh7PmunYnok[/youtube]

Ok this first one is a collection of the 3 main endings for the first Deus Ex games, why I like about them is not all are even ethically good options to choose from. They are rather necessary evils for the world and mankind to survive with, its all up to your matter of what you think is the least evil or the right course for humanity, I ended up picking them all since each has its merits as well as being another evil.
Evil!? Meee!?...no! no I will not accept that, we are conditioned simply to survive, we can only survive by becoming the only dominant species. When all other lifeforms have been suppressed when we are the only dominant race in the universe. Then we shall have peace, wars will end.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Re: Your Favourite Game Endings

Post by Helios Leinheart »

My favorite ending would have to be Wild Arms 2.

I gotta keep this abridged since I'm on my way to work. The legendary hero that you heard about at the beginning of the game is reincarnated in Ashley, the main character, and the power of the evil Lord Blazer that you've been using for the whole game is expelled from you and takes form. Using the incredible power of the legendary sword and a slew of new abilities, you must destroy Lord Blazer with the help of the prayers of your friends.

It was the first time I experienced what is technically a predetermined boss fight. I didn't know if there was a possibility of losing, but with the memorable music that was playing, I sure as hell didn't think I was going to.

Fast forward to 28:56 for the battle I speak of. Unless you actually care about the prerequisite stuff.
[youtube]wphcv8fjqDU[/youtube]
Klobbert
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: It's Klobberin' Time
Favorite Monster Type: Arachne, Mermaids, Orcs

Post by Klobbert »

One of my favorite game endings, as well as favorite single player stories of all time, has to go to Spec Ops: The Line. Specifically the "good" ending where the protagonist Captain Martin Walker lives and goes home. Or so it would seem, anyway.

[youtube]Gv4c1xenTPY[/youtube]

The thing I love about Spec Ops: The Line is that it's not your average war game. It's not about being the hero, despite Captain Walker trying to be one, and it shows how your actions (or inactions) can have consequences. Not only that, but it also portrays how this Delta Force operative is slowly losing his mind as he travels through the hellish wasteland that is Dubai.

The one key thing you may notice while playing is that when a "real" sequence ends, the scene cuts to black, while when a "hallucination" sort of sequence ends, it will cut to white instead. After the hell on earth Captain Walker went through, it seems like things will finally be looking up for him, giving up peacefully to go home. As he is being driven off, what does the scene cut to? White. All of that hope for nothing, it would seem. Which is why I love this damn game. It doesn't just hand you a happy ending like so many other games do, it doesn't make things look hopeful for Captain Walker. Not to mention his response to the soldier on how he survived all the shit that went down in Dubai, simply being "Who said I did?"

I didn't like the ending of The Line just for the sake of the game leaving off on a dark note, I liked it because it had an impact on me. Usually when a game ends, I feel "Wellp, that's that. Now what?", but when The Line ended, I couldn't help but think over what had just happened throughout the entire game, and what it all led up to. I wouldn't say it changed me, but it definitely left quite an impression on me.

I'm also a fan of how the Fallout games do their endings, showing how your actions affected the Wasteland factions and communities as a whole. Aside from Fallout 3 in particular half-assing it, anyway.
"Yo Buddy, still alive?"
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Killing this ....person, at the ending of FF7 was and is the greatest ending for me.

[youtube]q4CNM89W9k0[/youtube]
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

[youtube]WywwCVYrUBc[/youtube]

This tends to be forgotten over more popular titles (Final Fantasy comes to mind) BUT this is a HARD RPG where much of the game you are playing catch-up. When you finally beat the game you get a great soundtrack, and, as the author of the strategy guide says, you earned it a kajillion times over!
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

Two Wild Arms nominations in just five posts? Guuuuuurl!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Sounds like I missed a good game during my FF fanboy days..
Azrael
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Azrael »

I'm glad the topic is getting a bit of interest, the. Again I don't remember ever playing a single final fantasy game, I had a different childhood :mrgreen:
Evil!? Meee!?...no! no I will not accept that, we are conditioned simply to survive, we can only survive by becoming the only dominant species. When all other lifeforms have been suppressed when we are the only dominant race in the universe. Then we shall have peace, wars will end.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

The ending to FF6 was one of my favorites, personally.

[youtube]e52-4yk_BYE[/youtube]

Bit on the long side, yeah... but satisfying.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Azrael
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Azrael »

[youtube]XFcLRYYtHgA[/youtube]

Oh boy this ending made me smile today, thank you Wing Commander (Chris Roberts work) as well as Mark Hammil and Macolm Malcolm McDowell acting :^^: