Scariest things in games

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Scariest things in games

Post by Helios Leinheart »

Until recently, the scariest thing in a game for me was the Regenerators from Resident Evil 4. I can handle them okay now, but it was hellish on my first playthrough.

But now, it's something from Dark Souls 2. It's the Shaded Woods.

When me and my buddy first played the game, we had a policy to not look up something except as a last resort. Looking back, I wish we had right off the bat. I was the first to get there and I hated it. Me and him both have an intense fear of open water in the dark. The idea that something is lurking right underneath you and you can't see it. This forest is very much that same concept. Not only are there creepy ass trees that moan when you hit them, but there are also invisible ghosts that will backstab you, and you won't even see it coming. Add to that the fear that there could be random pits to fall in and you have an experience that just made me sick with stress.

Fortunately, we eventually looked it up and discovered that you can just skirt around the left side hugging the wall to get through the place without any trouble. But I still hate walking into that blinding mist every time I get there. I still haven't explored the whole place even. God knows what I'm missing in there.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Re: Scariest things in games

Post by Flare »

The scariest things about games?

The price.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.

Post by Scrapmaster »

Flare wrote:The scariest things about games?

The price.
first day DLCs friend...first day DLC... :stunned:

although ghosts in fatal frame can be quite freaky Image

Oh and btw shaded woods ain't nothing like valley of defilement

just saying.

OR THIS ASSHOLE Image
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Humble Bundle friends, Humble Bundle. $1 for 10 triple A games are not unheard of on there. ;) Game prices are only scary when they are NEW. Also game trades.

As for scary stuff in games.....seeing my favorite character die or get permanently corrupted/insane is probably my biggest fear in games. For me killing or running from evil isn't scary, it's losing a close friend. I get attached to characters on games I really like. I was scarred so bad that I have to actually look beforehand on video games to check spoilers.

Videos contain spoilers of course. Just looking at them still causes me stress too. :nono:
Spoiler: show
[youtube]Wx3duFYCcho[/youtube]

[youtube]tA9815Mdvq4[/youtube]
/

Another one would be having to kill/hurt my favorite characters or characters I really like. I've quit games because of things like this. HORRIFYING! And they want to make me kill...HARPIES? WHYYYYYY! Becoming the villain myself, and murdering things I love? Another ultimate fear..

[youtube]se2vXQEXwpY[/youtube]

[youtube]CntFOdmBk-s[/youtube]
L337 m4n
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lord Shadow
Favorite Monster Type: Imps and kunoichi

Post by L337 m4n »

I take it Feathers that you avoid a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh games? Having to fight Mai Valentine or deal with Harpy Girl Duel Spirits would I imagine not be fun for you.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

I never play Yu Gi Oh in general, but thanks for the warning. -_-
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Guess what? If you even heard of Playable Teaser of Silent Hill on PS4, there is a second floor above. You can't go up but if you get lucky(or unlocky). You look up and look back, a ghost is just there staring at ya.
SIERRA-116
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: MCPO Jason-116
Favorite Monster Type: Snakes, slimes, Alraunes, bugs
Location: Installation 05 "Green Zone" (Codename: Delta Halo GZ)

Post by SIERRA-116 »

Honestly, the Flood on the HALO: CE level "343 Guilty Spark" were pretty scary when playing through the first time. The mist, the fog, the shadows in the distance, the friendly blips on the tracker, the music, the Covenant running away from seemingly Marines that vanish before you get there, Covenant waiting at doorways for something, the lack of Elites, the blood stained corridors, the bodies, the damaged parts of the facility, and then... Jenkins' helmet recording.

And then all the little bastards start coming outta the walls! (not really, just breaking through fucking sealed metal doors), and swarm all over you, and then the Elite Combat Forms come in after jumpin' and swipin' at you like crazy. And then you go down the lift, and find there are infected humans too... and that, oh no, they're not your typical zombies, they shoot back.

The level after it though wasn't scary at all, just absolutely aggravating.
To find him, you must forget the stories...

Forget the legends...

You have to do more than walk in his footsteps...

For he is more than the sum of his actions...

I tell you this, not because I trust you...

But because all our lives are at stake...

Because the seeds of our future... are sown in his past...
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

I remember that. Totally took me by surprise. I thought the whole game would be nothing but fighting Covenant fools.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

SIERRA-116 wrote:Honestly, the Flood on the HALO: CE level "343 Guilty Spark" were pretty scary when playing through the first time. The mist, the fog, the shadows in the distance, the friendly blips on the tracker, the music, the Covenant running away from seemingly Marines that vanish before you get there, Covenant waiting at doorways for something, the lack of Elites, the blood stained corridors, the bodies, the damaged parts of the facility, and then... Jenkins' helmet recording.

And then all the little bastards start coming outta the walls! (not really, just breaking through fucking sealed metal doors), and swarm all over you, and then the Elite Combat Forms come in after jumpin' and swipin' at you like crazy. And then you go down the lift, and find there are infected humans too... and that, oh no, they're not your typical zombies, they shoot back.

They're supposed to be scary?
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Azrael
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Historian Mad Nut Head
Favorite Monster Type: Echidna, Lamia, Ryu
Location: Deep in a large underground home making untold mad creations

Post by Azrael »

Ummm do Reboots count as scary in Game series's since I'm always scared that they'll destroy the character and story development

*COUGHS* Ultima 9!!
Evil!? Meee!?...no! no I will not accept that, we are conditioned simply to survive, we can only survive by becoming the only dominant species. When all other lifeforms have been suppressed when we are the only dominant race in the universe. Then we shall have peace, wars will end.
SIERRA-116
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: MCPO Jason-116
Favorite Monster Type: Snakes, slimes, Alraunes, bugs
Location: Installation 05 "Green Zone" (Codename: Delta Halo GZ)

Post by SIERRA-116 »

Flare wrote:
SIERRA-116 wrote:Honestly, the Flood on the HALO: CE level "343 Guilty Spark" were pretty scary when playing through the first time. The mist, the fog, the shadows in the distance, the friendly blips on the tracker, the music, the Covenant running away from seemingly Marines that vanish before you get there, Covenant waiting at doorways for something, the lack of Elites, the blood stained corridors, the bodies, the damaged parts of the facility, and then... Jenkins' helmet recording.

They're supposed to be scary?
They are when you're fighting them on Legendary in the "Library" mission, and they just keep coming, and you run out of ammo and then the rocket Flood show up. Nightmare.
To find him, you must forget the stories...

Forget the legends...

You have to do more than walk in his footsteps...

For he is more than the sum of his actions...

I tell you this, not because I trust you...

But because all our lives are at stake...

Because the seeds of our future... are sown in his past...
Hood
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Succubi Pimp
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi,Slimes,Centaurs,Lamias

Post by Hood »

hF7EAF2CC.jpg
[/align] Playing the first Silent Hill game at midnight, alone and with the lights off... I have spoken :hero:
silent_hill_1.jpg
Damn, that fog...and the school, and the bridge and...fuck, my traumas!!! :@_@:[/align]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are those who would scorn good-natured people. Even if God himself will
not show his face, a heartful person will one day take God's place in
visiting Judgement upon them. This is what is known as "Divine Retribution"
Fanfic Fetishist
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Deus Ex Epsilon
Favorite Monster Type: All Epsilon Pokegirls
Location: In the background of Epsilon, building the world bit by bit

Post by Fanfic Fetishist »

Five Nights at Freddy's. When you pull the camera down after checking to see where everyone is and OMFG HOW DID BONNIE GET IN HERE WITHOUT ME NOTICING AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
Check out Pokegirls Epsilon!:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=923

Let no one tell you how to live! Define yourself by your own will! Be a storm unto yourself!
Darkness, Light, there is no difference. Stand tall, embrace both, and you can find the true path!
http://www.f-list.net/c/fanfic%20fetishist/
lv27_robothero
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Ally of Anon Jr. and time god

Post by lv27_robothero »

Game and Wario's 'Gamer'minigame. That Mom of his is a total psycho, and because of the atmosphere it's more scary then it should be. You mainly need to try it first hand to know the feeling.

Games simulating high falls or extreme focus on heights (Mainly FPS'). I have a fear of heights and just falling to your doom is something I worry about all the time.
My wives
Yuri the Ryu ,Sally the Wurm, Lisa the Dragon, Asterius the Minotaur, Freya the Valkyrie, and Teffy the Pharaoh
My Children
Spoiler: show
Kira the Holy Dragon, from Lisa.
Meiling the Ryu, from Yuri.
Bath Kol the Valkyrie From Freya
Birdy
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Monster Girl Extraordinaire
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Holstaur, Kikimora, etc

Post by Birdy »

I don't play video games myself, but I love to watch others play, or watch play-throughs on youtube. :)

So far, I think the scariest things I've ever seen in a video game would have to be the necromorphs from the Dead Space games. :?

*Shudder* The games are sooo scary and creepy! The necromorphs are terrifying, and no place is safe! You know something is coming, but you don't know what, when, or from where. Each one is scarier than the last! Also, the knowledge that necromorphs are made from mutated, reanimated human bodies is just... :ohdamn:

Hold me, I'm afraid. :whoops:
<3 "Resistance is futile, you will be seduced." <3
<3
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

Games don't have to be horror to be scary

There's a H-game called Nocturnal Illusions. Not terribly scary by any means, but some of the characters just seem to pop out at the strangest times. It's caused quite a few *ACK!!! Where did she come from??* moments

*offers to hold the frightened lamia*
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Flare wrote:The scariest things about games?

The price.
But but, Steam Sales and Humble Bundles! :)

Really though, ever since the price escalated to $60 in games, I've been holding off on buying anything. Even 3DS games have climbed to $50 these days. Crazy.

On topic though, I don't like games with excessive amounts of organs and mutated body parts, that stuff creeps me out. Binding of Isaac is a good example.