Unturned

For the guys that can't run DayZ

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Unturned

Post by Helios Leinheart »

My laptop isn't very powerful, so when I saw this show up on the Steam frontpage and saw it was free to play AND didn't require a good machine, I gave it a try.

I've been playing for 3 hours straight.

The game is hella early access right now, but I think this is the best time to play it. I'm looking forward to the frequent updates and seeing how much they effect the gameplay. If the game seems frustrating to you at first, trust me, that's normal. It took me a little time before everything clicked. Let me offer you the biggest pro tip I can to get you started off.

The first thing you wanna do is find the nearest town. Use X to crouch and walk or Z to sneak your way into houses until you find a melee weapon. Once you have that, it's very easy to walk backwards and hit groups of pursuing zombies. In fact, it's so easy that I'm fairly certain it's going to be changed before the game is complete. But anyway, you can learn the rest through steam guides.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: Unturned

Post by Feathers »

After Starbound I have to say I'm done trying early access. They seem to harm more than help. The communities seems to be even worse than LoL. >.>

Still playing Awesomenauts though? My friend had me DL TF2 then quits on the first game. So I'm always cautious when trying new games now..
Chanterla
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: the mad doctor.
Favorite Monster Type: troll

Post by Chanterla »

I'm playing that as well it's like minecraft + rust + dayz. very fun game.

also tip if you spawn near the farms (they're close together) check them out you'll usually find either a bow or machete, both are good for taking out zombies with, as the bow is silent, and machete deals some good damage.
Haters gonna hate, hatters gonna hat, potatoes gonna potate.......I have no clue where I'm going with this.

Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

I picked up a sledgehammer and haven't put the thing down once. Man is it strong.

To Feathers, give it a try dude. It's completely free. And about the community, I haven't seen anything worth complaining about.
Chanterla
Magician
Magician

Post by Chanterla »

I know, best melee in the game right now...I have a second in my base in case I die, to reclaim my stuff.....and I have yet to put down my crossbow... 1 shot, 1 kill most of the time.

I also recommend it, and I rarely recommend anything, and yeah nothing worth complaining about in the community.
Haters gonna hate, hatters gonna hat, potatoes gonna potate.......I have no clue where I'm going with this.

Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

I found a chainsaw today, which made me realize something missing from the game. When I first started playing and found a portable generator, the first thing I did was find a gas can before bringing it back to my base. I assumed it would need gas to run, but it doesn't. You can just turn it on and leave it be.

Same goes for this chainsaw. It's just a much better version of the axe.

In other news, pro tip. Get in a car that has gas, honk the horn a few times and wait for the hordes of zombies to come running, and just LOL as you run them over effortlessly, freeing you to raid the town.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Can you play it with friends?
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

Yes, there is a big online element, but I think the servers are messed up at the moment. Apparently it just recently released on Steam and some bugs with the conversion are still being worked out.

Oh, and I'm told that the game is being made by a 16 year old.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Yeah I also heard he's getting a lot of "freelance" help. Still on him though, he managed to make a game at an early age. I've been trying for at least 10 years to make my own game. >.>

Looks like a heavily modded Minecraft. Well when there is a strong multiplayer element I'll try it out, provided the community stays mature (heh).
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

The developer is turning 17 tomorrow. Lol.
Oersted
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Expert Blue Mage
Favorite Monster Type: Too many to list here. DX

Post by Oersted »

Welp, tried to play this but for some reason my comp refuses to play it despite me meeting at least the minimum reqs...
:wall:
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

Can you describe what happened when you tried to boot it up?
Oersted
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Expert Blue Mage
Favorite Monster Type: Too many to list here. DX

Post by Oersted »

Helios Leinheart wrote:Can you describe what happened when you tried to boot it up?
When I try to start the game it instantly tells me "Unturned has encountered a problem and must close."
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

Oersted wrote:
Helios Leinheart wrote:Can you describe what happened when you tried to boot it up?
When I try to start the game it instantly tells me "Unturned has encountered a problem and must close."
Just google the issue and make a thread on the discussion forums on Steam. I'm sure there's a fix.
Chanterla
Magician
Magician

Post by Chanterla »

normally I'd leave old threads dead, but since nelson released the canada map for 3.0 I figured it's bump worthy,

for those who don't know how to access 3.0, right click unturned in your library, click properties, and go to the beta tab, type into the password OPERATIONMAPLELEAF, click submit and choose the preview branch.