Are you Backlogger or a Conqueror?

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.

Are you a game backlogger or a game conqueror?

(Backlogger) Pssh, backlog? It's called a "collection", bro!
22%
(Conqueror) I complete ALL of my games and do not have "backlogs".
7%
What's a backlog? I only play free games. ;)
4%
I'm a bit of both.
67%

Total votes: 45

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Are you Backlogger or a Conqueror?

Post by Feathers »

Do you buy games just because they are on sale?
Do you buy games because you want to experience it?
Do you plan on beating every game you buy?
Why do you even buy games?

I don't know about everyone else, but I for some reason in this day and (Steam) age I've because of victim of the Backlog syndrome. I buy a game that I know I love. Do all the research on it, wait for the sale, read reviews, watch let's plays, etc. What happens? Within a month or so another game pops up, and it all happens again. Thanks to trade ins and sale sniping I've barely spent actual cash on games lately, but I still have at least 10 games waiting to be finished. With things like Humble Bundle giving sometimes 5+ games, I just feel so overwhelmed!

So how about you all? Are you a backlogger or a conqueror? Do you ONLY buy a game after you have finished your previous one? Or do you crave that fresh adrenaline boost of buying a shiny new game? Maybe somewhere in the middle?
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Re: Are you Backlogger or a Conqueror?

Post by DogKama »

I'm a very bad backlogger. I buy games that look and are on sale but I normally just continue playing Europa 4, but the good news is I'm starting to play other games!

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

I'm a bit of both.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Flare wrote:I'm a bit of both.
I knew I should of added that option. Added now. 8-)
Hood
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Succubi Pimp
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi,Slimes,Centaurs,Lamias

Post by Hood »

I'm a bit of both, but I first play the game and enjoy it and only when I really, really stuck (Silent Hill's piano keys, anyone?) is when I do a bit of research. There's nothing like discover stuff n your own ;) Also, lately I only have been playing free games because my financial situation doesn't allows me to buy games (Christmas and New Year, huh?) and also, because Ive been discovering true free and indie gems like zombocalypse, TrackMania Nations Forever and Black Mesa :mrgreen:
There are those who would scorn good-natured people. Even if God himself will
not show his face, a heartful person will one day take God's place in
visiting Judgement upon them. This is what is known as "Divine Retribution"
Flare
Sun
Sun

Post by Flare »

Yeah, especially if one's library has a number of sandbox games, which have no real "Ending"
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

I would say, I'm all over the map on this one :P I tend to play a game till bored with it, head to a new game, then go back to old game after a while. I am NOT a perfectionist so I don't fit the *conqueror* tag, but I pick and choose on backlog so that doesn't work for the *backlogger* tag either... :haha:
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
Flare
Sun
Sun

Post by Flare »

So you would be both. (I'd say "conquer" would also mean finish a game too. Not just getting every achievement in it.)

Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

I'm quite all of the above, and it really depends on the mood.

For example: I'm willing to play new releases even if it was a day one release, but I'm VERY picky with those games that at least follow my niche.
Old games, well, MS-DOS classics and Downloadable PC games from the past ain't so bad either for the nostalgic touch.
Completionist? Not much these days, I mean sure, used to when the Trophy/Achievements system came out, but now I'm pretty casual.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Flare wrote:(I'd say "conquer" would also mean finish a game too. Not just getting every achievement in it.)
Yea, that's what I meant too.

With me, even if I love a game, I'm easily swayed into a new experience. It's a real pain in the tail feathers. Though I think, I DID enjoy the game for over 20+ hours, so it's not a complete waste, yea? >.>
Drazzimyr
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The inactive

Post by Drazzimyr »

I'm a bit of both really. Sure I'll play the games I buy from time to time, but for the most part, Skyrim is my primary time consumer.
Nick115
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Historian.
Favorite Monster Type: None anyone who says i do dies

Post by Nick115 »

Most of the game in my steam library iv beat. I haven't bear 10 games out of 100. So one tenth.

BUT I WILL FINISH THEM ALL DAMN IT. (Plays more EU4/GMOD/CK2/Victoria 2/TF2/DOTA2/Ect.)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Your Heros are their monsters, and your heaven is their hell, and vice versa, but to me, you're all wrong, and you will forever be wrong as long as you see the world in black and white.
Gamergirl64
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Friendly werewolf
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf, Kikimora, Anubis

Post by Gamergirl64 »

I PLAN on completing the games I download or buy, but sometimes I don't always do so, and then I end up keeping it for collections sake. Sometimes the game's too hard, sometimes I lose interest, and most likely the case on Steam, it can't run smoothly, and lags too much for me to enjoy the game.

So I would say... Both? :haha:
(signature made by Pokemonaces)
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Hehe same here I plan and I always WANT to "finish" a game, aka seeing the end, but I always am getting distracted! I'm going beat one this year though! :D Last game I completed was..Bioshock Infinite. I think it's just that the RPGs tend to be too long for me. But, I put over 100 hours in Oblivion and Skyrim, yet never beat them, so.. I don't know. >_<
armouredking
Fool
Fool
Personal Title: Shadamar Fleet Commander
Favorite Monster Type: Spider, Snake, Octopus, Daemon

Post by armouredking »

Mine has grown to be a health issue. Some games I think are going to be good I wind up not finishing because I get physically sick while playing them because they demand the camera angle be at a certain position or they don't allow anything but first person and see the need to make everything bouncy.

Other than that random set, I typically only buy games I intend to immediately play / binge until the end. I have not played many sandbox games as of late so that helps. Then again, I have not played hardly any games as of late. I'm still waiting on Star Citizen and Grim Dawn. Oh, and my collectable reissue of HomeWorld with the fiberoptic light model of the Mothership *coughcough*probably gonna be waitin' a while for that one*cough*.

I replay quite a few games, especially my jRPGs on PS2 emulators. I generally do that though to remind myself of the story, not to get all the awards. Then of course my old 'feel good' games like Homeworld, Descent, C&C, F/SN, IDW, etc.
[BRindustries]
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Clever Commentator
Personal Title: The Fluff.
Favorite Monster Type: Cyclops, without a doubt.^^

Post by [BRindustries] »

Even though my steam library consists mostly of sandbox games and multiplayer games(GMOD ,TF2, HAWKEN, etc.), i'm sort of leaning towards a conqueror. The few games that have a set ending, i've all finished before getting something else. (the sole exception being MGQ3, i still have to finish that one) I don't buy/download games that often anyway, so i have plenty of time to do so. :P
My impulse purchases only occur when mechs are involved. (who would've guessed?) :mrgreen:
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

I'm starting to become a backlogger to some degree. It's a remnant from my childhood days of always wanting something new to play and not caring if it sucks or not. As long as I received a new experience.

That's how I wound up with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Now if there's a game I've been waiting for to go on sale or just to be released, I will play it immediately. Like Chasm. I'm gonna play the shit outta that when it comes out.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

I do enjoy all of my games for at LEAST 30 hours each. I just have a hard time considering the game "completed" unless I see the ending credits. Sometimes major spoilers can kill it for me too.
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Glyph Swordmaster
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Lizardman, Sea Bishop

Post by Phantom77 »

I'm pretty much a conqueror, completing mostly every game I own. Sometimes there's a game I temporarily lose interest in however, and I end up playing something else. I eventually come back to beat it, though.

So I'd say: 90% conqueror/10% Backlogger.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God
Observer
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Stranger
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Arachne and Scylla

Post by Observer »

At least for many of the games I've had you could see the credits from the main menu.

As for me, well I might be both. I usually never get around to finishing my games (without cheating or playing on easy mode) even if I don't have all that many and most of my time is spent on sandbox games (over 650 hours on SimCity 4!), but I still try to progress from time to time.
"I like to watch."