Konami getting out of console games

And going mobile.

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Konami getting out of console games

Post by Flare »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... -at-konami

Apperentally it's because it's console games aren't selling, whereas it's mobile games are.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Re: Konami getting out of console games

Post by Helios Leinheart »

You know, Capcom has had some shitty business practices during that last and current generation of gaming, but at least they're still trying to make games that people love. I am amazed that Konami, a company that used to have a passion for great video games, is actually so business minded that they would stoop down to mobile games. And I'm not even talking about THEIR shitty business practices. They're so bad that they pushed away Hideo Kojima and Koji Igarashi, two of the most iconic creators in the industry. It's like a king who is terrible to his most trusted and skilled knights to the point that the defect to another kingdom.

RIP Konami. You are officially dead to me.
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

While I'm disappointed that Konami's opting out of the console game franchise, they still have my personal appeal in one remaining outlet (Slot Machines that is).
Personally, it seems as though alot of the top video game companies are going to crap lately with the business downpour, let alone Konami. I mean, games lately are overpriced, the peripherals are crap and gimmicky, season passes are outrageous wallet-gougers with little to offer as well and the total lack of PR (Public Relations) in any of them. Seems as though every time I get into video game politics, it becomes this negative corporate greed mindset and completely losing sight of what it is to enjoy a game...
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.

Post by Scrapmaster »

Now we can only hope that the game developers like Hideo Kojima works fin a better publisher.

They also cancelled Silent hill...they're dead to me too.
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

Scrapmaster wrote:Now we can only hope that the game developers like Hideo Kojima works fin a better publisher.

They also cancelled Silent Hills...they're dead to me too.
Sorry, that was going to bug me all day if I didn't.
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Glyph Swordmaster
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Lizardman, Sea Bishop

Post by Phantom77 »

Helios Leinheart wrote:
Scrapmaster wrote:Now we can only hope that the game developers like Hideo Kojima works fin a better publisher.

They also cancelled Silent Hills...they're dead to me too.
Sorry, that was going to bug me all day if I didn't.
Yep, quite a shame really. It's kinda like Keiji Inafune and Mega Man with Capcom.

I suppose we'll just have to hope the creators that left Konami find better opportunities elsewhere.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Ho boy... it seems all the stars of the golden age are coming crashing down...

First I gotta say I'm pretty surprised; I was always sure that Square or Capcom would be the first ones to fall, so it sorta surprises me to see Konami leading the way.

Nonetheless, what is Konami without IGAvania-sensei and Kojima? An empty husk, that is. Lately, I've started to make the mental analogy between the Stars of the Golden Age of Games and the Roman Empire on its last decades...

They're the weakened remnants of what once was a grand empire, surrounded by the ruins of their days of glory and with nothing else but the memories of their heyday times.

It really makes you think. How many of those legendary minds from the game world still remain in the company that made them famous? I can only think of Shigeru Miyamoto, and if he ever decides to turn around and leave, god... we'll see the end of an era.

Still, with games, it's not the brand on the box, it's the stuff inside. And with projects like what IGA-sensei is pulling with Bloodstained (Holy Wall Chickens! Two Millions of greenbacks in two days! My jaw made a crater on the floor.) and what is coming soon with Inafune-sensei's MN9 (hope it's as good as the hype was), I think that we'll see a shift in power to happen in the game world soon enough....

Sadly for Konami, it's not easy for today's Game Companies to compete in the Mobile Market, as for every paid game, there are roughly 20 of the same genre and overall experience. So unless you pull a groundbreaking masterpiece, you won't earn half as good as you did in Console World. IMHO, I think they're setting their own gravestone here.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.

Post by Scrapmaster »

They'l all go to kickstarter, seems to be the Trend now.

I ain't complainin though, I JUST WANT THOSE GOOD TIMES BACK...
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Supreme High ArchChancellor
Personal Title: Homeless Drunkard

Post by KillMoves »

Speaking of Keiji Inafune and Kickstarter, I haven't heard of Mighty No. 9 since its announcement and hype on Kickstarter.

P.S. Who do you think is going next? Square-Enix or Nintendo? Don't know what Square is up to right now but Nintendo's selling FE if like it's Pokemon Black and White.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

Karma is a cruel mistress huh...

Konami literally killed series like Suikoden, Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill, degraded series like Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven and Castlevania into nothing more than jokes, squeezed the Metal Gear series until they became light novels and blatantly ostracized oustanding series like Rocket Knight/Sparkster, Goemon and Gradius.

You reap what you sow, fare thee well Konami... You won't be missed.

.P.S.:
but Nintendo's selling FE if like it's Pokemon Black and White.
You already said why Nintendo won't ever go out of business... When things don't go the way they expected, they simply exploit and squeeze dry their second parties like Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem), Game Freak (Pokémon) or HAL (Kirby).
...And in the nigh impossible case that Nintendo found themselves in a critical situation they would simply stop focusing on big consoles and focus entirely on portable ones.

.P.S.II:
Speaking of Keiji Inafune and Kickstarter, I haven't heard of Mighty No. 9 since its announcement and hype on Kickstarter.
As a backer I can tell you that they're still working on it (every now and then they send mails related to Mighty nº9's development).
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

Kojima was going to save silent hill, but now it will never see the light of day. I wonder if he will create his own dev startup.
Spoiler: show
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Severontous wrote:I wonder if he will create his own dev startup.
Considering how well his colleague IGA is doing, it wouldn't surprise me the least.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

n the age of Kickstarters? yeah probably, I see more and more people want to get paid before finishing the work these days. :lol:
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement

Post by Pierce »

Feathers wrote:In the age of Kickstarters? yeah probably, I see more and more people want to get paid before finishing the work these days. :lol:
Granted they don't end up pulling a Phil Fish with FEZ2 (Cancelling a project yet collecting the money), then sure.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

I can't wait to see the fools Konami makes of themselves at E3 this year. It's coming up pretty soon I think.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

Konami doesn't even have a press conference scheduled for E3, if that says anything.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement

Post by Pierce »

I'll take that as a "Save yourself the embarrassment and don't show at all."
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Add the ''and save yourself from the Torch&Pitchfork wielding masses of betrayed MGS and Silent Hill fans who'll come at you with unwavering vengeance''. :hate:

Seriously, I've see people react in a certain way to that cancellation. And once that settles down, vengeance comes....
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

I find it interesting that Konami jumped ship to go with mobile gaming, and it looks like that has come back to bite them in the ass, HARD
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Currently, the Mobile Market is the Capital of Indieland. For every paid game, there are 20 free games, and even if 10 of those are Shovelware, people simply doesn't notice the big titles anymore. (Not to mention that search engines on places like the Appstore or Google Play are useless for finding games.)

I'll drop in these two videos which pretty much sum up what Konami is about to face.

[youtube]E7lD97BxMN0[/youtube]

[youtube]ZfUfUc9fANc[/youtube]

And as you see, this isn't an problem they can tackle on just by pushing UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A START...