Undertale

The most important RPG of the year

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Undertale

Post by Helios Leinheart »

This new RPG on Steam just kinda flew in under the radar. In fact, if it weren't for one of the artists I watch on deviantart making a post about it, I wouldn't have even known it existed. And not only that, but it was gifted to me on the same day that I put it on my wishlist by an awesome dude. And thank god, truly, because if I had known first hand how special this game was, I would've bought it full price on the spot.

[youtube]xUZ_-bKTxZw[/youtube]

[youtube]1Hojv0m3TqA[/youtube]

Here are a few bullet points that you need to know about Undertale.

---------------------------------------------------

-The battle system is the most creative and engaging I've seen in years. YEARS.

-Nobody has to die.

-High replay value and tons of secrets

-Memorable characters

-The soundtrack is immaculate.

-The story is heartwarming, humorous, shocking, and at times, heartbreaking.

-Fans of Earthbound will undoubtedly enjoy this game.

-The game was made by one person, Toby Fox, who apparently does musical work for Homestuck.

------------------------------------------------

It took less than an hour for Undertale to become one of my favorite games on Steam. It has an approval rating of 99% out of 1300 reviews. For a Steam game, that is LEGENDARY. Not even Shovel Knight has that. And I will admit, the game broke my heart within the first hour. Just buy Undertale. You won't regret it.

P.S. Do yourself a huge favor, don't watch any videos or look up any fanart of the game if you plan on getting it. A lot of it spoils a key moment early in the game.
DragkeirDradon
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: So Called Final Boss
Favorite Monster Type: Dieties & Demons

Re: Undertale

Post by DragkeirDradon »

Hmm, looks like a pretty rockin' experience. Thanks for making a post about it, I wouldn't have known about it myself!
Image "If there is a god... It exists simply to be surpassed, that is our challenge right as humans, as a Lilithian." - The Lilithian Book of Devilry
"War was never my thing, but if it's a fight you want it's a fight you get. so get ready, I'm going to take all of you down Hardstyle!" - Draktheron, A Dark Story: Crizian Sonata.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Great Scribes! It's like Earthbound and Cave Story had a child!! (And those Skeletons make me think of Grim Fandango, too...)
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

I beat the game last night and I'm playing it again. This is RPG of the year material for certain. Debatably game of the year.
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

It really is like Earthbound, going full pacifist.
Spoiler: show
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
Gamergirl64
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Friendly werewolf
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf, Kikimora, Anubis

Post by Gamergirl64 »

As a huge fan of the earthbound series, I decided to finally stop beating around the bush and start playing it. Being as popular as this game is, I can finally see why.

The lore, the characters, the music... This game is so much fun, I almost ended up beating it in one day! Even after watching several lets plays, I still end up finding new things that the other players miss.

The battle/story system is pretty unique. It heavily plays off morality. You can choose whether to be the hero, or the villain. Save everyone, or kill everyone. Of course, this isn't the first time such a mechanic has been in a game (fallout series, anyone?), but it's not used often.

Not only that, but this game takes it to a whole new level! You can literally win the game, while staying at level 1. You really don't have to kill anybody, and at the same time, you also have the choice to kill everybody.

But the characters are so loveable, how can you not want to spare them? If you were to ask me my favorite, I would have one heck of a time deciding, because they're all so impressionable, too. It's just hard to choose.
Though if I were to choose, I think it would be a four way tie between the skelefont bros, the socially awkward otaku scientist, and the music loving ghost confidence issues.
Not to mention, a few of them are pretty relate-able, making them even easier to love.

But I may be sugarcoating it a little too much. What can I say though? I love this game! :^^:
(signature made by Pokemonaces)
DanglyBits
Fool
Fool
Personal Title: The bits that dangle
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by DanglyBits »

The game draws a lot of heavy inspiration from earthbound. Toby's got a good sense of writing and story crafting. Made for one of the best games I've played in years.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.

Post by Scrapmaster »

Just finished the game twice.

Ond neutral pacifist run and the next time a true pacifist run.

And boy did I have an amazing experience playing it. The awesome music the super cool characters (spexially papyrus, love that guy).

Only thing left now...is doing a genocide run...oh god.
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

I love the C64'ish soundtrack. I would of probably LOVED this game 20 years ago. I have a hard time sticking to any RPGs these days though. :(
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Supreme High ArchChancellor
Personal Title: Homeless Drunkard

Post by KillMoves »

Feathers wrote:I love the C64'ish soundtrack. I would of probably LOVED this game 20 years ago. I have a hard time sticking to any RPGs these days though. :(
Worry not, Feathers! The gameplay's more bullet-hell than RPG.

Sure there's turns with the assorted options but since I'm pretty sure you're not a psycho, this game is more like a Telltale game than a turn-based RPG.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

A few warnings to those of you that consider trying a genocide run. Out of respect for your experience, I will put them in spoilers.
1: A genocide run will irreversibly alter your save file. If you try to play a neutral or pacifist run again, characters will react to you differently. I hear there's also an altered ending.

2: I recommend you check the wiki on how to start and continue a genocide run. It's not quite as simple as just killing everything you come across.

3: It gets hard. Be prepared.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.

Post by Scrapmaster »

4- you are gonna have a bad time by that I mean Sans boss fight.
Genocide runs battle music are the best though imo.
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Gamergirl64
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Gamergirl64 »

I don't have the heart to do the genocide run. I had to look up playthroughs of it and such.
besides. Have you SEEN what flowey says to you at the very end of a true pacifist run. It really makes you feel guilty for ever replaying an RPG
Severontous
Moon
Moon

Post by Severontous »

I played the pacifist like I said. Then I played the genocide route, at first I was surprised and somewhat guilty but I ended up enjoying the otherside of the coin, it was almost a completely different game.
I ended up playing genocide route 5 times (yes selling my soul as well.) And you knew what blew my mind? Since sans knows things, probably from being a physicist that worked under Gaster, everytime you battle him his dialogue changes. A small example would be sans sparing you and comming back, but if you complete the game and sell your soul and come back over and over. He talks about how you look more and more evil, among a few other things.
And then ofc there are the 15+ different neutral endings. :@_@:
Gamergirl64
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Gamergirl64 »

It has come to the conclusion by many, that Sans is a self aware videogame character, knowing of the save and reset system, creating different timelines. and such. If you pay attention to his dialogue, in the battle, he talks about how it no longer matters if he gets to the surface, because everyone will be dragged back into the underground, without having any memory of getting to the surface.

A lot of people think that he can also remember the game being reset, every time. When you think about it, that would probably drive anyone crazy. Having accomplished so much, then wake up the next day, and you're back where you started, and no one remembers it but you. That would definitely make my head spin. :@_@:
KillMoves
Emperess
Emperess
Official Title: Supreme High ArchChancellor
Personal Title: Homeless Drunkard

Post by KillMoves »

Gamergirl64 wrote:
It has come to the conclusion by many, that Sans is a self aware videogame character, knowing of the save and reset system, creating different timelines. and such. If you pay attention to his dialogue, in the battle, he talks about how it no longer matters if he gets to the surface, because everyone will be dragged back into the underground, without having any memory of getting to the surface.

A lot of people think that he can also remember the game being reset, every time. When you think about it, that would probably drive anyone crazy. Having accomplished so much, then wake up the next day, and you're back where you started, and no one remembers it but you. That would definitely make my head spin. :@_@:
Flowey/Asriel also know of the save system. He actually uses it against you.

There are also a number of characters who are pretty self-aware. Like that turtle dude near the end. If you're on a genocide run, he'll taunt you with the fact that you can't kill him because he's unfightable.

Oh and The Fallen too. I love that guy.
Severontous
Moon
Moon

Post by Severontous »

Look at what I found.
Gamergirl64
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Gamergirl64 »

oh my gosh. :XD: That's genius.

Shows how bad I am at this game. My record is 15 seconds. :lol:

I wonder if it's possible to select "I want to have a papyrus time". Like, if you can unlock it, or something?
Severontous
Moon
Moon

Post by Severontous »

Gamergirl64 wrote:oh my gosh. :XD: That's genius.

Shows how bad I am at this game. My record is 15 seconds. :lol:

I wonder if it's possible to select "I want to have a papyrus time". Like, if you can unlock it, or something?
No papyrus time isn't real, yet. The controls are slightly off from the real game so I wouldn't use it to practice against the real thing.

I'm not usually known for shitposting, until now...
https://gifsound.com/?gif=https://media ... 4wptBuM6zs

EDIT: I found another thing!
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49857
[youtube]0Yv8Icz2YYs[/youtube]
[youtube]hEnx45eFJRI[/youtube]
L337 m4n
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lord Shadow
Favorite Monster Type: Imps and kunoichi

Post by L337 m4n »

Nice. I started playing and I thought I would go genocide as I would with killing monsters. But as I got to know them and their personalities. . . . I find I can't kill them.

Papyrus, the dog guards, Napstablook and even Shyren are too awesome. I mean you hum with Shyren and start a concert in the middle of battle. Also Napstablook is awesome with how he just mixes his own music.