Senran Kagura 2 Deep Crimson [3DS] Review

Boobtastic game

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

Senran Kagura 2 Deep Crimson [3DS] Review

Post by Pokemonaces »

Okay. So I got my hands the second (or in Japan the third) release of the Senran Kagura series on the 3DS simply known as Senran Kagura Deep Crimson. Now to my surprise, they have vastly improved on previous issues with the previous installment which will be discussed in a moment. All I can say is that this is a nice, beat'em up game for those who want a little...okay a lot of fanservice squished in, then this game should be a pick to be considered

Story

So not to spoil too much, Senran Kagura Deep Crimson follows up after the events of the Burst, leaving the girls to decide their perspective paths and rethink their reasons for being a shinobi. The story itself is relatively short, especially since this is a game that can finish each perspective chapter in less than 5 minutes. I found myself beating the whole story for about 2 hours, but that's because I rushed a lot of the scenes. The story itself has some nice substance to it and gives fleshes out each characters personalities, beliefs, and so on. The main focus of the story though, are the two new characters introduced into the series, simply known as Kagura and Naraku, who play key roles in the story

Graphics

The games graphical aspects have slightly improved, giving the models a slimmer, smoother appearance. But what really shines though in this game is the massive increase in frame rate. In Burst, the frame rate was always sluggish, even with the 3D off, making the game feel slow at a bad 30 frames per second. A bad thing for games that have a fast paced beat'em fashion. But Deep Crimson thankfully fixes this issue to a degree. Running at a smooth 60 frames per second with most scenes and action sequences with 3D off, it made playing the game much more enjoyable. Playing the game in 3D is nice too, but it does tend to lag more often, but compared to burst, it certainly played faster even with 3D on.

Gameplay

As with it's previous title, Deep Crimson is a beat'em game, but changes slightly that the game isn't fixed in a linear setting. In Burst, while able to freely move around in a room in 360 degree's, the moment combat is engaged, the characters awkwardly shift into a straight left or right line and fight in this way. Making hitting enemies hard to tell since attack range is disproportional in Burst. In Deep Crimson however, it allows the character to attack in any angle, and gives a more accurate gauge on whether you make contact with the enemy or not.

Mechanic wise, Deep Crimson changed that it no longer has a Yin Yang System, and instead introduces a new feature in the game known as tag battles, where you gain control of another character. An AI runs the other partner unless you tag, then you control your partner while your primary is switched with the AI. As you battle together and engage in tag battle actions like combined shinobi arts or counters, your affection meter rises, which in turns changes characters dialogue with one another during opening, combined shinobi arts, and end battle sequences.

Of course, with tag battle introduced, there is a multiplayer option that works locally and even online. However, as I found out myself, not many people play online as I barely found any people to play with online. The game also has streetpass capabilities, but it's rather hard to get tag unless you're somewhere heavily populated, a convention of some sort, or japan

Music

In terms of music, the game has a plethora of music to chose from. There was actually a lot I liked to listen to and where rather nice. Orchestration to rock, dramatic to vocal, the music pieces on the game are surprisingly nice for a beat'em up game

[youtube]BzvX-HBt924[/youtube]

Extra's...

One more thing I want to add is the extra's that Senran Kagura Deep Crimson has. In Burst, it had a mode where you can dress up your characters to wear certain outfits, but was vastly limited. But in Burst, the options have expanded immensely, to the point that I felt a bit overwhelmed by the vast customization to each character. There are tons of clothes with different styles and variations of color to chose from, as well as bikini's, accessories, etc. I'm not really yo keen to these kinds of features, but god damn it was fun as hell dressing up some of the characters.

(I actually took a picture of this using my 3DS using the AR photoshoot mode in the game
HNI_0094.JPG
Verdict

A vast improvement to it's previous title, Deep Crimson is much more fun to play. It's replyability really depends on you. I personally play it a lot to level up my characters to their maximum potential. Which will take awhile. So if you have some cash to spare and looking for a beat'em up without minding the overly sexualized characters, then this game is right for you :goodjob:

Story: 7/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 8/10
Music: 8/10
Overall: 8.5/10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pokemonaces on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I wanted to change the music a little as I feel the OP OST of this game better represents just how well the music stands out
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: Senran Kagura 2 Deep Crimson [3DS] Review

Post by Feathers »

I always wanted to try this, but there was a large major problem(s) with it that kept me away. >_< I like beat 'ems ups and cute 3D girls, but man, there is a huge deterrent(s) that always has me turning away. :(

That music is pretty rockin'. Great, I needed some new tracks to blast while playing Heroes of the Storm. :D

Excellent review as always. Short and sweet, with pictures and videos to get your points across quicker.
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

I really hope we see kaguras alt forms in this one.
Spoiler: show
Adult_Kagura_render.png
True_Kagura_SK2_portrait.jpg
Kagura_3rd_form.jpg
I want to see her actually turn the world upside down as her profile says she can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

I own Burst and while it wasn't that much of a great game it was pretty entertaining.
A friend of mine recommended me this game and the pair co-op system this game has looks somewhat interesting... I might try it out if I manage to lay my hands on it (which could prove quite tricky since despite being released in Europe it hasn't been officially released in my country) and more considering I won't be able to play Shinovi Versus (as I don't own a Vita) nor Estival Versus (as my chances of owning a PS4 are really slim... for quite a loooooong time).

I'll start browsing Amazon (UK) to see if I can get a PAL copy for a reasonable price (It's been a while since I played with Katsuragi-nee).
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Severontous
Moon
Moon

Post by Severontous »

Kaijin wrote:I own Burst and while it wasn't that much of a great game it was pretty entertaining.
A friend of mine recommended me this game and the pair co-op system this game has looks somewhat interesting... I might try it out if I manage to lay my hands on it (which could prove quite tricky since despite being released in Europe it hasn't been officially released in my country) and more considering I won't be able to play Shinovi Versus (as I don't own a Vita) nor Estival Versus (as my chances of owning a PS4 are really slim... for quite a loooooong time).

I'll start browsing Amazon (UK) to see if I can get a PAL copy for a reasonable price (It's been a while since I played with Katsuragi-nee).
That Nier sequel is going to be the one game to make me buy a ps4. If not for it I may of never planned on getting one.
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

Post by Pokemonaces »

Me and my Roomy Sai actually planning on getting a PS4 just for that game (and Blazblue Chrono Phantasma) sometime either before christmas or early january. With Christmas going on soon though, I'm obliged to buy gifts for some people, but not much really.

The game btw is really short, least in my opinion since giving this game a good 2 to 3 and a half hours of play without skipping the cutscenes, I already beat the game story wise
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Severontous
Moon
Moon

Post by Severontous »

Estival Versus got the kagura dlc from deep crimson.
[youtube]DXJxe4EJZwY[/youtube]