[Multi] Overwatch

New FPS to blow away TF2?!

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

[Multi] Overwatch

Post by Feathers »

Overwatch is an upcoming class based FPS coming out next month and it's made by the legendary developers at Blizzard. Just these little movies alone are getting me pumped! Anyone else getting it? It's going to be the TF2 killer in my opinion. I've been dying for a new FPS with diverse classes and cartoony graphics. I think this is what I've been waiting for. Good old Blizz!

[youtube]I3WhdXPaUd8[/youtube]

[youtube]YlP-43NwrYY[/youtube]

I guarantee this game has a class for everyone! Here's my favorite (probably).

[youtube]gJA1DVxDAdI[/youtube]

Read up, get hyped! http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/media/
Fanfic Fetishist
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Deus Ex Epsilon
Favorite Monster Type: All Epsilon Pokegirls
Location: In the background of Epsilon, building the world bit by bit

Re: [Multi] Overwatch

Post by Fanfic Fetishist »

I'm more of the type who thinks it'll be its own existence alongside TF2, but I am VERY hyped for it. As a Medic main, I'm definitely drawn to Mercy. But there's lots of others I'm interested in as well, including Tracer, Lucio, Torbjorn, Reinhardt, and Widowmaker. (I just want to Spider-Man everywhere with her grapple.)
Check out Pokegirls Epsilon!:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=923

Let no one tell you how to live! Define yourself by your own will! Be a storm unto yourself!
Darkness, Light, there is no difference. Stand tall, embrace both, and you can find the true path!
http://www.f-list.net/c/fanfic%20fetishist/
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

TBH, I seriously doubt OW will be able to outshine TF2, just as pretty much MMORPG out there hasn't managed to outshine WoW. Still, it looks quite promising, and if Blizz is smart enough to make enough hats available for everyone, then maybe, just maybe, they could come close to TF2.

Btw, I wonder who voices Tracer; just love how her voice sounds.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

That has not been revealed yet.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Observer
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Stranger
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Arachne and Scylla

Post by Observer »

I'm not sure if I want to pay €40 for it. I've already invested too much into TF2...

But yeah, the game looks pretty good.

Also, no hats here. Only skins. Other things you can buy: sprays, taunts and victory poses. Am I missing anything?
"I like to watch."
kukuruyo
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Evil Artist

Post by kukuruyo »

I love the designs, but i refuse to play a game where you have to pay each month AND it has microtransactions. For me that's a scam.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

It's not pay per month! It's one time fee of $40. Micro is of course optional as always. TF2 wasn't F2P either at first (Orange Box that I GLADLY paid for and never paid for those silly hats). And I do agree that TF2 and OW are different beasts. OW is going to cater to a wider audience than TF2 though when it comes to FPS though. I enjoyed TF2 for 7 years though, it's time for a change here.
kukuruyo
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Evil Artist

Post by kukuruyo »

um, i will have to give it a try then
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

They just released Tracer in Heroes of the Storm, everyone hates her and says she's overpowered. I wonder how she's going to play out in the game. Her kit is pretty unique. She can go back in time to the same hp and location where she was a few seconds ago. It's definitely broken in an MOBA environment in my opinion haha.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

The open beta is up for Overwatch right now till the 9th.

I totally thought of Flare when I saw this lady: http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Pharah

Oh this would be PIerce no doubt: http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/D.Va

Severontous: http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Widowmaker

Like I said there is a class for everyone! If you were wondering about Pyros, they were replaced with an ice gun that freeze people solid. Very strong tankers.

So far I'm liking the game a lot more than TF2. It's a fresh experience with a lot of competitive play. The game strongly encourages fast gameplay so no worries of boring turtling contests thanks to no CTF. No need to worry about people going 3 engineers/demomen/snipers/W+M1 Pyros etc. and waiting for one medic to get a good uber before you can do anything unlike in TF2. Best of all, no spies!! I don't miss their anti-fun play style. Games are 6v6 so every life counts, no one is disposable.

Anyways, try it for yourselves if you are looking for a new FPS.
Observer
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Stranger
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Arachne and Scylla

Post by Observer »

Feathers wrote:No need to worry about people going 3 engineers/demomen/snipers/W+M1 Pyros etc.
[youtube]eb86MCI7Lrk[/youtube][youtube]IAM8byYdAWo[/youtube]
Then you better hope you don't go up against Muselk. I just love to watch him try crazy-enough-to-work strategies on both Overwatch and TF2. Personally I was stunned that Torbjorn and Symmetra can place their turrets on the payload carts.

Seeing as how the open beta is available to download 'till May 9, I thought I might as well give it a go. There are the extra controls I have to keep in mind compared to TF2, but aside from that, what matches I did play were pretty fun, if a little fast. They were over before I knew it. There's no domination or humiliation which might please some people (such as myself - it's a nice change). (I'm going to have to see which graphic option will make the game less blurry)
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

I notice a lot of people, especially LoL players, are mistaking this for an FPS MOBA. It is hardly that. It's quite competitive once you learn the game. It does need some balancing, mostly on multiclassing as Obz pointed out, but I think that will be taken care of soon enough. :) TF2 had class limits, and that was a big step toward getting rid of static defense cheese.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Great game, it's eating up my days like a Dorito eating frenzy. It can be just as frustrating as fun though at times. My biggest gripe is hands down Reinhardt, the huge knight with a shield that has 1000s of health. It has to be one of the best anti-fun mechanics I've ever seen. Every hero is good in their own way, but nothing more annoys me than a giant suit of armor that just absorbs everyone's damage then knocks you prone if you actually make it to him.

It's not perfect yet, but I trust Blizzard will tweak things here and there. Heroes of the Storm was really frustrating at first as well, but they fixed it a lot then since.
Hizumi
Fool
Fool
Personal Title: Random "Dark" Writer
Favorite Monster Type: Vampire, Dragon, Manticore etc

Post by Hizumi »

It's probably my favorite Arena Shooter. I really enjoyed it while i played it, and just loved the flow of the game itself. Though im generally one to praise all of blizzards releases, and will often choose to just deal with it's issues. I feel that there isn't anything really wrong per say with the game. And im talking in terms of over all performance not so much the concept of certain character issues (which is all part of balancing, much as Feathers pointed out above). There doesn't seem to be too much. Though i know supposedly day one was hard as there was a few million trying to get in the game at the same time, leading to some issues. But blizzard is no stranger to that stuff. So i was sad that it still occurred.

Aside from that, when i played it, it was smooth, well done and just over all good. I played it both on PlayStation 4 and the PC. With my main on the PS4 being Tracer most of the time, and my PC being Widowmaker. It just came out to be a fun experience and a fun game. I liked it =) and i hope it does well and gets it's balance in gear for the things that need to be fixed =D
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Well, I played it yesterday on a friend's PC and I must say DAMN! You really outdid yourself Blizz! You're officially forgiven for ruining Diablo 3, and I do believe that, even if OW doesn't manage to outshine TF2, they'll probably be even matched.

And speaking of even matches, the following five pics will show why I had such an easy time finding OW classes that I could play as well as my TF2 Main 5...
Torbjorn engineer.jpeg
heal_for_love__free_wallpaper__by_darknessringogallery-d9m604a.jpg
c9ccb34a08a9563e632c0f26a8a611867f401684706fe3d78774cf3adca29a11_1.jpg
990.png
tumblr_o8bukhcUC51qf6ybwo1_500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

Lol, no sniper and widowmaker crossover yet?
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Oh, there are:

It's just that I merely posted those of my main five; I suck as Sniper, Soldier, Demo and Spy....
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

And NerfNOW! is also doing a psudo-TF2 crossover too with some of its girls as well.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Great stuff Blake, much LOLZ. Overwatch has official replaced my TF2. I could never go back. My main complaint is how they handled the rocket launcher. I don't like it at all. It just doesn't feel powerful or impactful at all.
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

Feathers wrote:Great stuff Blake, much LOLZ. Overwatch has official replaced my TF2. I could never go back. My main complaint is how they handled the rocket launcher. I don't like it at all. It just doesn't feel powerful or impactful at all.
Tell me about it, the rocket launcher in DOOM kills in two hits instead of one...