Senran Kagura Estival Versus Review [PS4/Vita]

Eight unforgettable days of drama, fun, and boobs

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

Senran Kagura Estival Versus Review [PS4/Vita]

Post by Pokemonaces »

Having played Senran Kagura for awhile now, I figured I'd review the latest in their series that released a few months ago called Estival Versus. And oh boy are the graphics, visuals, gameplay, and overall flair the series is now for got a serious upgrade because this game is awesome :happyness:

Because of that, I thought I should share my thoughts about the game and what it improved on and so forth. There are some spoilers ahead, which I'll highlight in red so you guys can choose not to read if you wish. So with nothing else to say, let's get going
Senran-Kagura.jpg
Intro

Estival Versus picks up from where it left off from Shinovi Versus (Which I did not play since I'm not spending $199 for a system just to play the game >_>). It picks up to two girls from the Hebijo squad named Ryobi and Ryona, who visit a grave to pay respects. But while doing so, overhear a ceremony taking place which sends spirits of past shinobi into peace by relieving them of their past regrets. Ryona and Ryobi then notice a spirit which they recognized as their older sister, rushing without thinking before being struck with a beam of light. When the light fades, they end up somewhere else and are attacked by rouge ninja's. After dispatching them, they run until they end up on the beach, where they find their sisters spirit, where they are told of 8 days that can never be forgotten.

Afterwards the intro that plays every time you start the game off from there plays, which is pretty nice visuals to be honest.

Gameplay
Senran-Kagura-Estival-Versus-121.jpg
Gameplay wise, Estival versus is the most polished and smoothest I have played yet. While frame rate drops occur, they don't happen as often and it really doesn't obstruct from the gameplay. Unlike the last two I've played which are both in a linear 2D plain, Estival versus is truly 3D movement, allowing characters free movement in every angle. Combo's and attacks feel satisfying to pull off, specially when you managed to snag in multiple enemies all at once and take them out in one fell swoop.

The way characters level up are divided into 3 ways besides just leveling up (The level cap is 50 as always), this system makes a comback from Burst known as the 'Yin, Yang, Flash' system or 'Flower of Balance'.

Flash: A mode when a character stays in their usual attire, possessing their normal move sets with no access to their special moves, but as Flash improves, it allows easier chaining of attacks an a significant improvement in EXP and Money gain, so this mode is more suited for leveling characters up quickly or gaining money.

Yang: A mode which the character uses their shinobi powers to transform into their combat uniform, usually matching the users personality and fighting style. This gives them improved attack and defensive parameters as well as more aerial capabilities.This also allows them to use their ninja arts which can deal devistating damage and/or deal AOE attacks for massive combo's.

Yin: A mode which the character...eh strips (Yes in a literal fashion) all defenses and relies on an all attack frenzy for massive damage. In this state, they're capable of chaining infinite combos on the ground and are also able to deal aerial raves at lesser times. While attack increases drastically as well as being able to use ninja arts, defenses are reduced to counterbalance the sudden shift in power, so be cautious as one mistake could be the last

Using all these modes in appropriate situations can change a battle to tide in your favor, so mix it up. Also by using these modes often, they level up in use as well giving more benefits like health regeneration or even higher damage, so use and switch them up often.

There's also some chapters in the game where you team up with an AI controlled ally, but honestly, these allies are almost always useless. The AI are even dumber than the ones in Deep Crimson since you can't even change to control them in turn, so instead, the only input you have is having them assist you when you're doing an aerial rave, that's it :^^;:

Game objectives are simple, either defeat an enemy group, and enemy boss. There are ones with time limits, but these are honestly easy. Difficulty of the game ranges from easy, medium, and hard, which only increases the amount of damage AI deal as well as their defenses. Obviously higher difficulty means higher EXP and Cash that can be spent on the in game shop. The game may seem tough at first, but it's very easy to level up.

There's also online multiplayer features into the game. Though since the game isn't so popular on the west, the online servers tend to be...desolate. But if you do get a chance to play online, there are 5 Modes (I think) online
maxresdefault.jpg
Online Deathmatch: Probably the most basic online feature, you go against other players from as much as 10 to as little as 2 online and duke it out. Pretty straight forward
maxresdefault (1).jpg
Point match: This mode is where you are against other players and aim to get a better score by eliminating more enemies that spawn in the game. You can also attack your rivals for additional points or to slow them
maxresdefault (2).jpg
Capture the Bra: It's exactly what it sounds like. You and other 4 will be against a team of other 5 players in a battle which you defeat spawned AI enemies to capture their bra's. The more you defeat, the more bra's you have on your flag and the stronger the character in possession of the flag gets.
SKSV_MP_02-23-15_002.jpg
Panty Collection: Similar to point mode, but instead you simply collect panties that rain from the sky, the player with the most wins, simple as that.
maxresdefault (3).jpg
Guard the Platform: This is where you and other 3 players defend a platform from enemies who are out to destroy it. Last as long as possible to get higher rankings.

Miss Shinobi Pagent
ChneEOzWkAARMap.jpg
The online mode has one more feature known as the "Miss Shinobi Pagent" In which you are able to pose your character in the Dressing room mode of the game. Once you pose your character to your desire, you can share it for the world to see if you into that kind of thing. I will say that some of the submissions online are surprisingly creative, others are just tasteless. They always post different themes each week, so check in often if you want to participate. Oh and I guess I skipped it here in the review but uh...
maxresdefault (4).jpg
The game has a mode offline called dressing room, as you can tell, it's basically a mode where you dress your character to your desire, giving them either DLC costumes you buy online or ones you bought at the store in the game itself, dressing them up, posing them, changing hair and clothing color, and even touching them in a not so discrete mode in the game where you can grope and slap their butts or breasts. These can result in rather interesting dialogue depending on the character you choose to molest. If you do it enough, a heart gauge on the top right will fill up and allow you to go in for the kill and kiss them. I will admit it's rather cute, specially with some characters. :blushing:

Graphics
SENRAN-KAGURA-ESTIVAL-VERSUS_20160311201859.jpg
Easily the most appealing of any of the series so far (On the PS4 obviously.) the graphics and frame rate are smooth, like silky smooth. With crisps images and nice detail with each character, it's hard not to ogle at them, but at the same time, the bodies they have are so similar, that if you switched the heads of the characters with another's body with a few exceptions, it wouldn't be noticeable at all, but it's about visual appeal, speaking off...

Music
Spoiler: show
[youtube]1KVCYI99aHA[/youtube]
There's a lot...and I mean a LOT of music in this game. Each character has their own theme song, not to mention the other tracks that play in the cut scenes, of course, numbers don't matter, it's the sound quality that matter, which luckily is not compensated by numbers since each score is carefully written and played. Needless to say I enjoy the music that plays in the game. Oh and about earlier, both graphics and musical appeal will be clearly present in this opening :nosebleed:

Verdict

Overall...I think this game should be given a shot, or hell just the series in general since while it is heavy o the fanservice, playing the game is so fun and surprisingly addictive that you'll often be ignoring the lewdness for gameplay. Replaybility is high, but online is rather void due to it being unpopular.

Gameplay: 8/10
Story: 6/10
Graphics: 9/10
Music: 8/10
Replay value: 7/10

Total: 7.5 /10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: Senran Kagura Estival Versus Review [PS4/Vita]

Post by Feathers »

I consider buying this one many times, but there was two needlessly giant factors that kept me disinterested. :( I don't mind people enjoying a fetish, but the game series is just TOO biased. :( Hyperdimension Neptunia is smart because they have different types of characters (physically and mentally lol) for everyone.

I'm very surprised you never reviewed Fire Emblem Fates.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

I'm very surprised you never reviewed Fire Emblem Fates.
That game doesn't deserve a review... After how they treated gamers the last thing they deserve is acknowledgement.

Anyway... Back to topic...

I don't own the game since I don't own neither PS4 or PSVita at the moment, but thankfully I was able to lay my hands on the game thanks to a friend that bought (collector's edition at that... with dakimakura pillowcase included) and I gotta say that the game is actually really addictive.
It leaves behind the more traditional beat'em up feel the 3DS titles had and approaches more a "musou" kind of feel (which for a few people is kind of a turn off...) but it has a really solid gameplay and the animations are smooth and run on 60 FPS (the PS4 version though).
Besides the OST is really good and you can get the themes the girls had on Shinovi Versus's OST which is one hell of a plus (Yumi's theme on Shinovi Versus was based on Dies Irae and had parts of it included).

It's a shame that this game lacks any kind of local multiplayer content since it would definitely help to extend its replayability/fun factor a lot...

Overall... It's a pretty nice surprise, since despite being your average ecchi game ended up becoming one the most solid and fun titles of its genre in PS4's catalogue so far.

.P.S.: Besides... It has Yumi, a game that has her as playable can't be bad...<3

I salute you, my adorable frozen angel.
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
SchwaWarrior
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Beautiful Life
Favorite Monster Type: Plant Mamono, esp. Alraune

Post by SchwaWarrior »

I bought this game a couple weeks back. I thought the fanservice was going to be pretty much the focal point and I got the game wanting a good laugh at something silly and fun.

What I did not expect was, about halfway into the main story, to be brought literally to my knees in tears, wailing. I'm serious, I haven't had a cry like that since Clannad. On the floor, screaming into my hands, crying, from how emotional the story had become. It was the last thing I possibly expected from a game like this, and it got me a lot more into it. I finished the game in a week, and it left me smiling and feeling great inside and out.

It's hard to pick a favorite girl, too! There's a selection of girls I don't like too much (i.e. the candy-lover Minori, or the gothic-lolita Mirai who uses a gun umbrella, they just rubbed me wrong somehow), but there's so many that I love that I can't pick one favorite. Asuka and her double wind-daggers feel cozy in my hands, Renka and her taiko drums and her amazing attitude get me really fired up, Murasaki the quiet shut-in girl has her dramatic ninja arts where she goes from her normal, barely-whispered voice to BELLOWING CRIES at the top of her lungs while blowing hundreds of enemies away... Everyone feels really fun to play, save for a select few (the slower girls who rely on charged-up power hits were frustrating to use, but I could see some others might prefer those types).

Over all I'm pretty glad I bought the game! There's one problem though, after beating everything in the game there's nothing really left to do except the online stuff. I mean I guess I could replay everything on Hard, but it doesn't really feel worth it to do that. I like a lot of replayability in games, and this one doesn't have much of it. Other than that, yes, fantastic game.
--Schwa
"Love what is, don't hate what isn't."

I want to love Monster Girls forever, and coexist in a beautiful demon-realm earth without war or judgement.
I will spread warmth and cheer, celebrating the fulfilling pleasure of human/monster coitus, marriage and life.
I will support my beloved Demon Lord and work to make Her dream real-- Her dream is my dream.
This is my manifesto! Cheers to a future filled with love!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Wow so it actually had a touching story? I'm a little more interested now.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Scrapmaster »

:|

Well.

The combat seems alright, its no masterpiece, but its pretty good for an anime game, I guess. I like a bit of the soundtrack but I find it...a bit bland at times. But I digress.

You seem to have plenty of time to review but not to post in great alia- *shot.
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Man, I'm just glad he actually still drops by to post lol.

In general, the new "anime" games of late haven't been that great. I find myself getting hooked more on American games lately. :(
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Post by DogKama »

Feathers wrote:Man, I'm just glad he actually still drops by to post lol.

In general, the new "anime" games of late haven't been that great. I find myself getting hooked more on American games lately. :(
If anything the new OdinSpere game and Grand Kingdom look really good.

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!