Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by DogKama »

Feathers wrote:That's all? Nothing notable making it fun? Hard to know. Did you get the Wii U version?
I don't want to say much to avoid spoilers plus I've only played about 2 hours so far. No, I got the Switch version.

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Okay I'll wait till you beat it / play more and ask again. I love a lot of games for 2 hours. ^.^
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Feathers wrote:Okay I'll wait till you beat it / play more and ask again. I love a lot of games for 2 hours. ^.^
Played more of it and it really does take me back to when I first played Fallout 3. The world is so beautiful and alive it's like playing painting, in fact the art style gives me a feeling of those 1980's fantasy animated movies like The Hobbit, Flight of the Dragons, and The Last Unicorn.

I'm still just exploring and thats what I love most about it, is that I really do have that feeling of being on a grand adventure. I don't go to certain places because I know I'm no where near ready and the thought of having to spend all this time gearing up for it is exciting.

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

That sounds pretty nice. Is there story quests at least though? Or is it all just roaming and treasure hunting? I'd Google but I'm certain to see spoilers so easier to ask you hehe. It's too bad they don't discount the Wii U version as $50 like Sony does with their PS3/4 games. Kind of crooked that they charge the same exact amount for an "inferior" version of the game..
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Feathers wrote:That sounds pretty nice. Is there story quests at least though? Or is it all just roaming and treasure hunting? I'd Google but I'm certain to see spoilers so easier to ask you hehe. It's too bad they don't discount the Wii U version as $50 like Sony does with their PS3/4 games. Kind of crooked that they charge the same exact amount for an "inferior" version of the game..
There is a story quest line along with side quests you'll discover as you roam around. I've only finished three or so but they were mostly 'go here and talk to so&so' but you have one that just looms over you which is to defeat Ganon. You'll be browsing your quest log and that quest will still be there on the very top as if to remind you of your duty.

Also I do agree with you on the pricing but I have to go with the argument if you own a wiiu than the game is a normal priced game. Still, you're right.

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Pokemonaces
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Friendly Global Moderator
Personal Title: Carefree Incubus.
Favorite Monster Type: Arumaeruma, Bubble slime

Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Review for Switch]

Post by Pokemonaces »

After a solid 50+ hours of gametime, I can honestly say that The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, it's just that, a literal fresh breath of air thanks to it's bold, yet successful approach to new mechanics. Here's my honest and Totally not Biased review :XD: of the game
legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-title.jpeg
Story
Story.jpg
There are some minor spoilers here so here goes

Without mentioning too much about story, it starts off with Link, waking up from a long stasis after a disaster occurred over a hundred years ago. Being in stasis for so long, Link had forgotten most of past events, so along with going with the current story, you're obligated to recover remnants of memory as you play the game.

The actual length of the story is actually pretty short, but the detail itself in each part of the story are well placed, and bits and pieces of memories you recover shed a light of what has transpired a hundred years ago.

Alongside the story are sidequest as well as shrinequest which have you either solving problems for other NPC's of the game, or solving shrines, which by the way, are area's scattered all over the massive map for link to overcome, rewarding him with spirit orbs which can be later used to either expand his stamina wheel (a Mechanic that was first introduced in Skyward sword.) or a heart piece.

Dungeons also work differently. Taking note from Shadow of the Colossus, the new dungeons consist of 4 Divine Beast, which in the games lore are ancient automatons used to combat "Calamity Ganon" Over 100 years ago, or so they were intended too until Ganon used it against them and turned them against the Champions.

The Champions are basically four chosen heroes to pilot the Divine Beast. Each from a different race.

Rudania, the guardian of the gorons, which is piloted by the Goron Champion Daruk
Gecko.jpg
Naboris. The guardian of the Gerudo, piloted by Urbosa
Camel.jpg
Medoh, The guardian of the Rito, piloted by Revali
Bird.jpg
Ruta, The guardian of the Zora, piloted by Mipha
Elephant.jpg
Each one act as a dungeon. Without spoiling much, the dungeons are pretty short, but the puzzles in them are well thought out.

One of the only few things to note about this game that makes it different from the main staple series...you don't have to complete prior main missions in the game to beat it. If you felt suicidal, you can literally just jump straight to the final boss if you really feel inclined to do so, not that I'd recommend it or even attempt to try it.

Gameplay
Gameplay.jpg
Embracing a new concept, Breath of the wild deviates from the standard legend of Zelda format by being an open, on your own pace kind of world. All the items you get in the game can be obtained right from the start with some effort. Dungeons for instance dont give you the convenient items needed to beat the boss, rather you gather materials outside of the dungeon to beat them with.

There are Five main weapons you can use in the game with additional abilities you get around the start of the game.

You can get a one handed sword. A Shield to go along with said sword. A brodsword/axe weapons which are heavier and deal more damage. And Spears which have long reach.

The games massive world gives you plenty to do and many places to explore. With some games with a big ass map, there aren't a whole lot to do in said maps, but in breath of the wild, there are secrets, resources, enemies, weapons, items, and much more. With that size in mind, horses are actually free grazing in this game, as well as wild animals to kill for meat, plants to harvest, etc.

Each unique area's of the game affect link in ways, such as freezing climates that do damage unless you create fire to warm yourself up or wear warm armor, or places with extreme heat that ignite wooden weapons and so forth. Even a noise meter is implemented for certain scenarios of the game that require stealth.

Hearts and Rupees are a surprisingly hard commodity to come by on their own, rather you gather materials from the world and enemies to either eat them, cook them, or sell them for hearts/rupees

Graphics
Graphics.jpg
In terms of graphical performance, both WIIU and Switch version have similar resolution rates which is greatly explained on the video below.

[youtube]uYofouY9smw[/youtube]

Framerates issues do occur, specially when multiple actions take place. The Framerate drops happen more often (Oddly enough) When the Switch is docked, but I'm sure it's because the game has to compensate for the extra pixels it has to generate on the screen, hence the frame drop. When playing in portable mode, the framerates don't happen nearly as often, but they're still there.

Regardless of the frame issues, the games level designs and attention to detail make it a pretty game to look at

Music

[youtube]oC84xDccaos[/youtube]

Music isn't actually such a big focus in this game considering it's an open world, a lot of backround music is very silent, and most of the music is done by piano. Regardless, the tracks that are there are beautifully played.

Overall

All negative things I can say about the game at this point is just the gratuitous grind, the occasional frame rate drops, and NOT being able to drop the game down XD

A definitive start for the Switch (Assuming you have one). Breath of the Wild is a great...no...a must have for the switch should you decide to get it. Having it on the WIIU isn't really going to make much of a difference aside from the fact you can play the game on the go. It different and deviates from the legend of zelda formula, but in a good way. And it actually has good voice acting, least in my opinion ^_^

Story: 7/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics 6/10
Music: 7/10

Overall: 7.25/10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Humans are the very reason our existence is relevant. Without them, gods have no meaning. We have no right to tell them what's right and wrong, for only they're their own masters..."

Quoted by an idealistic fool
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

So overall average huh, that sounds pretty much what I thought based on what I've seen. It's kind of sad that the best part of the game is the hacking and slashing. As much as I like hitting stuff, I like some rich story and active character development in my games. Time travel...Midna..ah the good old days.

It sounds like Ys with good graphics, with an annoying weapon durability system. My biggest gripe though, is the lack of a companion. And nah, I don't count the "DLC" wolf (which I did buy because Midna is ♥), it was very enjoyable to have a partner to help progress the story along and provide interesting info. That isn't here, and the story sounds like it's all history..

Think I'll pass on it. Persona 5 is more looking for me. Thanks for the review, I was waiting on yours to be honest. Don't know a bigger Ninfan then you hehe...
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Feathers wrote:So overall average huh, that sounds pretty much what I thought based on what I've seen. It's kind of sad that the best part of the game is the hacking and slashing. As much as I like hitting stuff, I like some rich story and active character development in my games. Time travel...Midna..ah the good old days.

It sounds like Ys with good graphics, with an annoying weapon durability system. My biggest gripe though, is the lack of a companion. And nah, I don't count the "DLC" wolf (which I did buy because Midna is ♥), it was very enjoyable to have a partner to help progress the story along and provide interesting info. That isn't here, and the story sounds like it's all history..

Think I'll pass on it. Persona 5 is more looking for me. Thanks for the review, I was waiting on yours to be honest. Don't know a bigger Ninfan then you hehe...
If you can get it on sale(LOL yea right XD) Its worth playing. Granted the story is bare bones but I'm enjoying the expansiveness of it; SKyrim never clicked with me but this game does. If anything, look at Breath of the Wild as GTA4 where it was good but nothing like the previous entries and than suddenly BAM GTA5.

I'm excited to see what the next Zelda game is like.