System Shock Remaster

Of all the returning legends....

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

System Shock Remaster

Post by Blake81 »

I just got this from my GOG Newsletter:

SYSTEM SHOCK IS GETTING REMASTERED!!

I usually go into great lengths to describe a game, but man... THIS IS SYSTEM SHOCK! The Half-Life before Half-Life! The game that brought TRUE 3D to gaming! The game that inspired the great masterpieces that are Deus Ex, Dead Space and Bioshock!

And if that alone isn't enough to give you the rock-hard HYPE boner that can crush diamonds, then this will:
IT COMES WITH A FUKKEN FREE DEMO!!

You can get it on Steam, GOG, Humble, or you could just watch the Mighty Jimquisitor play it here. (Needless to say, he's as hyped as fuck).

[youtube]Y3tbldMoQXA[/youtube]

Anyway, Hype aside, I must say I'm really impressed these guys have managed to make over 500K$ in just ONE DAY with the MN9 fiasco so fresh in everybody's minds. I guess that's the power of a Demo as solid as this one.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: System Shock Remaster

Post by Feathers »

Everything Old is New Again. Simply hilarious. What's going on, people can't think of what to do anymore? First Half Life, now this. I heard the Blizzard games are going to be remade as well. It looks like a glorified mod so far.

I can't deny that the game looks beautiful though, but that hideous loot interface needs to GO. Heh I recognize that level. I didn't get very far in the game because it felt like a cheap Dead Space. Yeah, I played it AFTER Dead Space, so it was hard. If this game fixes player build options, it could work though. The old game build options were very unbalanced and terribly explained.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Flare »

It's like a friend of mine said: "Independence Day is in theaters, Cleveland's got winning teams, there's a Clinton running for president, and now Crystal Pepsi is returning... when did we go back to the 1990s?"
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Feathers wrote:Everything Old is New Again. Simply hilarious. What's going on, people can't think of what to do anymore? First Half Life, now this. I heard the Blizzard games are going to be remade as well. It looks like a glorified mod so far.
:nerd: *Uryu Mode ON* :nerd:

It's because we've hit the ''Retro-Modern Period''; that time in history where young people start to get tired of modernity, and instead look to those weird old days their grandpas lived on and feel more attracted to that era and their current one, so they try to bring the past into the future. On previous periods, it had been only music and fashion, but as games are part of culture today, they, too, are brought back, renewed and improved for a new generation. And even if at its core it doesn't really create anything new, it allows for bits of the past to be preserved for the future.

:nerd: *Uryu Mode OFF* :nerd:

And yeah, it still looks like a well-made mod so far, but keep in mind this is just a free Pre-Alpha; a more beta than beta. It'll still need a very good polish to stand on its own.
Feathers wrote:I can't deny that the game looks beautiful though, but that hideous loot interface needs to GO. Heh I recognize that level. I didn't get very far in the game because it felt like a cheap Dead Space. Yeah, I played it AFTER Dead Space, so it was hard. If this game fixes player build options, it could work though. The old game build options were very unbalanced and terribly explained.
Well, the HUD and interface is one of the things that will be reworked. Thankfully, as the inventory system was one of the worst parts of the original SS.

As a whole, I'm not sure if I'll fund it or not. Not because it's bad, but because it seems my rig won't be able to handle it, so I'll hold myself from paying for a game I won't be able to run until I'm certain I can.

Another thing's that rather noteworthy is that it's being made entirely with Unity. The Jimquisitor was quite amused by this; saying how clear was the difference between a well-made Unity game and those shabby cash-grabs made using stock assets that some unethical indies are using as cash grabs.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Yeah it would be great if someone did Unity some justice. Like RPG Maker, it gets a bad rap because of lazy devs. Jimquisition seems mostly be upset about asset cohesion (the assets don't make sense to be put together) more than the fact they are bought though. When you see games like Tantrum and that other mess from Digital Suicide, it's hard to trust the engine. If I could actually AFFORD a bunch of sprite assets for RPG Maker, I'm sure I could put together a pretty nice game.