Video Game Recommendations

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
kukuruyo
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Evil Artist
Favorite Monster Type: None

Re: Video Game Recommendations

Post by kukuruyo »

I recently bought Bound by Flame on steam deals, and it's the fucking GoTy for me, it's similar to Dragon age/Dark souls but far better, and you can play as a Demoness XD

Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Bound by Flame looks pretty damn interesting, I wonder why the reviews bombed so hard though? I can't find much info on this game (so far).
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Post by DogKama »

Just bought Wasteland 2 and I can't wait to play it. I think I'm going to do a small video series on this to show everyone how the game plays.

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Scrapmaster »

Got destiny, its amazing with friends and a clan, Just so much fun praising the sun as a sunsinger throwing grenades at fools.

Am I the only one here who awaits bloodborne with all my being?
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Yeah, Bloodbourne DOES look pretty awesome.

Hmm, I'd recommend Chain Chronicle for the mobile gamers out there (it's on iTunes too).
prophet
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: pilgrim
Favorite Monster Type: draconian,lamia types,elf,

Post by prophet »

Scrapmaster wrote:Got destiny, its amazing with friends and a clan, Just so much fun praising the sun as a sunsinger throwing grenades at fools.

Am I the only one here who awaits bloodborne with all my being?
while that is fun, embracing the void and throwing a mini black-hole at the fools that cluster together in "safety" as a voidwalker is even funnier (when you have "bloom" activated)

also if want to re-play something classic DMC3 especial edition is always a good option, but please wait for someone really capable to translate FF Type 0
"you do realize don't you?, everyone speaks about justice and equity, but you will never hear them speak of balance or order. Why? because they are afraid that they will have to answer for their actions, good and bad"
Passing Traveler
Love4all
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Nature lover and Empath
Favorite Monster Type: Dryads, Nagas, Slimes, etc.

Post by Love4all »

For all you anime fans and people that like to battle monsters and use magic cards and elements and such, I highly recommend the following game. It's pretty fun when you get it down and I've always loved it. In fact I think something like this could very well fit amongst our treasured gallery of monster involved games/animes. Those of course being games/manga/etc for MGE, Felarya, MGU, MG Quest, Battle Mamano, and so on and so forth.

But that's just my opinion. IDK, perhaps you can have a gander for yourself and decide. Personally, I think it's quite interesting.
It's called "Arcana" and I believe it's for Nintendo 64 if I'm not mistaken. You can learn a little more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcana_(video_game)

I've also posted a Youtube link to a "Let's Play" for it by a youtuber user named aulddragon. It's a 16 part "Let's Play", but you can get a pretty good idea of what's what. Go ahead and take a look if you're interested. See if you like it. :)

The plot basically involves a young card master named rooks having to go on a journey, and battle monsters and meet up with old and new friends on the way to the Queen of the monsters who has devastated the whole land and taken many lives. Rooks is the only hope to smite the evil and wield the one weapon that can defeat her. Along the way he is accompanied by a young elven warrior named Darwin and 2 long lost Princesses named Teefa and Sala who join him in his battles against the evil.

It's a really good plotline overall and the ending is awesome when you win. It takes a while to get yourself built up enough level wise, Mp, Hp and all that enough to defeat the queen, Rimsala at the end. All the same though, it's pretty rewarding and the music for the game is pretty good too.

MGU's battle sequences actually kinda remind me a little of the battle sequences in Arcana to a degree. Overall though, an awesome game. If you love MGU and all those other related games, chances are you'd love this one too. ;)
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Wow, Arcana! I played an old game with the same name before.

[youtube]5f5sY65DWps[/youtube]

On topic though, card games are one of the few genres I couldn't get into.

That game does sound pretty deep and I bet it did set a foundation for a lot of games today, but I'm done with ancient games myself. Did you mean MGQ?
Love4all
Magician
Magician

Post by Love4all »

No, it's a different one. It's got a Card motif theme to it but plays a lot like an rpg kinda like MG Unlimited is. But this is one of those old time rpg types. It's pretty hard at first, but when you figure out what's what and where, you know what to expect and can prepare for it. Apparently because of it being otherwise difficult, it's said mostly die hard rpg fans would like it.

I grew up with it, so that's how I know it. I used to watch my mom play it. It takes a while to get through, but once you get everything down, it can be quite fun. Did you check out the links? It seems like the kinda thing the people here might enjoy if they got to know it. But that might be just me.

The Wikipedia page only says so much though. The Let's Play is definitely a first hand look at what to expect and how to play. I've also played it a few times and could give some pointers if anyone manages to get a hold of it to play and ends up stuck in one of the harder areas. ;)

It is an older game though, so I'm not sure if it can still be found. Probably if one looked in the right places. As I mentioned before, it's for Nintendo NES (I had thought it was 64; my mistake) or Super Nintendo as it's also known..
It came out in 1992. So, I was 2 years old around the time it came out. So, yeah. Me and this game go way back. :)

Pretty good game when you give it a chance and learn the tricks so you don't keep getting killed.
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

Arcana's a SNES game. I know this because I have it currently. If you haven't played it, it's a fun dungeon crawler of sorts (you get weapons and equipment in town, but the vast majority of the game is dungeon-crawling). It introduced the *supposedly best friend is plotting against you* (Ariel's a scumbag, and yes, Ariel is male here). I wouldn't say it's for die-hard RPGs only, but casual fans might be discouraged because it can be quite hard. (However, in 1992 the save issue was kind of common...)

I think the biggest problem was the *oh geez here's the boss* and that some of the bosses hit HARD. I haven't actually beaten the game because Rimsala always beats me (her super-powerful attack which is supposed to be rare she always seems to use...) but I enjoy the elemental themes, the music, and art style. Worth a look for RPG fans!
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Well now, that's a name that brings back memories. I played it once maaaaany years ago on my trusty SNES Emu. But sadly, he NINTENDO HARD turned me away (lost a bit too much....).

Still, I had almost forgotten about it by now. Maybe I should pick it up again and see if I can handle it.

That said, since we're talking about SNES games, mayhap I should recommend this one which I found just a handful of years ago that probably some of you know already.

Meta Max Returns
It's called ''Returns'' because it's a SNES Remaster of a much older game (NES era, I think.), not because it has a prequel.

Story:

Set in a faraway post-apocalyptic future (Think Fallout, but with robots instead of nukes) where mankind has managed to survive in the same way they always do in this kind of setting; around and among the remaining ruins and scavenging for survival (Not quite, as food and water do not seem scarce at all...). However, the whole world is ridden with mutant monsters and robots, and those who make their living out of hunting them make so using one particular kind of technology; Tanks (which includes pretty much any vehicle, actually. Including a Buggy and an Ambulance) and a lot of the world spins around supplying the hunters with parts and ammo.

The protagonist (You name him) is the son of a tank mechanic who wanted to become a monster hunter and was disowned because of said dreams.... and that's all you get for backstory. Which is perhaps one of the things that make this game one of the most unique SNES titles I've ever played.

Despite the fact it shares many things in the style of FF games (Turn-based combat, grindfests, cool soundtracks, etc), it has two things that make it stand out from all the FF clones out there.

First, it's a Sandbox game. At first there's a minimum of linear progression (which involves getting your first tank and a couple mandatory bosses) but after that, you can go straight to the Final Boss if you want (Of course, if you're strong enough to not get pwned by all the strong critters there) and even after you beat the Final Boss (and learn some more of the game's backstory) you CAN KEEP PLAYING ALL YOU WANT. The only way to truly end the game is to go back to the first town and tell your Dad you're gonna quit being a monster hunter, which leads us to the second thing....

It's OPEN ENDED; depending on how many sidequests you did, how many Bounties (read: Optional Bosses, most of them Rare Random Encounter Bosses) you fulfilled, how many tanks you got, how strong is your party (There are 3 playable characters: The Driver (Protagonist), The Mechanic and the (female) Soldier. Each of them randomly named and with their own unique traits and strengths. Neither has much of a backstory or much dialogue at all...) and many other things, you get a specific ending.

Hence, he main thrill of the game is basically exploration and combat; there's virtually no story or whatsoever, but the game makes up for it with a lot of quests (many of them quite challenging), epic bosses and a lot of places to explore with lots of unique loot.

So, if you're like me and would love to spend quite a bit of time exploring an amazing post-apoc world on board your highly-customized epic tank, then I strongly recommend you this RPG. You're gonna love it.

That aside, this game is, as far as I know, the OLDEST Open Sandbox RPG I've ever played and I dare say one of the pioneers of the genre. Sadly, only MMR has been translated; it's sequels, which are known as the ''Metal Saga'' remain completely untranslated (including both its 2nd part on SNES, it's PS2 sequels and it's NDS Remaster), which makes this whole series as one of those forgotten gems of the classic era. And since the company who made them, Data East, went broke years ago, there'll probably never be an official translation of them (and my infinite thanks to the good guys at Aeon Genesis Translation for translating MMR).

Hope you guys enjoy this little masterpiece as much as I did.
Love4all
Magician
Magician

Post by Love4all »

musical74 wrote: I wouldn't say it's for die-hard RPGs only, but casual fans might be discouraged because it can be quite hard. (However, in 1992 the save issue was kind of common...)

I think the biggest problem was the *oh geez here's the boss* and that some of the bosses hit HARD. I haven't actually beaten the game because Rimsala always beats me (her super-powerful attack which is supposed to be rare she always seems to use...) but I enjoy the elemental themes, the music, and art style. Worth a look for RPG fans!
That's true, the save areas are restricted only to the towns within the Inn. So, that can be a problem if you're stuck somewhere and can't get back to town in time. In retrospect, "Return Rings" are very helpful. Best to have a few in case of emergencies; since they teleport you back to town instantly.
Blake81 wrote:Well now, that's a name that brings back memories. I played it once maaaaany years ago on my trusty SNES Emu. But sadly, he NINTENDO HARD turned me away (lost a bit too much....).

Still, I had almost forgotten about it by now. Maybe I should pick it up again and see if I can handle it.
It is pretty difficult for sure. But my mom and I have beaten it for sure. She found a little trick to beating it.

The key trick is to try to build the characters up as high as you can manage regarding endurance, strength, agility, intelligence, Mp and HP. Keep going back and getting more items and wait around and fight more. Best to do the waiting around closer to the entrance of one of the forest or dungeon, or tunnel or where ever you happen to be when you leave town, so you can hightail it back to town if need be quick. It doesn't hurt to try and build yourself up level wise either. Aside from everything else, an especially high level can help too.

The more you keep going back and building them up, before moving on to the major fights, all the stronger they will be, especially Rooks when it comes time to defeat Rimsala.

This actually is a pretty good game, as long as you know what's what and you can prepare for it. Such as what is the best armor, weapon, etc for each person, trying to increase the endurance, agility, intelligence, Strength, Mp and what not as high as you can manage. And definitely knowing what elements works best against another.

Something to remember with the elements for this game:
Fire hurts Wind and Earth.
Wind hurts Earth.
Earth hurts water.
Water obviously hurts Fire.
And Wind and Water, hurt each other....if I remember correctly.
Grey borders means a non-elemental.

A couple more things to keep in mind. It is best not to rely on the Call amulet if at all because it can backfire often.

Aside from stocking up on the 4 elemental cars; Stock up on plenty of fog cards. They are essential when facing the monsters on the nastier floors like the skeletons, the undead, the ghosts and whatnot. Because those things are tough to kill and they will often kill you.

But if you use a fog card, when retreat is not possible; you can escape and bypass having to fight them.

So yes, fog cards are extremely useful. But definitely one of the key things to remember is to keep going back to get more items, experience and the like to build them up. It may take a long time, but it pays off.

Using this strategy before moving onto the Major conflict scenes is definitely the best action.

Getting a few "Return Rings" for in case of emergency, doesn't hurt either.

Remember: The more you build the character up and make them stronger, all the easier this otherwise incredibly hard game will be to beat.

And definitely search everywhere in the tunnels and halls and whatnot and complete the maps, so you know where the heck to go and be careful to determine where the bosses might show up. Otherwise they are gonna take you by surprise and you might not be prepared yet.

Evidently, when you're first starting out, expect to die a few times. But try to take note where the surprise boss attack pops up when you are still unprepared. Once you have a good guess where it shows up, refrain from going far enough to reach that spot. Stick around a bit and fight a few battles before moving forward. It's best to prepare yourself after all.

As, I said, using this strategy/technique can take a LOT longer, but patience pays off. In the end you get stronger characters that can better handle the tougher battles. And if you build especially Rooks up real high, he can most certainly beat Rimsala. She'll still be a pain in the ass admittedly, but you have a better chance at beating her.
And best to have plenty of restoration items on hand just in case. Gold and Silver flasks, "sleeping bags", "tents", medicine, herbs, etc. So you can heal yourself if you're getting low on MP.

One more tidbit to remember. If any of the characters in your party, with the exception of the elementals, die it's a definite game over because they are essential to the plot and you need them to get through to the end. So, definitely get them good stuff to use and try to build them up to take attacks better. A dead elemental can be "resurrected" , but the people can't.

So, yeah. I hope that's helpful if you are struggling. Otherwise, I can still give you more info. ;)
Love4all
Magician
Magician

Post by Love4all »

Sorry to double post...but did someone try to edit my other post before? I had been in the middle of editing it myself at the time, so I'm not sure what's up.
Did I miss something?
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Yeah I spent a lot of time playing 1000s of unbeatable games on the C64 as a kid (my father was a master pirate in his youth and had huge boxes of diskettes filled with games), so I'm done with them. Most C64 games were on the NES too, so I didn't use the his NES much. If you want a real "retro" experience, try playing on C64, LOL.

I mostly play JRPGs these days (because I've pretty much see it all when it comes to gameplay mechanics) and stick to storyline, with the occasional triple A game like Fallout 4! Time constraints also usually cause my backlog to increase as well. :(
Katsoro
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Baby Monkey
Favorite Monster Type: Orc,Nightmare,KitsunHolstaurus

Post by Katsoro »

I've been playing Violated Heroine lately and for the total pervert with some time to kill it's pretty good, if unfinished and not totally translated yet...

Also @kukuruyo are you talking a sexy Demoness or a hideous/completely human looking one? Because I've been searching for a game where you can play as a Demoness/Succubus that's not just some taxed based thing and more or less given up (Modded Oblivion/Skyrim dose not count).
"The smiles and laughter of his readers are the greatest rewords of a writer."__Me

So go read Battle Mage and comment on it Q.Q