Video Game Recommendations

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Rezeed
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Data Spirit
Personal Title: Dream Traveller
Favorite Monster Type: N/A

Video Game Recommendations

Post by Rezeed »

Feel free to recommend your favorite video games.

Thread rules:
1. You are free to recommend whatever you want as long it's a video game.
2. Any era is valid.
3. You are free to discuss about the your favorite games.
4a. You can request a recommendation.
4b. You have to either mention the kind of game you like or mention what kind of game you are in the mood for,
5. Try not to give spoilers unless you have them in a spoiler.
6. Please supply your own summary of the games you recommend and explain the plot/premise.
7. You are free to gameplay clips from these video games, but don't go overboard.
Click the Image to be drawn into a world of Fantasy, Science, Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, and Endless Wonder.
Ex321
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: The Experiment
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia(s)

Re: Video Game Recommendations

Post by Ex321 »

My personal favourite video game for the playstation 2; Shining Force EXA!
A broken little beat-em-up RPG with horrible voice acting and basic plot and I love every minute of it :D The basic plot is that you are either Toma, a no lander agile warrior/hunter or Cyrille, a book using magic wielder (no, I'm serious, her melee attack is HER BOOK :D) as they search for the holy sword Shining Force while the world around them is in war and turmoil. (That's in a nut shell, there's a LOT more to it... Typical JRPG's, amiright? XD) While most people hate the game, I find a certain charm to it that makes it fun and stand out from most RPG games. Check the trailer here:
Is it alright to put several recommendations on one post or make them separate and wait for others to post?
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

If you are into semi realistic First person shooter, try out Metro 2033. It is based on a novel in Russia with the same name called Metro 2033 too. Atmosphere of the game is good, the story are well written. Gunfight is smooth.

Also, if you are into Fps and also freedom of Skyrim. Try out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as well. It is also in Russia with long of quest and free roaming, by roaming outside in night is scary too.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

If you're interested in a softcore RPG with tons of charm, cuteness, and secrets. That would be Paper Mario for N64. I recently beat it myself. So glad I did.
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Post by DogKama »

I still dont understand why no one doesn't really like OKami! That was one of my most favorite games ever made!

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

DogKama wrote:I still dont understand why no one doesn't really like OKami! That was one of my most favorite games ever made!
I like it. I think I'm about halfway through.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

If you're looking for a very challenging 3rd person dungeon crawler Action RPG, with a deep plot, a mind-blowing story line, and a decent level of fantasy horror, try Vagrant Story for the PSX. Made by the very same team that made all the Ivalice games (FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, FFXII), with amazing graphics(detailed facial expression in the PSX era? Only in VS), an astounding soundtrack and dozens of gameplay hourse(84 Hours to complete it myself.).

However, if you want survival horror RPG, with RE-style puzzles, with a twisting plot filled lots of mystery and conspiration, try Koudelka for the PSX. Prequel of the well-know Shadow Hearts series for PS2, this game takes you back to the events of the Nementon Monastery, allowing you to understand what led to the events of SH. This survival game will give you quite a challenge, and not everything is a simple as getting thru the puzzles and killing the final boss; if you don do everything right and take the right route when you have to, then it will be Bad End.
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

I am about to find out how many fighting genre players are here rather soon...

Crucis Fatal Fake v1.22, is a 3D doujin fighting game made by "light" based off the Visual Novel Fate/Stay Night; containing characters also from Heavens Feel and Hollow Ataraxia, but not Zero.

In a nutshell Fate is an action/tragedy created by Type-Moon set place in the Nasuverse (like Tsukihime).

The fighting system is 2v2 assist/switch.

And that is as spoiler free as it gets.

The only negative side; if it is a issue for anyone, is that there is no english patch.

Other than that it has low demands in term of system performance, well done visuals in spite of the low demands, an ok soundtrack and one way or another a must try if you are a fan of the Nasuverse.

I am actually looking for players as well.
It's PC only btw.
Last edited by Severontous on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

You can't go wrong with Earthbound. I'm just about done with that game and could recommend it for days.

I think the Happy Videogame Nerd said it best when he said "Earthbound is simply one of the greatest games ever made."
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

(there needs to be a like button for some of these posts!)

Dunno what the going rate is for Earthbound now, I snatched my copy up at a secondhand store for $70 a few years ago and thought *WELL worth it!* Graphics are so-so but the fun factor is through the roof!

Another SNES game that is worth it is Breath of Fire. The story's pretty cliche (hero-warrior rises up to defeat the bad guys) but there's a lot of little things that make the game fun. You get a small bonus for winning a fight in one round, there's lots of things that have a use in battle (the E key gets abused a lot!) a few surprises for opponents, and rewards for going back to old places when you have new members (you need Karn to open locks, and Ox to bash walls, and some earlier places have *this door is locked* or walls). Probably the biggest downside is *there's 8 playable characters, but only 4 fight at a time* but it's still fun. Breath of Fire 3 for the PS1 was another good one =) (but then, I love RPGs)
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

musical74 wrote:(there needs to be a like button for some of these posts!)

Dunno what the going rate is for Earthbound now, I snatched my copy up at a secondhand store for $70 a few years ago and thought *WELL worth it!* Graphics are so-so but the fun factor is through the roof!

Another SNES game that is worth it is Breath of Fire. The story's pretty cliche (hero-warrior rises up to defeat the bad guys) but there's a lot of little things that make the game fun. You get a small bonus for winning a fight in one round, there's lots of things that have a use in battle (the E key gets abused a lot!) a few surprises for opponents, and rewards for going back to old places when you have new members (you need Karn to open locks, and Ox to bash walls, and some earlier places have *this door is locked* or walls). Probably the biggest downside is *there's 8 playable characters, but only 4 fight at a time* but it's still fun. Breath of Fire 3 for the PS1 was another good one =) (but then, I love RPGs)
Breath of fire 3 I own for Psp and love it. IT has a certain charm that i just love. Also I've yet to play it but Thousand Arms seems like a possible game worth checking out. THough its expensive for a ps1 copy i figured a rom would be just as good to give it a try.

Falconjudge
Magician
Magician
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Falconjudge »

I always have to recommend Minecraft. One of the best games made in the last few years... it's an adventure, you can get creative, there's online play...

Also Monster Hunter and its sequels. I know they aren't as popular here in the west... and that just grinds my gears.
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Falconjudge wrote:I always have to recommend Minecraft. One of the best games made in the last few years... it's an adventure, you can get creative, there's online play...

Also Monster Hunter and its sequels. I know they aren't as popular here in the west... and that just grinds my gears.
Hey! Glad to see you found our other site. May i ask how you did? And 3 rd portable is really fun as well!

Falconjudge
Magician
Magician
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Falconjudge »

Well, you do have a link to it in the Dos and Don'ts. I like this site better.

Also, have they released Portable 3rd here in America yet?
DogKama
Moon
Moon

Post by DogKama »

Falconjudge wrote:Well, you do have a link to it in the Dos and Don'ts. I like this site better.

Also, have they released Portable 3rd here in America yet?
Nope, I got my from a hack... i was told they finally released an almost English version.

Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Since this is a recommendations thread, I'd like to ask for something instead. Could anyone here reccomend me a nice Fallout/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-esque game for PC?

An FPS(3rd Person is fine too) with RPG elements and a large world to explore. I've been craving for another of those after I got bored of Skyrim.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

Blake81 wrote:Since this is a recommendations thread, I'd like to ask for something instead. Could anyone here reccomend me a nice Fallout/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-esque game for PC?

An FPS(3rd Person is fine too) with RPG elements and a large world to explore. I've been craving for another of those after I got bored of Skyrim.
Bro, your timing could not be better. I was just about to come in here and recommend System Shock 2. Just youtube it for some details. For a 2000 FPS/RPG, it is remarkably ambitious.

Just be sure that if you buy it, google instructions on how to properly install it on Windows XP or 7. The game is notoriously difficult to run on current day machines if you don't know what you're doing.
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Helios Leinheart wrote:
Blake81 wrote:Since this is a recommendations thread, I'd like to ask for something instead. Could anyone here reccomend me a nice Fallout/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-esque game for PC?

Bro, your timing could not be better. I was just about to come in here and recommend System Shock 2. Just youtube it for some details. For a 2000 FPS/RPG, it is remarkably ambitious.

Just be sure that if you buy it, google instructions on how to properly install it on Windows XP or 7. The game is notoriously difficult to run on current day machines if you don't know what you're doing.
I tried playing that one, but it showed a deadly allergy to my VCard. I followed all the install instructions I found in the Net, but nothing worked. :sigh:
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon

I imagine you were using a pirated version. Don't worry. I did too my first time. I'm sure that only makes it more difficult to run.

I'm intending to buy an actual copy. My laptop is pretty old, so it should actually run better.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

I highly recommend Borderlands 2, it's probably the best FPS I ever played apart from TF2! And a SIREN class that can HEAL?! I even have a "Nurse" title now and all my skill icons look like birds and feathers! How AWESOME is that?! This FPS was made for me! :D This game also has a sense of humor that reminds me of Helios' too, which makes this game even more entertaining. It seems like it has something for everyone, so if you like co-op fps shooters with tons of "phat loot", huge explosions, lots of action, YOU MUST TRY THIS GAME!