Video Game Recommendations

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Re: Video Game Recommendations

Post by Blake81 »

I had heard about Borderlands 2, maybe I'll take a peek at it later. But now I think I've found just what I was looking for, with bonus.

I found an Indie game called E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy.....Holy Hackers....Quite literaly! This game is utterly amazing!! To say it more cleary, it's:

HL2 + Fallout + Shadowrun = EYE

A postapocaliptic-esque cyberpunk FPS RPG where HACKING plays a major role in the gameplay...... It was pretty much tailored for me.

The game uses the same graphic engine as HL2, and for what I've seen, it's creators also took some HL2 elements such as using your psi-powers to move stuff around(Just like with the Gravity Gun) and turrets you must know down in order to stop. The RPG elements consist in a level system with a complex set of skills and augmentations that vary from the standard basic skills, (Strenght, Agility, Endurance, etc) to Cybernetic implants(Psionic Firewall to prevent your mind from being hacked, muscular enhancements to increase your strengts, methabolic augmentations to heal faster, etc) and Virus Upgrades(Will you Hack by brute force till your target's security fail or will you keep hidden and weaken it's defenses? It's all up to what viruses you use).

The most unique thing on this game is the Hacking system. You can use your cybernetic implants, Hacker skills and viruses to perform all kinds of tasks. From something as simple as opening a closed door or stealing money from an ATM, to making security turrets attack your enemies or manipulating your foes's brain computers and turning them into your slaves or zombies.

The selection of guns is somewhat reduced, but they all serve they purpose; from the lead-pumping shotgun to the hush-hush sniper rifle. There's no gun stronger than the other; they all have their own use and special qualities. But don't carry too many of them, or else the weight will slow you down.

I do not know how large is the world yet but I know that there's a lot of free roaming with abundant sidequests.

The game also has a complex and twisting storyline, full of conspirations and mystery. For more info take a look at here:

http://eye.streumon-studio.com

Seriously, this is a total Indie masterpiece....
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

You would probably like Deus Ex if you like hacking. It's also a good technie shooter game, no "RPG" elements though.
Mac_Green
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: None
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia and Nekomimi

Post by Mac_Green »

Hm? Fellow Monster Hunter fans I see? Excellent. Always great to see more hunters around. Actually got a small group over in Pokegirls that hunt every so often on Tri. I've been working (albeit slowly) on MHFU, and I'm really looking forward to Tri Ultimate. I've also got Portable 3rd, but I haven't played it in a while. And by 'got', I mean imported.

Let's see, game recommendations... For PC, I'd say Civilization IV. I haven't played V yet (only recently built a PC capable of handling it). For consoles, let's see. RPGs are kinda my preference. Valkyria Chronicles on PS3, or the second one on PSP/Vita. Persona 4 and SMT: Nocturne as well are excellent RPGs on the PS2. But to be honest, my very favorite RPGs are Phantasy Star IV for the Genesis, Suikoden 2 for the PSX, and practically the entire Mega Man series (up to X8, not including X6 or X7). Sorry, no recommendations for Microsoft, I've never had one of their systems. For the Gamecube, Skies of Arcadia Legends... or Tales of Symphonia. Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life is great as well. For the DS, it's a tough call, there's so many good games for it. However, I'd go with SMT: Strange Journeys. Or Rune Factory 3. The PSP has a large number of great games, but I'd always recommend Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and God Eater Burst. Freakin' awesome games (and some of the few not-quite RPGs I regularly play).

Older systems... FF6 for SNES/GBA. Also, Mega Man Battle Network 1-3 and 6. For the Genesis, Shining Force! And hell, here's one for the Saturn- Dragon Force. Seriously, they need to bring that out again some day. Dreamcast... Rival Schools: Project Justice. For the PC, there's far too many. The Wing Commander series is a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Freelancer as well. Civilization series, Simcity series, and honestly, I'd go with Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries as well. They're pretty low-requirement games these days (might need dosbox for some of them, no less), and they're cheap as well if you know where to look.

It's too difficult to recommend any particular NES games. There's too many good ones!
Beware the wrath of the minor roles!
Mac_Green
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: None
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia and Nekomimi

Video Game Recommendations

Post by Mac_Green »

I've been thinking of trying to find a new, or a few new, games for the PC to play. However... I'm not much of a PC gamer, despite the possibilities my new PC provides. So, I could use some help in figuring out something to play.

I tend to like RPGs (not huge into Fallout-style RPGs, honestly, though I don't mind 'em), strategy, simulations, and exploration. Some of my favorite PC games of all time are games like Civilization and Wing Commander (Privateer and the core series). I also enjoy Mechwarrior 4 (I really like being able to customize things) and Star Wars X-wing/TIE Fighter.

Outside of PCs? jRPGs, like Suikoden, Monster Hunter, Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc. Still like strategy games as well, but I also enjoy some hack 'n slashing a la Dynasty/Samurai Warriors (not too often, since those games are always so similar).

I'd really like to find something like Civilization, but then again, I'd love something space or medieval (fantasy)-based as well that involves a main character of some sort that is your avatar, making his/her way through the world. Merchant, warlord, whatever. I'm not sure about Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, however, so something other than that would be nice. I'm also not looking for something that requires 'always on', Sim City or Diablo 3-style.

Does anyone have some suggestions at all?
Last edited by Rezeed on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging thread Clone with the original thread.
Beware the wrath of the minor roles!
hothead1021
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Elemental Bomber
Favorite Monster Type: Wight

Post by hothead1021 »

For anyone looking for a free game online for some decent, fast game play, then I'd Recommend "Elsword" it's a 3D Hack and slash game on a 2D plane.

The First Arc Premise is that in the Land of Elrios a huge Tree is filled with the power of El, the worlds life force. one day a group of Bandits called the Benders led by Banthus arrive and attack The Tree of El, making off with the El Stone, thus the power of El begins to fade from the land, One boy, Elsword of the Red Knights along with the Genius Magician Aisha, and Forest elf Rena set out to recover the El Stone that was stolen from the land

Gameplay wise the learning curve is surprisingly easy with a button for light attacks, a button for heavy attacks and from 4-8 buttons for special attacks you can choose for battle meaning you can build up a lot of combos if the right move is used at the right time. as you level up you gain SP (special points), which you use to power up your moves. Every time 5 Sp is used you unlock more abilities. as you reach certain levels, you have the opportunity to change classes meaning more combos and abilities.

In terms of PVP, Elsword has got to be the most fair and fun I've ever had with it. It has a ranking system Ranging from E-A to S, SS, SSS. and you gain Exp from just joining in, but more if you win. here's how it goes, when you start off you have no rank, in order to get a Rank in PvP, you need to join 10 qualifier rounds of PvP either 1v1 or 3v3, based on your performance on each match, you're assigned your rank. Now as you join Matches in PvP you also gain AP (Arena Points) which you can use to shop at the Arena store, the higher your rank the better stuff you can get.

Now there are a total of 6 Characters to choose from in Elsword, each with their own unique traits and abilities. I'd go further into it, but I'd have to go much into Detail about it.

Overall it's a very great game to play, and if you play it with a friend, I can assure that you'll never get bored. and if your're interested in knowing more, heres the link to both the Wiki and the Official website

(Wiki)
http://elwiki.net/w/Main_Page

(Main Site)
http://www.elswordonline.com/

Top 20 Mamono in no order
Spoiler: show
Dullahan
Vampire
Dragon
Mantis
Lizardman
Elf
Blue Oni
Alice
Yuki-Onna
Sahuagin
Scylla
Alice
Dhampir
Anubis
Neried
Lilim
Dwarf
Kunoichi
Doppelganger
Salamander
Marthy and Mara: Thank you Minerva, for our bond with Megumi
Rezeed
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Data Spirit
Personal Title: Dream Traveller
Favorite Monster Type: N/A

Post by Rezeed »

Looks like I FINALLY will be making a recommendation request myself. Since I'll be having means to play newer stuff.

Lets see. I am a man that has literally played and beaten-ed hundreds of games. 300+ to be a little more precise.(I kid you not)

I'm a sucker for gameplay or gameplay mechanics that are fun or leaves a good challenge. I can care less if the graphics are in HD, 3D, or just plain fancy in general. Gameplay, music, and atmosphere is all I really need.(Music not so much, but an engaging story is a bonus). From the recommendations, I mostly ask for no FPSes. I have all my FPS needs with Red Steel for my WII. For stories, I am more light hearted than anything. I am just not that fond of dark stories(with very rare exceptions) or things that strongly reminds me of lord of the rings in certain rights.

The kind of games I've play can range from RPGs(like the tales of series, Final Fantasy Series, Star Ocean, phantasy star online, and even the likes of Kingdom hearts), to action/adventure games(like The Legend of Zelda, Recent Castlevannia games, Dust, The way of the samurai), to even Platformers (like mario, sonic, megaman, kirby, etc.). However, I do play the occasional beat'em ups.

Anyway, I thought I would try out these newer games that I was forced to miss out on.(Since most games accessable on a PC used to only allow me to play abandonware and games made before the year 2006.)
Click the Image to be drawn into a world of Fantasy, Science, Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, and Endless Wonder.
Drazzimyr
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The inactive

Need suggestions for PC games

Post by Drazzimyr »

So I've just uninstalled a bunch of games that I haven't played a while on my computer and I'm looking for new stuff to get. Preferably stuff on Steam or other things that I can download. Any suggestions in any genre will do, though I may shoot down specific things that won't apply to my interest.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Swordmaster of the void.
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Scrapmaster »

IF you shooters with exploration features like Bioshock.
Give Metro:Last light a try, its really nice in both combat and stealth,exploration and is also immersive as hell

IF you like a co-op shooter: you can give PAYDAY 2 a try, its a good game, not as good as its predecessor but its still a solid and fun game to play with friends or randoms

IF you like mindless destruction: GIve saints row 4 a try

But My favorite of all of them is Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, just for the naval combat which is so damn fun and addicting, and is actually one of the few "Unique" gameplay feature in the Assassins creed series which tend to have a reputation of all having the same gameplay
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

Death? I have gotten used to it, for I cannot die...I come back every time.
Merku
Fool
Fool
Personal Title: Lolicon

Post by Merku »

Wildstar is an excellent game for those who like MMO's. Quality combat and a ton of excellent features in a colorful Sifi world.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Scrapmaster »

If anyone likes MMORPGs with really good combat then i'd recommend C9 continent of the ninth and vindictus, both games are pretty much the same, you go in missions and not an open world with your friends or you go alone and do quests.

you have many classes to choose from and each has their own playstyles including several combos.
the cool thing is that every attack be it meele or ability can be chained up and combo'ed, meaning you can make your own combos which is really nice.

Continent of the ninth is available through the site or through steam, just search C9 in the steam search and it will be there.

I have seen videos of vindictus and its really good as well. but my IP is brazilian meaning I can't play the american or the korean version which are up to date.

I can play C9 though so if anyone wants to play add me on steam

ID: Scudman_Alpha
If you think of me as nothing more than a mere wanderer...you are trully mistaken, because I can destroy the very fabric of your being with the power bestowed upon me.

Where there is a question there is an answer, where there is an option there is another, my path is mine alone to make.

kukuruyo
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Evil Artist

Post by kukuruyo »

I also like the Monster saga, but i'm mainly a player of rpg (mostly jrpg as wrpg tend to be just about doing quests), i would recomend a lot of rpg, most of them old, Chrono trigger, Final fantasy 4 and 6, Parasite eve saga, Valkyrie profile saga, Odin sphere, Star ocean saga, Valkiria chronicles or the almighty Xenosaga.

But the game i would recomend the most in this gen it's Mirror's edge, wich i consider the most original and inmersive game of the gen.
lv27_robothero
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Ally of Anon Jr. and time god

Post by lv27_robothero »

If you like neptunia or want a somewhat different king of RPG id recommend MMX command misson. Im not very into mobas but SMITE has me hooked with its third person view and champions being gods like Loki and Zeus.
My wives
Yuri the Ryu ,Sally the Wurm, Lisa the Dragon, Asterius the Minotaur, Freya the Valkyrie, and Teffy the Pharaoh
My Children
Kira the Holy Dragon, from Lisa.
Meiling the Ryu, from Yuri.
Bath Kol the Valkyrie From Freya
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Smite is pretty decent. I wish wish they would add a harpy. Heck someone already suggested it and did the art, so why not?
smite___harpy_by_suburbbum.jpg
I'm gona suggest Alan Wake. It's a little known dark horror game with probably some of the best FPS story telling I've ever seen. I love the eerie dark environments a lot. It's not a hard game though, it's just really immersive.

Don't let the cheap intro graphic fool you, this game is quite polished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
inc1013
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Meh

Post by inc1013 »

I would have to put in my reccomendation for Shin Megami Tensei 1 for the iOS (Don't ask why it's not on android yet).
It started the Shin Megami Tensei series (not the Megaten franchise as a whole though), and it aged... fairly well... Its a bit hard to get into, but it's fun nonetheless. The best comparison to those who don't know about the series would be to say Pokemon is a non-demonic/mythological Megami Tensei. You recruit demons and fight with a party of them against other demons. It's fairly basic compared to other SMT games. The fusion in the first game is slightly less polished but nonetheless awesome.

I would also recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS.
The Turn Press battle system is by far one of the best battle systems ever designed. You are either crushing your enemies or having your ass handed to you at a Golden Coral. It is difficult and you will die many times over the course of the game. Fortunately the Fates smile upon you as you can play in the in game currency or Play coins (considering play coins are free I don't think this counts as a microtransaction... more as a way of saying exercise can save your life) to revive yourself via in game dialogue with an entity I would rather have go unnamed. Or you could just save a lot like I do. Unlike the previous entries in the series this game allows you to save anywhere.

Warning Moral Ambiguity is prevalent in the series. So much so that it isn't so much Good vs Evil as both sides exist in the grey areas of conventional morality.
Men do, through the roads they walk.
Men born by pain and anguish find compassion; by compassion find pain and anguish
The roads we walk must be walked upon, so our legends and history will not go untold.
May we find tomorrow is as bright as we dream, and our past forgotten about ebony roads.
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Scrapmaster »

If ANYONE is looking for a great action adventure games, then play the Onimusha series.

Samurais fighting demons with magical powers? hells yeah :goodjob: the gameplay is great, the story is pretty deep. its a classic series from the PS2
and my favorite Game series of all time, If anyone has questions just ask and i'll answer :)

the games can now be accessed by easily using PCXS2 (PS2 emulator) and let me tell you ITS VERY WORTH IT

Nick115
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Historian.
Favorite Monster Type: None anyone who says i do dies

Post by Nick115 »

If you like Strategy i have to say, Europa Universalis 3-4, Crusader Kings 2, Hearts Of Iron 2, Darkest Hour, 3, and upcoming 4. Total War.
Paradox interactive is VERY good at making historical games, in Europa Universlais 4 you choose a nation, micromanage Spending, Trade, Colonization, War, and EXPANSION, It goes from 1444-1821, It also has steam workshop SO THAT ADDS SO DAMNED MUCH. But i would advise playing as France, they are easy to control.
Crusader kings 2 (NOTE BUY ALL DLC FOR PARADOX GAMES, THEY ARE FUCKING AWESOME.) starts in 850 When the EMPIRE OF FRANCIA fell, Orthodox and Christianity have divided and the Norse comes FOR BLOOD AND GOLD! The Sunni's are powerful, wanting to expand. The Byzantium is in SHAMBLES! trying to rebuild a lost empire. the Slavics grow STRONGER EVERY DAY! Slowly becoming Russia! The Mongol hordes Come in the 1200's, wanting YOUR LAND!
I give you one last thing about CK2, The Aztecs are coming. And they come, for Europe.
Hearts of iron 3 takes you to WORLD WAR 2. Germany will invade ALL OF EUROPE, Italy want AFRICA, France is DOOMED, the British will NOT BE NEUTRAL, the Soviets spread communism, the U.S is in the balance and will try to stay neutral, China is in a state of CIVIL WAR, Japan Expands its empire. The world will be at war. ADDED BONUS CHALLENGE, TAKE OVER THE WOULD AS SWITZERLAND!
Victoria 2 is set in the Victorian era, starting in 1836. Prussia WILL form Germany, France will TRY TO TAKE AFRICA, Italy WANTS TO FORM, Russia wants all of CHINA! The Chinese are STRONG, Japan wants ASIA! The U.S will DECLARE WAR ON MEXICO, Texas WANTS FREEDOM, Brasil is a POWERHOUSE, South america IS IN CHAOS! The British want one thing, and ITS LAND, Africa will me colonized in the 1870's.

I love paradox interactive.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Your Heros are their monsters, and your heaven is their hell, and vice versa, but to me, you're all wrong, and you will forever be wrong as long as you see the world in black and white.
lv27_robothero
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Ally of Anon Jr. and time god

Post by lv27_robothero »

As somebody who had never played Pikmin and craving RTS-games, Pikmin 3 was an awesome experience and fun to be playing as the commander of the battlefield.
Game not pissing you off enough at deaths, then get Spelunker HD or a port of NES title, unless you are really good at the game you are guaranteed to die and get a few game overs.
My wives
Yuri the Ryu ,Sally the Wurm, Lisa the Dragon, Asterius the Minotaur, Freya the Valkyrie, and Teffy the Pharaoh
My Children
Kira the Holy Dragon, from Lisa.
Meiling the Ryu, from Yuri.
Bath Kol the Valkyrie From Freya
Katsoro
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Baby Monkey
Favorite Monster Type: Orc,Nightmare,KitsunHolstaurus

Post by Katsoro »

I need a good First Person Shooter... one that has tanks. I just got arma 3 and dumped it after 4 hours (I don't do multilayer and don't want to die 50 times in one short mission because of the AI's magic aim). I love FarCray 3 but hate it's save system and FarCray 4 sucks on PC right now. I have the new tomb raider but crystal went Xbox only so I'll never buy one of there games or play a tomb raider game again.

So yeah I need help.
"The smiles and laughter of his readers are the greatest rewords of a writer."__Me

So go read Battle Mage and comment on it Q.Q
Scrapmaster
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Scrapmaster »

Well there's battlefield 3.

its quite hard to find a real tactical first person shooter with tanks in a war and all, since nowadays most first person shooters are very much "hurr durr run around, shoot,run around shoot, DROPSHOT! 360 no scope BITCH!!!!!!!" Ala CoD.

a good first person shooter is PAyday 2 though, very nice co-op shooter

for tanks in it though...well

SIERRA-116
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: MCPO Jason-116
Favorite Monster Type: Snakes, slimes, Alraunes, bugs
Location: Installation 05 "Green Zone" (Codename: Delta Halo GZ)

Post by SIERRA-116 »

I'm gonna suggest Battlezone 2. It's an Old game, and it would appeal to the RTS players who wish they could bypass stupid AI by doing it themselves... so long as they don't mind having to keep their base AND their tank alive.
To find him, you must forget the stories...

Forget the legends...

You have to do more than walk in his footsteps...

For he is more than the sum of his actions...

I tell you this, not because I trust you...

But because all our lives are at stake...

Because the seeds of our future... are sown in his past...