Chrono Trigger

Nostalgia for some, a new experience for me.

Discuss video games from platforms such as XBOX, Nintendo, Playstation, PC, etc.
Drazzimyr
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The inactive

Chrono Trigger

Post by Drazzimyr »

If you're old enough, you know the game. You know, that game where all the characters look like they should be in Dragon Ball. That game where the main character's hair looks like a palm tree. I know you know it and you should know that I know.

Recently, I downloaded both an SNES emulator and Chrono Trigger for said emulator. I've yet to play it, as I need getting used to the controls, but I'm hoping to learn a quickly, so that I can get to playing the game as soon as I can.

So, does anyone have memories of the Chrono Trigger and the SNES in general? If so, share them and if you would be kind enough, share any advice you have to offer.

Welcome to the Chrono Trigger thread.
Razamataz22
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: The Unknown Creator
Favorite Monster Type: None

Re: Chrono Trigger

Post by Razamataz22 »

I remember Chrono Trigger and the hours spent on my SNES (I still have the thing by the way). I think my favourite party, from memory (it has been a while since I played it), consisted of the central character, the frog and the dark mage....damn I can't remember their names for shit. I think the dark mages name is Marcus or something along those lines but I could be completely wrong.

Although for the SNES, I have to say that the game I remember most would have to definately be Yoshi's Island, for a childs game it still consists a lot of confusing scenarios and to get 100% is damn near impossible. I miss the blocky graphics as well..........I think I'm going to have to crack out the emulator tonight and replay some true memories.
That who doth not truly exist, never cease to amaze
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Protector of Lolis

Post by Jinouga87 »

Help the Princess at the start of the game. Don't rush her.
Mac_Green
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: None
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia and Nekomimi

Post by Mac_Green »

Let's see:

Don't eat someone's lunch. Be a good samaritan and take a kitty back to the little girl that owns it. And don't rush the blonde.

I'd also recommend leveling up in the Guardia Forest to about level 5. It's a good starting point, and gets you ready without having to worry about getting overwhelmed early on.

Oh, and try to get everyone's doll as a prize at the fair. Worth it.
Beware the wrath of the minor roles!
Rezeed
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Data Spirit
Personal Title: Dream Traveller
Favorite Monster Type: N/A

Post by Rezeed »

Word of advice. If you ever any area that has enemies you ahve to fight(like a dungeon or something), be sure to keep an eye around for anything. Not only will the training do you well, but there are a LOT of nice goodies and equipment that will save you a fortune without needing to pay a lot for it in a store.

Another tip, don't bother with the weapon shop to support's mac's tip.
Click the Image to be drawn into a world of Fantasy, Science, Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, and Endless Wonder.
musical74
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Master of Mistakes
Favorite Monster Type: Siren, Fairy, Holsty o my!

Post by musical74 »

I still have the SNES, and I have Chrono Trigger for the PS1 :D

You MAY want to buy stuff from Porre - it's kinda pricey, but it saves you time later (get a Steel Saber for Chrono, an Iron Bow for Marle, and a Dart Gun for Lucca, as well as armor and a helm for everyone), but that'll take about an hour, do it after you meet Marle, get them both leveled up. *shrug* different strokes for different folks though. My favorite combo was Chrono, Frog, and Marle :)

Biggest problem is pretty late in the game, whether you want to spare Magus or not (I usually don't, but others like to spare him)
Mina and Cassandra prove that you CAN have light and dark together!
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

"My name is Gato. I have metal joints. Beat me up, and earn 15 points. Sucka"

I came so close to actually finishing the game last time. Another situation in which my computer conking out really screwed me.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Post by Blake81 »

Ah, the RPG I played non-stop until my fingertips turned purple...I once beat it 3 times in a row in a single day...I just couldn't get tired of it.

It was a total masterpiece, perhaps it's one of the most iconic games of the SNES console. Not to mention it got one of the coolest and most legendary characters ever; MAGUS! He has one of the coolest and most badass themes in game history.

Still, it's sequel Chono Cross was kind of a let down.....I wont spoil the why to those that haven't played it, but I could never play CT the same way as before after playing Chrono Cross....
Hood
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Succubi Pimp
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi,Slimes,Centaurs,Lamias

Post by Hood »

The only way to describe this game, is as a master piece.
I managed to get all the endings (Naturally, it was the first game I was able to buy by myself, it was the only game I had for almost three years). Super Nintendo and Playstation 1, those were the days. The best games and franchises appeared on those two consoles.
I still remember the first time I saw those graphics, the beautiful handbook, and the huge poster, they looked so amazing, and the music, the characters, everything was perfect and amazing...
I'm getting old...
There are those who would scorn good-natured people. Even if God himself will
not show his face, a heartful person will one day take God's place in
visiting Judgement upon them. This is what is known as "Divine Retribution"
L337 m4n
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lord Shadow
Favorite Monster Type: Imps and kunoichi

Post by L337 m4n »

Ah Chrono Trigger. Played the remake on the DS when it came out and even got the weapon you get when you deal with the DreamEater. Dream Seeker the strongest weapon for Chrono. So yeah got the new ending they added as a bonus. Got most of the endings as well. Another helpful hint if you can grind. You'll be able to unlock more and saves time on some things.
Fanfic Fetishist
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Deus Ex Epsilon
Favorite Monster Type: All Epsilon Pokegirls
Location: In the background of Epsilon, building the world bit by bit

Post by Fanfic Fetishist »

Played it for the first time ever a couple months ago on the DS. It was a wonderful experience.
Check out Pokegirls Epsilon!:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=923

Let no one tell you how to live! Define yourself by your own will! Be a storm unto yourself!
Darkness, Light, there is no difference. Stand tall, embrace both, and you can find the true path!
http://www.f-list.net/c/fanfic%20fetishist/
Razamataz22
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: The Unknown Creator

Post by Razamataz22 »

It's weird how you look at all the recent games which come out in rapid succession, all striving to be better than one another, yet the longetivity these sort of games have, along with their replay value, is what truly makes a classic
That who doth not truly exist, never cease to amaze
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

Razamataz22 wrote:It's weird how you look at all the recent games which come out in rapid succession, all striving to be better than one another, yet the longetivity these sort of games have, along with their replay value, is what truly makes a classic
That's because back in the day, graphics were a visual aid so that you knew what you were doing. These day, most of the development focus is put on graphics to make it pretty.

The fancy graphics of Modern Warfare will never be as charming as glorious 8-bit NES games or the bright colors of Green Hill Zone.
Hood
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Succubi Pimp
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi,Slimes,Centaurs,Lamias

Post by Hood »

Helios Leinheart wrote:The fancy graphics of Modern Warfare will never be as charming as glorious 8-bit NES games or the bright colors of Green Hill Zone.
This man speaks the truth!!! :hellyes:
I remeber when I saw Chrono Trigger graphics for the first time, Guardia Forest was an amazing place, and the world map of the Middel Ages with that calm music. Not to mention my favorite place (and BGM) of all time, the floating Kingdom of Zeal.That game was (and still is) a feast for your senses
Fuck, where is my SNES Emulator???
There are those who would scorn good-natured people. Even if God himself will
not show his face, a heartful person will one day take God's place in
visiting Judgement upon them. This is what is known as "Divine Retribution"
DogKama
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Lupine Sentinel
Favorite Monster Type: Werewolf/WulfGuard

Post by DogKama »

Hood wrote:
Helios Leinheart wrote:The fancy graphics of Modern Warfare will never be as charming as glorious 8-bit NES games or the bright colors of Green Hill Zone.
This man speaks the truth!!! :hellyes:
I remeber when I saw Chrono Trigger graphics for the first time, Guardia Forest was an amazing place, and the world map of the Middel Ages with that calm music. Not to mention my favorite place (and BGM) of all time, the floating Kingdom of Zeal.That game was (and still is) a feast for your senses
Fuck, where is my SNES Emulator???
one of those games i still need to be play... shame really I have yet to do so.

MY Wulfguard wife FonFon!
Rezeed
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Data Spirit
Personal Title: Dream Traveller
Favorite Monster Type: N/A

Post by Rezeed »

I feel really compelled to bring these two around.

Review that explains the game well:
[youtube]3tYebVttP2U[/youtube]

An amazing song:
[youtube]ANepZTX_RcE[/youtube]
Click the Image to be drawn into a world of Fantasy, Science, Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, and Endless Wonder.