Glacies

Spirit of Ice

An adult themed monster girl world created by Kenkou Cross.
Rezeed
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Data Spirit
Personal Title: Dream Traveller
Favorite Monster Type: N/A

Re: Glacies

Post by Rezeed »

Not to sound rude or anything, but when I did a simple transliteration of the disposition.

I got Calm and Emotionless by matching profiles that matched the characters. Basically, I matched the characters with another profile that had the same ones. If the order, that it was translated is was the same as the original, then I think a double check is in order.

Transliteration and translation is two seperate things.

One is compairing and matching characters while the other one is actually looking up the what words mean.
Click the Image to be drawn into a world of Fantasy, Science, Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, and Endless Wonder.
dragonstryke58
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Shiris's Slave Husband
Favorite Monster Type: Anubis, Lilim, Arisufizu (MGQ)

Post by dragonstryke58 »

I think the "context" is actually just reader preference for the fact that they represent elements in our culture. The translator may have thought that seirei would be better understood if it meant elemental in these cases instead of spirit. A lot of times in Japanese--->English translation, many things are not directly translated to better suit the reader's cultural bias or because there really is no direct translation (I'm sure you know all this too). Example being the word "Ohayou"... directly translated it means something akin to "It's early", but we all know it as "Good Morning".

As for seirei, I had asked my Japanese-speaking friends and family about it earlier (I think this issue had come up before) and they explained it as seirei being a pure, natural spirit or a spirit of nature. Therefore, it could be interpreted as elemental as well.

All in all, I think that the translator went with "seirei = elemental" because it would be easier and more fitting to use that translation for a non-Japanese audience with little or no knowledge of how the language actually works.
I thought that love had given up on me...but while I was here, I found that love had different shapes and was in different places. I experienced so many types of love. After traveling this world, I can say this for certain: I love monster girls! --Shuu from To the World of MGE
Amanomiya
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Monster Hunter
Favorite Monster Type: Weresheep, Baphomet, Cyclops

Post by Amanomiya »

Actually, the Kitsune-bi is a good example of what I mean. Her family/type is,
精霊属 (Seirei zoku) – (Spirit genus)
エレメント型 (Eremento kata) – (element/al form/type)

Now, since she’s an animistic spirit (the embodiment of an Inari/Youko’s lust personified) she’s listed as a Spirit Family monster. Because the way she embodies this is through the medium of fox fire (she’s kind of a will o’ the wisp) she’s an element/al type since she’s made from fire. Changing her to Elemental Family, Elemental Type seems both redundant and arbitrary.

To me this is the same as changing the Ghoul from undead to "maijin" or "demi-human" because, when looking at her art, she's not dead. She may have been risen from a corpse, but the girl looks like she's alive now, no deathly palor or anything, so I should change the type to reflect what I think and ignore the author's own statement of fact as to what she is.
dragonstryke58
Moon
Moon

Post by dragonstryke58 »

Good and valid points.

However, I am going to have to request that maybe we move this to another thread in the MGE discussion section as we are starting to get onto the topic of translation rather than the Glacies herself. If you would like to, please start a new thread on the sub-forum for discussion (if there isn't one already like it) so that this discussion may resume there.

And now back to the "Ice Queen" herself...
I thought that love had given up on me...but while I was here, I found that love had different shapes and was in different places. I experienced so many types of love. After traveling this world, I can say this for certain: I love monster girls! --Shuu from To the World of MGE
GorgonMage
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Lonely Unicorn

Post by GorgonMage »

She's very pretty but I think I prefer the Yukionna.

I never did like the Ice Queen.
(Signature made by Feathers)

GO TEAM JACOB!
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

I do like her better than Yuki-onna
Creator_Drake
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Agent Planewalker
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Demon, Cyclops, Apophis,

Post by Creator_Drake »

As far as elementals go, she's pretty interesting, with general personality and disposition matching pretty close in my opinion.

I actually like the fact that initially there isn't any sex required for her to gain energy. Sure, its in exchange of being cold and stern, but I find it a small welcome change from the other entries.

She reminds me of the mantis when not in her mating season actually, in disposition at least. Aside from needing spirit energy as all elementals do, it seems to me she could hardly care less for human men.

Now, who else is waiting for KC's rendition of a Lightning elemental?
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Spoiler: show
dragonstryke58
Moon
Moon

Post by dragonstryke58 »

Nice picture. Her neck looks a little thin though...but still very nice!
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Protector of Lolis
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Jinouga87 »

I wouldn't mind having he as part of an elemental herem.
Crubitz
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: None
Favorite Monster Type: Dragon, Kunoichi & Glacies

Post by Crubitz »

I'm sure she has a warm heart, jst stunning
dethwiperer
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Yuki No Hana
Favorite Monster Type: Yuki-Onna and all of Zipangu

Post by dethwiperer »

She seems pretty cool
I could chill out with her any day
She looks pretty cold hearted though
Sorry about the puns...she's no Yuki-Onna but she sounds nice.
Katsoro
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Baby Monkey
Favorite Monster Type: Orc,Nightmare,KitsunHolstaurus

Post by Katsoro »

Peacekeeper1894 wrote:I do like her better than Yuki-onna
:ehh?: Wut? Everyone loves the new girl and forgets poor lonely Yuki-onna chan :wail: .
"The smiles and laughter of his readers are the greatest rewords of a writer."__Me

So go read Battle Mage and comment on it Q.Q
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Katsoro wrote:
:ehh?: Wut? Everyone loves the new girl and forgets poor lonely Yuki-onna chan :wail: .
Seriously, I have elemental fetish.

And it's not like everyone really forgets the yuki-onna, read back the few page.
Kmon13
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Lv. 124 Dark Knight and Bard
Favorite Monster Type: Amazoness, Alp, Kunoichi,
Location: Royce, Capital of the Black Rose Republic (What once started an small inn grew into a nation)

Post by Kmon13 »

Katsoro wrote:

I haven't forgotten about her I plan to do a stroy about her very soon involving Yuki-chan the Yeti and the newbie know as Glacies :work: :study:

The right to live free without fear of death should be granted and enjoyed by all beings Mamono, human, or Otherwise.

Least liked Mamono:Mamono who rape!

Tales of the Black Rose Inn...
Destined Paths Of Eden
Lilith Academy Chronicles
Monster Girl Apocalypse Journals
dragonstryke58
Moon
Moon

Post by dragonstryke58 »

:Whoo!: Our official translated profile is finally up!
Falconjudge
Magician
Magician
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Falconjudge »

What's the policy on dead threads on this part of the forum?

Anyways, I'd imagine a Lava Golem would have a pretty nice time living in a region with Glacies. One girl gets a guy ice cold and dying for some heat and simple affection (and other stuff), while the Lava Golem happens to specialize in both. She'd have a husband in no time flat, no matter how barren and dick-less the landscape.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

There is no rules against posting in old threads. Feel free to post where you like. Perhaps it could be helpful to stir up a fresh new conversation.

As for me, I don't like being too cold or too hot, that could be a problem. I'd probably not feel too well, heh. :^^;:
Phantom77
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Glyph Swordmaster
Favorite Monster Type: Ryu, Lizardman, Sea Bishop

Post by Phantom77 »

Oh you won't have to worry about that, provided you're willing to stay with her for an extended period of time as you thaw out her heart. Then you'll be "warming" each other all night. On a side note I wonder if this Ice Queen will be getting a profile in the future. I'm still waiting for a few others to surface.
There is nothing more beautiful than a warrior with no distractions. One could say he is the closest thing to God
GorgonMage
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The Lonely Unicorn

Post by GorgonMage »

You would cut yourself on her sharp edges.
(Signature made by Feathers)

GO TEAM JACOB!