Selkie

Cold-Water Hunting MG

An adult themed monster girl world created by Kenkou Cross.
Blake81
Sun
Sun
Official Title: TMM's Resident Hacker
Personal Title: Scribe Blake Arc-Garian
Favorite Monster Type: Tsundere Anubis MOE!

Re: Selkie

Post by Blake81 »

Mythologicaly speaking, they are the very same.

I hope KK keeps the gentle nature of the myth selkies and avoids the whole heartbreak part.....
Severontous
Moon
Moon
Official Title: Resident U.S. Army Veteran
Personal Title: Ever tired man
Favorite Monster Type: Dangerous 1 nobody else wants.

Post by Severontous »

Was not expecting this in the slightest.
Spoiler: show
I am the bone of my HitBox
Sanwa is my body and Salt is my blood
I have wiffed over a thousand DPs
Unknown to SRK, Nor known to the FGC
Have withstood pain to create many combos
Yet, those combos will never hit anything
So as I pray, INFERNO DIVIDER
Whippe Lash
Emperess
Emperess
Favorite Monster Type: Ghoul...don't judge!!!
Location: The Insect Caverns located somewhere under the Zipangu Region

Post by Whippe Lash »

Well she gets my seal of approval. And that's all I have to say.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

*sigh*

I go out a friggin single weekend and there he comes, he uncovers his latest creation on that precise time...x_x

There's not much I can say about her right now.
Her picture is okay-ish for what she's supposed to be, minus the harpoon since it looks out of place (Selkies are not warriors, they're lovers/wives).
About her personality and her entry...Well the last time KK managed to nail one of his entries was in a case utterly similar to this one (Merrow) and quite a long while has been since then... So my hopes of seeing a "proper" selkie are almost zero.

.P.S.:
``Burn the skin and she's yours´´
Depending on the region the modus operandi is hiding it instear of burning it.
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Crubitz
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: None
Favorite Monster Type: Dragon, Kunoichi & Glacies

Post by Crubitz »

:XD: I wonder if she uses that harpoon to capture her prey (namely men)?
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

I wonder if she uses that harpoon to capture her prey (namely men)?
From what I've read (thanks to Gulin/Amanomiya for the diligence he always displays), it can happen if one is unlucky enough to step into a selkie (or group of selkies) during her/their hunting sessions.

From what I've read so far I can come to several conclusions:

-Is it accurate to its myth incarnation? No (It shares some slight similarites here and there with the original myth but other than that it's not really similar)
-Is it an abherration? No (For the first time in months I can say that he's done a decent job in both artwork and text. It shows cohesion between art and text and he pulled this one off quite nicely. Although... there are some things out of place like the comparision between a selkie and a cartoon mascot but oh well...).
-My thoughts about it? It's okay. I like the descriptive process of the whole skin removal and the dispostion change between a selkie and a "married" selkie (they go from strong and obstinate to affectionate and clingy) and it has a strong cute factor on it with the whole "using their furs with their husbands as sleeping bags" thing.

It was a pretty nice surprise.
Rezeed
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Data Spirit
Personal Title: Dream Traveller
Favorite Monster Type: N/A

Post by Rezeed »

Technically, appearance has nothing to do with how they are similar are not.

In anycase, lets try to reserve judgement/opinion ONCE the official translation hits and everyone gets to see it because you never know what can pop up. In the meantime, that's just admire what we have. I personally, I will be enjoying the fact I am 3 for 3 on predicting future profiles.
Click the Image to be drawn into a world of Fantasy, Science, Romance, Mystery, Action, Adventure, and Endless Wonder.
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Also, while her appearance is nice and all. What's with the zip lol
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

Peacekeeper1894 wrote:Also, while her appearance is nice and all. What's with the zip lol
Try asking KC. Who better to answer it than the author himself?

Personally, I don't like the zipper, gives it a cosplay/costume look than that of a mythical creature (despite the skin being removable).

Everything else seems fine, until I can reserve full judgement for the actual translation.
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Pierce wrote:
Peacekeeper1894 wrote:Also, while her appearance is nice and all. What's with the zip lol
Try asking KC. Who better to answer it than the author himself?

Personally, I don't like the zipper, gives it a cosplay/costume look than that of a mythical creature (despite the skin being removable).

Everything else seems fine, until I can reserve full judgement for the actual translation.
It could be modernized

Edit: Also, a friend's wip.

Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

What's with the zip lol
She has to take her fur off somehow (apparently when she takes it off, she takes off all of it not only the upper half).
And also...
Kaijin I the nerd wrote:the whole "using their furs with their husbands as sleeping bags" thing.
...this.

.P.S.:
Technically, appearance has nothing to do with how they are similar are not.
I never alluded to their appearance (we are talking about creatures that may even have dozen several appearances depending on the region that regards them), but the way they are portrayed, the way Kenkou picks all the folklore and shapes it into a personified version of such.

Then again, I never said it had to be "pixel perfect"... that it had to be a carbon copy of the original myths (then again the entry more similar to the original myth, the merrow, shares a lot of similarites to the original incarnation but it's not identical).
But I was trying to say that they should give the vibe that they are similar to the thing they're trying to emulate, that they're able to lead you to think to the myth they're based on, that can make you exclaim out loud "hey, this is a....(insert myth's name here)!". And truth to be told there are incredibly few cases that lead to that reaction as of now (for instance Glacies doesn't make you remind the Snow Queen (as it was supposedly planned by the artist himself) but she ended up being a uber powered and mary sue-ish Yuki-onna... Or the minotaur where he tangled up the myth with the actual animal and the actual animal with one of the most inaccurate urban legends based on that animal).

As for the translation... well... maybe it's not official, but it's far from being a "beta". If I had to call it somehow it would be a "press release version"... sure it may be tweaked slightly here and there, but I doubt that it will undergo big changes/edits.
So my opinion still stands, if I were to change it or even withdraw it because the current translated version it's not "official" I would not only be offending Gulin, but also all the effort he put behind his work.
Helios Leinheart
Moon
Moon
Personal Title: Hopeless Romantic
Favorite Monster Type: Holstaurubus

Post by Helios Leinheart »

Dafuq? I am sorely reminded of Teddy right now.
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Image reminder
Hood
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Succubi Pimp
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi,Slimes,Centaurs,Lamias

Post by Hood »

What I like about this version of the Selkie, is that Kenkou removed the "bitch" trait of the Selkie. In the original myth, if she ever finds her seal skin, she will abandon her husband and children to return to the sea without a care for the world, but in the begining, it was the guy who stole her skin in the first place so I really don't know...
:whatever:
There are those who would scorn good-natured people. Even if God himself will
not show his face, a heartful person will one day take God's place in
visiting Judgement upon them. This is what is known as "Divine Retribution"
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

I wonder if she has elven ears under that seal cap.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

is that Kenkou removed the "bitch" trait of the Selkie. In the original myth, if she ever finds her seal skin, she will abandon her husband and children to return to the sea without a care for the world
That statement is a bit too unfair actually.
Selkies in their mythological incarnations are often forced to marry the guy who finds/steals her seal skin regardless if they want it or not, there have even been cases of selkies that have been forced to abandon their selkie husbands and children because of some sleezeball decided to steal their skins.

Anyway...back to topic (since mythology selkie apparently has her little corner here aswell...).

According to their profiles, selkies wear their seal fur/skin as if it was a dress and can take it off completely (hence the zipper part of their design).
That has led me to think that they are probably born withouth them and they are granted their furs after birth in a fashion that reminds me of how Merrows get their hats (it's fascinating how those two have that many similarities).

I can't help but wonder... Do selkies wear the same fur from birth to demise (that magically adapts their bodies as they grow)? Or they shed their skins until they hit adulthood?
And... do selkie children wear baby seal furs (that would look friggin' adorable)?

Do selkie children dress like this?

.P.S.:
I wonder if she has elven ears under that seal cap.
According to the translation...
translation wrote:These girls are also freely to remove these magical furs, the body revealed being that of a beautiful human woman. When like this, selkies and human women are impossible to tell apart.
...they are probably human ears (which makes her an oddity for both mermaid and beast girl standards, since she has no fin ears nor animal ears...of course the fact that she's based on an animal with no ears also helps her to have no animal ears).
PAZ

Post by PAZ »

Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

``Oh noes! The zipper's jammed!´´
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Post by Pierce »

Blake81 wrote:``Oh noes! The zipper's jammed!´´
Hmm, that doesn't sound so good, ya know, having a chasity skin seal suit. Oh how abstinence would bite...
Blake81
Sun
Sun

Post by Blake81 »

Pierce wrote:
Blake81 wrote:``Oh noes! The zipper's jammed!´´
Hmm, that doesn't sound so good, ya know, having a chasity skin seal suit. Oh how abstinence would bite...
And that's the part where the dude steps in and says, ``I can get it open´´ and then takes her skin as pay and burns it, keeping her as well.