Flowkelp

An adult themed monster girl world created by Kenkou Cross.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Re: Flowkelp

Post by Feathers »

As usual jokes fly over your head Pierce. xD
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

There's something about this profile that actually kind of bugs me since I can't figure it out...

The profile states that they can pretty much end up in solid ground since they can wash up like real life seaweed/kelp would...
But how would a washed up "Kelpie" manage to ensnare up a man?

The source she's based on actually has quite crafty asset in the form of charm spells, which she uses on men to make them dive and wrap themselves up her leafy body while underwater or to make them protect and care for her while she's dry and vulnerable on solid ground.

However while I think that MGE rendition's asset is quite well thought out and clever, I don't think that it would work on dry land...AT ALL.
Her stickiness should work perfectly while wet, but I think that a dry, shriveled and lolified "Kelpie" would lose of all her adhesion.

So... How would a helpless, non adhesive "Kelpie" fare on dry land? And whatever could she do to catch herself a husband? (The profile explains what would shriveled married "Kelpies" would do, but not single ones... So whatever you do, don't tell me to read the profile... as it doesn't mention anything in this particular scenario).
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Incubus
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Perentie »

Kaijin wrote:However while I think that MGE rendition's asset is quite well thought out and clever, I don't think that it would work on dry land...AT ALL.
Her stickiness should work perfectly while wet, but I think that a dry, shriveled and lolified "Kelpie" would lose of all her adhesion.

So... How would a helpless, non adhesive "Kelpie" fare on dry land? And whatever could she do to catch herself a husband? (The profile explains what would shriveled married "Kelpies" would do, but not single ones... So whatever you do, don't tell me to read the profile... as it doesn't mention anything in this particular scenario).
Well if she's washed up on shore then she must still be near the water, near enough to drag herself back in if she gets so dry that she loses her stickiness (it says they normally don't move much, not that they can't or don't move about on their own).

Indeed, given dried out kelps are only mentioned regarding married ones (presumably living away from water) one might assume it would be very unusual for a non married flow kelp to be reduced to her loli state, as she wouldn't be getting far from water on her own.

On the other hand, given no great loss of stickiness is mentioned (only that they get even stickier when completely hydrated), I would think they would have to be "really" dry to not have enough fluids inside them to make themselves sticky on the outside if a man comes along.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

(it says they normally don't move much, not that they can't or don't move about on their own).
I think that pretty much applies on water, and even with that I can't picture them moving on their own volition but rather being moved by the sea currents.
Whle in land they can crawl back to the water if lucky (and since I can't picture them as able to even paddle they can easily end up washed up again if their body is hit by a wave while trying to go back).

I guess that a "freshly" washed up "Kelpie" should still be adhesive enough to wrap her leaves/limbs around any unsuspecting male who happens to find her and go into full "yoink!" mode...
...But I don't see that applying to shriveled ones though, and while it's a (supposedly) rather infrequent scenario to ponder about... it's still quite plausible to picture washed up and shriveled "Kelpies" (I've been born and raised in a coastal city, so the image of washed up and dried up seaweeds is far from rare to me).

Which still makes me question that certain scenario, however I'm still unable to find an answer to that particular scenario...^^U
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

Kaijin wrote:and even with that I can't picture them moving on their own volition but rather being moved by the sea currents.
Whle in land they can crawl back to the water if lucky (and since I can't picture them as able to even paddle they can easily end up washed up again if their body is hit by a wave while trying to go back).
But why can't you picture them moving on their own volition? Even if they can't freely control their kelp limbs (and I highly doubt that as it says they can wrap the kelp around their target) they clearly have largely humanoid legs and should be able to push themselves back into the water.

Indeed the "they don't usually move very much" is virtually identical to the wording used in the alraune profile, and we know they can not only learn polymorph spells but can also uproot their flowers and walk on their roots.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

But why can't you picture them moving on their own volition? Even if they can't freely control their kelp limbs (and I highly doubt that as it says they can wrap the kelp around their target) they clearly have largely humanoid legs and should be able to push themselves back into the water.
Legs she has, but I can't see either any feet or something remote similar to feet that gives the impression of her being able to walk (like her cousin Mandragora has).
And by the way until I see confirmed anywhere that she has actual hands hidden somewhere behind that cluster of kelp leaves, the mental image I'll have about her is her using their leaves as if they were limbs (which it's actually quite accurate to the source she's based on by the way).

.P.S.:
and we know they can not only learn polymorph spells
If she can actually use shapeshifting spells (which then again, it's yet to see confirmed) like an Alraune would, then her modus operandi would pretty much be pointless.
I mean if she can magically shapeshift, she could (or even should) have the knowledge and/or power to be able to cast charm spells (like Kelpies in D&D).
And if they where to be able to cast charm spells, why would even need their adhesion to begin with? (If you can make your prey willingly offer himself to you, why should you bother on doing the capture yourself?)
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

Kaijin wrote: Legs she has, but I can't see either any feet or something remote similar to feet that gives the impression of her being able to walk (like her cousin Mandragora has).
And by the way until I see confirmed anywhere that she has actual hands hidden somewhere behind that cluster of kelp leaves, the mental image I'll have about her is her using their leaves as if they were limbs (which it's actually quite accurate to the source she's based on by the way).
Yes, but my point is she wouldn't need to be able to walk to get back to water. She could crawl forward pushing with her legs and dragging herself with her kelp fronds. It may not look elegant but it would work just fine.
If she can actually use shapeshifting spells (which then again, it's yet to see confirmed) like an Alraune would, then her modus operandi would pretty much be pointless.
I mean if she can magically shapeshift, she could (or even should) have the knowledge and/or power to be able to cast charm spells (like Kelpies in D&D).
And if they where to be able to cast charm spells, why would even need their adhesion to begin with? (If you can make your prey willingly offer himself to you, why should you bother on doing the capture yourself?)
That was just an example, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the polymorph thing, my main point being that alraunes can move about on their roots so why should flow kelps not be able to move on their own when the language in the profile referring to their movement capabilities is basically the same?

Obviously if they can learn polymorph spells it wouldn't be a basic ability (just like alraunes wouldn't innately be able to do it). One would likely need a teacher and most would either not bother to learn or not get the opportunity.

I'm honestly a bit confused why you aren't answering my original question. What makes it hard for you to see them being able to move back into water if they are washed further up the beach?
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

I'm honestly a bit confused why you aren't answering my original question. What makes it hard for you to see them being able to move back into water if they are washed further up the beach?
Can I picture them crawling them back to water if they wash up? Definitely.
Can I picture a barely mobile, barely energetic girl with no functional feet (or barely functional if you prefer) and arms that are not suited to carry the strength of her own body to make it back to water in the case they were tossed way too far into dry land due to to get caught into a high tide or a storm? No, I can't.

Unless the artist himself expands the extent of her anatomic mobility (which I doubt he ever will), my impression on her is what I've been shown: that she's barely mobile (and that on her element that is).
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

It's time to give a proper and decent closure to my doubts since they've been around for quite a while (way too long actually) and thus I pretty much had time to think such matters thoroughly.
So... How would a helpless, non adhesive "Kelpie" fare on dry land?
Not so well... Considering the info given by the artist so far a kelpie on dry land would be as helpless as an upside down turtle (not entirely helpess, but really close to it).
And whatever could she do to catch herself a husband?
If she still retains some dampness and adhesiveness in her body she can simply wrap her leafy appendages into any unsupecting nearby man (and according to the artist himself, "Kelpies" actually wrap their leafy appendages when ensnaring a man), if she's dried up... it's the "upside down turtle scenario".

Hopefullly the artist can expand how her anatomy fully works some day, but for the time being I think that these are pretty satisfactory and accurate guesstimates for such particular matter.