Basilisk

An adult themed monster girl world created by Kenkou Cross.
Vendettadabeast
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: THE BEASTLY REBEL
Favorite Monster Type: The,Naughty,Bad and Lustful

Re: Basilisk

Post by Vendettadabeast »

Interesting you could say her look can kill :P
We won't, surrender, nor will we bow down.

We refuse to follow your lead, and accept your orders.

Nor will we obey your rules, and do things your way.

We we will fight for our cause, and die for it with no regrets.

REBEL
Chanterla
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: the mad doctor.
Favorite Monster Type: troll

Post by Chanterla »

she has been translatd on redux for those who want to go see, and yes her look can kill, in a sense.
Haters gonna hate, hatters gonna hat, potatoes gonna potate.......I have no clue where I'm going with this.

Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor
Official Title: Pokémon Expert
Personal Title: Totally jannock fellow
Favorite Monster Type: Vulpine Waifu...

Post by Kaijin »

Kaijin wrote:I'm kinda curious and incredibly wary of seeing how this one turns out once translated, this one has actually lots of potential... but European myth/lore entries almost never come off well once implemented.
And sadly this one is no exception.

This entry has barely any mythological value behind: Yes it mentions her gaze but has an incredibly liberal and inaccurate interpretation behind it (venom was never associated with her gaze at all, but her breath instead), no mention of her being regal among snakefolk, no actual weakness shown (and the myth behind this entry has quite a few weaknesses that could have been interesting to port like her enmity with weasels (specially since we have one of those in the encyclopedia) or the weakness to their own gaze (if a basilisk gets it gaze reflected back at her it dies like basically anyone else).

And I don't count the last paragraph as weakness (basically because it isn't and in the case it were it wouldn't help you to escape/survive the encounter with a single one)... nor her supposed lack of control on her own skills (it would be regarded more like a temporal hindrance rather than a weakness since it doesn't stop her to use her gaze effectively if/when needed).

Not to mention that this one is actually quite the broken entry, since there's no way to counter her skill nor revert the effects once exposed to her and she has no real weaknesses to exploit.
As for the girl herself... I can't comment much on it, since the profile actually doesn't allow me to. The profile is way too focused on the gimmick than overshadows any kind of development on the character herself... like it happened to other entries like the Kejourou for instance.

I can't say I'm disappointed since I never had great expectations on this one to begin with, but it feels like a waste of potential.
Anyway... looking at the bright side she's still quite the stunning piece of eye candy (pun not intended) and I can't wait to see any potential wave of fanarts she can get.
And Kaijin you are the "Perentie" of this place, IMO.
Feathers,August 16th, 2014
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: Incubus
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Perentie »

It should be noted that while those weaknesses aren't mentioned, they aren't excluded either. There is no reason to think its impossible to reflect her gaze back on herself for instance, though we don't know what effect it has on mamono mana as only the effects on human mana is mentioned. Still, the "muscles all relaxing and becoming unable to move" part would likely apply to other monsters and even herself.

Also, the myths vary as to how exactly the basilisk's gaze was deadly, only some linked it to its breath.

And the one weasel girl we have is mainly found in Zipangu, so mentioning her may be out of place.

<><><>

True, not much is said about the girl herself, but that can be justified to an extent by how they are described as recluses and very quiet.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

There is no reason to think its impossible to reflect her gaze back on herself for instance,
We already talked about this, didn't we?
Unless the artist himself states something into the matter to shed some light, anything said will be purely speculative stuff, fanon and thus pretty much pointless to debate over it because regardless of the conclusion met in the end would never be official nor canon.

.P.S.:
True, not much is said about the girl herself, but that can be justified to an extent by how they are described as recluses and very quiet.
Wrong.
You could say that about this one, but other entries like the Kejourou suffer from the same creative flaw and it's more than obvious that it doesn't apply whatsoever (since Kejourous are far from being quiet and reclusive creatures). Besides there are entries that are as reclusive as her or more (like for instance her cousin the Echidna) and are still better developed as a character.

No matter how you look at it, but it feels like the artist simply wanted to focus onto a new particular gimmick/fetish and used the character as a vessel to portray it (and thus halting any possible development on her because it didn't serve any purpose to him at all).
Animajunki123
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Baphomet lover
Favorite Monster Type: Baphomet.

Post by Animajunki123 »

Hi guys! this is anima here! so, I was reading over a lot of the profiles, and I was thinking to myself, ya know? a lot of these seem to be missing info that would make them super awesome, or just more interesting in general in my opinion.

So, I decided to make something that might help with that!

Welcome to Anima's Profile Upgrades!

Here, we take it on ourselves to find the things we like about the profile and talk about it, we then take any information we think might improve the profile and deem to add it in of our own volition, maybe improving them or degrading them depending on how you like your profiles!

However! I would like to point out that anything I write about is mostly my opinion, so it's subject to change, and anything that I deem to add is in fact,

NOT

CANON

This is just my own idea and in no way shape or form reflects the thoughts of Kenkou Cross, who has given us permission to do what we like with his setting... within reason.

anyway, I thought we would start this lil' project of mine off with the newest girl!

The Basilisk!

So far, in terms of MG’s, the basilisk has proven itself to me as an overly shy type; a Dandere if you will. However, she’s still a monster, so she still does have the need to copulate with men. However, we don’t exactly know how vicious she is in regards to that, so for safety sake, I would say at about lamia levels of clinginess. She also doesn’t seem to have the jealousy issue like her other snake brethren, which points it more toward the dandere side of things. The only issue I really have with her is a serious lack of portrayal of weakness’s, though I’m sure KC would want others to think of those on his own. So! Let’s get to what I think her current ratings are.

Danger rating: Ho-boy howdy. 9/10. Her gaze downright makes a guy so horny, it’s almost dangerous for them. I mean seriously, your mana is infected by her venom so badly you need it sucked out. All of it, not just a bit, but all of it. It’s like, one second your minding your own business, walking through the woods with nothing in particular in mind, next your overpowered with a feeling of lust so strong that the feeling of the fabric of your scratchy pants feels so good you’re jizzing yourself white. However, the reason she isn’t a straight up 10 in my book is due to the fact that she goes out of her way to avoid men in general, so reduction due to not being dangerous on principle. However, her monster instinct is still there…

Sexual rating: 7/10 for me, mostly cause I love shy girls, but one of the problems for me is I don’t really have a lot of info in regards to how she acts normally. We know she’s shy towards men, but what about woman? Other Mamono? We don’t know for certain, but I can guess she might be less inclined to avoid woman and Mamono rather than men. However, her shyness factor, and due to the fact she does badly against men if her mask stays on, makes her a big hit for me. She still has monster instincts, but they only seem to come out if she looks at a man directly, other than that, it seems she gets weak in the coils should a guy show up.

Added info: Ho-boy howdy… there seems to be a lot missing in comparison to her mythological counterpart, though I do have to say the optical venom beam is a nice touch for her. But, let’s just add a bit to her in regards to her legend shall we, might make her more delicious.

The basilisk wears a mask not only to block its eyes from viewing men, but also to stay away from reflective surfaces like mirrors or bodies of water. A basilisk’s gaze is very powerful towards Humans, and though it’s not quite as potent towards Mamono, the Basilisk is not immune to its own visual effects. Should she happen to have the (mis)fortune to gaze at herself, she would be filled with lust beyond compare, her body wracked with her own sexually deadly venom. In this state, she would find herself helpless against the effects of a man approaches, only enhanced by the effects of her venom. Longing to be cured from her own effects, she would desperately, and instinctively, seek out a man to help her. Woo be to any man who meets her gaze like this, as he would find himself longing to ravish the unprotected body of the weak serpent before him. The effects of the venom would begin to diminish with each thrust of a man’s sexual organ, until eventually removed by a man’s ejaculation, and only to be filed with a new type of ‘poison’.

Another thing of note is that, though they are of varying varieties, a cockatrice is oddly immune to the gaze of a Basilisk, so it is not odd to see both recluses to be fond of each other, even being friends. Sadly, due to the cockatrice’s very potent Pheromones, a man would end up chasing her, and should she flee to the home of her friend, be doubly poisoned by a stunned basilisk.

Oddly enough, another creature that finds itself totally immune to the effects of a Basilisk’s gaze would be any kind of weasel based mamono. In fact, any mamono like this would find the gaze perhaps cute, and would seek to perhaps befriend or sexually torment the basilisk depending on the mamono gazed upon.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Not a bad looking lamia, I like the colors as well, I use them a lot. :) That mask is (in my opinion) kind of ugly though.
TheShadoek
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Kuudere and One-eyed lover
Favorite Monster Type: Gazer, Golem, Cyclops, Chochin

Post by TheShadoek »

And here i am, wondering how do they live their everyday lives... I mean, shit. They are condemned to be blind due to their own urges and powers... Now imagine if there is a Basilisk without a mask that has never learned the effects of her eyes on living beings...
Kaijin wrote:No matter how you look at it, but it feels like the artist simply wanted to focus onto a new particular gimmick/fetish and used the character as a vessel to portray it (and thus halting any possible development on her because it didn't serve any purpose to him at all).
I would love to make an argument regarding the possibility that her personality was left open in order to make them better to fantasize about, but... Yeah, the bits of personality thrown halfway into the profile suggest otherwise. And the disposition is no help either... Actually... Why is her disposition noted as Cool but the two/three profile traits that it has are anything but that?
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

TheShadoek wrote:And here i am, wondering how do they live their everyday lives... I mean, shit. They are condemned to be blind due to their own urges and powers... Now imagine if there is a Basilisk without a mask that has never learned the effects of her eyes on living beings...
How would that even be possible? Assuming it works on animals and such (and we know from the medusa profile that eye powers do work on animals, as they use their petrification ability to hunt for food) there is no way even a orphan basilisk could grow up not knowing about what her eyes do.

Regardless, they can still remove the mask without worry when they are completely alone, and even with the mask they can still "see" via sensing heat and magical energies.

Its further noted that they can't control the power of their eyes "very well" which indicates they can learn some degree of control.
I would love to make an argument regarding the possibility that her personality was left open in order to make them better to fantasize about, but... Yeah, the bits of personality thrown halfway into the profile suggest otherwise. And the disposition is no help either... Actually... Why is her disposition noted as Cool but the two/three profile traits that it has are anything but that?
What do you mean? The start of the profile describes them as docile and quiet, which is in keeping with their "cool" disposition given one of the definitions of "cool" is referring to someone who is calm and good at keeping their composure. It basically means they are composed and not overly emotional so long as they keep their mask on and don't look at a man.
TheShadoek
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by TheShadoek »

Perentie wrote: How would that even be possible? Assuming it works on animals and such (and we know from the medusa profile that eye powers do work on animals, as they use their petrification ability to hunt for food) there is no way even a orphan basilisk could grow up not knowing about what her eyes do.
Don't underestimate ignorance. An orphan Basilisk, that has lived alone most if not all of her life, will realize that everything she comes close to suffers from something, but she may not know what that something is nor pinpoint what triggers it.
What do you mean? The start of the profile describes them as docile and quiet, which is in keeping with their "cool" disposition given one of the definitions of "cool" is referring to someone who is calm and good at keeping their composure. It basically means they are composed and not overly emotional so long as they keep their mask on and don't look at a man.
You realize that the statement you wrote is the equivalent of: "Yes, but not really." Right?

The profile notes them as calm and docile, but the traits explained are not proper of such disposition.
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

TheShadoek wrote:Don't underestimate ignorance. An orphan Basilisk, that has lived alone most if not all of her life, will realize that everything she comes close to suffers from something, but she may not know what that something is nor pinpoint what triggers it.
Still seems unlikely, especially given how one can presume her eyes glow with the same light that emits from her genitals and beneath her breasts. She'd surely note that other creatures don't have this glow and would draw conclusions from that.
The profile notes them as calm and docile, but the traits explained are not proper of such disposition.
You mean what happens when she looks directly at a man? Its not like that is indicative of general behavior or personality. That they go wild under that situation doesn't make their usual personality any more false than the calm and gentle nature of the holstaur (who likewise can become ferocious under certain situations, namely looking at red for too long or being denied sex for too long).

That their ferocious side is not mentioned in the "disposition" line is simply due to how they rarely show that side of themselves.

The tone of the Wandering Scholar's profiles is largely meant to describe the potential dangers of the monster he is making a profile for (assuming there is any danger to describe). So it makes sense from that perspective that he spends a lot of time talking about what her gaze does, since otherwise the basilisk are very inoffensive by nature.
SIERRA-116
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: MCPO Jason-116
Favorite Monster Type: Snakes, slimes, Alraunes, bugs
Location: Installation 05 "Green Zone" (Codename: Delta Halo GZ)

Post by SIERRA-116 »

Monster instincts perhaps? They've been stated as being extremely in depth and ingrained.
To find him, you must forget the stories...

Forget the legends...

You have to do more than walk in his footsteps...

For he is more than the sum of his actions...

I tell you this, not because I trust you...

But because all our lives are at stake...

Because the seeds of our future... are sown in his past...
TheShadoek
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by TheShadoek »

Perentie wrote:Still seems unlikely, especially given how one can presume her eyes glow with the same light that emits from her genitals and beneath her breasts. She'd surely note that other creatures don't have this glow and would draw conclusions from that.
Seriously... Don't underestimate ignorance. Like there are humans that believe vaccination is hazardous, in modern society. There can be Basilisks who just don't know how their powers work.
You mean what happens when she looks directly at a man? Its not like that is indicative of general behavior or personality. That they go wild under that situation doesn't make their usual personality any more false than the calm and gentle nature of the holstaur (who likewise can become ferocious under certain situations, namely looking at red for too long or being denied sex for too long).

Yes it is.

The case cannot be compared to a holstaur being neglected or her staring at red for a prolonged time, because that is something triggered under certain circumstances. Rather, i would compare it to the weresheep and their wool mellowing down their wild nature, since the use or wearing of something is what prevents it to happen. Take off a Basilik's mask and she'll turn assertive.
That their ferocious side is not mentioned in the "disposition" line is simply due to how they rarely show that side of themselves.
Which is pretty unfortunate, considering some profiles do have listed their split dispositions no matter how small they are.
The tone of the Wandering Scholar's profiles is largely meant to describe the potential dangers of the monster he is making a profile for (assuming there is any danger to describe). So it makes sense from that perspective that he spends a lot of time talking about what her gaze does, since otherwise the basilisk are very inoffensive by nature.

As much as any aggressive monster is innofensive. Perhaps the same as lamias are, since whithout the gaze they would not need the mask, and just run amok.
Its further noted that they can't control the power of their eyes "very well" which indicates they can learn some degree of control.
Also, i double checked. And the profile states that they cannot control their evil eyes. Nowhere does it specify is this refers to the power of their eyes or the gaze itself. Though you would think that if they use a restrictive device robbing them off their sighting that any control they can eject over it is absolutely meaningless.
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

TheShadoek wrote:Seriously... Don't underestimate ignorance. Like there are humans that believe vaccination is hazardous, in modern society. There can be Basilisks who just don't know how their powers work.
That is not so much ignorance as choosing to believe in conspiracies as far as I am aware. To be a direct comparison a basilisk would have to be told how her eyes work and then refuse to believe it/come up with some other explanation, not be utterly ignorant of it. But I'm nit picking here so my apologies.
The case cannot be compared to a holstaur being neglected or her staring at red for a prolonged time, because that is something triggered under certain circumstances. Rather, i would compare it to the weresheep and their wool mellowing down their wild nature, since the use or wearing of something is what prevents it to happen. Take off a Basilik's mask and she'll turn assertive.
Only if she directly looks at a man, that is when her desires take over, which counts as "certain circumstances". Otherwise her personality stays the same with the mask off.
Which is pretty unfortunate, considering some profiles do have listed their split dispositions no matter how small they are.
Mind giving an example? All the ones I can think of (like the dragon and weresheep) refer to ones where the alternate disposition can become a routine way of life (for instance dragons becoming meek rarely happens but when it does said dragon would behave that way a lot, not rarely, and a weresheep becomes aggressive whenever she is sheared, which happens on a regular basis for any who wish to make use of their wool). In contrast even a married basilisk would rarely remove her mask and even more rarely use it on her mate (unless he asks for it I suppose).
As much as any aggressive monster is innofensive. Perhaps the same as lamias are, since whithout the gaze they would not need the mask, and just run amok.
I don't think we have any signs that lamias run amok. Most of them are a lot more subtle than that when it comes to getting men. Echidnas go to great lengths to get men to come to them or raise one as a hero over a number of years, medusas are recluses like basilisks (though not to the same extent as they will travel to find men), shirohebi are accepted members of human societies, and basic lamia either integrate into human societies and/or enchant men with their magical voices.
Also, i double checked. And the profile states that they cannot control their evil eyes. Nowhere does it specify is this refers to the power of their eyes or the gaze itself. Though you would think that if they use a restrictive device robbing them off their sighting that any control they can eject over it is absolutely meaningless.
You may want to check again then. The first mention regarding control of their evil eyes (evil eyes being a reference to their power, it even says "powerful evil eyes") says "they can't control them too well."

The second mention regarding control states "even if they can't control the power of their eyes" again the "if" indicating some control is possible.

Presumably they can learn some degree of control but either most find it too difficult or even once that minor control is achieved it takes too much effort to maintain it for lengthy periods so wearing the mask is still necessary for convenience if nothing else.

And again, being able to sense heat and magic means they are far from blind, hence wearing a mask a lot of the time is presumably not a big deal to them.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Can you imagine if they profiled "Human" and all the monsters based all their opinions off of just that one profile? It probably wouldn't be pretty! Humans can be selfish, vindictive, destructive, cruel, or kind, caring, creative, etc. That's why I just think the profiles are useless in MGE, they try to cover an entire race of intelligent beings with one page of stuff. Pokémon is smart about their monsters, because they have varying personality types. Digimon also has different types. MGE profiles still continue to disappoint me because of their narrowness.

I don't know, I'm just bored at the moment and decided to post! Don't waste your time pondering on my pointless minority opinions. ^^; Toodles.
Flare
Sun
Sun
Official Title: Gallery Mod
Personal Title: Firey snakey girl

Post by Flare »

Yeah, it's why I never fill out "Personality" on character sheets. It's a very fluid thing after all.
"Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone." -A Thousand Sons (book)

Be sure to visit the gallery! We got lotsa pics!
Jinouga87
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: Protector of Lolis

Post by Jinouga87 »

Flare wrote:Yeah, it's why I never fill out "Personality" on character sheets. It's a very fluid thing after all.
I never do that on F-List profiles I make.
Animajunki123
High Priestess
High Priestess
Personal Title: Baphomet lover
Favorite Monster Type: Baphomet.

Post by Animajunki123 »

I tend to agree with the statement that the 'personality' bit of the profile seems somewhat useless. However, I do tend to use it as a guideline for what to expect out of a particular type of MG, but I don't religiously believe that to be the only personality type to go with. Heck, you could have a super cute, fun and active basilisk who likes to just move her body all around.... if ya know what I mean :perv:
Perentie
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Perentie »

Feathers wrote:Can you imagine if they profiled "Human" and all the monsters based all their opinions off of just that one profile? It probably wouldn't be pretty! Humans can be selfish, vindictive, destructive, cruel, or kind, caring, creative, etc. That's why I just think the profiles are useless in MGE, they try to cover an entire race of intelligent beings with one page of stuff. Pokémon is smart about their monsters, because they have varying personality types. Digimon also has different types. MGE profiles still continue to disappoint me because of their narrowness.
Beyond being lustful a number of profiles note a given race of monster as having personalities that are as variable as humans (witch, lilim succubus and such), and it is also clear in the setting that monsterized humans can have personalities rather different from typical monsters of the race they are transformed into (it might be most accurate to say the two influence each other).

In general though the justification for the general disposition of a given monster race is that they are more instinctual than humans and that those instincts effect their disposition in various ways. Every individual has its own quirks, but in general (i.e. there are usually exceptions) they will have certain things in common just like certain personality traits are considered normal for certain breeds of dog or species of snake kept as pets.

Besides, the MGE is meant to mimic profiles given for various monster races in rpg games, which by and large do give fairly narrow descriptions for the sake of space and the fact that the creatures being described are not human.

Lastly, the term the profiles use "disposition" (inherent qualities of mind and character) and the term we are discussing "personality" (the particular combination of characteristics that form a individual's character) are not necessarily the same thing (though there is a lot of overlap). One might say many monsters have inherent dispositions, but the personalities that develop from those are quite varied. In turn it is up to the reader to use the described disposition as a baseline to develop the particular personality.

For instance, two basilisks may both be quiet and reclusive as is their common disposition. But one may be quite stoic while the other may have a sarcastic sense of humor. One may be the sort to hold hands as a preferred gesture of reassurance, another may prefer to wrap her tail around someone for security. You can fit a lot of variation within most of the described dispositions. :info:

<><><>

Since you mentioned pokemon, I'll note many of them are the same way. Certain species are noted for being generally proud, aggressive, or stubborn for instance, just how that is displayed can still vary of course.
Kaijin
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kaijin »

Since you mentioned pokemon, I'll note many of them are the same way. Certain species are noted for being generally proud, aggressive, or stubborn for instance, just how that is displayed can still vary of course.
This k̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ definitely off topic on my behalf, but since you guys brought that up on your own...
Pokémon actually have a very well thought off concept of personality and uniqueness ingame:

-The natures do not only serve to determine the best and worst stats of a pokémon (who could make it more useful or screw it over... specially on competitve gaming) but also tells you what it likes to eat (which in turn can affect its development depending on how you feed the critter).
-Each Pokémon gets an innate set of numerical values on each of its stats known as IVs that act as the Pokémon's genes, will determine the pokémon stats and tell you about its characterstic/personality (a pokémon with IV value of 31 in speed will be "alert to sounds" while another with an IV of 29 in the same stat will be "quick to flee").
-There are atributes known as EV that give bonuses to the pokémon stats depending on how you raise them (which pokémon you defeat with it, which (and how many) meds you've gave it, which super training regime you made it go through) that clearly alter the pokémon's development.

All in all... a pretty complex system (which I simplified a lot) which states that each and every pokémon is a matter of fact unique.

It's pretty much clear that despite what the disposition shows in every entry, the members of each race will have different traits, quirks and personalities to give them a sense of uniqueness.
The entries should be regarded as a (extremly biased) referrence and nothing else as it suposedly serve as v̶e̶r̶y̶ extremely basic guidelines of the monster in question.

It's true that a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ a ton of entries could definitely need a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ a ton of more descriptive effort from the author (quite a handful of them are so focused on the fetish behind then entry rather than the entry herself to the point we barely not anything of the girl herself), but still... they serve their purpose m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ from time to time.