Setting and tone for Daughters of Pandora

Poll's over, and I've made my decision!

A place where people can create and share their own monsters and world settings.
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Tokusatsu Mastermind!
Favorite Monster Type: Kaiju

Setting and tone for Daughters of Pandora

Post by AdventDestiny »

Another desperate message request for help, because I'm really stuck at the moment! I've begun working on both the style and tone I want for Daughters of Pandora, the problem being I can't decide on what tone the series should be. That's why I started a poll, in the hope that at the very least I could get an idea of which of the three styles I'm considering proves the most popular here [I'm also going to start this pole on Monster Girl Unlimited, and will combine the results for both to decide on which style is the most likely to be accepted by the communities in general].

For those who don't know, Daughters of Pandora will be an original monster girl story that is inspired by Survival Horror games, with the monster girls, known as The Daughters, being based off of various enemy archetypes found in many of games in the Survival Horror Genre. The main question that's been driving me nuts is trying to find a plausible reason WHY the characters are supposed to be running away from a bunch of sexy humanoid women? The three answers I came up with are;

The True Horror approach; The Daughters are true monsters, and behave as such, doing their best to kill the characters in the story. This obviously is the darkest of my three concepts, and one that I would consider the most realistic.

The Black Comedy approach; The Daughters aren't really trying to hurt people, but they're nymphos that ultimately don't know their own strength, and end up "loving" their victims to death. This idea was loosely inspired by classic myths of mermaids, and I consider this a comfortable balance between a traditional horror story and...

The Just Comedy approach; The Daughters don't really hurt anyone, but they are so possessive that they'll never let go of their victims. The most classic concept, much more in line with the original Monster Girl Encyclopedia, and is obviously the most stylized of the three approaches.

So at the very least feel free to vote for which of the three you prefer, and feel free to ask questions or suggest alternitives!
Last edited by AdventDestiny on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

Ishirō Honda, director of the original Godzilla film
Pierce
Judgement
Judgement
Official Title: Overseer
Personal Title: Chapter Master
Favorite Monster Type: Kejourou
Location: A small town that worships a carrotman named "Gwilly"

Re: Setting and tone for Daughters of Pandora; Help Needed!

Post by Pierce »

Black Comedy, just cause I lean towards laughter with alot of mishap. And since you're using "Pandora" for a premise or theme, I certainly expect some degree of "hope" somewhere in the conclusion.
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Re: Setting and tone for Daughters of Pandora; Help Needed!

Post by AdventDestiny »

I always hated those movies or games where everybody dies in the end, so there will definitely be a positive ending... with room for sequels, of course! :goodjob:
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Re: Setting and tone for Daughters of Pandora

Post by AdventDestiny »

Well, with a vote of 6 in favor for Just Comedy, and 1 in favor for Black Comedy, it seems clear what the community here wants a type of monster girl story that doesn't take itself too seriously, and I'm actually inclined to agree; I think I much prefer a series where it's more funny than serious, and though it's okay for a little drama to be present, making the story a life and death struggle probably isn't the way to go here.

So I'm stearing away from the original concept of Survival Horror, and just sticking with a survival comedy, meant to reference and parody aspects of the survival horror genre. Truth is, I planned Daughters of Pandora being more like Jurassic Park than Silent Hill or Resident Evil, because I never wanted to villify the Daughters, I wanted them to be wild and natural, something you'd only really need to be afraid of if antagonized.

In addition, I'm also planning on getting to work one two other expansions to Daughters of Pandora; the first will be a more traditional survival horror scenario involving a haunted brothel inhabited by ghosts, zombies, and demons, which will ultimately be in the same tone as Daughters of Pandora. I've also quite eager to create a original monster girl story inspired by the Japanese Kaiju film genre! While I'm at it, I'm also planning on restarting a dormat fan-fiction project I had, Daikaiju Academy: ReEmergence, meant to be a reimaging and tribute to the classic Kaiju Girls, in the style of the popular Marvel's Avengers films!