Daughters of Pandora: A Field Guide

Finally, something I'm eager to create, hope there are other people who are eager to help!

A place where people can create and share their own monsters and world settings.
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Tokusatsu Mastermind!
Favorite Monster Type: Kaiju

Daughters of Pandora: A Field Guide

Post by AdventDestiny »

EDIT: My first take on a full monster girl bio, the Jungle Nymph, has been posted.

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything around here, probably longer since I last posted anything related to my original Monster Girl setting, Daughters of Pandora [I'm honestly surprised my last couple of topics are still on the first page of this thread].

I have been going back and forth on the concept, unable to settle on what I wanted to do with it... until now. Finally, I have something that I feel can work, a theme that'll keep me focused on moving forward. I now know what kind of story I want, but before I can write the story, I need the world it's set in, which has been the hardest thing for me to figure out. I took a couple steps back, looked at what made the original monster girl setting, the Monster Girl Encyclopedia, popular enough for a small online community to form around, and finally having the realization of what I really wanted to do...

Write a field guide!

That's the primary goal I've set myself, and I'm not just talking about writing profiles, I want to write an actual book, one that explores the island and it's unique ecosystem, in addition to a wide diversity of monster girl species and subspecies. I want to do a new take on monster girls, one that explores a sexualized reflection of nature, versus the fantasy Monster Manual approach that Kenkou Cross took.

The biggest source of inspiration for this new direction, and the format that I would love to build this world from, is this book, my favorite book of all time!

This book brings the extraordinary world of 2005's King Kong to life, revealing a whole variety of strange and frightening creatures that we never even saw in the movie, a testament to the amount of work went into the creation of a fantastical ecosystem. This book made the world of Skull Island feel as though it really could have existed, and that level of depth is what I want to capture in creating this book. Of course, I am taking into account that the world of the movie was created by a talented time of conceptual artists and writers, which probably took at least a year to do, something I'm not so sure I can do on my own, though that won't stop me from trying! [And I hope to maybe get some other people interested in helping out onboard, though ultimately I doubt there are that many people interested in this unusual concept, even fewer in any position to help.]

To that end, I've already started out with an idea of what this mysterious island will look like, and the ecosystems that can be found there. This is a simple map, currently a work in progress;

The grey outline represents a rocky cliff that encompasses the island, save for the few open beaches and estuary inlets; the greyed out formations around the island are barren outcroppings of stone, while the larger white formations are what I consider micro-islands, big enough to actually support miniature ecosystems themselves. All those black markings forming the semi circle on the southeastern side of the island is what I'm currently calling The Blue Reef, a jagged mass hidden just below the surface, a natural trap that often sinks any ships which approach the seemingly open coast on that corner of the island.

I want the design of the island to be like a prison hidden within paradise, a reflection of the hidden challenge of this world, one where the traditional system of nature, "Eat or be Eaten", has been superseded by the law of "Fuck or be Fucked". Just as Weta Workshop build the world of Skull Island off of nature, both prehistoric and modern, I want to build the ecosystem of Pandora Island to emulate what we see in real-life ecosystems... to an extent.

Pandora Island, roughly 100 by 70 square miles in diameter [currently, may change as I get a better idea of the amount of space necessary to properly maintain a complex ecosystem], is itself unusual in three ways; Firstly, it sits on an otherwise barren and flat region of the Pacific Ocean, supported on a pillar of stone 4,200 meters in height. The pillar itself is completely hollow, with sizeable fractures on the outside leading down, right to the base, where there is a hole that goes below the sea floor, possibly further than anywhere else on Earth. Secondly, there are a multitude of biomes present on the island, ranging from tropical jungles, humid swamps, temperate forests, an arid desert, and even a sub-arctic tundra. All of these biomes exist side by side, with little crossover or transition. Finally, the island possesses a large and active volcano, something that should be impossible, considering the fact that the island is completely isolated from the Earth's mantle.

On this island, the monster girls have no natural predators, nor do they actively hunt and kill each other; there are obviously lots of plants to eat, and the island has a variety insects, birds, fish, reptiles, and small rodents, nothing truly special or unique. These represent the primary sources of food for the monster girls [though I may consider creating some species of monster girls that do feed on other monster girls or people, just to provide some true threats to the characters in the story]

The traditional Food Chain, or more accurately the Food Web, is built around a complex interaction of different species. There are the Decomposers, who break down the remains of dead organisms, the Producers, the plants that grow from the recycled nutrients left by the Decomposers, the Primary Consumers who feed off of the plants, the Secondary Consumers that feed off of both the plants and some of the Primary Consumers, the Tertiary Consumers who eat the Primary and Secondary Consumers, and finally the Quaternary Consumers, the alpha organisms who reside on the top of their ecosystem's Food Chain.

While the island has a Food Web of its own, one with the monster girls filling the role of the Quaternary Consumers, the monster girls themselves have what could be called a "Reproductive Web". For each species [save for the unusual species that has their own unique reproductive system], there exists a mixed ratio of Pure females and Transgender females. For many of the monster girls that fill the role of Prey-type organisms, they tend to have larger populations, made up of mostly Pure females. For the Predator-types, they are much smaller in numbers, which are almost exclusively Transgender.

Whether it's cultural or instinctual, the Predator-type monster girls are driven hunt and impregnate the Prey-types, their genes being dominant. Everything on this island seems to exist for the purpose of rapid reproduction, which shouldn't be possible to maintain on such an isolated location as an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. A perplexing mystery... WARNING, if you want to wait and find out the secret when reading the book, then DON'T open this spoiler!
Spoiler: show
That can be explained in one simple paragraph; the island, and all of the monster girls living on it, were created by a group of aliens, who breed and sell the monster girls as mail-order brides across the galaxy. They send automated drones to the island to collect the majority of any species that's population has risen too high for the ecosystem to maintain, therefore insuring balance on what should be a very erratic ecology. As ridiculous and stupid as this sounds, it's ironically the only thing I could come up with that makes sense, really!
Obviously, I have to begin by establishing the exact nature of the island, including both the various ecosystems and landmark regions; there are at least two groups of human's stranded on the island, survivors of previous shipwrecks. One is a small town, which they had to move to one of the neighboring micro-islands, after being pushed off of the mainland by increasing Predator-type monster girl aggression [they aren't too picky on what they stick their dongs in, let's leave it at that!]. The second will be more of a crazy cult, which hides itself in a series of underground passages in the volcano, where they've set up a village around the Abyss, a large flooded hole in the ground that leads straight through the island, down through the hollow interior of the pillar supporting Pandora Island, home to the strangest, vaguely Lovecraftian species of monster girls.
This is the list, something I'd appreciate some feedback on in order to further refine;

The Coast: The Blue Reef, The Beach, The Coastal Cliffs, The Offshore Outcroppings, The Micro-Islands, The Town.

The Great River: Estuaries A, B, and C, The Lake, The Inland Islands, The River Shores.

The Dead Woods: The Ruins over the Sea.

The Lowlands: Swamps A and B, The Wetlands, The Jungle, The Forest, The Grasslands, The Abandoned Settlement, The Farmland, The Taiga Border.

The Volcano: Mountain Tundra, Subterranean Caves, The Abyss, The Volcano Rim, The Lava Flows.

The Volcanic Desert: The Obsidian Coast, The Hot Springs.

The Beach is that large open patch, encircled by the Blue Reef I already mentioned, but aside from that I decided to keep the map blank, and fill it in as I work out the various positions and relations of the locales. Feel free to post any questions or suggestions in the meantime. I plan on trying to get this done soon, so that I can get started on the real fun part, the creation of a whole lot of monster girls!
Last edited by AdventDestiny on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

Ishirō Honda, director of the original Godzilla film
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Re: Daughters of Pandora: The Field Guide to Pandora Island

Post by AdventDestiny »

I know what you're thinking, what's with the change from digital to traditional, not to mention the change in design? Well, after buying a book on Earth ecology, I realized that my spectacular Pandora Island wasn't quite as spectacular as I first thought, leading to me studying the maps of Skull Island in The World of Kong, then referencing the book on real world ecosystems to create a much more stable and natural feeling Pandora.

I pretty much quadrupled the size of the Island, realizing that the original design was to small. I reorganized the ecosystem positions, focusing on even but non-uniform distribution, nerfing a couple things like the twin swamps and The Dead Forest. The volcano has been expanded by a small range of neighboring mountains, while the lowland grassy plains [light green] are arranged around the base of the mountains, transitioning into the neighboring temperate forest [dark green], and the tropical jungle [dark green and brown] that covers most of the island now.

The white on the volcano itself represents snow, which is the result of often freezing temperatures due to the sun being blocked out by a semi-permanent cloud of ash hovering over the volcanic rim. Lava flow along the western side has turned that section of the island into an arid wasteland; almost no plants grow there because of the heat and toxic fumes, resulting in rapid desertification [real word] of the earth in that region.

The Blue Reef has been expanded in size, and will support a massive aquatic ecosystem of it's own. I've also added a neighboring set of micro islands, the water separating them shallow enough that you can see the bottom, something I was inspired to add after seeing a beautiful picture in the ecology book I mentioned earlier. The Blue Reef now guards several open beaches. The big blue area on the island labeled The Lake is the largest body of freshwater, while the other blue spots represent smaller lakes and swamps, the long curving blue lines being winding rivers. Purple points along the edges of the map are estuaries, places where fresh and salt water meet.

As of this writing, I've decided to call this design of the island finalized, though I may edit it in the future. Naturally, I'm quite eager to get started in creating the diverse species of monstrous beauties that call this island home! I'm sure everyone else here is much more interested in monster girls than ecology lessons, so I'll try and not keep you guys waiting! :D

PS: Sorry about that section of the map being cut off, I don't know why the image doesn't want to fit, it worked fine on MGU!
“Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy.They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them.”

One2ManyJenny
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: None
Favorite Monster Type: Demons, Mermaids, Nagas, Satyr

Post by One2ManyJenny »

Wow, this project would be great if you manage to pull it off! I love this kind of field guide stuff!

Would the monster girls be very tribal in appearance? I think it would be really cool if there were different tribes even between the same species, eg differnt clans of mermaids each with slightly different outfits and customs.

Good luck, it's a really cool idea!
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Thanks for the approval, I also really, really hope I can get this off the ground, and soon!

To answer your question, when I started this, I imagined the monster girls as being wild, like feral children; no culture or sign of civilization, they would be essentially wild animals, governed by instincts. But after talking to a veteran monster girl fan on Monster Girl Unlimited, who felt that a key defining trait for a monster girl is self awareness, it has made me reconsider my old concept...

Short answer, yes I plan for there to be a number of tribal elements in the various monster girl species; mostly dependent on the species, some are nomadic, a few are really unintelligent, some are parasitic... the skies the only limit, that and what I've seen in nature, which can spit out some real crazy critters.

Since I'm writing at the moment, I also feel I should give a hint to a new major development in Daughters of Pandora.

Let's just say for now, that Pandora Island may not be the only island inhabited my monster girls... :what!?:

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

A little new development, sorry for the lack of advanced warning! This was a recent upgrade to the previous idea of an island of monster girls, which is now an island chain of monster girls! This was inspired by some of my research of islands, the majority of the ones that aren't an extension of a continent tending to be formed by volcanic activity, which has a habit of forming chains of islands as the tectonic plate below moves along.

The original island [not sure what to call it now] will remain mostly unchanged, ecology wise, save for the elements involving the hollowed out support pillar and the self sustaining volcano, though the former concept has been preserved in the creation of the much larger abyssal zone at the center of the map.

While this may be a considerable expansion to my original concept, I'm still going to focus most of my attention on the original island, working my way through the rest of the archipelago, whenever inspiration strikes!

One2ManyJenny
Magician
Magician

Re: Daughters of Pandora: The Field Guide

Post by One2ManyJenny »

I really like the idea of an archipelago! It would allow to explore lot's of different cool stuff with different environments and ecosystems, without it all getting too silly~
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

Exactly my thought, I wanted originally a much wider diversity of ecosystems on the island, but it was just too small to support that many, not to mention the island would have to be the size of a large continent to have varying temperate zones. The position of the archipelago is in between the equator and the south of the pacific ocean [best place I could decide to put a chain of undiscovered islands]. The northern most islands, which are also the youngest, are warm tropical islands, while the southern most islands are so cold they are regularly engulfed in small glaciers.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

The Daughters [Order Lillikaria]

A foreign species not native to Earth, the Lillikaria, collectively known as Daughters or Monster Girls, can be found exclusively on an isolated chain of south pacific islands, the Pandora Archipelago. Though part of their own domain, the Daughters visually combine aspects of human and animal or plant physiology, presumed to be a massive case of Analogy, the convergent evolution of similar physical traits and behaviors in otherwise unrelated species.

A defining trait of the Lillikaria is the ability to successfully mate with other interconnected species, regardless of their relative position along the Lillikaria evolutionary tree. Though all Daughters, as the name obviously implies, are female, a number can be born with reproductive organs that function the same as the male reproductive system of most species.

Many species of Daughter can be divided into two broad niches, predators and prey; Prey-Types are primarily pure female, but their higher population count insures that a small number of them will be born transgender, insuring the continued reproduction of their species. Predator-Types, on the other hand, are almost exclusively transgender, the rarity of pure female members of the species necessitating the pursuit and impregnation of other species, primarily of the Prey-Types. The genes of the transgender individual are almost always dominant, though some more specialized species of Daughter do not follow this system of reproduction.

Life on the Pandora Archipelago is tied together by and intricate 'reproductive web', every species having a unique niche to fill in the various ecosystems. Strangely, there appears to be little to no true predation amongst the Daughters; though there are some predators capable of posing a threat to many species of Daughter [some being of the Lillikaria order themselves, others being foreign species native to neighboring islands or continents], there is no way these few predators could control the runaway reproduction rate of the majority of the Daughter races.

Though most species of Daughters reproduce at a frightening pace, the population of the various islands has remained relatively even, rarely ever fluctuating beyond its previous size... whenever any one species' population begins to exceed the capacity of their environment to maintain, a large majority of that species will simply disappear; there is never any indication of predation, death by disease or old age, they simply vanish. It is as though some outside, possibly artificial, force is at work, maintaining the balance of an extremely unusual ecosystem.

However it is done, life on the Pandora Archipelago appears not to have changed for thousands of years, an extraordinary and strangely erotic lost world, both paradise and nightmare for any man who steps foot upon those mysterious shores, home to the Daughters of Pandora.

A more or less complete introduction into the nature of my setting, and the tone that I hope to convey in the field guide. Right now I'm not too worried about the full scientific details, like the various branches of the evolutionary tree I mentioned. What I'm still working on is how I want the profile pages for the monster girls to look like; I'm referencing several fantasy field guides I own, including the World of Kong, which serves as the strongest inspiration for the design I want for my own work.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

EDIT: Reworked the original drawing, trying to make it more visible, but still had to trace over it on the computer.

Finally, the first in what I hope will be a wide diversity of monster girls to inhabit my original setting! This is a conceptual sketch for the Jungle Nymph [Femina Tropicanus, or Woman of the Tropics], one example of a collective species found throughout the various ecosystems of the Pandora Archipelago, the Jungle Nymph is an agile and elusive arboreal beauty.

This sketch was part of a test design for a format of the book, which I'm trying to model off of the example of other fantastical field guides I've seen before. Unfortunately, the quality of the original picture wasn't preserved, requiring me to actually trace over it to just to make her properly visible. So instead of the two page image [the right hand page would have had the majority of text information, along with a few more thumbnail sketches], I just stuck with the pin-up pic.

Based off of this experience, I'm quite certain that for anything I actually design, it'll have to be on the computer for now on, because it's just too painful of a process making a perfectly good drawing on paper, only to lose 75% of the quality during the scanning process [which may have to do with my change from a 2B to HB pencil], and there's no way I can fit small thumbnails with any decent detail on a single page, which means I'll end up making larger pics, than shrinking and pasting them into the main illustrations.

This may or may not turn out to be a major project [my unrelated mainstream project, AdventDestiny, is a higher priority for me when it comes down to setting my mark in the world], and I've honestly considered the idea of commissioning more skilled artists to create finalized profile pictures and illustrations.
Last edited by AdventDestiny on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Re: Daughters of Pandora: Jungle Nymph

Post by AdventDestiny »

Jungle Nymph
Femina Tropicus [Woman of the Tropics]

Average Size: 5' 7'', 82 Lbs [Pure], 5' 9'', 101 Lbs [Transgender]

Role: Primary Consumer

Threat: Low.
Little personal defenses, but speed and agility can make pursuit difficult, or lead pursuers into a potentially harmful situation.

Description: Nymphs are one of the most common and diverse species of Daughter found throughout the Pandora Archipelago, many different subspecies having adapted to live in almost every known type of ecosystem. Elegant and shy beings, Nymphs possess little means of self defense, save for their great speed and agility, which they use to great effect to evade the many predatory Daughter species that try to exploit them.

The Jungle Nymph is an arboreal subspecies, perfectly suited to spend most of their lives in the trees. They are most often a blended mixture of dark greens and browns in color, with iridescent tan or emerald hair, which rarely grows past shoulder lengths. They may use simply braids or knots to tie their hair back, making it easier to navigate through their environment. They have large, bright brown or orange eyes, and possess excellent depth perception. They are always lithe and petite, possessing thin but strong limbs. Flexible metatarsals and extra finger joints enable them to easily clutch even the widest or slickest of branches, swinging from branch to branch with the efficiency of a primate. Sharp claws aid them in the climbing of trees, and serve as their only true means of defending themselves if cornered.

It can prove quite difficult telling Pure female and Transgender female Nymphs apart, a key element in their defensive strategy against forceful impregnation by predatory species. A slight increase in mass is the only reliable indication of a Transgender individual, something that is nearly impossible to gage while they're on the move. The reproductive organs of a Transgender Nymph remain concealed internally, much like the hemipenis of many reptiles and snakes, and is concealed within a small organic pouch, which very closely resembles the vulva of a Pure female.

Nymphs do not were clothing, aside from simple necklaces or bracelets, usually constructed from natural materials found in the jungle. These are usually gifts from successful courtships, one of the few direct sentimental actions observed between individuals. Possession of large numbers of these "engagement presents" is generally looked down upon by Jungle Nymphs, as it often implies that the owner of said gifts are 'easy'. Though they never make weapons or complex tools, Jungle Nymphs do use simple tools, like rocks to crack open thick shelled nuts, and simple bags woven from leaves and vines, used to carry water and food.

Diet: Jungle Nymphs are primarily herbivores, eating mostly fruits and nuts, though they have been known to supplement their diet with highly nutritious grubs, pried from under the bark of the trees Nymphs often climb. For the most part their teeth are very similar to ours, though the canines are noticeably larger, used to crack open small nuts, and aiding in self defense if caught. Nymphs are foragers, searching for food throughout the various ecological levels present in their jungle ecosystem. When a large amount of food is located in a single area, individuals will single the others with a whooping cry, and they will all collect a share of the spoils, taking what they can't eat in one sitting with them in their personal bags.

Behavior: Jungle Nymphs are a communal race, living in tribes of between 12 to 20 individuals, of which two or three individuals will most likely be Transgender in nature. Nymph culture is very simple, with all Nymphs considered equal, possessing no leaders or individuals of higher standing. Social bonds amongst individuals in the tribe are often maintained by recreational sex, though sexual interaction between pure and transgender individuals outside of breeding season are rare. It is not unheard of to witness an orgy of Nymphs, which can be a precursor to the beginning of breeding season for the tribe.
Jungle Nymphs are nomadic, remaining on the move, settling into secure knots in the trees to sleep, sometimes tying the branches above together to shield against wind or rainfall. Though Jungle Nymphs spend most of their time in the jungle canopy, they have no choice but to return to the ground to seek water, and most of their food supply is provided by the ripened fruits dropped onto the jungle floor.

It is at this time that Jungle Nymphs are most vulnerable. The highly flexible feet of the Jungle Nymph, an excellent tool for navigating through the canopies of their jungle home, proves a liability when caught on the ground. They Nymph's feet essentially has a trigger built into it, causing her feet and toes to snap shut whenever making hard contact with a small or rounded object. Though running across flat ground doesn't prove much a problem, skipping over something like a fallen tree trunk could result in a catastrophic tumble. This physical flaw is the primary reason that three out of four Jungle Nymphs who are forcibly impregnated were caught while on the ground.

Transgender Nymphs act both as lookouts and bait for the tribe; they spend much of their time outside of the main group, sounding a piercing wail when a potential threat is spotted. An exposed predator may attempt to capture the lookout, in which case impregnation would prove futile. The cavity that contains the Transgender Nymph's genitals is just shallow enough to allow comfortable insertion of the predatory Daughter's penis, but the sexual stimulation will quickly induce an erection in their victim, forcing the intruding member out. By this point, the rest of the Nymphs have fled to safety, leaving the predator to often finish raping her catch anally, more out of sexual frustration than anything else. Should the predator or predators target the tribe as a whole, the Jungle Nymphs will quickly converge into one area, before scattering in all directions. This behavior is known as 'shuffling', making it difficult for pursuers to maintain sight of their original target, while also increasing the chances of the predator inadvertently catching a Transgender Nymph by mistake.

When captured, Nymphs will struggle violently to escape, kicking, scratching, and biting their captor in desperation. Even the briefest moment of freedom is more than enough for a Nymph to quickly sprint out of reach, so most predators have developed tactics to incapacitate their prey, without mortally injuring them. One of the most common is the simple chokehold, asphyxiating the Nymph into unconsciousness. Upon losing consciousness, Nymphs will often spasm, violently ejaculating; the spasm is simply caused by the instinctive fight or flight response, the release of bodily fluids serving as lubrication for the vagina to reduce friction from violent penetration, all of which results in no serious harm to the Nymph.

Some Nymphs have developed the ability to hold their breath while being choked, feigning unconsciousness while spasming and ejaculating as normal, before sprinting away once her captor has let their guard down. When a member of the tribe is captured, other Nymphs may try to bait the predator away, in an attempt to give a still conscious victim the chance to flee, though once the victim is incapacitated there is not much to be done, aside from distracting or annoying the predator. Some brave Nymphs may even come within arm's reach of the attacker, trying to trick the predator into pursuit, though this rarely works; on these occasions, the baiter is usually a Transgender Nymph.

Reproduction: Nymphs enter a state of estrus every two months, during which the Pure females will become much more gregarious, indicating their readiness for reproduction by the swelling of the labium minus, and the appearance of a bright red streak across their pubic region. Transgender Nymphs will develop bright red, orange, and blue streaks across most of their body, and their true genitals will become fully erect and exposed, a narrow, bright red member about five to six inches in length. Nymph breeding seasons are intermittent, random, and brief, minimizing the threat of exposure.

Nymph courtship is a simple ordeal, effectively a game of tag, the Pure females remaining on the move, actively avoiding pursuit by the Transgender females, only allowing themselves to be taken by those who manage to catch them. The most well suited mates to father their offspring are those that possess the stamina to keep up. During courtship, Nymphs will only struggle as far as it takes to escape a half hearted grope or loose grip, quickly surrendering to their captor once securely held. Intercourse generally lasts between two to five minutes, any longer and the captive Nymph will become disinterested and escape to find a more suitable partner, struggling fiercely if her unwanted suitor persists.

Nymphs will go through a pregnancy that lasts just under a couple of months, developing a distinctive purplish color pattern that clearly indicates they are no longer viable targets to potential predatory impregnation. After giving birth, the mother will suckle her daughter for several weeks. After another two months, an adolescent Nymph has reached full sexual maturity, remaining with the tribe until contact is made with neighboring tribes, during which a sort of communal gathering will be held, the youth of these individual groups leaving together to form a new tribe.

When impregnated by a predatory species, those Nymphs will be ostracized, remaining separated from the main group until they give birth, abandoning the unwanted child. The abandoned daughter will quickly be collected by her true family, who always remain close by to whichever tribe of Nymphs they have successfully targeted.

How To Avoid: Not strictly necessary, as Nymphs will run from anything they perceive as a threat. Worst case scenario, you may end up caught in a tribe of Nymphs fleeing a predatory species, who may decide it will be easier to pursue you instead!

How To Defend Against: As detailed above, Nymphs are not likely to attack you, even when threatened. The only reason to fear injury from a Nymph is if you actually managed to catch one [a highly unlikely scenario]. Nymphs have a high stamina threshold, making it highly unlikely that you'd be able to maintain your grip long enough for her to give up, and she could easily renew her struggle whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Attempting to knock out a Nymph is not advised [the predatory species of Daughters have long ago perfected the art of incapacitating their prey without inflicting permanent harm], so the best and safest means of holding a Nymph is to pin her face first against the ground, while holding her arms securely behind her back. A Nymph's claws can leave deep scratches, and it is strongly advised to keep any digits or sensitive body parts away from her mouth. A clear indication of a Nymph's surrender is when she ceases to struggle, often releasing a stream of lubricating fluid in anticipation of inevitable penetration. It will not take long for her to recover her strength, and some Nymphs will feign surrender in order to escape.

How To Interact With: Nymphs are shy creatures, but it is possible for them to become curious enough to overcome their cautious nature. Obviously trying to chase or capture a Nymph will immediately label you as a threat... although after about three or four failed attempts at capturing one, they'll probably begin viewing you as entertainment, rather than as a danger. Nymphs have been observed making a game out of the inept pursuit of slow or clumsy hunters, and nothing can be more infuriating than getting so close your fingertips brush against their soft skin, only for them to dart away at the last minute, giggling playfully at your frustration [leading to the coining of the term "Like chasing Nymphs", to describe a futile or pointless action].

It can take days before Nymphs will feel safe enough to remain in sight, and it takes about a week before they consider getting close to a stranger. Nymphs, like virtually all other Daughters living on the Pandora Archipelago, have had little to no contact with men, which makes them all the more curious, especially after spending enough time to feel safe around. Things as simple as our facial hair can prove to be a wonder to young Daughters.

The fastest way to encourage interaction with a tribe of Nymphs is to spend long, regular times at sites Nymphs frequently visit, watering holes being the most common. When they become comfortable enough to get very close to you, DO NOT attempt to approach, touch, or hand food/gifts; Nymphs share food where it is found, and don't hand it between each other. Trying to hand them food will appear to them as baiting a trap [a tactic one of the predatory Daughter species frequently uses], and giving gifts without having had sex prior will not be understood.

Once the tribe feels safe enough to rest or bathe in close proximity to you, more direct interactions are now possible. Most Daughters are as intelligent as humans, and are fast learners. Nymphs in particular are quick to explore new things, once they're sure there is no danger, that is. While teaching them anything complex, such as how to speak English, or things that appear trivial to them [clothing for example] is quite pointless, Nymphs have a high capacity to incorporate new habits into their existing behavior. It is possible that traits including their giving of gifts and recreational sex, may have been concepts first introduced to them by man.

How To Have Sex With: Once you have gained their trust, it is now possible to engage in sex with a willing Nymph. Sex for Nymphs can be divided into two categories, Recreational and Reproductive. Recreational is a simple interaction, while Reproductive is a much more complicated affair. A Nymph's wiliness to engage in sex is not always clearly indicated, at least outside of their breeding seasons, but a general indication of their interest is their receptiveness to physical contact.

In regards to Recreational love making, Nymphs don't expect full intercourse, but gentle stroking of their vagina and clitoris, with some light penetration by fingers and increased speed in stimulation as the act continues. They are very receptive to receiving fellatio, though they aren't very accustomed to giving fellatio to a penis. It does not take long for a Nymph to cum, at which point she is done and will generally not be interested in continued stimulation [particularly frustrating if she cums before you do!] It is advised to avoid ejaculating on her face, an act that is rarely appreciated, though releasing your load inside of her mouth or across her body is generally tolerated.

When in heat, a Nymph becomes fully receptive to sex, but the affair becomes a lot trickier. Nymphs seeking to engage in Reproductive sex will flee, which at first indicates disinterest or fear. Assuming you have followed all the advice laid out in the previous article, then this is not the case; Nymphs determine reproductive worthiness by the ability of their suitor to keep up. A courtship pursuit, done by a willing Nymph, remains on the same level as the ground [for the most part], during which the Nymph will slow down or pause after getting a certain distance from her pursuer, egging on a slow mate with provocative teasing. Jungle Nymphs are usually aware of our lack of dexterity in a jungle environment, and while they won't make it easy for you to capture them, they will hold back enough to give us a fair chance, and have been known to allow themselves to be taken if they have enjoyed the chase.

Once you have secured your Nymph, the act itself should be as simple as making love to a normal woman [if not, then clearly you're doing it wrong!]. Bear in mind, as mentioned before sexual intercourse, at least from the Nymph's perspective, should take no more than five minutes, and it requires considerable pleasure giving to encourage her to persist longer than that. Time should be taken to introduce more kinky activities to the routine, which would have been established by this point, and she will be none too subtle in indicating what is off limits... I have the scars to prove it!

It is no insult when a Nymph runs off after the deed is done [again, it will be very apparent if she isn't happy about the encounter], but a clear compliment is when she lingers afterward, and though quite rare, a Nymph remaining behind to rest with her lover is an indication of genuine thanks for the good time. Presenting a gift to her will be expected, and it is advised to give her something if you want her to continue to be receptive; giving her multiple gifts will not be a problem, as she discards the previous presents, which means you shouldn't give her anything precious or rare.

As of this writing, there has never been a case of cross human-Daughter impregnation, amongst Nymphs or any other species, and so far they have proven resistant to catching or passing sexually transmitted diseases, so safe sex does not have to be observed under most circumstances.

Nymphs aren't monogamous, and though they generally don't share lovers during breeding season, recreationally Nymphs are quite willing to engage in group sex, and it is not difficult to find oneself pleasuring, or being pleasured by, more than a couple of Nymphs at the same time. This may also be a strong indication that you could be getting even luckier in the near future!

Side Note: Telling a Transgender Nymph from a Pure Nymph is quite difficult, which can mean that the Nymph you may have begun courting could have a surprise waiting for you during the act. Ironically, because of their roles as decoys and lookouts, they're usually the first Nymphs you'll make contact with.

Transgender Nymphs receive less sexual contact with other Nymphs, outside of breeding season at least, which in some ways makes them more receptive to sexual contact from strangers. Recreational sex with a Transgender Nymph is pretty much the same, save for the emergence of the hemipenis when fully aroused. Vigorous stroking is the best way to pleasure a Transgender Nymph, culminating in the ejaculation of greenish semen [many species of Daughter possess a diverse variety of bodily fluids].

Transgender individuals are also more receptive towards intercourse, whether the Pure Nymphs of their tribe are in heat or not. Oddly, Transgender Nymphs appear to prefer receiving penetration over giving it, suggesting that their expected role as the impregnator during Nymph courtship is done primarily out of biological necessity, rather than personal preference. This habit may also be because of their role as bait for the predator Daughter species that they are frequently assaulted by.

Here it is, my first attempt at a full bio for a species of monster girl for my Daughters of Pandora setting! This was a true labor of love, taking me a couple days to write, fine tune, and edit before presenting it here. I only hope that I can duplicate this creative process in other monster girl profiles. I'm very eager to get any feedback you guys have for this, so don't be shy on asking questions or giving suggestions!

One2ManyJenny
Magician
Magician

Post by One2ManyJenny »

I think it's very well researched, and I get the refernces to creatures in our world. I really like that you put this much heart and effort into it

But I don't really feel like the eroticness of the nymphs comes across well. Right now they seem too beast like, like you said in a post above, they need to have at least a certain amount of human in them. My personal taste for monster girls comes from that they all clearly represent one or more fetishes, even when I don't particularly enjoy a certain fetish I can still usually identify the monster or monster girl with one. I like the curiosity and the teasing part, and combined with the habit of wanting to be dominated that's a pretty erotic situation (the pure females are playing and teasing because they want to be held down and penetrated). Maybe you have another fetish in mind, but whatever it is I think it's important to make it come across stronger in her design and behaviour. Since they live in groups with morepure females than 'transgender' it would make more sense if they had some kind of harem hierarchy. I guess, first make the fantasy and then do research to make it more real and enticing, rather than first making something real as a creature and then try to see if you can fit a fantasy to it. I don't write, but this is how I think whenever I do an erotic drawing

A second thing I don't really agree on, but again it's just my personal opinion, is that if a nymph is impregnated by another monster I'd feel it would be more interesting if the group of nymphs tried to raise the offspring, at least for a while, kind of like small birds and the cuckoo.

Just my 2 cents, it's going to be interesting to see what a predatory species will be like! Or a more culturally advanced one! Looking forward to the next update
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

One2ManyJenny wrote:Right now they seem too beast like, like you said in a post above, they need to have at least a certain amount of human in them.

Maybe you have another fetish in mind, but whatever it is I think it's important to make it come across stronger in her design and behavior.

A second thing I don't really agree on, but again it's just my personal opinion, is that if a nymph is impregnated by another monster I'd feel it would be more interesting if the group of nymphs tried to raise the offspring, at least for a while, kind of like small birds and the cuckoo.
Well that was the thing, when I began doing this project, I didn't have a core fetish in mind, at least not consciously... it took a day of reflection for me to realize that the fetish I was truly going for was a lack of full humanity. That's kind of, while I hesitate to call it a turn on, it's definitely a preference. If you asked me what my favorite kind of monster girls were, my answers probably wouldn't include anything Kenkou Cross or most conventional monster girl creators had done. I'd answer with the likes of Natasha Henstridge's character in Species, or the 'Angels' from the British horror film Forest of the Damned [Demonic in the US].

I'm an ardent monster fan, whether they're iconic horror stars like the Xenomorph or werewolves, to the lowest budget creatures from SyFy Saturday night flicks. But obviously my favorite monsters are the ones that are developed into complex characters in their own right, and the beasts who are modeled off of real life nature, no matter how unusual they themselves are. I follow the philosophy of iconic monster makers, including Ray Harryhausen, Gullermo Del Toro, and Neville Page, that deep down a monster can be beautiful, no matter how hideous in appearance [obviously not beautiful in a sexual way, but I think you get my point]

I want to go in a very different direction with my monster girls, creating a much stronger union of woman and monster, though your feedback [combined with the lack of feedback from everyone else], does indicate that the direction I'm going isn't what most other people are into, which frankly took quite a bit of wind out of my sails. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up on my style just yet, though I will take your advice into account with future monster girls, so thanks for the honest opinion!

AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Re: Daughters of Pandora: A Field Guide

Post by AdventDestiny »

I wish I could have done this sooner, but I got sick when I started this a week ago, didn't have the chance to actually finish it until today [not that anyone's paying attention]. This is a preliminary list of Daughter species found throughout the Daughters of Pandora setting; they're more rough sketches than anything else, trying to get an idea of what direction I want to go with each species, what kind of subspecies spin off from them, and what makes each species distinct from each other. I imagine there is still a lot of work ahead for me...

Daughter Species

Nymph: One of the most widespread species of Daughter, many different subspecies of Nymph can be found throughout the Pandora Archipelago. Though each species is adapted to live in different ecosystems, all Nymphs are shy communal beings, dependant on evasion and agility to avoid predation.

Harpy: Another diverse species, the defining trait of all Harpies is their avian physiology. Most Harpies are more gliders than true flyers, others having sacrificed their wings all together. Harpies are primarily opportunists, rarely a threat to anything bigger than rats or lizards when alone.

Naga: A serpentine species, Nagas are usually predators, subduing their prey using constriction coils or paralyzing venom. Generally solitary, they are usually found only in the tropics or swamps, though some subspecies can be found off the coast and the desert.

Mermaid: Though not readily apparent due to their aquatic nature, Mermaids represent the second most diverse species of Daughter. Many specialized subspecies can be found throughout the waters around the Pandora Islands, as well as the estuaries and linked freshwater bodies.

Jorogumo: Reminiscent of arachnids, Jorogumo are lurking predators, ambushing their prey using often elaborate traps. Most are nocturnal, preferring to avoid the light within the dark depths of caves or the jungle floor. Most are quite small, but some are large enough to capture human sized prey, and all are quite venomous.

Hadryad: The Hadryads are actually a genus that represents a wide range of plant-like Daughters, found mostly in the warmer regions of the Archipelago. These unusual creatures can come in many exotic forms. Many have developed a symbiosis with the herbivorous and insectoid Daughter species, others are self sufficient and defend themselves with natural weapons or toxins, and some are even 'carnivorous' in nature, feeding off of lower creatures and capturing other Daughters to use for reproduction.

Scylla: A vaguely cephalopod like Daughter, they are found exclusively along the coast, splitting their time between the ocean and the shore. Quite intelligent, they use clever mimicry and camouflage to both hunt and to protect themselves.

Demon: Native to highly volcanic environments, Demons are the transgender side of the closely related, pure female Succubi. Extremely aggressive, they hunt other species as much for pleasure as for reproduction, as they enjoying dominating others.

Succubus: Technically the pure female form of Demons, Succubi are significantly different from their transgender counterparts. A rare type of pure female Daughter who's genes prove dominant over a transgender's, Succubi use seduction and pheromones to lure other transgender species right to them, sapping them of strength as they mate.

Zombie: Despite their name, Zombies are not truly undead, but are in fact very similar in nature to fungi and mushrooms. They are hermaphrodites, quite capable of mating with either gender of other species, impregnating the with spores which leave the victim in a zombie-like state. These zombified victims can also infect others, and in the case of pure females, will periodically birth new zombies.

Pixie: An insectoid race, Pixies represent the most diverse genus of Daughters on the planet. Most are very small, tied together through their own miniaturized reproductive web. Some species have adapted to interact with other species of Daughter, though sadly these interactions are usually parasitic in nature.

Ghost: An extraordinary creature, Ghosts are not the departed souls of the dead, but a unique species of Daughter that can 'phase' through solid matter, an exceptional defense against predation. Ghosts are nomadic, usually found wandering alone at night, preferring quite areas with little foot traffic.

Deer Woman: Close relatives of the Nymphs, Deer Women stand out as their own species thanks to the antlers and hooves. Sexual dimorphism between pure and transgender individuals are readily apparent, with the transgenders possessing significantly larger antlers during breeding season. Deer Women are also more likely to defend themselves if threatened.

Werewolf: A common type of predatory species, Werewolves share many qualities with wolves and other pack hunting canines. They hunt together to bring down prey large and small. Packs are lead by an Alpha, which is always pure female. The second in command is the most skilled transgender Werewolf, with all others being of varying ranks above and below each other. During the full moon, Werewolves enter a period of heightened reproductive aggression, hunting down anything that falls across their path.

Weretiger: Surprisingly close in relation to Werewolves, Weretigers are significantly stronger and much more feline in nature, and are solitary predators. Like Werewolves, Weretigers enter breeding season during the full moon. While Werewolves go into a reproductive frenzy, Weretigers will roam outside their established territories, searching for a fellow Weretiger of the opposing gender [Weretigers are unique in having a relatively balanced gender ratio].

Goblin: Hyena-like and pugnacious, Goblins are more annoying than dangerous, most of the time anyway. While most predatory Daughters produce so few pure females, that they must impregnate other species to survive, Goblins breed so quickly that they will almost always have a few pure females present in any particular horde. This ironically is due to the hyper-sexualized nature of this species, who often have sex with other species for no other reason than sexual pleasure and domination. They're opportunists, preferring to target obviously weak prey, or bullying other predators off of their catch using sheer numbers.

Kappa: An amphibious relative to the Goblin, Kappa are not nearly as aggressive, and are considered a prey-type species. Transgender individuals are nomadic, while pure females remain together in small communities along freshwater rivers and swamps. Kappa defend themselves by releasing a noxious cloud of gas from the shells on their backs.

Heka Gigantes: A multi-armed race of large, armored Daughters, it is almost unbelievable to imagine that their closest relatives are the numerous and miniscule Pixies found fluttering throughout the various islands. Visually reminiscent of crabs, Heka Gigantes are simple predators, spending most of their time dormant, resembling a craggy mass of rocks. When something either edible or fuckable gets within range, the Heka Gigantes will snatch it up with blinding speed.

Shiri-Me: A very strange and downright disturbing nocturnal species, the Shiri-Me defends herself by turning her back to attackers, mooning them with a brightly glowing and expanded anus, creating the illusion of an enormous eye, a truly startling action that will often put off even the most hardened of predators.

Skinwalker: Skinwalkers possess the unique ability to actually mimic the appearance of other species perfectly. Parasitical in nature, they will often take the form of prey-type Daughters, feigning distress to lure predators, who will quickly find the tables have been turned. Skinwalkers are similar to Succubi, and when impregnated will always give birth to another of their kind, though in theory they're just as capable of impregnating pure females as well.

Siren: Another unusual and unique Daughter species, Sirens are primarily a coastal race. Like frogs and many insects, Sirens go through several life cycle stages as they mature. When young they are very similar to Mermaids [from which they are closely related], spending their time mostly in the water. As they develop, the fused tail will split into two legs, allowing them to move onto the land. After this, the fins along their arms will enlarge, becoming functional wings. The wings also aid in swimming, used primarily when adult sirens return to the sea to reproduce.

Golem: Few Daughters can match the strangeness of the Golem, a creature that is actually assembled from multitudes of micro organisms. The closest counterpart to the Golem in our animal kingdom would be the Coral, though the nature of the Golem is still very different. Golems are exclusively pure female, at least as we know, and seeks others to impregnate it... this isn't entirely accurate though, as what truly happens is the semen is used as fuel to accelerate the growth of a cluster of micro organisms. The rapid growth stimulation will cause a portion of the Golem's body to split off, which will grow into a full Golem over time.

Vampire: A purely nocturnal Daughter race, Vampires are another rare predator-type species that has an almost balanced mix of pure and transgender individuals. Their predatory nature comes into play after the pure female becomes pregnant, where she will seek out other species, feeding off of their blood and bodily fluids like a mosquito.

Giant: One of the largest species of Daughters, most Giants stand between nine to ten feet tall, possessing thick armor and great strength. They are almost completely immune to predation, moving together in small herds. Their one weakness is their slow rate of growth, youths still the size of humans by the time they reach sexual maturity, depending on the presence of the elders to protect them.

Dracaena: The alpha predator of the Pandora Archipelago, the dragon-like Dracaena is perhaps the only true threat to a fully mature Giant, and is free to hunt any other species of Daughter they wish. Heavily armored scales, razor sharp talons, powerful wings, and fiery breath make the Dracaena one of the deadliest creatures ever to live on Earth. The only thing a Dracaena fears, is another Dracaena. Thankfully, Dracaenas are quite rare, spending most of their lives hibernating deep within the mountains and volcanoes found throughout the chain.

Gorgon: An extremely elusive species, Gorgons are almost exclusively pure female, another predator-type that preys often on other predator-type Daughters. Gorgons spit a powerful paralytic venom into the eyes of her prey, blinding them and leaving them as stiff as a board for hours, allowing the Gorgon to pleasure herself for however long she needs.

Amazon: The most unusual quality of the Amazon is their development of a complex social structure; most Daughters are essentially feral, depending more on animal instinct than actual knowledge. Amazons on the other hand have been observed wearing clothes and wielding both tools and weapons. They are far more 'human' than any other Daughter species, with no clear indication of where they got this knowledge, or where they fit into the complex ecology of the Pandora Archipelago.

Jinn: Found exclusively in deserts, the Jinn is somewhat related to Demons and Succubi. Jinn have developed the ability to burrow through the sand at astonishing speeds, ambushing their prey in an explosive cloud of sand and debris, pulling their victims under until loss of air weakens them. The single volcanic desert on the northern most island of the chain is also prone to violent sandstorms, which is when the Jinn are most active and dangerous.

Mummy: Another desert species, Mummies are hard to find, and are usually a docile herbivorous species. They protect themselves from the heat and sand by weaving organic shrouds, which they wrap around themselves in, reminiscent of the bandages wrapped around the embalmed bodies of the Egyptian dead. They also use the shroud to defend themselves, tangling up attackers.

Troll: Vaguely crocodilian, Trolls are a primarily amphibious species, found in many large freshwater bodies, particularly rivers and swamps. They spend most of their time under the water, waiting for unwary victims that wander too close to the water's edge.

Banshee: Willowy and delicate in appearance, the seemingly docile Banshee is in fact a fierce predator, using her ear shattering wail to kill small animals that represent her primary source of food. The Banshee's wail is also used in self defense, to incapacitate any predator foolish enough to target her. Despite their carnivorous diet, Banshees are consider prey-type Daughters, and reproduce solely amongst themselves.

Sphinx: Another master desert hunter, the Sphinx bringer her targets down from a distance, using venomous barbs launched from her tail. Cat like agility and primitive wings enable her to quickly close the gap before her prey has the chance to recover.

Rusulka: Of the various freshwater Daughter species, none are quite as feared as the Rusulka. At first they appear to be solitary creatures, but for every Rusulka you see, there's five or more you don't. Rusulka descend upon their prey in wild sexual frenzies, where the distinction between mate and food can get blurry.

Oni: Though similar in appearance to Demons, Oni are an unrelated species. Despites being highly aggressive, Oni are purely herbivores, feeding mainly on fruits and berries. Their favorite food is those fruits that have fermented for some time, resulting in many Oni having a drunken air about them.

Dziwozona: Odd is just one of many ways to describe these most unusual swamp based Daughters. At first appearing to be some sort of mobile Hadryad, Dziwozona [nicknamed Swamp Girls] are more akin to protozoa, fusing various plants and fungi found throughout their ecosystem into their own bodies, providing both camouflage and a framework structure. Normally peaceful, though they are highly protective of their personal territories.

Angel: One of the most mysterious of Daughters, Angels are only found on the highest points on mountains, and are never found in volcanic regions. Descriptions of Angels [what few there are] always indicate a level of beauty never before seen by the individual witness, regardless of sexual orientation or preferences.

Nightmare: Though not uncommon, Nightmares are rarely seen in the wild, with most human encounters happening within our own residences. Nightmares are scavengers, only mating with prey that are asleep, using some innate ability to keep their victims asleep. Disturbing dreams and nightmares are a side effect of the Nightmare's influence.

Undine: An amoeba-like race, Undines [also called Slime Girls] are amorphous in nature, capable of blending almost perfectly in the water, which is where they are found, whether freshwater or saltwater in nature. They feed off of nutrients in the water, and are hermaphrodites, reproducing exclusively with each other... but their relative lack of intelligence often causes them to target anything that wanders too close, regardless of reproductive potential.

Sylph: Related to the Pixie genus, Sylphs are much larger than most of their kin. Their increased size makes them a more appealing target, requiring the development of a specialized defense mechanism; Sylphs can generate a controlled vibration effect in the air, creating illusionary copies of themselves to confuse pursuers.

Gnomid: Specialized in burrowing through the ground, Gnomids are very similar to moles and gophers, spending much of their time underground to avoid predators. Some Gnomids live together in large underground communities, working together to create pitfall traps to defend against would be attackers.

Salamander: Found exclusively in volcanic environments, Salamanders thrive in the molten lava and noxious gases. They have developed specialized defenses to protect themselves from the few predators that share their habitat, literally harnessing the fires around them to burn attackers.

Ghoul: A scavenger in every sense of the word, Ghouls feed primarily on carrion and other rotting food, resulting in a horrendous stench which serves as protection against other predators. They don't reproduce in the conventional sense, but instead infect living victims with parasites, which gestate within them for some time, before violently emerging from wherever they were originally inserted.

Dökkálfar: Also known as the Dark Elves, they are a subterranean predator species. They are organized with a loose and often unstable tribal system, power and cruelty being a central quality expected in leaders, the role changing hands often through betrayal and deceit. Dominating and possessive, Dark Elves pose a threat to anything unfortunate enough to enter their territory.

Ljósálfar: The Light Elves, they are the opposite of the Dark Elves in almost every way. Kind and generous, Light Elves live in well organized communities, concealed beneath the Earth but still illuminated by the light from the surface. The Light Elves are always pure female, representing the other half of the purely transgender Dark Elves. Both species are dependent on each other for survival.

Sazae-Oni: The 'Snail Woman', Sazae-Oni are quite similar to mollusks, specifically aquatic snails and slugs. They are rarely seen on land, usually found in the shallows off of the coast. They quickly retract into their shells when startled, and are almost impossible to pry from once fully retracted.

Lamia: Combining aspects of lion and saurian biology into one fearsome package, the Lamia represents one of the chief predators found on the Pandora Archipelago. Stronger but less agile than the Werewolves, Lamia strike out quickly, snatching their prey before they have a chance to flee.

Gargoyle: One of the best ambush predators on the chain, Gargoyles employ an extremely effective camouflage ability, almost seamlessly blending into the environment. Gargoyles rarely move, conserving almost all of their energy for jumping their victims once they're in range. When they do move, they're almost imperceptibly fast.

Erinyes: Often nicknamed Furies, the Erinyes is a fierce bat-like predator. Insanely territorial, Erinyes will pursue intruders well beyond the borders of their territory. At night, Erinyes roam the skies in flocks, overwhelming almost anything unfortunate enough to cross their path.

Wendigo: One of the most feared Daughters, Wendigos are savage predators, posing a genuine threat to anything they meet. Living in the coldest regions of the Archipelago, the Wendigos stay warm thanks to an accelerated metabolic rate, the downside of this being the need to almost constantly eat to stay alive. Though they can eat almost anything, they are primarily carnivorous, and often have a hard time distinguishing potential mates from food. Naturally, this makes them one of the rarest species of Daughter, making the chances of encountering any thankfully slim.

Selkie: A coastal species of Daughter, they're distant relatives of the Sirens. Rather than going through distinct life cycles, Selkies can actively shift between a terrestrial and aquatic form, shedding their skin like a snake. Like Nymphs, they're a docile species that prefer to run instead of fight.

Valkyrie: A near arctic species mostly found on the southern islands, Valkyries have developed a unique way of protecting themselves from the cold and potential predators. Valkyries can form something akin to an organic armor, a pseudo exoskeleton that insulates them, while also forming a near impenetrable defense against attackers.

Rokuro-Kubi: Seemingly innocuous, the Rokuro-Kubi has a rather unique physiological trait; a neck that can stretch out well over a dozen feet. Rokuro-Kubi are herbivores, using their long necks to pluck the juiciest fruits without ever having to leave the ground. They also use their prehensile neck to scout for signs of danger while exploring.

Hari-Onago: A specialized predator, Hari-Onagos use their hair as a weapon. Long and tendril-like, their hair strikes out faster than a cobra, latching on with sharp barbs, pulling the Hari-Onago's prey straight to her. As predators go, the Hari-Onago is pretty docile, only rarely targeting other Daughter species for impregnation.

Pontiak: Almost all species of Daughter are dependent on the other Daughter species to reproduce themselves, except for the Pontiak. Perfectly capable of impregnating themselves, Pontiaks are almost always pregnant. The truly unique [if a bit disturbing] of the Pontiak is that they can actively birth a large number of Pixie-like offspring, who act like bees serving their queen, capturing and bringing food back to their mother, and protecting the Pontiak from any attempts by predator-types to impregnate her.

Glaistig: An amphibious predator, the Glaistig seems similar to Vampires. But while Vampires only suck blood when pregnant, Glaistigs survive off of the bodily fluids of others, also using it to weaken their victims before mating with them. Behavior wise, Glaistigs have something of a split personality, quite docile when not hungry most of the time, but when hungry or in heat they become violent and short tempered.

Huldra: Related to the Werewolf, Huldra are solitary hunters. Like coyotes, they can quickly adapt to changing circumstances, altering behavioral activities to better suit new environments. This allows them to travel great distances, and thrive in many different ecosystems, including ones in close proximity of humans.

Frankenstein Mutant: It was always expected to happen, considering so much cross species reproduction occurs on a regular basis. Once in a while, a Daughter is born that is very different; an albino, possessing limbs and other physical traits of different Daughters, all 'stitched' together into an asymmetrical freak of nature. These mutations are shunned by the other Daughters, forced into hiding in the most isolated corners of the islands.

Kikimora: Somewhat similar to Goblins, the Kikimora serves a very similar ecological role as rats, depending on their high rate of reproduction, and the ability to squirm into tight, isolated places to escape predators. Like the Nightmare, Huldra, and some species of Harpies and Pixies, Kikimoras have adapted well to the presence of humans.

Esoterica: Off the western coasts of the Pandora Archipelago, there lies the Abyss, a deep sea pit, possibly the deepest point on Earth. Here has evolved an entire genus of extremely strange aquatic Daughters. Unlike other deep sea life, the Esoterica are capable of moving to the surface, and may even be able to live on land.

Kitsune: Kin to both the Huldra and the Werewolves, the Kitsune are clever creatures, avoiding other predators using trickery and mind games. Kitsune are highly perceptive, with an almost supernatural ability to anticipate the actions of other species.

One2ManyJenny
Magician
Magician

Post by One2ManyJenny »

AdventDestiny wrote:
One2ManyJenny wrote:Right now they seem too beast like, like you said in a post above, they need to have at least a certain amount of human in them.

Maybe you have another fetish in mind, but whatever it is I think it's important to make it come across stronger in her design and behavior.

Well that was the thing, when I began doing this project, I didn't have a core fetish in mind, at least not consciously... it took a day of reflection for me to realize that the fetish I was truly going for was a lack of full humanity. That's kind of, while I hesitate to call it a turn on, it's definitely a preference. If you asked me what my favorite kind of monster girls were, my answers probably wouldn't include anything Kenkou Cross or most conventional monster girl creators had done. I'd answer with the likes of Natasha Henstridge's character in Species, or the 'Angels' from the British horror film Forest of the Damned [Demonic in the US].

I'm an ardent monster fan, whether they're iconic horror stars like the Xenomorph or werewolves, to the lowest budget creatures from SyFy Saturday night flicks. But obviously my favorite monsters are the ones that are developed into complex characters in their own right, and the beasts who are modeled off of real life nature, no matter how unusual they themselves are. I follow the philosophy of iconic monster makers, including Ray Harryhausen, Gullermo Del Toro, and Neville Page, that deep down a monster can be beautiful, no matter how hideous in appearance [obviously not beautiful in a sexual way, but I think you get my point]

I want to go in a very different direction with my monster girls, creating a much stronger union of woman and monster, though your feedback [combined with the lack of feedback from everyone else], does indicate that the direction I'm going isn't what most other people are into, which frankly took quite a bit of wind out of my sails. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up on my style just yet, though I will take your advice into account with future monster girls, so thanks for the honest opinion!
You're welcome~ I see, thanks for clarifying. I just assumed, wrongly, that you were going for the softer monster girl/mamono theme. I don't think you should try to mix up your own preferences with trying to cater to what you think what people expect, it will just get too diluted. If your own fetish is revolving around monsters that are dangerous and ferocious then go for it~ You wouldn't be alone, I'm down with that and I know others who are too. Actually, on that note I have two questions. Will the predation/prey thing be actual killing and eating of other species of Daughters or is it limited to 'reproductive' predation? Second, is there a specific reason for having no male gender in the mix, fetish-wise or story-wise?

I like your way of turning mythological creature names into a plausible monster! Keep it up
AdventDestiny
Magician
Magician

Post by AdventDestiny »

One2ManyJenny wrote:Actually, on that note I have two questions. Will the predation/prey thing be actual killing and eating of other species of Daughters or is it limited to 'reproductive' predation? Second, is there a specific reason for having no male gender in the mix, fetish-wise or story-wise?

I like your way of turning mythological creature names into a plausible monster! Keep it up
Thanks again, and to answer your questions, first primarily predation is limited to reproductive purposes. I didn't want the setting to get completely dark, though I did want to inject danger into the setting by including a few full killer predator monster girls. The Wendigo is the perfect case of a Daughter that is actually more likely to try and kill you over trying to mate with you.

And as for the second question, I wanted to build a system of biology that no one else has ever seen before, or at least something I haven't seen before. I admit, I do like the idea of transgender monster girls as well, and in regards to making all the predators almost exclusively transgender is to emulate the classic element of monster movies, having the human characters flee from the pursuing monsters... instead of fleeing for our lives, we'd be fleeing from sexual domination by creatures who quite literally have reversed our sexual role, with my imagining that most men under these circumstances would not be receptive to this reversal of roles.