Anteal

The Observer's worldbuilding project

A place where people can create and share their own monsters and world settings.
Observer
Emperess
Emperess
Personal Title: The Stranger
Favorite Monster Type: Lamia, Arachne and Scylla

Anteal

Post by Observer »

Greetings and welcome whoever may be reading this. In this thread I will compile all the information on the world of Anteal, my personal worldbuilding project. That includes the maps, profiles, info on geography, history, people, etc. I want this to be the definitive index where I post my info regarding Anteal in a highly organized fashion.

As for style... either in-universe or out... I'll probably keep an outside perspective. As befitting an Observer. Heheh.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic setting information :
Anteal seems like a fairly ordinary world capable of sustaining life. The second planet orbiting a yellow sun, it's in turn orbited by three moons: one planetoid and two asteroids, all too small to support any life without serious protection.

The planet itself is large enough to maintain an atmosphere and has substantial amounts of water covering its surface. Around three fifths of Anteal's surface is covered with water, the remaining two fifths being being land. The land is concentrated into a supercontinent spanning much of the planet's northern hemisphere with two smaller island continents in the south.

Thousands of islands, some large, most of them small, dot Anteal's global ocean. This superocean, large as it is, is the source of many a powerful storm, up to and including tropical super cyclones that cover an extremely large area and devastate anything in their path. Though they are mostly confined to the southern hemisphere, these storms make conditions extremely harsh, which leaves many of the ocean's islands uninhabited.

Meanwhile, a very large percentage of the land is made up of deserts so great that large swathes are mostly uninhabited. Rain clouds can only reach so far inland before dissipating. There are other terrain types as well, such as mountainous, volcanic, steppe, savanna, jungle, taiga or tundra.

Anteal is shared by a large number of intelligent species spread across the world. Humans are the most widespread, inhabiting many corners of the world, though not all of them. A patchwork of sapient life covers the world, both on land and in the oceans. Humanoids (species similar in body shape to humans) and Mamono (body shape significantly different in some areas from humans), for better or worse, coexist across the world.

Between the species and nations of Anteal there is a history going back thousands of years. Naturally, a lot has changed in the mean time. Empires rose, empires fell, new nations formed and ways of thinking changed. As well, there is the advancement of technology. Technology advances at variously in different fields depending on demand and circumstances. Petrol powered vehicles are very common due to the abundance of oil, as are high performance computers using crystalline data storage and touch-sensitive holographic displays.

This was a brief introduction to Anteal meant to provide a very basic description while still being vague enough to allow room for fleshing out the world in subsequent entries.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of contents :

1) Profiles
2) Maps
3) Geography
4) History
5) Miscellany

Last edited by Observer on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Re: Anteal

Post by Observer »

1) Profiles
Humanoids

Under reconstruction

Mamono

Stone Lamia
Spoiler: show
Stone Lamia.JPG
Names: Makra Zhahara (“Stone Lamia” > Zhaun Makra'nay lang.), Ahashahaar (“White Lamia” > Vythari lang.), Aias Shainaar (“White Lamia” > Elthiri lang.)
Family: Lamia
Type: Mamono
Regions: Southern Makra'kje, Central Makra'kje

Stone Lamias are probably the least populous species belonging to the Lamia family. This distinctive species resides in a few of the cities and villages in Southern Makra'kje, more specifically: the cities of Zanar'sk, Telner'sk, Shanore'sk, Zhauntravo'ov and the countryside of northern Vythar.

Their length can vary between 5 and 7 m which makes them of medium length among Lamias. Their scales seem to be made for living in deserts, giving them a slightly spiny appearance, especially their dorsal scales, while their belly scales have a distinctive 'fanged' look which allows them better grip on vertical surfaces. The white to light beige and light blue scales run along the entirety of their back as well as up to their chest. Their tail ends in a bony club studded with up to three spikes. Finally, above their forehead is a single large horn. Their eyes tend to be colored various shades of blue, grey, more rarely, green which covers much of the visible surface aside from the black of their slit pupils.

Additionally, Stone Lamias possess exceptionally high levels of iron in their bodies. A heavily iron-rich diet in their original homeland in what is now Myatan'kje in south-eastern Central Makra'kje has built up their tolerance to the point where not only does the iron reinforce their bones and scales, but their cells are more resistant to damage allowing these Lamias to age at a slower rate and have a higher life expectancy than most other species.

Historically, they were responsible for the end of the first Elven civilization in the area, the Hunai Culture. Ancient legends speak of the Stone Lamias having a great and terrible power that allowed them to decimate the ancient Elves. Of course, ancient legends are rife with fantastical elements; how much is true and has actually happened is a matter of debate.

Though originating in Myatan'kje as the Myath culture, only a handful remain in the Central Makra'kje region. Today, the bulk of the species resides in Southern Makra'kje, living alongside the Human and especially Elven populations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Observer on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 17 times in total.
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

2) Maps
Under reconstruction
Last edited by Observer on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

3)Geography
Regions

Under reconstruction
Last edited by Observer on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

Post reserved
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

Miscellaneous posts! Basically this is where I post stuff not pertaining to the previous categories. Stuff that flesh out the world that much more. Being the military SF fan that I am, I couldn't resist adding in some military stuff, especially vehicles, but you can also expect pics of soldiers from across Anteal's history both human and mamono.
5) Miscellaneous
Military Vehicles

Under reconstruction

Warriors of Anteal

Under reconstruction

On the world of Anteal

Under reconstruction
Last edited by Observer on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"I like to watch."
Drazzimyr
Emperor
Emperor
Personal Title: The inactive

Post by Drazzimyr »

Well, it seems that there's someone making good use of this section in an appreciably manner, I hope to see what comes out of this Observer.
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance
Personal Title: Harpy King
Favorite Monster Type: Half Bird/Half Woman

Post by Feathers »

Observer definitely has some of the most amazing custom canon I've seen, and he does all the work alone!
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

And I've put up the profiles I've completed so far. I only uploaded the new images I've made for the Lantern Arachne, the Mountain Arachne and the Steppe Centaur. But don't worry everyone. I will make new images for the others as well. I want to make images that are roughly 1200x800 in terms of size.
Feathers wrote:Observer definitely has some of the most amazing custom canon I've seen, and he does all the work alone!
Thank you! This is certainly an ambitious project, I'm undertaking.

Was inspired by Felarya. Of course the key diference between this in Felarya is that Karbo has a community that comes up with ideas all the time, some of which actually ends up as canon on their wiki. It makes me wonder how much of Felarya actually belongs to Karbo i.e. how much of it is his idea anymore.

As for me, it's not like I'll shun other people's ideas (as long as they are fully elaborated upon). Actually, help is welcome, it's just that I don't know what to do with it.

On a side note, 2 days ago I tried brainstorming and came up with around 40 mamono species including the ones I'm already planning to make. As opposed to the 5-6 races I came up with for the other categories. Cool stuff eh?
"I like to watch."
Tsar CUBE
World
World
Official Title: God of TMM
Personal Title: Resident Angry Scientist
Favorite Monster Type: Succubi

Post by Tsar CUBE »

Why not upload some of the old images while we wait for new ones? I have seen the Tarkaf Siren on your DA already ^^
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

Actually, that's not a bad idea. In fact I'll also upload all the old pics I have scanned so far, including the ones that don't have profile text yet. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

This is a heads up. I have uploaded my first map. Well, after I redrew it. Last one felt too... small. I'll add ther versions later: political map, region map, etc.
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Nice work that is a really detailed map. Did you hand draw all of it?
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

Feathers wrote:Nice work that is a really detailed map. Did you hand draw all that by hand?
Only the contour of the map. Then I traced it and colored it on GIMP.
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

SURPRISE!

New profile added: Cliff Harpy and Cliff Siren. A 2-in-1 deal! Though I haven't put much effort into the text...
Cliff Harpy and Cliff Siren.png
In-universe: Seiratuthakhin (“Cliff Harpy” > talipin lang.), Seirarakuuthakhin (“Armed Cliff Harpy” > talipin lang.), Seiras Falzi (“Cliff Harpy” > pellae lang.),
Type: Mamono
Family: Harpy
Regions: Greater Tyrsaye, Lower Urmeth

A relatively little spread species, the Cliff Harpy and the Cliff Siren live on the the coast of Greater Tyrsaye and of Lower Urmeth and on the Rathi Island chain, living a semi-marine life, similar to the Tarkaf Sirens.

Cliff Harpies and Sirens stand at a height of 2 m and have a wingspan of 2.5 m. Their plumage is a combination of black and white or grey and white.

The big difference Cliff Sirens have from the harpies is their arms which, though ending in three fingered hands with talons, allows them the kind of dexterity harpies usually don't have. They are said to have resulted from a mutation from the mainline Cliff Harpies that gave them an extra set of forelimbs.

Important groups are the Cleosin, who make up their own country, and the Teminan, under the influence of Pellae.
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Nice work man, I love the wink you added on the Cliff Siren! :love:

i see you went for the more duck-like feet instead.

So, are the sirens good singers? How do the harpies hunt without their talons?
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

Nah, I just used "siren" to differentiate them from regular armless harpies. :^^;: As for hunting without talons, uh I haven't thought about that. I inspired from seagulls, so I guess they hunt like seagulls? :^^;:
"I like to watch."
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

This is me doubleposting to notify you that the Tarkaf Siren has a brand new image. Check it out in the race profiles... or below:
Tarkaf Siren.png
"I like to watch."
Feathers
Temperance
Temperance

Post by Feathers »

Nice! She is very cute, I like her feathers the best, the wing tips are real accurate.
Observer
Emperess
Emperess

Post by Observer »

I'm glad you like her. I'm trying to make the wings as realistic as possible.

Next I want to try writing something for the other sections, some nice useful guides for the regions and a timeline.
"I like to watch."