Childhood Memories: Fragments of another time ch6

A new future Praxis tale. A LONG one

Post and read continuous or multichapter stories and fiction involving monsters or other creatures from fantasy.
Boomerang
Magician
Magician
Personal Title: Craziest Praxis writer
Favorite Monster Type: Ureonggaksi

Childhood Memories: Fragments of another time ch6

Post by Boomerang »

Childhood memories: fragments of another time
Sequel to The Beckoning Sky

Chapter 1: Aboard the Quadrail
When technology advances, unexpected discoveries are made. Thus when Quadrails became commonplace and their tracks reached ever farther, people discovered that the constant, skirling shoop-shoop noises its motive limbs made interfered with sleeping. Hence, they had made soundproof cabins, which could be interspersed at a ratio of one to four. Perhaps in a few more years, even decades from this moment they would solve the issues that prevented every cabin from being quiet and stable enough to sleep in. Currently the problem was being handled by letting passengers sleep in shifts.

Not an optimal way to travel long distances, especially if you were still recovering from injuries. Aosagi Mi-fi tried to stay awake, her left leg giving a slight throb at every jostle and her ears drooping with the effort of not giving in. Natty needed to sleep too, Mi-fi wasn’t willing to let her Cabbit sister go crazy through lack of sleep, not even if she had to fight her own body to keep awake. The news on the flickering screen at the front of the cabin was… worrying, if not exactly useful in staving off slumber. The Darklands had, by mouth of ambassador, declared their intent to take measures against Zipangu following events Mi-fi knew all too well.

The sub-orbital flight mission she had been the pilot for had drawn expertise, resources and interest from around the world. The lone scientist from the Darklands assigned to the project had rather clumsily tried to steal the closely guarded secrets involved and, to put it mildly, had been sent packing. That fact was now used to justify increased hostilities between the nations and war loomed. “Miss? Are you allright?” A sleepy set of eyes hoisted their view upwards to fix onto a concerned attendant’s face. Mi-Fi shrugged. “Just tired.” An exasperated sigh followed that statement.

“Miss, you’re bleeding and you look to fit to faint. Why aren’t you in the sleeping cabin?” Mi-Fi peered at her leg and saw that indeed a few watery trickles of mixed blood and wound fluid were running down her leg again. “My sister needs her sleep too, we can’t afford a private bunk. Damn leg just complicates things.” The attendant scowled, then picked Mi-Fi up gently and carried her to the adjacent sleeping cabin. Mi-Fi wriggled uselessly, even if she weren’t feeling exhausted and had both legs fully functional she could not have escaped the Ushi-Oni’s embrace.

Though by nature drawn to survivalism in the wilds, the spider-limbed mamonme species had discovered a talent for working in moving vehicles. Since then, the Quadrails exclusively employed them as attendants, both as ones best suited to helping passengers and detaining criminals. “Your sister is in which bunk?” Mi-Fi shrugged. “On the left somewhere. Cabbit with cornsilk fur.” She missed the raised eyebrow this garnered her and barely registered as a human was evicted from his bunk before she was gently laid to rest in his place. Sleep claimed her and she did sleep deeply.

Many hours later she awoke to find Natty and the attendant conversing in hushed tones. “...She’s always like that, it sometimes makes me want to strangle her.” Natty seemed unamused. “Its common enough with Usako. I’ve been in this line of work long enough to know the symptoms, so I deal with it as I told you. Getting angry, arguing with them, appealing to common sense, none of those work on a sacrificially minded Usako. It just gives you wrinkles, so the only thing to do is handle their situation as best you can.” Natty blew out a long sigh. “I know, but it is still frustrating me to no end that I could have prevented her from going on that limb again by setting an alarm, or-” A quick stream of words interjected.

“Or just asking for help. Sheesh, we’re not just on board to unload the unruly and things. In case of injured people we attendants are there to see to it that they heal, not get themselves wounded more. Going on that limb yourself isn’t going to help her either.” A massive claw gently parted the bunk’s privacy curtain. “Ah, you’re awake? Sorry, but your stop is coming up in a quarter hour. I’ve bandaged your leg after bringing you here seven hours ago. My name’s Iris.” A gentle smile spread on a lovely face framed by lustrous black hair. One huge clawed hand gently held Natty back from jumping in.

For the next twelve minutes Mi-Fi was gently scolded by Natty and Iris in turns while she got dressed and pulled a baggy hat over the mess her hair had become. Feng-Dao’s station was pulled into view as the Quadrail slowed to a gradual stop and Mi-Fi disembarked with a little help. Iris knew she would have to start the sweep of the cabins soon, but instead she reached into her uniform’s pockets and extracted a MARE fit for larger-than-average hands and pressed a button. “Hi moms. Just calling to let you know I’m in the area… Yes, I just need to remain onboard till the next stop, I’ll catch the return trip and meet you there before nightfall. Uhm, you keep an eye or two out for a Cabbit and a wounded Usako in the area. They are nice folks, but I’m a bit worried…. Love you too.” Iris’ smile barely needed the MARE to be conveyed.

Meanwhile Natty led the way through the noonday crowd. Feng-Dao might be a small town by modern standards, the presence of the Quadrail station did ensure that it drew more than a few people looking to buy and rest in between trips. The shops were arrayed in a wide circle around the tracks, the plaza that made up its centre was dotted with stalls, stages and small fields of grass. In larger cities such daymarkets might be said to have stock and performances from around the world, but here it was mostly farmers from villages in the immediate area, a few Kaaiman and Erumo working their trades and glory be, one small troupe of young Celestial Chanters raising their voices in song.

Mi-Fi wanted to watch their performance, but Natty dragged her to a traveling doctor’s stall. The Unicorn physician concluded that Iris’ medical attention had been more than sufficient, but prescribed calming herbs to Natty after catching her glower. “Let it go Natty. I swear, you’ll pop your brains if you keep this up. Shall we get some snacks before leaving?” Mi-Fi tried to put as much persuasion in her voice as she dared. Natty’s protective side had a temper that didn’t get better if she tried to steer it. “Okay Mif, but keep an eye out for any carts going to Yumedai.” Mi-Fi sighed inwardly. Walking would hurt less than another ride, especially in a bumpy cart and she reminded Natty of this quietly.

An hour later they set off on the road to a home that was theirs in heart.

Chapter 2. Sleepy village

Feng-Dao might be considered a hotspot for tourists with its main attractions being the variety of amenities and goods gathered from surrounding settlements. Some tourists would yearn for a quieter environment and go to a smaller town, or village where the amenities were still sufficient to provide some comfort. A rare few might visit Yumedai, looking for the remnants of a time not yet completely past, tempo doeloe. The surrounding fields are tilled for a variety of crops, though traditional rice terrasses climb along the rises in the land. Small woods and streams, sometimes blessed with a small shrine in case of the former and a bridge of the latter, fill in the vacant spaces. At their centre lie the road and the village proper.

A small, but serviceable inn awaits visitors while the local stores occasionally held items for tourists, but mostly for the local populace. Such matters as were required by the empire’s governing body were handled by the village council, consisting of the current elders and three villagers who’d been chosen for a period of three years to sit on the council. Normally, their lives were peaceful, allowing due consideration of weighty matters such as next season’s crops or the passing of property between a deceased person and their chosen heir. It left enough time for them all to experience marital joy. When something upset that peace though, such as the matter at hand, they needed some time to come to grips with the situation.

Fan Wi and his wife Uzumii quietly conversed while the other council members raged, sometimes egged on by their wives. “Husband, what do you make of it?” Uzumii rested her chin on one hand, screening the movement of her lips. Wi replied with slow deliberation. ”Had I not seen Kung Uo walking by myself, I would have dismissed it as a drunkard’s tale Uzu. I can’t recall anything like this ever happening. Or ever learning of such from the village records.” His eyes, still a light brown after all these years glanced longingly at her cleavage before traveling upwards to her eyes and giving a reassuring wink. Uzumii smiled mysteriously as she reached over and put her hand down as a promise. Then her ears perked up and she removed her hand, turning with some speed to face the doors. Wi slapped the lapdesk on the table, getting a hollow boom that silenced the council.

Three polite knocks followed, the accepted means of gaining entry while the council was in session for the villagers. Yet when Wi called for the knocker to enter, he did not recognize the women who stepped in. A Tsuki no Usako with a bandage on her leg and a Cabbit, yet Uzumii moved to them like lightning and wrapped them in a hug. It was then that Fan Wi recognized them as Aosagi Hisana’s grandchildren and moved to greet them as well. Uzumii’s tails curved and wove in elegant movements, a sign of great joy. “Mi-Fi and Natty, welcome back to Yumedai.” He encompassed them and his wife with strong arms and then led them towards two spacious seats normally reserved for imperial envoys.

“Fan-san, it is good to see you again.” Natty’s smile was as warm as ever. Mi-Fi’s was genuine, but tinged with some pain. “I’m sorry it’s been a while Fan-san, Uzu-nee san.” Uzumii grinned as she replied. “It has been too long girls. So did they finally let you two take some time off from that secret project you wrote about?” Wi noted the cloud that passed over Mi-Fi’s face as she spoke. “In a sense Uzu-nee. The flight of the Tsubasa no Hikari had unexpected consequences.” The Fan couple gasped, as did the others present. “As it stands, I could not resume my duties as a test pilot… They told me it is a miracle I’m still a biped given what the examinations showed of the fractures in my leg.”

Natty’s ears drooped. “And, erhhh…. Well, I didn’t want to stick around the Suszaku array after I caught that idiot badmouthing Mi-Fi.” The claws flexing out of her rabbit-like feet attested to the vehemence that had accompanied her reply then, or Wi was the son of a goat. He nodded and spoke: “We heard the news about that flying contraption, but they did not mention whom the pilot was. But you two are always welcome in Yumedai. I take it that you might want to wash the dust of the road away? We’ll put you up of course.” Uzumii smiled her special smile at him then, fangs flashing in appreciation. “I insist of course.” Mi-Fi and Natty smiled happily. “We’d be honoured, Fan-san, Uzu-nee.” Mi-Fi sighed.

“But we hope to gain permission to settle in Yumedai. With our savings combined we hope to purchase grandma’s house from Kung-san.” Mi-Fi’s speech petered out as she noticed the troubled expression creeping over their faces. “I-is something wrong?” Uzumii placed her hand on Wi’s arm and glanced at the other councilmembers before she spoke. “I shall tell them, everyone I ask that you go home. With a little luck we’ll have the issue settled before the next meeting.” She pulled on one of her ears, a sign of her thoughts running to areas she did not like. “Girls, we would love to have you live here in Yumedai. But there’s a situation that we need to talk about. After you two have washed and had a bite to eat.”

Within a few hours she had them presentable enough for her standards, though both verily vibrated with tension. Uzumii had to suppress a smile, though they were now grown up in full, it was so easy to see them as the sweetly mischievous children they had been. Age might creep up slowly to a Zenko, but a part of her dearly wanted for them to still be children and herself thus younger. “I’m glad that you two showed up when you did, for we have a situation that would be easier to resolve with your help.” She took a sip from her tea and sighed. “This morning, Kung Uo left Yumedai. The manner in which he left was in and of itself shocking, as he walked out of town.”

Natty and Mi-Fi blinked. “But he lost his right leg ages ago.” Natty pulled on her ears. “He used to go about in his wheelchair when I last saw him.” Uzumii nodded, wishing Wi hadn’t been called away to resolve a dispute. He had a way with words that eluded her at times. “Yes. You can imagine the stir this caused. An hour or two after, some of the farmers ran in and told us that the house was being besieged by several Ureonggaksi and their families.” She sniffed. “Wi sent a messenger and from the reply we garnered that the house was sold by Kung Uo to the Ureonggaksi. Since Hisana’s will had stipulated that you two would get first refusal on the house should he pass away or move out, we had been discussing the situation before you arrived.”

Both Natty and Mi-Fi took this news rather badly, as expected and only Uzumii’s quick reaction prevented two mamonme-shaped holes from being formed in the walls.

“Easy you two. Rushing off like a hare won’t change things in your favor. Let us go there, calmly and together.” They eventually calmed down, or at least reached a plateau of nervousness that sufficed. As she led them through Yumedai’s paths, anxiety was pushed away from their faces whenever a familiar sight or old friend greeted them. So much the better, stress was bad for the heart and might induce a genuine stampede. The old house had been maintained somewhat. Kung Uo had asked farmhands each year to make repairs, but only for a given amount of money. It had looked a little run down lately in fact. Then they came around the stand of trees and saw the house.

Built on a small rise, it had always looked as if its eaves trailed along the sky as fingers might trail along the edge of the water. Yet at the moment it was not alone. Three family-sized shells stood around it and the rise was veritably slathered in slime from the crisscrossing Ureonggaksi trails. Three very young ones slid down one side of the rise, giggling as they then clambered back up the slope. A different Ureonggaksi, possibly their mother called them, waving a large wooden spoon that had some grains of rice clinging to it On top of the house a man called out to her, asking to save him a portion. She giggled in reply and told him to finish his work first.

Uzumii loved to see such things, as a Zenko she naturally felt drawn to those with kind hearts and a sense of community. She checked her magical reserves, with a little luck she’d not need them, but a prepared Zenko kept her tails. “Hallo~oh! Ho the shells~!” The greeting was a bit archaic, as others considered it, but to Ureonggaksi it was a sign that the caller was at least somewhat willing to behave. The erstwhile cook speedily shuffled closer, followed timidly by the three little girls. A burly man stepped out of one of the shells, put down the box in his hands and sauntered over. “Hello there.” The Ureonggaksi gave a respectful bow.

“I’m Penny, my daughters Minmi, Kiery and Loselise are behind me, my hubby Theo is on the roof and my sister’s hubby Petrovich is.. Ah, hi Petrovich. We’ve got company.” Turning back to Uzumii, she smiled shyly.
“Might I ask your names?” Uzumii returned the bow, then smiled in return. “Of course, I am Fan Uzumii. As one of the… ahem, ‘elders’ of Yumedai it is my duty to welcome prospective settlers. And to address any issues that may arise because of them. The two with me are Aosagi Mi-Fi and Natty. Are you the new owner of this house?” Penny giggled and shook her head.

“No, or not as such. It was obtained by my cousin, who asked us to help clean and repair the place. She’s inside and a bit less mobile than normal. Petrovich, can you go tell her we’ve got guests?” The burly man nodded and spoke a few words in Tethyan dialect. Penny scowled. “No need you big galoot, they don’t mean harm I think. Its impolite too to say such things.” As he moved off Penny shrugged. “He’s a good man, just… wary of strangers. But my sister loves him, take that as proof of his good nature.” She glanced behind after some prodding and saw a small hand point out two more approaching people. “Ah, there you are Abbyl and… Gosh~! Little Iris?”

“Ay-yup aunt Penny.” Out of uniform, wearing a harness for dragging tree trunks on her spiked abdomen and slightly sweaty, Iris was still recognisable to Mi-Fi and Natty and they goggled. Then Iris spotted them and, trundling over, wrapped them in a hug that bugged their eyes out further. “Hey you two, what brings you to this neck o’ the woods? And hello to you miss…?” At that moment the front door opened and all eyes turned that way.

Chapter 3. Best intentions

Mi-Fi extracted herself from Iris’ hug gently, smiling to show she meant no unfriendliness. As her ears caught the familiar creak of the door opening she turned towards it, leaning a hand on one of Iris’ knees. Natty rolled her eyes as she was now being held like a teddybear, since Iris too was looking at the door and not paying attention to her. Petrovich exited the house and all but ran over to Iris and Abbyl, the former dropping Natty to join in the hug that followed. “Oof! All that muscle and I still can’t free myself.” Natty clambered to her feet and joined Mi-Fi. Uzu-nee tried to hide a small smile it seemed, thankfully Natty hadn’t spotted it, caught up as she was in rubbing her hip.

Mi-Fi touched her lightly on the arm in unspoken support then turned her attention back to the muscular man who was barely able to ruffle Iris’ hair without having her bend down. All three glowed with happiness, but soon enough Petrovich, Abbyl held close, turned towards them and inclined his head in apology before speaking. “Eg er hryggur, my apologies you three. I get scolded by wife-systir and cousin of wife for thinking you might be bröttsling out to harm my family. You have met my saetta dottirin and wife?” Mi-Fi smiled, glanced back at Uzu-nee and arched an eyebrow before replying. “Hello Petrovich, no apologies needed. Iris’ helped us back on the Quadrail, but we were a bit surprised to see her here.”

Iris grinned. “Likewise, sheesh if I had known you two were heading here I might have given you a ride. I’m just visiting my family though, but what brings you here?” Natty grumbled, caught between wanting to greet Iris as a potential friend and addressing the situation. “Well, we wanted to move into Yumedai. But then we heard that something strange had happened and that our grandmother’s house had been bought by Ureonggaksi.” She blew out a sharp breath and looked somewhat deflated. Mi-Fi sighed, then nodded. “We’d hoped to convince the new owner that the sale may have been in error as mr. Kung had to abide by the stipulations of grandmother’s will that said we could have first refusal.”

Both Abbyl and Penny went cross-eyed as only Ureonggaksi could achieve it, then made a few attempts at speech until Abbyl nodded at Penny. She spoke then: “I don’t know anything about that, I’m afraid.” Six smaller eyestalks peered around her dress. “Still, I think our cousin can explain it better. Petrovich, what’s the plan?” He scratched his beard, which on closer inspection had a shell-like pattern shaved in. “She said that we need to bring them í húsinu, in house. She’s tired from instructing Pottir, Miccha and Svatti, but she is waiting in hearth-room.” Gesturing, he led all of them towards the house, though Penny and Abbyl veered off to a small stream of smoke coming from Penny’s shell. Minmy, Loselise and Kiery had clambered onto Iris’ abdomen and were happily chatting to their big cousin.

Despite there being new paint on the door, new planks on the veranda and new beams on the roof of the same, Mi-Fi, Natty and Uzumii all felt immediately thrust back into time. Home to the two rabbit-like mamonme and home of a friend to the Zenko. The hall was still hung with drawings Natty and Mi-Fi had made as children, some the worse for wear but most intact. Another Ureonggaksi, presumably Svatti, was busy chasing spiders in the kitchen while a man peered critically at the stairs leading up. Creaks from upstairs must have been from the other one while a gentle snore came from the room with the hearth. Petrovich caught the sound speedily for a human and motioned for them to wait a moment. “Cousin, they are here.” A second later a snort sounded that most women would never admit to making.

“Ooooh, I must have dozed off. I just sat down for a moment to rest my feet.” A self-deprecating chuckle followed. “Well, bring them in please. It ought to be a bit of a surprise if they are whom I think they are.” They took that as their cue and entered. Petrovich’s form blocked their initial view, as only a pair of slippered feet resting on a footstool protruded beyond his legs and the swivel-chair had an encompassing shape. Natty and Uzumii got a first glance and looked surprised, but mainly curious, glancing back at Mi-Fi as if not sure what to make of the woman in the chair, so she stepped forward and very nearly swallowed her tongue in shock. “Heehee, surprise~!”

A soft grey dress speckled with purple designs fell in loose folds across a belly that was far larger than the last time Mi-Fi had beheld it, and its owner whose grey eyes looked a little tired, but friendly. Natty glanced at Mi-Fi, a question not just showing in her eyes, but practically stamped across her face. “Who is this Mi-Fi?” She tried, pointed at the occupant of the chair and made little sounds of amazement. “Phooeey, Cabbit got your tongue Mi-Fi?” Mi-Fi finally found her words. “Goddess Rukia?!?” Uzumii and Natty spun around as if someone had grabbed them by the head and turned. “Heehee, present and still pregnant. I didn’t expect you two to arrive this soon.” Rukia grinned mischievously.

“Truth is, I’d hoped to have the house done before you got here and then watch you goggle over seeing it restored.” She rubbed her belly with a slight frown as the baby kicked. “Oof! She’s getting antsy to be born it seems.” Mi-Fi blinked, then turned to grab Natty before she did something drastic. Her ears had picked up the tell-tale tap-sh-tap of Natty’s claws reacting to her attempts to control her anger. Uzumii also put her hands on Natty, who seemed ready to explode, it didn’t stop her mouth though. “How could you! Its gramma’s house! And you-” Natty found it impossible to continue her tirade as a large purple bandage suddenly covered her mouth and two human seeming arms held her with the strength of their true form. “I’d rather you did not attack my sweet aunt, Natty.” Iris’ voice and face were still the same, but otherwise she appeared human.

Rukia’s face was slightly sad as she spoke. “Its a bit of a shock to her Iris, especially since she’s been fretting over Mi-Fi. I don’t think she’d act this way normally. Now, Natty if you behave I’ll explain a bit.” She sighed. “Looks like I’m still poorly at planning surprises.” Mi-Fi felt sorry for her and apologized for Natty’s behavior. This brought a small smile to Rukia’s face, Natty made an effort to calm herself, finding that the bandage faded magically. “Sorry. I need some answers though and I need them now!” Rukia nodded sagely and made a sign for patience. “Petrov, can you pour us all some applewater?” She sighed happily as a large mug was handed to her, slightly smaller ones were passed around and seats were found as well.

“Well, where to begin?” Rukia bit her nail, her raccoon-like ears and tail spinning slow circles. “Its a bit hard to put it in a perspective that’s not too overwhelming, but let me try like so.” She cleared her throat. “I am Rukia of Ishfell-Wayfarer-Saerti and these fine folks here are part of my family. As Mi-Fi noted, I am a Goddess, though as is plain I’m also a Mamonme. An Azeban Danuki to be precise.” She hiccupped. “In other words, someone who ascended. On merits I might add, much like many others before and after. My sisters and I share our husband Aerdayasêr and to some degree our divine domains. We’ve also become mothers recently as we consider our children to have three moms.” She grinned. “Much like mom and aunt Miho really.”

“Little Mihoni came out of her egg shortly after Emmy gave birth to Sêrune and Solsêr. Such cute babies, though… the twins take after Emmy.” She wrinkled her nose ruefully. “Thankfully we have a well ventilated baby chamber.” Iris nodded then, smiling beautifully. “They’re so cute though.” Rukia smiled as well. “True, as was another little baby I seem to recall, who now works on that quadra-contraption. Still, I’m due in a bit too.” She sighed. “Anyway, though I am also the sole Goddess of nappies, my sisters and I share the domain of education. In other words, we’re teacher Goddesses.” She laughed then. “Aered’s in on that gig too, truth be told. But for him, its still just a means to pass the time until his domain becomes relevant.”

A slightly sad look came to her then. “Our husband is the God of Stellar Exploration... It might take another millennium before folks on Praxis can make spacecraft and do just that. In the meantime we’ve a pretty busy task keeping Aered occupied, though finally having babies helps.” She grinned so meaningfully that nobody missed just how they usually occupied him. “Several months ago, when Emmy got pregnant and Metala gravid, well… we had a go at exploring and preserving the orbital ruins. Not an easy task, especially as I too finally conceived and pregnancy complicates things.” She burped loudly. “Whoops, sorry. Imagine our surprise though when all of a sudden Aered brings in a wounded Tsuki no Usako.”

Mi-Fi nodded, wincing a little as she spoke. “An unintentional arrival, as I explained back then.” Rukia shrugged. “A fortuitous one though. You were in critical condition rightly as your left leg had been… pulverized. Had Emmy not been too pregnant to do a better job of it… Oh well, I didn’t do too badly, considering. How’s the leg, on aside?” Rukia glanced at Mi-Fi’s leg and she answered. “Honestly, it still bleeds and hurts if I use it too much, but I can walk and even run if needed.” Rukia sighed. “Do not run.” Her tone brooked no buts. “I’ll take a look at it in a bit, though it looks like Iris bandaged you ably.” She reached over and squeezed Iris’ hand tenderly. “She’s great with medicine and healing, though my niece has some skill at magic as well. Uhm… How much longer by the way?” Iris shrugged. “A few more minutes, sorry aunt Rukia. Shape-changing isn’t that easy.”

Rukia nodded. “Finish your drink then, and go play with your tiny cousins, I’ll pop over before I have to go.” Iris did just that, after hugging those staying behind, Petrovich left along with her. “I just adore them you know… Well, you do know, mrs. Fan, right?” Rukia queried. Uzumii nodded. “Long lives can be a burden Rukia, please call me Uzumii, or Uzu if you will. I prefer first-names” Rukia nodded. “Back to the matter at hand, The big surprise was the book we found in the aircraft. We’d been resigned to the fact that most people would not know of our early adventures… Though they have been of influence on Praxis’ history. Hehehe, they and everything else we’ve done since was pretty fun. But since they were… suppressed, lost to time… and so on, it was amazing to see that some had been gathered by your grandmother.”

Rukia winked. “She got a few things wrong, but the core is right. And since a little bird told us about your plans to go to Yumedai and get the stories published I figured it wouldn’t hurt to help you settle in a little more easily.” Natty blinked. “Uhm… But why didn’t you give Mi-Fi a new leg like you did for Kung-san? And why are these Ureonggaksi and their family repairing the house? If I may ask without getting gagged again?” Rukia nodded, clearly expecting the questions. “Honestly?” She tooted. “That’s just about what I can manage at the moment, sorry. Thus I asked my cousins and their families to help out refurbishing the house. As for Kung Uo’s leg, I hate to break it to you, but it’s a prosthetic. A magical one that works as well as a real leg, but can’t feel worth a damn or heal itself.”

She reached into one pocket and drew forth a scale model, flexing it between her fingers. “I’m proud of the spellcraft in these. If you attach it, it won’t pop off without a command word, it’ll react to input from your brain. But it can’t feel anything as I said. And its… not really all that durable. Not the way I hope it’ll be one day. If I’d put one on Mi-Fi, she’d never run, jump or swim again for fear of breaking it.” She replaced the tiny limb and used her slipper to point at Mi-Fi’s leg. “Her leg, though damaged, is far better. I had to pull some strings with the Twin World Foundation to get a maintenance card for that Kung fellow. Funny really, but I didn’t think mom or dad expected the company they founded to become… This gentle behemoth spanning two worlds.” Mi-Fi blinked, the foundation had been one of the key contributors to the Tsubasa no Hikari.

“Your… parents founded it?” She could not keep the sheer perplexity out of her voice. “Yes, it started as a merger of their peddling businesses. Trading Tales, the international company.” Rukia beamed with pride. “During and after the nameless war they, and the rest what would become our family, worked to raise money to end the war. They invested in farms and businesses to feed, clothe and otherwise supply Praxis and it just grew from there. Every Saerti-clan member is given shares at birth, though… Really when they are old enough to use them is when they are handed over. And then there’s the New Heaven Foundation, basically the same thing, but the stockholders are those who have crossed over.”

Uzimii realized she was gaping and shut her mouth with an audible clack that Natty and Mi-Fi caught. “But, but… Those stories took place over a thousand years ago. Hisana told me! How could any company last that long?” Rukia held up a finger. “By three means. Staying in the family. Said family following the ways of Saerti, Miho and other heroes. And by adapting to the times.” Rukia yawned. “I’m a little tired, so I’m going to go… I need to keep some energy for the triplets and Iris before Aered’ll pick me up.” Mi-Fi stood up and clasped hands, followed by Natty. “Thank you lady Rukia, for everything. I.. I’m still a bit flabberghasted, but-” Rukia shook her head. “Think nothing of it. I might visit again later… Or send someone who knows the stories first-hand as well. First though, I need to get my bun out of the oven.”

She was assisted to her feet by Natty and Mi-Fi, checked the latter’s leg then shook hands with them and Uzumii and finally waddled out of the house. “Is she really a Goddess, you think?” Natty’s right ear drooped quizzically. Uzumii and Mi-Fi nodded in unintentional unison, but the former spoke first. “She is. I can sense not just her magical reserves, which are gargantuan, but also her divine nature.” She shivered. “I’ve never been comfy around the idea of meeting one of the Gods, but she was genuinely kind. And powerful, dear Matrika, she’s stronger in magic than a Zenko with nine tails.” She covered her face with a hand. “I’ll go back and inform Wi and the others… I would suggest you two stay a little longer and thank the... Saerti’s. But if you want to, I’ve got beds for you two. Wi and I would love to spend more time with you.” Her tails wove an intricate pattern. “But you know that.”

They did and they wore their hearts on their sleeves when they promised to visit soon. Left alone, bar the creaking from upstairs and the rattling in the kitchen, Mi-Fi and Natty sat down on the rug in front of the hearth, feeling cast back in time and fighting a teasing feeling that they’d wake up from this dream, sleeping on said rug. “So… now what?” Natty looked small as she sat there. “I’d figured I’d have… days of work ahead fixing the place up alone.” Mi-Fi sighed inwardly. “Well, we might have a roof over our heads tonight. But Uzu-nee is right, we should thank the Ureonggaksi and their families before we do much else.” She sniffed. “It smells like grandma’s house again, don’t you think?” Natty sniffed, slightly more loudly. “Yeah, though gramma’s not here. Her scent is the only thing missing.”

They nodded in unison, then spent a few moments making themselves presentable again. Dusk was creeping over Yumedai as they ventured outside to witness the erstwhile Saerti-clan members setting down to dinner on the lawn. It was a bit unnerving to hear ginormous stomach-growls coming from their feet, but people spending any amount of time around an Ureonggaksi soon stopped being intimidated. Mi-Fi held fast to Natty’s hand as they slip-slided their way past the slimy trails and came to the slime-proof blanket surrounding a large cauldron of rice. Mi-Fi waited politely until the Ureonggaksi who must be Svatti spotted them and prodded Penny and Abbyl.
Natty wriggled nervously with her tail, desperately wishing for Mi-Fi to start the talking.

Mi-Fi smiled and gave a formal, if friendly bow that Natty followed a fraction of a moment later, then spoke.
“Hello, we’re sorry to interrupt your dinner, but we wanted to thank you… all of you… for all that you have done. And apologize for being a bit rude earlier, such was not our intention, but the unexpected events of today surrounding our grandmother’s house were a little shocking.” Natty nodded and added: “It isn’t an excuse, but it has been a trying time. Uhm… I’m a little grouchy when stressed, sorry.” She scratched the back of her head, her ears flopping forward. Penny smiled at them, as did Abbyl and Svatti, the latter actually grinned as she shuffled closer.

“Don’t sweat it. I’m Svatti, Pottir over there’s my darling husband and that strapping young man is our son Miccha. You know my cousins, and their husbands and kids.” She pulled on one corner of her mouth with a pinky, her eyestalks looking to her cousins, whom nodded. “Now, I’ve got the kitchen in there… somewhat less filthy, but I’d still not eat anything cooked there at this moment. So, would you two like to join us for dinner? Its mostly simple rice and chopped veggies, but I’ll stake my shell on it tasting delicious.” Penny nodded as well then. “I’m afraid the broiled mozur side-dish is a little… well done, but the rice is as soft as butterstem on your tongue. You don’t have any allergies for it I hope?”

Mi-Fi shook her head, Natty just chuckled. “We’d love to accept the invitation, right Mif?” Mi-Fi raised an eyebrow. “You need to ask, Nat?” They shared a laugh that soon spread to the gathered family. Mi-Fi had thought that the cauldron’s worth of rice might also be intended for breakfast on the next morrow. But though the four humans present ate moderately and neither she nor Natty, nor Iris for that matter ate too much of the rice, the Ureonggaksi emptied it in one hour and even then were debating whether or not to make more. “I dunno Penny, maybe we just went through a lot of calories today, but...” Abbyl sighed. “I could do with another bowl. Two actually. Maybe I’ve even got room for three.”

Penny shrugged, looking slightly worried. “You don’t think we’re expecting? Or did cousin Rukia play a prank, again?” Presently Loselise pulled on her dress and grinned mischievously. “Mama, look at th’caul-de-ron.” Kiery and Minmi were giggling and Penny turned to see a note stuck to the rim. It read: Couldn’t resist, if you ate the filler, here’s the rest of the real rice. ~Rukia. “OooooohH! She’s a mischievous one, our Rukia.” Abbyl and Svatti affirmed this, wondering aloud how Rukia had done this. Over near Mi-Fi, Iris grinned and spoke to the guests. “Aunt Rukia’s really sweet, but she’s mischievous when bored. And being unable to cast as much magic as she normally can, or wants, while near the end of her term?” Iris laughed aloud. “I’m just glad she kept it simple this time.”

Mi-Fi had to ask. “She does that a lot?” Iris nodded, looking like a veteran soldier at that moment. “Yoo~ou bet’cha. Its always as much fun to be pranked as it is for her to prank you though. She taught me quite a bit really.” Iris’ eyes twinkled. “Not to brag, but I’ve a bit of talent for magic and she spotted it first.” One massive hand trailed through the air, etching a figure in light. “Its useful for my job, but I’m happier when I can just use it for something nicer, like entertaining my little cousins.” She looked a little sheepish as she added: “I guess I’m still a bit childish, but its so endearing to see three gap-tooth smiles break on their faces.” Mi-Fi chuckled at that and Natty smiled before replying. “We’re not the best folks to comment on that objectively. Heck, we grew up here and just like before we let Uzu-nee take the lead. I might as well order a pair of carrot-shaped pacifiers.”

Iris roared with laughter, when she calmed somewhat she waggled a finger dismissively. “I’ll see your offer and raise mine by admitting that my cousins like to have me play the part of their pie-rate landship.” Mi-Fi and Natty giggled. “Uzu-nee still locks the upper cupboards when we visit, afraid we might eat something toxic.” Iris snorted with mirth as Mi-Fi relayed that bit of info, then spoke in a hush. “I still let mom tuck me in and kiss me goodnight whenever I stay over in her shell.” She winked, blushing slightly. The pinkish tinge her gray cheeks took on had a very cute appeal. “Uhm, don’t mention that to others though.” She smiled. “I think we’ll be good friends, if… if you two aren’t worried about having me in your contacts list.”

Natty snorted then. “Don’t be silly. Here, have a looksie.” She retrieved her MARE from its clip on her belt and after some searching pressed a small button next to a crystal set into the device. It lit up and projected a sphere of orange light with a tumbling carrot that disappeared as a fierce woman appeared in its stead. “Estr’lla is a very sweet girl, but some people judge her for being born to Taintpledged. And yeah, she’s not someone they care for.” Natty used a small cogwheel in the side of the MARE to scroll through several other contacts, whose pictures briefly appeared in the light. “I’d love to add you to my contacts, Mif does as well.” Mi-Fi nodded, showcasing her new MARE, the old one lost with the Tsubasa no Hikari.

It was slightly larger and featured three crystals instead of the one, she beeped up her contacts list and asked the question on her tongue. “So, what’s your node-code?” Iris fished the largest MARE they had ever seen out of the jacket she had worn to dinner and sheepishly booted it up. “Erhm, mine’s a bit tricky, but 879-IR-011-IS-452. And yours?” Mi-Fi replied: “Cool, you have your name in it? Mine’s 767-FI-777-LL-133” Natty also gave her node-code and all three let the crystals take their pictures. Iris’ eyes peeked with interest at Mi-Fi’s device though. “Can I have a look?” Mi-Fi nodded and handed over the device. Iris let out a low whistle. “This is a top-end new model, it even has-” She pressed a button carefully and a segment slid out that started buzzing.

“Ahh, a single gal’s helper.” Chuckling, she made the device retract its rather lewd component.
Mi-Fi blushed. “Its never been used Iris.” Natty nodded as well. “You’re into tech stuff then, Iris?” For the remainder of the evening they chatted, finding that they shared more than a few fields of interest.

Chapter 4. Reflection and premonition

Uzumii took great care not to show the two girls just how shaken she had been by the encounter. It was one of the reasons that she had not taken them back home immediately as she hated seeming less than composed in front of those whom she’d helped to raise. She bade the Ureonggaksi outside a pleasant goodbye and asked that they visit the town hall in the morning for a bit of hospitality. She’d omitted mentioning that she’d serve mocchi with the tea though, or she’d have them swarming all over the place long before night proper had spread its blanket over the world. She took a roundabout route through the woods, noting where spidery and snaily tracks intersected missing trees. Small saplings basted with good mulch stood in their place, something she was grateful for. A clearing nearby was where she headed next.

An old log preserved by her magic served as a seat while she sorted her thoughts. Zenko were not opposed to the Gods on average, but like anyone with half a brain they were leary of Celestial tantrums. Given that Lady Eiraiha had laid down and enforced strict yet fair rules for Gods on Praxis, these could not be as devastating as would otherwise be the case… Think localized lightning strikes and the like for mortals that had dared to cheat, or scorn a Celestial lover. Yet nothing alike the destruction of an entire city or a maelstrom that would swallow a fleet such as old texts suggested had happened ages ago. But smaller scale catastrophes still were catastrophes.

Mi-Fi had nearly lost a leg, had lost several millions’ worth of equipment and the job she had chased so passionately. All because of one minor Goddess who had gotten embarrassed about her tryst amid the clouds being observed. Uzumii cursed the blasted woman silently and resolved to keep the girls from further Celestial harm. Rukia had made a good first impression, but given a choice Uzumii would rather not see her again. A gentle sigh escaped her lips. Those Ureonggaksi though, sweet people, they and their families. Were it not for the Celestial relatives, she’d have suggested immediately to consider settling. That line of thinking was… problematic though.

Yumedai had been founded by her ancestors as a safe haven for those who did not thrive in the ever more alien environments of the big cities. Hospitality towards prospective settlers was a key hallmark expected of the town’s elders. Something that Uzumii did not excel at if she were honest with herself. She chewed on a sprig of wild clover as she mulled this over. Her issue stemmed from bitter experience two and a half centuries earlier when a terminally ill Al Miraj had stumbled into town, bearing the wonderful gift known as the rizine plague. Uzumii had lost her first husband then and half the populace of Yumedai as the disease ran its course.

Healers had not been able to do anything for the small village then as other parts of Zipangu suffered the same fate. She still had nightmares at times, seeing the pale yellow splotches appear on the faces of those she loved that would then dissolve the flesh underneath. Thankfully not as often since she had married Wi. Thinking of him brought a broad smile to her face and warm desire to the rest of her body. He’d been a child when they first met, a little boy who had declared his love for her in the first week of meeting her. She’d resisted temptation for more than a decade before caving in and finding marital bliss on a level she’d not expected to ever experience again.
She returned from her recollections to find a wild fox sniffing at her legs and flushed with embarrassment.

Though a mamonme, her unconscious release of pheromones when in the mood occasionally attracted unwanted attention from the animals that Zenko shared a bond with, ancestrally. She gently dissuaded the young male and ran back home, thinking to refrain mentioning this to Wi in favor of sating their mutual desire. He’d borne up well to the longevity their marriage had bestowed upon him, though they both mourned the lack of children in their life together. Perhaps that was why she seemed more like a Lamia around such children as came to Yumedai, acting like their big sister more than anything else. Branches whipped overhead as she left the forest in a mighty leap, landing perfectly on the stone in their garden’s pond.

The gentle croaking of amphibious life continued unabated as she lightly sprang clear of the water, her friends in the pond were used to her habits after generations of experience. As she made to open the door, Wi pulled it open and grinned at seeing her looking slightly surprised. Had he waited behind the door all this time? “Welcome home Uzu, I’ve got dinner ready, and a story to share.” Wi gently, yet firmly led her inside where her curiosity bloomed into full fledged wonder as the smell of honey-roasted Gatush greeted her. It had been a favourite dish of her youth, but the species of bird had sadly enough gone extinct… hadn’t it?

Wi laughed his rolling laugh as she dabbed at a bit of drool marring her lips. “I see my source was well-informed Uzu. Does it smell good? I’m not sure if I got the seasonings right.” She was feeling off-balance, and sought to check herself for concussion. “Shrinebearer of my heart, am I dreaming? That’s Gatush I smell, a species of bird that has gone extinct ages ago.” Wi shrugged. “In Zipangu maybe, but this one comes from NeverNeverLand. Apparently they thrive there.” They finally reached the table and Wi tenderly pressed her into her usual chair. Moving with a grace that belied his age, he strode into the kitchen and barely a minute later emerged bearing a tray dominated by the roast bird and served them both a goodly portion, slightly more meat for her.

As they ate, Wi started talking. “Shrinemaiden ever beloved, I am very curious to know what happened at Hisana’s house, but perhaps I should speak first of what happened after you were gone with the girls.” He deliberated for a moment, considering what he wanted to say. “I’d just returned from that bickering pair who spent the last five years trying to claim a bit of land less than three hands wide and… Well, I found a young man asleep in the waiting area. A foreigner, so I thought, with reddish brown hair and the signs of exhaustion common to young parents.” Wi laughed again, though there might have been a tinge of regret to it.

“So I prepared some tea while he napped, then wakened him. It was a bit of a shock, by the look on his face.” Wi paused to savor the tender meat on the bird’s leg and sighed contentedly. “Marvelous, I might be a simple cook, but this turned out excellently.” Uzumii concurred, licking the bone clean before snapping it in twain to get at the marrow. “Back to the tale, he shocked me a bit with his eyes. All the colours of the rainbow served as his irises… Apparently fortunes were with us as the God Aerdayasêr decided to grace the village, though not in official capacity.” Uzumii yipped in alarm. “Easy Uzu. He just dropped off some paperwork for the Ureonggaksi and their families who want to settle here. Some… relations of his if I understand correctly. And he deposited the papers to Hisana’s house in the name of the girls.”

Wi tapped the remnants of the bird. “And then he got a call from one of his wives to remind him to give this to us. Not as a bribe or something trite mind, but as a favour to a mutual friend.” Without another word he handed her a small card written in a familiar hand. It read:”Uzumii and Wi, I hope this reaches you safely. Please welcome my granddaughters back into Yumedai and give them the love they will need. Some new settlers will also apply, I hope that you’ll consider them as they are kind at heart. When your time comes, we’ll meet again. ~Aosagi Hisana”. Uzumii coughed up a flake of marrow that stuck to Wi’s forehead. “How!?!?” She howled the word. Wi smiled and patted her between the ears.

“Hisana was welcomed into Nu-oh Tenshi apparently.” He leaned back, removing the flake absently and taking a root from his bowl that he chewed slowly. “So were most others we knew.” Uzumii nodded, thinking back to the remark made by Rukia, and her own response. Wi might have been fortified to live longer, but that did not lessen the hurt of losing friends. Not for him, or for her. But rather than let him dwell too long on it, she told her own tale. The moon shone high overhead by the time they left for their futons, though sleep was still a long time away as Uzumii needed a release. As she finally drifted off to sleep her mind reflected that she’d need every second of it if small bunnygirls would come knocking in the morning.

Perhaps it was a result of eating Gatush, but she dreamt of her early youth, a happy little Zenko skipping through the woodlands in search of adventure. Her parents lived in a small house next to a shrine dedicated to peaceful living and had allowed her free reins as long as she kept her MARE close, one much clunkier than today’s models. It had bounced around, smacking her tush every other bounce, even with the padded beltcase. Yet it now seemed to weigh heavier than ever before and within a few moments twilight fell over the forest. Something moved within the suddenly hostile environment. Flaming green eyes narrowed at her, then moved away with malevolent intent.

She ran back home, only now Yumedai stood there, its buildings sagging and the fields laying fallow. A fear-inducing shape loomed over the town, indistinct yet terrifyingly huge. She readied her magic, yet it failed. She glanced at her arm and saw bare bone fading on the wind. It gathered near her home, coalescing into a tombstone. She shot awake with a howl of horror and a look of terror that Wi tried his best to ease from her face and mind. A premonition of great danger?

Chapter 5. Touch the shell

Mi-Fi rose from the futon well rested if not yet awake fully. Lightly stepping over Natty, who habitually wrestled her pillow while asleep, she made her way to the bathroom and flicked the on button of the rabbit-shaped receiver. Slight static followed as the device tuned in to the broadcast nexus. “News please.” Mi-Fi yawned as her hands sought and found the toothbrush. “...Good morning listeners~! The waves are green, the gulls are nowhere in sight and my captain’s toooo cute. Grace of Wings comin’ at you live with the latest news.” Mi-Fi frowned, idly wondering why each Phantom Ship radio station wasted so much time on trivial things. “There was a major collision between the Rockport Candy and the caravel Saint Gohn, the former had to tow the stricken ship to port, then pay for damages by taking on the passengers and cargo bound for other destinations. It goes to show you shouldn’t play with your captain in the midst of a shipping lane.”

Mi-Fi nodded absently, using fibrous wire to clean in between her teeth. “Just in, thank you my captain, tensions continue to mount between the Darklands and Zipangu. The empress, may she live forever, has ordered the fleet on standby. The army too, but they do that at the drop of an anchor anyway.” Natty entered the bathroom, grumbling. “Moving on, have I got something nice for you folks in Zipangu today~! We had the famous seer Onndra aboard yesterday, when she disembarked this morning I spotted the first lilliyu building a nest. Summer’s officially here and the weather looks to be good for the next few days.” There was a pause while someone indistinctly spoke in the background.

“Oooh, right, almost forgot it. My darling captain just reminded me that we’re having a contest for our faithful listeners. Just beep up your MARE or ARE to-” “Must they always prattle so much in the morning Mif?” Natty hated the morning broadcasts as they dispelled her pleasant dreams. Mi-Fi smiled, her mouth full of rinsing liquid, as Grace of Wings continued to broadcast. “Hummm, now for these predictions by our prior guest. If you’re even part rabbit then you’ll be lucky if you touch an Ureonggaksi shell today.” Natty’s bad mood broke at that with a peal of laughter that ejected her toothbrush. Mi-Fi snorted out the mouthwash, partially through her nose. “Looks like we’ll be triply lucky today then, eh Nat?”

“Yup Mif. Now where did that blasted toothbrush go?” Mi-Fi wiped her face before helping Natty find it. They tuned out a little as the broadcast shifted to another station when Grace of Wings bade them farewell, promising an exposé on how to optimally use the crow’s nest when in company of a dashing man. The audible groan in the background suggested that the methods would be tested before then. Natty sighed, picking fluff from the folds in her ears before washing them. Mi-Fi suspected that her sister would run a risk of being late for the interview if she kept fussing and said so. Natty responded rather cattily: “They won’t hire me if I look like a bum, Mif!”

Mi-Fi shrugged, making a perfunctory grooming of her own, more floppy ears and reflecting that life in Yumedai had turned out nicely so far. The Saerti’s had finished with the house, then moved their shells to a more optimal space just below the rise on which grandma’s… their house stood. Today Mi-Fi would babysit the three little girls while their mom and aunts went out to buy ‘a decent supply of rice’. In more common terms, rice enough that they’d need another shell to serve as a storage silo to hold it probably. Mi-Fi liked rice well enough, but nowhere near as much as any Ureonggaksi seemed to.

She was a bit more worried about Uzu-nee though. The Zenko had experienced a nightmare that she deemed prophetic but which all but a few dismissed as just a nightmare. The alternative was… not nice to ponder. “So Natty, you’ll be gone till the evening, right? Should I save you a portion or will you try the eateries in Feng-Dao?” Natty sighed, licking her thumb lightly before replying. “Well, Iris offered to show me this nifty bar-grill. Who knows? There may even be a cute guy around.” Natty tilted her head and peered critically at her reflection. “Looking good, right?” Mi-Fi grinned teasingly. “But Natty, how would I know? I’ve only known you for sixteen years and still habitually think you should wear a ribbon and bell ensemble everywhere.”

Natty stuck out her tongue. “Sixteen years of enduring that joke’s gotta count for something. Now, do I look good enough to leave the house? Or should I borrow a shellpack to wear over my head?” Mi-Fi nodded sagely before speaking: “I don’t see how a shellpack would improve matters, but bring it along anyway. You’ll need something to catch their drool with, looking so good. Go on, if you fuss anymore you’ll be as white-haired as me before you get out of the house.” Natty grinned ruefully, then hugged her before dashing off. Mi-Fi allowed herself a smile as she caught the distant thumps when Natty ‘touched’ the Shells of their new neighbours. “I ought to get going too.” So thinking, she gathered her book, notes and writing materials in a shoulderbag before leaving the house.

The trip down to the shell homes went a lot more smoothly now that her leg was feeling a bit better. It was healing well enough she supposed. Her training as a pilot had included first aid, but this was something only a trained physician could judge properly. Unconsciously, she touched a shell, Svatti’s by chance, and went to Penny’s door. “Good morning~! Penny, I’m here to take care of the girls.” The door cracked open and Penny’s pale face peered out. “Ohh, its you Mi-Fi. Thank goodness, a few minutes ago something hit the shell… It was scary.” Mi-Fi blushed, embarrassed for the unintended effects Natty’s enthusiasm had garnered.

“Sorry Penny, Natty heard on the radio that it’d be good luck to touch an Ureonggaksi shell today. Since she was running late I guess she didn’t slow down.” Mi-Fi giggled, shrugging slightly. “You don’t need to be afraid, in these parts a loud thump is most likely caused by a familiar Cabbit.” Penny blew out a long breath, shaking her head and looking dejected. “You’d think we’d be less easily spooked, given just how many different folks are part of the Saerti-clan. But we’re still just little Ureonggaksi.” Mi-Fi felt moved to put a comforting hand on Penny’s arm. “I think anyone would be scared if Natty thumped their house. Cabbits are so energetic and enthusiastic that you need an… well... an extra pair of eyes to spot them when running.” Penny laughed so much in response she needed to clean her dress after, having slimed herself.

Meanwhile Natty was racing along the road. She did not dislike a slow walk, but going all out while running just felt so magnificent, as if the horizon was rushing towards her. Mi-Fi could run well before, for an Usako, but she missed the hair-trigger ability to spot obstacles and the reflexes to dodge them at the speed Natty now maintained. Not her absolute top speed of course, but one that still made her feel active while not tiring her out. Or make her terribly sweaty. She’d packed her clothes for the interview in a neat little bag that hung down her back while keeping a sportswear bikini on for the trip. It left her legs on display of course, one of the reasons she’d picked this one instead of the ever popular ‘school shorts’.

While running and dodging by instinct she let her mind wander for a moment. The whole surprise of having the house restored almost before they got there had thrown her personal plans into a bit of a tangle. Natty, being honest with herself, found that she missed working at the Suszaku Array where her natural talent for spotting and tracking fit like a glove with her job as counter-interference expert. A fancy title for looking at several screens receiving camera and scrying-orb feeds from around Zipangu and beyond. If something dangerous flew through the air and threatened to hit an aircraft she’d know which was in danger and take steps to solve the problem. Be that alerting the aircraft to fly lower or higher, or calling on a Sorceress to deal with the issue by blasting it out of the sky.

Not always though, some issues required a more delicate approach. She’d saved an experimental springloaded vehicle and its pilot once by having a flock of Harpy-kin intercept it. Durned fool had forgotten a means to stop bouncing about in his attempt to go to the moon. But Suszaku was a closed chapter to her now, when a co-worker had publicly vented his spleen about it being Mi-Fi’s fault for losing the experimental aircraft they had all been involved in. A red mist had descended on Natty’s mind and she’d kicked the seat of his pants hard enough to send him through the wall. Nevermind that it was a thin wall or that he’d been swearing up a storm right after, the management held her responsible.

The moment they wanted to fire her was when she’d just finished her resignation and stuffed it into the approaching secretary’s mouth for good measure. Hopefully this new gig, one that Iris had alerted her to via the MARE messenger system, would be fun. Natty thought to check on how long she had to go when she spotted a sign that made her stop and curse vehemently. It read: Now leaving Feng-Dao. She also noticed her sweaty odour and made a bee-line back to the town and its station. Fortunately she still had nearly half an hour, so she scooted into a public bathhouse and bought a small bottle of scented soap that foamed nicely during her shower.
From the next stall over some muffled sounds, which indicated that a couple shared it if Natty was any judge. She grinned and peeked through a convenient knothole in the wall. She was rewarded with a peculiar sight. The couple inside were both human, but the girl was dressed up with a fake bunny tail and ears of the same make. Mamonme-fetishists, a somewhat rare sight these days. Some human women wanted to be mamonme-like without actually changing species and some human men thought this was ’hot’. Natty grinned, wishing she’d invested in a recording device so she could preserve this for later. The ticking of the clock intruded on her musings though, so she replaced the knothole plug and toweled off, finding it hard to resist going for a private climax.

Her dress-clothes felt good on her body though and she skipped through the street towards the offices associated with the Quadrail company. As she approached the door, a familiar large hand tapped her on the shoulder and Iris grinned at Natty. “So, ready Natty? You look neat enough… But aren’t you nervous at all?” Iris winked. “You’re about to step into the Ushi-Oni’s den after all.” Natty snorted as she tried to keep her laughter inside. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world Iris.” She related the uneventful trip and the unexpected sight at the bathhouse as they went inside. The building was surprisingly neat, if a bit wide in the corridors and doors to accommodate the large frames of Ushi-Oni.

“I’m glad they built this with us in mind.” Iris absentmindedly spoke as she paused to straighten a picture that had been hanging slightly crooked. “I happen to be good at taking on a human form and I’ve tried to teach a few of the others, but they’ve gone through a few buildings before the management understood the need for a bit more space. Speaking of which, you’ll need to go down that hallway and up the stairs.” She looked thoughtful. “Unless you want to take a climb with me?” Natty agreed and Iris led her to what at first glance appeared to be a wide elevator shaft with walls made of beams with plenty of space in-between. Two Ushi-Oni could climb up or down side-by-side easily and still have enough room to haul something along. It gave Natty an idea.

“Snail-face! This ain’t the lah-di-dah stairs, tell your little fluffball where to go.” The rough voice dropped closer along with its owner, a scarred Ushi-Oni with one eye and bent spikes on her abdomen. Iris put her arms to her sides in a way that Natty had indeed seen many Ureonggaksi do and replied tersely. “Mind your own business Aggridth and don’t call someone you’ve never met a fluffball.” Aggridth spat. “I’ll call anyone what I damn well call them. And this isn’t a climb for any little fragile fluffballs, one fall and she’ll be broken.” Natty sighed, feeling her temper stir. “I do not know you, but I’d suggest that you get a monocle. I’m a Cabbit, not a fluffball. And calling Iris names isn’t smart, since you’d be a shoe-in for cart-butt.”

Aggridth looked furious for a moment, then broke out in laughter. “Not easily intimidated, eh? And a good mouth on you too.” She extended a massive hand. “Aggridth Swarnath, the senior engineer hereabouts, nice to meet you.” Natty felt a little non-plussed but accepted the handshake and introduced herself. The climb after was surprisingly easy, anyone with strong legs could manage it really, though none like she did, bouncing from wall to wall while Iris and Aggridth goggled, the former having one hand on a beam. “Ohh-kay, she’s a bouncing ball, not a fluffball.” Aggridth looked impressed, Iris merely grinned in reply as she climbed swiftly after. This was already shaping up to be an interesting day.

Chapter 6. Dancing Spider

At the top of the shaft used by the Ushi-Oni of the Quadrail company Natty caught her breath. Using wall jumps to ascend had been fun, but it wouldn’t do to be breathing hard during the interview. Besides, Iris was still climbing upwards and Natty wanted to make sure she looked her best. Taking a compact from her belt pocket, she surveyed the damage done by her bouncing, then used the built-in comb to tease her hair back into its short but sweet model. “Come on Natty, you’re here for a job-interview, not the miss Praxis election.” Iris rose into view, a scrabbling sound indicating that one of her eight legs had misstepped, but to no harm. “Soooo… Here we are, the personnel office is just down this corridor.”

Iris trundled past Natty, humming to herself. “That was quite a sight by the by. I didn’t think you could bounce all the way up here.” Natty grinned. “Well, that was nothing really. Cabbits have extremely strong legs, and good reflexes. You can’t do it without both, or you’ll drop down. Hard.” She gazed speculatively at Iris’ legs. “I’m guessing your legs are strong enough though?” Iris nodded before replying. “Ay-yup, though I can’t kick off like you do, from one leg to another. But Aggridth can jump more than half-way up the building, I’ve not tried it myself yet though.” She shyly shrugged. “I’m worried one of my spikes will get stuck in the wall, or worse, that I’ll go through the wall entirely.” She stopped outside of a sliding door and knocked.

“Miss Harou, its Iris. I’ve brought the applicant along.” Natty rolled her eyes at this, then stepped inside as permission was given. The office had plenty of floorspace and a few mattresses in case one of the Ushi-Oni wanted to sit down, but the desk was sized for a human and the woman seated there was indeed human in appearance. “Hello Iris, and welcome Natty.” Miss Harou gestured to the mattresses from force of habit before pointing out a hard-backed chair in front of the desk. “Can I offer the two of you a refreshment? Water? Affeine? Maybe lemonade?” Iris blushed and nodded. Natty raised an eyebrow. “I’d like lemonade as well, please.” A few moments later they held their glasses and were engaged in small talk.

“The company had a rough start to be sure, not everyone was keen on having such… ‘infernal contraptions’ transporting people. Some claimed it would put the Bovitaurides off their milk, cause a heart-attack with every Ureonggaksi and Shongororo, and ad addenda.” Miss Harou, first name Suyie, was a buff on the company’s history and Quadrail development. “As you may have noticed, some of our senior employees have a collection of scars.” Natty nodded. “Well, let me be honest with you, there have been more than a few accidents. Even though we’ve managed to improve the safety value of the cars, engines and so on. If you wish to work for us, then you need to impress these facts into your mind.”

Miss Harou pulled a folder out of the desk and handed it to Natty. Inside were photographs that showed in grotesque detail the damages a derailed early model Quadrail had done. She shivered as her mind reflected that had these pictures been in colour, she would have noticed a lot more blood. “Yeah...” She swallowed for a moment. “Kind of like an aeroplane crashing into the barracks… But worse, since these ride through the cities and are way larger.” She returned the folder across the desk. “Iris mentioned that you have implemented several countermeasures though, to minimize the damage.” Natty thought for a moment, carefully phrasing her next question. “In my previous job, everyone involved was encouraged to think along...”

Her left ear drooped while the right one raised. “Does the Quadrail company allow those not directly involved in building or maintaining the trains to get involved with improving safety?” Miss Harou nodded. “Up to a point at least. We do expect some consideration for budgets and require some proof that your idea might be feasible.” She sipped from her own glass before continuing. “Now I’ve reviewed your written application and honestly, you do make a good first impression.” She sighed. “But I’m not convinced just yet. Can you work with a crew of rowdy Ushi-Oni? Iris is not a good example of her species in that regard, most others would have demanded an ale for starters.” She smiled at Iris. “Still, she’s good at what she does and less destructive than others.”

Iris grinned. “I still break things now and again, sorry.” Miss Harou waved that away and grilled Natty for a good twenty minutes before concluding the interview. “Well, I think you’ll do fine. Welcome to the Quadrail miss Aosagi. Now, I believe Iris has asked the afternoon off to show you around town, but I expect you in the central control office early tomorrow morning. Gandou shall be present to get you accustomed to this particular line of work. Hands off though, he’s spoken for even if I can’t put pheromones on him.” After saying goodbye, Natty and Iris left the building and high-fived. “Wahoo~! I’ve got a new job.” Iris nodded. “Ay-yup, but lets go get some grub now. I’m starving.”

Not waiting for a reply, she picked up Natty with a huge hand and set the Cabbit comfortably on her abdomen. Some mamonme are built for pure speed, with lithe bodies and muscles that project the image of a good runner. Ushi-Oni though relied on their innate power and legendary endurance to get up to speed. They needed to learn, safely of course, when to put on the brakes so their trundling would not carry them through a house. Riding on Iris’ abdomen was reminiscent of flying with Mi-Fi in that every movement was carefully planned and weighed against instinctual calculations. Natty might have run faster, honestly, but this was still damn fast. The shops raced past as people cleared the centre of the street for Iris’ approach.

“Watch it!” A Lamia glared as her tail was stepped on accidentally. “Da~arliing~! I need you to heal my tail.” the man next to her smiled at her and she stopped glaring in order to pout prettily in his embrace. Meanwhile Iris slowed gradually, using a few turns to lose excess speed before finally coming to a stop in front of a grill and bar. The size of the double doors indicated that it catered to large crowds, conceivably a small Phantom Ship could have sailed in. If she had a collapsible mast. Natty clambered off of Iris’ abdomen and prodded one of her legs. “Wow, not bad. You would actually make a fun racing rival if you feel up for it.” Iris grinned at the compliment, then led the way inside. “Hey~! Its Iris~! Hello~oh!” A cheerful voice drifted down along with a diminutive mamonme who promptly glomped Iris’ head.

“Finally. I’ve missed you.” Iris returned the hug gently before cradling the tiny form and turning back to Natty. “Hey Ithyali, how are you? I’d like you to meet a friend of mine, Aosagi Natty. Natty, this is Shikku Ithyali.” A small hand with a covering of dusky blue chitin in spots extended tentatively and Natty gently grasped it. “Hello Ithyali, nice to meet you.” She looked the child over. “You’re a Polimana, right? And cute as can be.” Ithyali giggled, then reached up and touched Natty’s ears. “And you’re… Oh, I don’t know, but your ears are soft.” Natty chuckled. “I’m a Cabbit, see?” Ithyali was amazed, her dark green eyes shimmering in their inhuman splendor. Finally, she returned her attention to Iris and insisted cutely that Iris had better tell what she’d been up to.

The small restaurant was run by Ithyali’s parents and a couple of Cukaliki, whom obviously knew Iris as the three were shown to a table built for Ushi-Oni with a practiced ease. Looking over the menu, Natty was surprised at the variety of dishes: various meats, vegetables and fish. “Iris, will you tell me now?” Iris nodded. “Well, I had been visiting moms, she’d been helping out aunt Rukia with…” After getting the story, Ithyali was grinning. “So miss Natty, you’ve got a flying bunny sister?” Natty laughed aloud, as did Iris. “Mi-Fi doesn’t have wings, but she can pilot flying machines Ithyali. Or...” Natty sighed. “Before the big crash, she hasn’t flown since.” Ithyali looked sad, but quickly cheered up as Iris suggested that they dance together while waiting for their food.

Natty was amazed as the Ushi-Oni gently requested the use of the dancefloor, it was big enough for her and maybe three smaller people. Natty saw one of the men married to a Cukaliki move to a control panel and flipping switches. A mechanical arm with a needle moved downward to a hole that had opened in the connected counter. From it rose a spinner with an enchanted crystal disc laying on top. The music that started playing as the lights dimmed and a spotlight flared on was instantly recognized by all who heard it. “Wow, My Heart Waiting For Your Love...” An honest to goodness love-song perhaps, but sung by Thundersnail and the Shellshockers.

Thundersnail had been one of the most talented singers and spark-guitar players known to Praxis, but she’d gone missing following her last concert. One where she’d shown up in tears, barely able to speak for some reason and then fleeing. Even nearly two decades later the band’s songs had not lost even a fraction of their raw, emotional power. Natty wanted to dance along, but settled for singing along as Iris danced. Her eight legs rose and fell one by one while her arms ponderously, yet gracefully arced through the air, sometimes grasping the floor. When she did this, Iris used her prodigious strength to swing her abdomen off the ground and turn a full circle.

She did this so skillfully that little Ithyali, who used Iris’ abdomen as a mini-stage, did not falter in her dance. “They love dancing together.” Natty turned to see a man in a rather enticing apron smile at the girls on the dancefloor. His green eyes marked him as a relative of Ithyali’s, but Natty was surprised that he’d wear any garment depicting a bent-over Cukaliki enjoying some attention. Humans usually were a bit too prudish for that in her experience. “I can see that, they must dance often to work together so well.” She got a grin in reply. “Definitely, miss. The name’s Naet, chef cook here. May I know your name?” Natty introduced herself, though she was a bit disappointed to learn later that Naet wore his wife’s likeness on his apron.

As the song ended, Iris and Ithyali returned to the table, ready for the delicious food Naet had brought to bear.
Back in Yumedai Mi-Fi was unaware that she was being observed. She’d made the mistake of playing love darts with the three little Ureonggaksi, not knowing that they would shoot the darts at one another with blowpipes. For an Ureonggaksi this was a fun way to pass the time, sniping each other in the foot. Mi-Fi however would not be sitting down without a pillow instead, even if she tried not to show it to the girls.
Last edited by Boomerang on Wed May 25, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Boomerang
Magician
Magician

Re: Childhood Memories: Fragments of another time

Post by Boomerang »

Yoink, this one in reserve.
Boomerang
Magician
Magician

Re: Childhood Memories: Fragments of another time ch5

Post by Boomerang »

And a new chapter. Slow build-up is the key with this LONG story.
Boomerang
Magician
Magician

Re: Childhood Memories: Fragments of another time ch5

Post by Boomerang »

Dunno why I bother really, but if you like/dislike the story so far, please comment. Its a long one with more than just mg+boy=sex content.
Zadocfish
High Priestess
High Priestess
Favorite Monster Type: None

Re: Childhood Memories: Fragments of another time ch6

Post by Zadocfish »

I tried to get into it, really. But I kept getting distracted by the following question: What setting is this supposed to be taking place in the future of? There's Zipangu, but there's Mamonme... I know MGE, but I haven't been able to read much into Praxis largely due to the tiny, wedding-invitation font of the texts for the profiles. If you could tell me what universe this is, I'd have an easier time reading it.
I am a Christian. I also really, really like fish.
Boomerang
Magician
Magician

Post by Boomerang »

Zadocfish wrote:I tried to get into it, really. But I kept getting distracted by the following question: What setting is this supposed to be taking place in the future of? There's Zipangu, but there's Mamonme... I know MGE, but I haven't been able to read much into Praxis largely due to the tiny, wedding-invitation font of the texts for the profiles. If you could tell me what universe this is, I'd have an easier time reading it.
Well, please check the wiki or the DA Praxis Setting Group for the profiles in larger fonts and a bit more info. ^_~
In a nutshell though, it takes place in the Praxis setting universe. Zipangu exists on Praxis, but it only shares a name with the MGE-verse one (and several others, including earth mythology). Tsuki no Usako and Zenko rule there, predominantly, with the Usako Empress being considered (at least by outsiders) to rule all of the continent.

This story takes place in the as of yet unnamed 'future era' 1200 years from the start of the Renaissance era. A time leading up to the upcoming Star Treaders story (by Raet) which you might say is comparable... if not completely so, to approaching modern times on earth. Lady Eiraiha (of Ishfell-Saerti) still leads Praxis as the principal Goddess, attends family meetings of the Saerti-clan and works to make the world a better place. Yet at this time she does so from New Heaven, and the Matrika Beluaine (post DE-issue Demon Lord title replacement, think mother of all mamonme) is Maraina vi Alloriel (first seen in Taking Chances). Ergh, I want to tell more, but when it comes to Praxis I tend to gush a bit. =P So, check the above links please and let me know what you think of the story once you've digested it. Reading The Beckoning Sky also helps as its the story directly before this one.

One thingy in parting, the Praxian Ushi-Oni is based off of an African spider which has... ginormous spikes on its quite large abdomen. So little Ithyali using Iris' abdomen as a stage is feasible. =D
Zadocfish
High Priestess
High Priestess
Favorite Monster Type: None

Post by Zadocfish »

Thank you very much. Now, I've got a handle on the setting. That said, most of the mamonme you in this story don't seem to have profiles, like the Cabbit and Ushi-Oni.

Enough about that, though. I want to explain, because as a writer you deserve to know, why I could not for the life of me get through more than the first chapter-and-a-half. When I write, I strongly want to know everything wrong with my writing, so that I can slowly get better; I'm assuming the same is true for you, so I'll be honest. We've all had to learn to write, and I'm sorry it took until Chapter 6 for you to get some feedback.
Spoiler: show
Natty’s ears drooped. “And, erhhh…. Well, I didn’t want to stick around the Suszaku array after I caught that idiot badmouthing Mi-Fi.” The claws flexing out of her rabbit-like feet attested to the vehemence that had accompanied her reply then, or Wi was the son of a goat. He nodded and spoke: “We heard the news about that flying contraption, but they did not mention whom the pilot was. But you two are always welcome in Yumedai. I take it that you might want to wash the dust of the road away? We’ll put you up of course.” Uzumii smiled her special smile at him then, fangs flashing in appreciation. “I insist of course.” Mi-Fi and Natty smiled happily. “We’d be honoured, Fan-san, Uzu-nee.” Mi-Fi sighed.
The passage above contains a microcosm of the problems I had reading this. First, pay close attention to this sentence: "The claws flexing out of her rabbit-like feet attested to the vehemence that had accompanied her reply then, or Wi was the son of a goat." Read that aloud, maybe once or twice. It's stiff and unnatural. A better way to describe the same thing might be, "Her foot-claws flexed vehemently as she spoke," something like that. This is a hard lesson for new writers to latch on to, but fewer, more active words are better than more words.

A more basic lesson is this: Any time anyone speaks, ever, make it a new paragraph. "Less words" is a good lesson, but it can be worked around. I want you to really remember about the dialogue, though, because that is a very essential rule of writing. When a new speaker speaks, start a new paragraph. Every single time.

Now, a lot of the problems keeping me from being interested in the plot were due to me not having read the previous work. I would suggest linking to it before the story; as far as I can tell, it is impossible to have any but the vaguest idea of what's happening without the first story. The writing style seems vague enough by itself; you're pretty sparse on descriptions, and while that's not always a bad thing, it means it's hard to have a mental picture of what's happening in the story.

The problem is, while it isn't TOO hard to read, it's hard to get interested in it enough to keep reading. I don't know enough about the plot to offer any other ways to frame it that would make it more interesting, either... I'm sorry. Basically, the wording could use some "tightening up" as it were. And maybe more descriptions, but not too much more. That's all I have, for now.
I am a Christian. I also really, really like fish.
Boomerang
Magician
Magician

Post by Boomerang »

I'm sorry for the late reply. >_< Its just been quite busy due to... circumstances.
In any case I'd like to thank you for your advice, good at that. I've included the prior story up above and will try to work in your advice.

The thing is though that this story has a slow build-up due to the fact that it is taking place in an age between the Renaissance (current age of Praxis) and the age described in the Star Treaders preview. And that its theme of loss and new life needs the time to fully work out. The first several chapters are intended to familiarize readers with the age, characters and environment before the action kicks off. There will be a lot of action, if not save-the-world scale, but taking less time to build up to that would... compromise the story.